It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Meteor Sightings Across 5 U.S. States

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
If you look at this link, it seems Nasa predicted this meteor as a close near earh approache: 2004 M04 . Maybe that's the one people saw?

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Also about the meteors that were seen in five states. I have been doing some research and found that these reports are happening in many parts of the world. I am even starting to believe that the Ausie Bloke thing was some sort of "cry wolf" situation, probably we are not going to get hit by what AB said, i still don't see any evidence for that. But perhaps there are fears that there could be some local damage caused by meteorites? i mean, i remember in the past that meteor showers were pretty predictable, but nowadays we are having unpredictable weather and unpredictable meteor showers

I think the first place that started having reports of meteors was Spain in January 4th, 2004.

Here is a link to the reports and videos of the meteors, some of them became meteorites as they crashed on parts of Spain, but they were pretty small.

Here is an excerpt from this report.

"Hundreds of people across the Iberian peninsula witnessed a spectacular fireball in the late afternoon of January 4, 2004. Sightings were reported all across the peninsula from the Nortwest Atlantic coast to the southeast Mediterranean coast of Spain. Loud sonic booms were heard. "

Excerpted from.
www.xs4all.nl...

This plus all the other sightings that have been reported are looking pretty suspicious. As i said, I still don't think that we will see what AB said, but it does sound like a "cry wolf" situation to me.

----Edited this part from my previous response----

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Definately not!! It says it's 10.4 lunar distances away - a huge amount when you think that there has been one in recent months that came between the Earth and Moon!

To actually be able to see the Meteor like this (as a fireball) it would have to be going through the Earth's Atmosphere for the friction to be created to make it into a fireball.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Ok, I understand. At least I learnt something today.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Oh your right, there have been lots of meteors in the news over the last month or so, starting with the Washington one. The problem is there have been others before, including at least one caught on film.
What we have to ascertain is: if there are actually more, substantial, meteors hitting our atmosphere, or if the Aussie Bloke hoax has just made everyone pay more attention.

If I am perfectly honest, I have paid more attention to meteor strikes and hunted them out of the news more since the whole AB thing.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by rai76
Ok, I understand. At least I learnt something today.

We're all here to learn! It's better for people to come forward with information then it is for them to be too scared to come forward incase of ridicule or something! Never be put off from saying your point of view!

Trust me, I'm the master of spouting rubbish a lot of the time, when I think I am being really clever! Probably doing it now....... Pls excuse the whiskey...

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Hey everyone, some more interesting details about all this. An article has sprung on the The Ark City Traveler (local media) website written by Judy Welch...some interesting parts:

A big ball of fire in last night's sky over Cowley County was more than likely space junk falling to earth and not a meteor, according to Dr. Jason Ferguson, an astronomer at Wichita State.

Authorities all across the county received reports about 10 p.m. of everything from a plane crashing to a flash, a glow, a big ball of fire and a low rumble.

Emergency personnel across the county were notified by the Winfield Police Dispatcher while the Kansas Highway Patrol called McConnell Air Force Base and Wichita's airport to see if any planes were missing. There was nothing to indicate a plane was down at that point, so grid searches were called off.

If it had been a meteor shower, it would have kept going and not ended so quickly. In addition, meteor showers usually occur during the early morning hours in the summer, according to Ferguson.

www.arkcity.net...

[edit on 8-7-2004 by rangeroftheeast]

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Interesting stuff. I saw the one that came over the Northwest a few months ago. I was looking at Space.com impact risks. Man, is Toutatis ever going to come close in September and it's a big mother. Let's just hope NASA's calculations are correct.

TPL

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by DEEZNUTZ
Interesting stuff. I saw the one that came over the Northwest a few months ago. I was looking at Space.com impact risks. Man, is Toutatis ever going to come close in September and it's a big mother. Let's just hope NASA's calculations are correct.

Didnt one of NASA's satellites crash because some didnt convert inches to centimetres?

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Dallas police have video of the meteor!

KLTV 7:

A police car dashboard camera in Dallas, Texas caught the light show on camera. The bright ball with the trailing tail can be clearly seen in the video.

Anyone seen this on TV yet?

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Please rangeroftheeast, or other members, if you have any links to the information you are posting post the links. This way if is something you got on the net we can all see the source.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Sorry, I forgot, this is the link:

www.kltv.com...

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Me and my mom saw it last night in Texas..
We thought a plane had exploded or something.

There is also video of it on the local news here.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by shidge.
There is also video of it on the local news here.

Is there anyway you can contact the local news for a copy, or at least ask for a link to the video? I'm certainly interested in viewing the footage!

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 06:39 PM
link   
FOX news is showing the video, FAA is saying probably one or more meteorites.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   
The video is here!

www.nbc5i.com...

Wow! It sure is bright!

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Hmmn...

after looking at the stills that station provided...

I have to say that I was expecting a more conventional meteor... you know, tail, parts breaking off. Funny how the thing looks pretty circular, large, and nearly tailess in most of those shots...

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Why does this professional astronomer make a stupid comment like:

If it had been a meteor shower, it would have kept going and not ended so quickly. In addition, meteor showers usually occur during the early morning hours in the summer, according to Ferguson.

It wasn't supposed to be a 'shower' it was just one particularly large piece entering the atmosphere at that time. So was the Washington meteor not a meteor either then? Or the ones in New Zealand and Australia?
Why is this person trying to pass it off as 'space junk' when the authorities have already said it's a meteor?
If the National Weather Service was telling the truth about NORAD and FEMA, seeing as it's NORAD's job to track space debris, wouldn't they have been pretty quick in identifying it as space junk? Or is their system defective?

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 01:46 AM
link   
EDIT - Accidently posted false information - deleted.

[edit on 9-7-2004 by AgentSmith]

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 02:40 AM
link   
East Texas

METEOR STREAKS
ACROSS EAST TEXAS SKIES

By: MARK COLLETTE, Staff Writer July 08, 2004

ATHENS - As a shining scrap of space stuff soared over East Texas skies Wednesday night, a different spectacle slithered its way into existence, leaving behind another kind of darkness.

At about 9 p.m., when callers started flooding law enforcement agencies with reports of a fireball in the sky, about 4,000 customers of Trinity Valley Electric Cooperative in Henderson County lost power.

But celestial providence was not to blame, according to Trinity Valley spokesman Jerry Boze. He said a snake wormed its way around protective guards at a power substation, met an untimely death and plunged areas around Brownsboro and Chandler into darkness for about an hour.

"The dispatch manager said it must have occurred just about the same time the meteor shower come over," Boze said.

The meteor, a blazing, pulsating ball of brilliant white, green and red, prompted calls from a five-state region.

"The thing was seen from Memphis through eastern Oklahoma as far north as Tulsa and down to the Houston air route center," said John Clabes, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration.

"I never saw anything that large fall out of the sky," said Jeff LaCroix, who spotted what appeared to be a fireball over the Fort Worth sky. "It traveled all the way across the sky until it burned itself out close to the ground."

Clabes said the spotting was obviously a meteorite. "I think it's probably a shower. Instead of one, it's probably several," he said.

A spokesman for the National Weather Service in Fort Worth said the sightings were not tied to a weather event.

Dallas television station WFAA posted video footage of the meteor on its Web site, www.wfaa.com.

The video was captured on a police officer's dashboard camera during a routine traffic stop. The meteor appears to pulsate as it changes colors.

Boze, who called the snake's timing "purely coincidental," wasn't sure what kind of snake it was.

"But it don't take much of one to cause a big problem," he said.

Mark Collette covers Southern Smith and Upshur counties. He can be reached at 903.596.6303. e-mail: news@tylerpaper.com

Tyler Morning Telegraph 2004

The lights go out at the same time as the meteor is seen? And it's due to a snake? I'm originally from East Texas (Tyler to be exact) and I find this to be pure hoakum.
Something strange is going on here.
joey

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join