It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2011

page: 339
<< 336  337  338    340  341  342 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I would like some of our resident experts to look at this link. This is a station in Hockley, TX. It states that the start date is 10-28-11.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Are all the readings from the Peru quake? I first looked at it a 18:45 CT but it has activity showing later?

Am asking because a friend wanted to know if there had been an earthquake today. She was waiting for her car and said it felt like she was lifted up and then dropped. She was in downtown Houston and felt it about 3:30 or so.

Thanks.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by crazydaisy

Ha ha, it is tomorrow and I am still here!

Thanks CD. Guess we will all have to move on to 21st Dec, or to 2029 and 2036! Apophis comes!!!

After 22 Dec 2012, anytime some nut claims the end of the world is coming.

I am going to say. "Open your phone, look at the date on it, it's not 21 December 2012 any more, that dog won't hunt. Now go away, you're wasting my time, bandwidth, oxygen and patience."

So back to EQ's

So we've got solid data showing there was atmospheric heating precursor for three huge quakes recently recorded and proven.... How many people are going to have to die before we can get CONgress to fund the research, science and development of a detection system for that Quake Precursor 'heating' effect.?

Too many is my best guess, it's going to take a nasty event to get anything in the works.

M.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
big one[Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 23:55:17 +0000 UTC
NEAR COAST OF PERU Mwp=6.2 Np=11 2011/10/28 23:46:04.6 14.6S 76.0W 24km ]
www.emsc-csem.org...

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

Maybe, but if it does then your 8.3 mag in Greece cannot come true so if your prediction was on the basis of a calculation that will spoil it!!

Your diamond looks so much better avatar sized..

edit on 28/10/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

It better be not...hope not.USGS just get it 5.5!

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TXTriker

Oh yes, that is Peru alright. It will fill up most of the area later on.

Give it another few hours.

You should take a look in LISS as there you can see all those stations like Hockley. It is just beginning to build up now, but it will not be as black as say the Kermedec quake.

aslwww.cr.usgs.gov...

She was in downtown Houston and felt it about 3:30 or so.

What time is that in UTC? UTC -5 so no not the Peru quake as that would have been 13:54

reply to post by Moshpet

Too many is my best guess, it's going to take a nasty event to get anything in the works.

Or a big one in the States. Rest of the world does not matter.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

reply to post by MamaJ

EMSC just updated it to mag 7.0 Mw. We will have to wait and see if USGS agree.

www.emsc-csem.org...

2011/10/28 15:54:33 -14.5 -76.17 23 6.87 Mwp GUC No Si 787 km al NO de Visviri

ssn.dgf.uchile.cl...

Russia has not copped it yet, neither have Australia.

geofon.gfz-potsdam.de... 6.9 Mw

The Russians came up with 7.0Ms and 6.4mb

date= 28-Oct-2011 18:54:34.5 lat= -14.53 lon= -76.12
depth= 33km ms: 7/23 mb: 6.4/10

www.ceme.gsras.ru...

and the Aussies
still haven't listed it

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

So...now I was wilfing in definitions of "wilfing"? It stands for (What) Was I Looking For! Who knew there was such a term!? Well...you did!

But I take umbrage with their definition: "Aimless browsing"! I'm on ATS! Reading about quakes! (On topic!) I just get sidetracked & take the roads less traveled!
I do the same thing when I watch a movie. I like the little, less noticed details. I pay too much attention to the backgrounds & props & miss the plot!

Thank goodness I don't fit their profile: male, under 25, at work cyberslacking. China has 'cures' for it. They 'offer' people drugs, acupuncture & shock treatments! Thank goodness I don't live in China.

Thanks for giving me a label for my 'wanderings'!

Back on topic. Japan is suspiciously quiet the last couple of days.
ETA: Never mind I found some. I can't believe I saw Kuril but not Japan, I even looked twice!
edit on 28-10-2011 by wasobservingquietly because: The eyes were the second thing to go!

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   

How long would it take the waves to reach Houston for her to feel them? You edited while I was trying to find a conversion to UTC. The one I found shows 3PM CDT would be 20:00 UTC. Does that sound right?

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
PM, that look like a 6.9 to you?

Click to enlarge

Cause it doesn't to me. Neither in amplitude, duration or signature. 5.8 maybe. Ok so maybe a 6, if I am generous. Phase data on that quake is all over the place. Another one I would not be surprised to see revised down. Way down.
edit on Fri Oct 28th 2011 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

@muzzy

Have to admit I was a little nervous though

you have to be kidding me!!!

by the way we had a young cat that went missing once. We had just got a replacement 6 months later when she turned up again!

When the cat went AWOL I did wonder., it was the 28th then.
Berkland bases a lot of his predictions on missing pets notices

6 months, good grief !

edit on 28-10-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   

The waves were passing through for some time: HKT.IU.00.BHZ.2011.301

Trouble is she would not have felt those - well not unless she is a human seismo!! (Not saying that is impossible)

I can't find any other quake that would fit.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

LVC.IU.10.BHZ.2011.301
LCO.IU..LHZ.2011.301

Maybe not. It is not looking too mag 7ish on LISS yet either.

Can't find the calc I want but looking at this I would say it was not too far off.

www.iris.edu...
or
www.iris.edu...

Looks bigger on that than it does on GEE.

Just discovered an SHZ channel for it.
www.iris.edu...

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

I went to the link. That is something. All that is the Peru quake - wow! I started looking at this stuff back in 2008 with Yellowstone but haven't quite got the hang of reading them unless they show a lot.

Thanks for the help. You do contribute a lot of information and it is appreciated even if I don't post to say so. Prefer to mostly read.

Thanks.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Thanks. The only reason it came up is because it was an unusual feeling for her. Another friend checks with me regularly because she feels things and checks to see if there has been a quake. This was the first time this particular friend had actually felt something.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Italy calling: 4.4 mag

www.emsc-csem.org...

edit on 10/29/2011 by SheldonCooper because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   

I had an experience yesterday similar to your friend. I was lying on the bed watching TV, and it felt like someone pushed it hard several times. It moved horizontally. My friend was in the living room, and yelled to me "did you feel that?!" She had the same experience in the recliner she was sitting on. I have no idea what it was, but I've never felt that before....it was as if someone walked up to the bed and put their hands on the frame and pushed it toward the wall rapidly 3 or 4 times.It was aprox 8:00 last night

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Hi ALL!!!

I wonder what to make of this?? Anyone know anything?? earthquake-report.com... Seems as if people in Quito, Ecuador have felt an EQ.

Reports are coming in of an earthquake Felt in QUITO, ECUADORImportant Update 14:47 UTC : One of our readers has send us the full printout of this earthquake. Thank you so much on behalf of the earthquake-report.com community :
Magnitud 4.0 MLv (IG-EPN)
Fecha – Hora 29/10/2011 08:50:49 TL
29/10/2011 13:50:49 UTC
Localización 0.11°S; 78.41°W
Profundidad 10.00 Km
Zona Prov: PICHINCHA
Distancia epicentral e (hipocentral) a ciudades referenciales 14.6 ( 17.7) km al N 48° E de la ciudad de QUITO
24.7 ( 26.6) km al N 9° E de la ciudad de SANGOLQUÍ
27.4 ( 29.2) km al S 50° O de la ciudad de TABACUNDO
34.0 ( 35.4) km al S 60° O de la ciudad de CAYAMBE
41.1 ( 42.3) km al S 23° O de la ciudad de OTAVALO
47.8 ( 48.9) km al N 21° E de la ciudad de MACHACHI
Reportes recibidos y/o datos adicionales : Se sintio en toda la ciudad de Quito de manera un poco fuerte. (It was felt all over Quito as a little strong )
Información técnica adicional
Incertidumbre en la Localización Latitud +/- 3.0 Km; Longitud +/-2.0 Km; Profundidad +/-0 Km.
Parámetros Fases P=NaN; Fases S=NaN; RMS=1; Gap=NaN°
Fuente IG-EPN
Instituto Geofísico – Escuela Politécnica Nacional
Elaborado: 29-Oct-2011 09:02:49
Update : Based on my own knowledge of Quito, even a small earthquake like this one is enough to trigger landslides. The Quito unofficial housing areas are seen as one of the most dangerous on the planet.
Update : The earthquake seems to be too weak for the international agencies to report on it.
Update : we can call the data official now as they have been printed on the IGEPN seismological site of Ecuador. This is what is shown : Mag= 4.0; Prof (Depth)= 10.00, Lat= -0.11; Long= -78.41, 2011/10/29 13:50:49 UTC
Update : Unofficially we could gather the following information : epicenter 14 km of Quito, depth 10 km, magnitude 4 (we have to warn our readers that the information is unofficial – coming from a newspaper in Quito)
Experience report just in 14:22 UTC : Estaba en el segundo piso de mi casa con mi mascota, mi perro jamas se despega de mi cuando yo estoy en casa y de repente bajo al segundo piso y lo seguí porque fue extraño y apenas llegue al primer piso tembló, salí corriendo por mi madre y la casa se movía de un lado al otro y un pedacito del techo se alcanzo a safar pero no se calló.
Update : We have a lot of visitors from Ecuador in the site at the moment and we ask them ‘please send us your experiences with the form below” “Por favor envíenos sus experiencias con el formulario de abajo” tambien en Español
Update 14:19 UTC : as the international agencies are not delivering any data yet, we have tried to find more information in Ecuador’s seismological agency, but the page from ‘ultimos sismos’ returns a database error!
Update 14:11 UTC : No sign and report from any seismological agency yet
Update : The seismological agency site from Ecuador does not function anymore, which happens regularly if a quake happens near a big city.
Update : We have no details yet of this earthquake. A good sign as very strong to massive earthquakes would have been detected already
“I Have Felt It” reports as received by Earthquake-Report.com
Quito : Good morning– Felt a sustained tremor on the northside of Quito, Ecuador in Carcelen between 8:50 – 9:00 a.m.
Quito : light shaking indicated
Quito : Whole house shook in Cumbaya valley below Quito
Quito : lasted about 20 sec
Valle de Cambaya : Estaba en el segundo piso de mi casa con mi mascota, mi perro jamas se despega de mi cuando yo estoy en casa y de repente bajo al segundo piso y lo seguí porque fue extraño y apenas llegue al primer piso tembló, salí corriendo por mi madre y la casa se movía de un lado al otro y un pedacito del techo se alcanzo a safar pero no se calló.
Quito : Casa tremendo muito. Garrafa caiu no chao!
Quito : We were in our beds and suddenly someone rang the doorbell, I stood up to answer the intercom and then everything started to shake, my hanging plants and lamps were shaking, the movement felt as if you were standing on a carpert and someone pulls violently that carpet
Most important Earthquake Data:
Magnitude : 4.0
UTC Time : 13:50 UTC
Local time at epicenter : 08:50 Local Time
Depth (Hypocenter) : 10 km
Geo-location(s) : see map (north west on the city center)

edit on 29-10-2011 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Moshpet
(Snippity snip...)
So we've got solid data showing there was atmospheric heating precursor for three huge quakes recently recorded and proven.... How many people are going to have to die before we can get CONgress to fund the research, science and development of a detection system for that Quake Precursor 'heating' effect.?

M.

If past history around the world is anything to go by, it's going to take a very nasty event to get your (US) congress to realize that magnitudes more money need to be spent on the whole science of earthquake study.

• There are doubtless important faults that have not yet been detected (or even suspected) and it would be good if more was known about them. Much more money is needed for research and to train new scientists.
  • There are whole regions of the country which have tens of thousands of buildings that are simply not up to standard -- especialy URMs** -- and which either need to be retrofitted or replaced. This is especially so in the PNW and the NMSZ.
  • There are huge expanses of low-lying coastal areas in California and up into the PNW which are at risk of obliteration in the event of even a "moderate" tsunami when the CSZ next lets go, as they don't have anything like adequate sea walls to protect them.
  • There are nuclear power stations built on or near fault lines which require upgrading or further upgrading or need to be shut down to prevent a Fukutastrophe (my word but we know what it means).
  • There is not even a rapid and reliable public warning system in place along the lines of JMA's in Japan, a system which undoubtedly could help to save lives. The Japanese via JMA can get a quake warning to air on TV, radio and even on mobile phones within ten seconds in some cases. They use it because it works and saves lives. In the US, it is still being studied to see if it's of value...
  • There are many people living in quake zones that could have even a mag 8 quake and who don't even know such a thing is possible, because it's been so long since the last really big one in their region.
  • Until the scientific community moves away en bloc from the "predicting quakes is impossible" mindset to "we have to learn how to do the impossible -- and try and save lives", very little funding will be available for such research. Those involved in it now are a minority. They need to become the majority.

**URM = Unreinforced Masonry, generally meaning buildings made of bricks or stone and with no rebar. They are very vulnerable and most likely to collapse in a moderately large quake that would not even severely damage modern, reinforced structures.

I sense your frustration and anger at this situation. The simple fact is that among large, populous, westernized nations, I believe that the USA is more likely to have a huge and devastating quake than any of the others. True, in parts of Europe, such as Italy, Greece and Portugal, big quakes are also likely, and both Italy and Portugal have suffered tsunamis in fairly recent historic times. But the USA has been incredibly fortunate for a long while and the greatest loss of life in a single-event natural disaster was due to a hurricane that hit Galveston in the year 1900. It is estimated that 8,000 people died.

But hurricanes can be tracked these days and although Katrina was a disaster it was nowhere near as bad as it could have been if people had not known it was coming their way.

And that's the problem with quakes, as we all know. There has never been a quake in the US that took anywhere near the lives that were lost in Galveston in 1900, and even though the SanFrancisco quake of 1906 might have claimed half that number (according to some estimates), it pales into insignificance against what is possible if the Cascadia Subduction Zone has one of its megathrust quakes and subsequent tsunamis. Or, even if the San Andreas lets go anywhere near LA, or the New Madrid badly shakes regions around it -- and especially places like Memphis.

And notice I haven't even mentioned the volcanoes (especially in the PNW) and how -- among other things -- more could be done to stop whole communities from settling in the places where lahars are known from previous eruptions.

Congress won't spend the money because they don't see the need. They don't see the need because they are not having that need brought to their attention, and that is because most people either don't know or don't want to believe that one day, the very big one has to happen. And they don't know how bad it could really be -- especiallly if it's not where they usually think it will be. People talk of Califonia but very few even know of the CSZ and the NMSZ (and Wabash Valley).

So, there is little pressure from The People on their elected representatives. And, as I said, those in the science need to re-think some key principles: do they study seismology and geology just because it's interesting, or are they really motivated to find a way to predict quakes, warn people, and perhaps save lives?

Yes, the money will eventually be spent and many of those matters I noted will be addressed, but only when the voting public has suffered a huge tragedy and demands action. That's the way it always seems to work -- and not just in the USA, but everywhere.

And that also will be the time when many more scientists might decide to re-think and put more effort into what is a massive but (I believe) very doable task.

Mike

edit on 29/10/11 by JustMike because: typoze

• posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 11:45 AM
    link   
    reply to post by MamaJ

Hi MamaJ,

I hadn't taken a lot of notice of it as it's quite a small one, and probably not too much to be concerned about in the greater scheme of things. But anyway, here's the USGS report:

Magnitude 4.0 - ECUADOR
    2011 October 29 13:50:49 UTC

* Details
    * Maps

Earthquake Details

* This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

Magnitude 4.0
    Date-Time

* Saturday, October 29, 2011 at 13:50:49 UTC
    * Saturday, October 29, 2011 at 08:50:49 AM at epicenter

Location 0.130°S, 78.370°W
    Depth 3 km (1.9 miles) (poorly constrained)
    Region ECUADOR
    Distances

* 18 km (12 miles) NE (52°) from QUITO, Ecuador
    * 134 km (83 miles) NNE (13°) from Ambato, Ecuador
    * 186 km (116 miles) SE (129°) from Esmeraldas, Ecuador

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 50.7 km (31.5 miles); depth +/- 12.9 km (8.0 miles)
    Parameters Nph= 0, Dmin=0 km, Rmss=0.71 sec, Gp= 0,
    M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=4
    Source

* Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usb0006g8r

Source: USGS

Apparently quite shallow so it's not surprising they are getting some felt reports. It's a ways north of the Peru quakes from yesterday and a bit inland. Could have been triggered by them, though.

Mike

top topics

<< 336  337  338    340  341  342 >>

join