It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2011

page: 342
<< 339  340  341    343  344  345 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Mike, I am just curious if you have ever seen this video. It was during the oil spill. It starts out very slow, but if you watch carefully, you will see the seafloor moving slowly and inching to the right. After about 2:00 is when all hell breaks loose. Watch carefully after the fast slide to the right, you can see the whole seabed rise and fall, then bursts of gas or some kind of explosions....just thought you might be interested in it sincwe you have an interest in the gulf. I would like to hear your thoughts on it.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical

I think this is the post youare looking for:

Originally posted by TXTriker
I would like some of our resident experts to look at this link. This is a station in Hockley, TX. It states that the start date is 10-28-11.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Are all the readings from the Peru quake? I first looked at it a 18:45 CT but it has activity showing later?

Am asking because a friend wanted to know if there had been an earthquake today. She was waiting for her car and said it felt like she was lifted up and then dropped. She was in downtown Houston and felt it about 3:30 or so.

Thanks.

I am about 30 miles south of downtown Houston and did not feel anything similar, nor did my wife who is extremely susceptible to motion sickness and would have felt even a tiny tremor.

I was just asking if the Hockley station was showing the Peru quake and if the waves could have been felt here. I didn't mean to sound as if I thought Houston had an earthquake. Sorry if I confused anyone.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TXTriker

No need to apologise... We understood you on that score.
But we were curious about what your friend reported as she couldn't have felt something from Peru, so I was musing that there could have been a small, localized event where she was.

I remember that some people in Arkansas who were posting on the Arkansas quake swarm thread were reporting localized movement (shaking) of their homes, even when sometimes nothing was showing up on seismographs. It's weird but it happens. I think we even had a few times when people further from a small quake's epicenter reported more shaking than those living closer.

Mike

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

Hi SK,

I recall that video but it's been a while since I saw it. I've just watched the video through again and refreshed my memory. (It's been a while and back during the main Deepwater strife I had my own thread running as we were watching deep-sea ops and it occupied a lot of my time.)

Okay, that camera is mounted on one of the ROVs. If you notice the top center of the screen you'll see some small vertical lines that are numbered and there is also a small vertical red line there like an indicator on a fuel gage. That's actually a bearing indicator (for direction or heading) for the ROV to show where it's pointing. Numbers off to the side show depth. You'll notice that the ROV is moved slightly and this creates the impression that the sea floor moves to one side. In fact it doesn't, it's just due to our perspective.

What was happening here if I recall rightly was a rather complex operation to replace some damaged pipes that ran from the BOP to the riser that actually takes the oil to the surface. The pipes actually sit on the sea floor there and run quite a few yards distant from the BOP at the wellhead and they get covered in silt and stuff pretty quickly.

Well, they had problems! When the mechanical arm on that ROV moved or tried to move one of the lines, the thing fractured or at least cracked and they had stuff spewing out all over, and at the same time they were fighting to control the ROV with its motors to keep it lined up. (In the first couple of minutes you see three sets of blue lights hanging in the background. They are light on three other ROVs they had postioned to provide good lighting of the whole area (as it's pitch black a mile down) and also to use their cameras to better watch what they were doing.

Eventually they got the mess sorted out -- or so they tell us -- and got the new pipe sections installed. They doubtless knew it was going to be messy as they couldn't control the damaged BOP, so what we see there was unlikely to have surprised the operators or engineers. Yes, some sea floor is disturbed and it looks scary on camera, but it was due to mechanical problems with damaged equipment under very high pressure and not a seismic event.

I take my hat off to those ROV technicians and operators. BP's pinstripe-suited idiot brigade gave them a huge mess to sort out (through the fault of said idiots, IMHO) and they did about as well as could be expected.

Sumary: no, it wasn't "subduction" as the vid title suggests. Nothing like it. Just a very messy replace-and-repair operation a mile down in the sea, where nothing is easy to do under the best conditions.

Mike

edit on 29/10/11 by JustMike because: wrote lots more.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

There was a different one that was bogus, but I don't think this one was ever talked about much. Notice that BP had 3 ROVs off in the distance....like they knew something was happening. point you mouse arrow to one of the ridges of the seabed....just leave it there and you will see that although it's slow, it is definitly moving to the right.
edit on 10/29/2011 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/29/2011 by StealthyKat because: grrrr

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

At around 3:15 you can see cracks developing and then the bed starts sliding off to the left. I have to leave for work in a few minutes so if I don't answer you that's why.
edit on 10/29/2011 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

No worries... have a good one at work. See my revised post above for my take on it.

And take my word for it: I am as brassed off with BP's bigwigs as just about anyone, as my own thread attests. (Have vids I made and so on there, that were to keep US members up to date on what was going on when it was wee small hours in the USA -- but daytime here.
) But in this case, the sea floor movement (beyond surface silt) is an illusion and purely due to the ROV moving, as its central gage clearly shows.

Ok I should head off to bed because here and now, it's 2:30 am..

Well, daylight saving ended half an hour ago officially (in Europe) so it's actually 1 am. But feels like... Oh, you know...

Mike

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Deep > 200 km, felt reports on usgs and emsc-csem

www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/earthquake.php?id=241719 mb 5.4

earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/usb0006ggh.php mw 5.5

www.ceme.gsras.ru/cgi-bin/quake_state.pl?sta=20114535 mb 5.6

geofon.gfz-potsdam.de/eqinfo/event.php?id=gfz2011vgaq 5.4

Taiwan's Central Weather Bureau ML 6.5

www.cwb.gov.tw/eng/seismic/Data/quake/EE1030112365147.html

www.cwb.gov.tw/V6e/seismic/Data/detailData/EE1030112365147/detail_frameset.htm

Originally published Saturday, October 29, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Powerful earthquake hits off northeastern Taiwan
The Associated Press

seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2016644483_apastaiwanearthquake.html

TAIPEI, Taiwan —

A powerful earthquake has struck off northeastern Taiwan, but there were no immediate reports of casualties or damage.

Taiwan's Central Weather Bureau says the quake registered magnitude 6.5, while the U.S. Geological Survey puts it at 5.5.

(...)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Today it's Sunday,earthquakes need a rest!

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Removed my post - duplication.

Apologies Mike I had not read down as far as your reply. At least we agree!!!
edit on 30/10/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

mb = 5.4 (167) ML = 5.2 ( 22)

neic.usgs.gov...

That is quite a big difference from 6.5 ML!

I note that Potsdam now have it as 5.6 Mw.

YOJ is the closest public seismo to that and it does not look like a 6.5 on that one: YOJ.JP..BHZ.2011.303

I believe in this instance that the TW Met have got it wrong.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

When I read that news from AP I had to post the discrepancy.

an internal crosslink here, EQ prediction

Hokkaido University says it is possible that another M9.0 hits Japan before February - author murkraz

www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread769995/pg1

Turkey about to fall from 7 day list.

noticed a downward revision of .1 to 7.1 Mw

earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/usb0006bqc.php
edit on 30-10-2011 by jjjtir because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

Yes I saw the Japan one. I have responded on that thread.

Just about to do the changes in rankings so thanks for forewarning me.

I just checked the listings and it has not been lowered in the 8-30 day listying or the QED ASCII listing, and the QED Text (below) The 7.2 highlighted is in the one that is normally the final value.

104122.8 38.711N 43.516E 16G 6.9 7.3 A 0.9 19 556 EASTERN TURKEY. MW 7.2 (WCMT), 7.3 (UCMT), 7.1
(GS). ME 7.2 (GS). ML 6.6 (ISK).

hazards.cr.usgs.gov...

From the tensor solutions it would definitely appear to have been reduced to 7.1 but it is more than a little unusual to find the main web page reduced but not in the 8-30 or QED ASCII or QED Text

Another reduction: The 6.0 Turkey quake now reduced to 5.9. Better hurry, only one remaining.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Thanks Mike! It just goes to show you that seeing is NOT believing these days
I learn something every day on this thread!

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
We have two in California, 90 second period ..

map 3.5 2011/10/30 06:26:42 35.975N 120.023W 0.0 7 km ( 4 mi) SW of Kettleman City, CA

map 4.1 2011/10/30 06:25:19 39.604N 120.473W 14.0 15 km ( 9 mi) SSE of Whitehawk, CA

earthquake.usgs.gov...
edit on 30-10-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dalke07

map 3.5 2011/10/30 06:26:42 35.975N 120.023W 0.0 7 km ( 4 mi) SW of Kettleman City, CA

map 4.1 2011/10/30 06:25:19 39.604N 120.473W 14.0 15 km ( 9 mi) SSE of Whitehawk, CA

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Good Morning! (for me)

I just saw these two....... Calm Down California!!!

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dalke07

earthquake.usgs.gov...

0km depth, so the shake was at the surface? And distance between the two in such a short period is interesting.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by murkraz

No they just could not work it out.

0 km (~0 mile) (poorly constrained)

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
Apologies Mike I had not read down as far as your reply. At least we agree!!!

I'm gonna cut out this piece of screen and frame it!

Seriously though, folks, it's good that we sometimes don't agree. I've learned a lot from Puterman by finding out that what I thought was right, was actually unright nonright ummm... okay, I mean I was sometimes plain wrong.

But I'd rather be corrected than remain in ignorance.

Originally posted by StealthyKat
Thanks Mike! It just goes to show you that seeing is NOT believing these days
I learn something every day on this thread!

Thank you also. I learn something new pretty often too!
That's one reason I enjoy ATS.

On main topic: does anyone have any idea if fracking around the region of the latest quake swarm area in AR has been confirmed or not? I know it was surmised but not sure if we got any real info on it.

Mike

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

On main topic: does anyone have any idea if fracking around the region of the latest quake swarm area in AR has been confirmed or not? I know it was surmised but not sure if we got any real info on it.

Hey Mike!

I just read this a few hours ago and posted the link on the New Arkansas Swarm thread as well.

Here is the link to the article and also to the thread in which I quoted the beginning of the article. It seems as if they are not sure what is up but 8 miles from Quitman drilling continues. I mean....they don't really care do they.

www.arkansasonline.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<< 339  340  341    343  344  345 >>

join