It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2011

page: 225
<< 222  223  224    226  227  228 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Well I was not thinking in terms of a 9.0!

Maybe a 4 or so just to get a feel for it. Don't worry, it won't happen here. Actually after that there was a quake in Clare, a whole 2.3 if I recall, and a couple of tiddlers in Donegal but basically whatever people may say if Africa, Ireland is just about the most seismic hazard free place in the world.

Here is a slightly larger map (Click the smaller one)

edit on 25/8/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   

HAARP, Hurricane Irene and the DC Earthquake …Connected?

"It is still yet to be determined with any certainty whether Hurricane Irene will continue out into the ocean and subside or will it regain its strength and head back inland?

Hoagland describes the dual heavy rain bands in Ophelia as taking on a "tuning fork" interference pattern that moves in lock step with the eye of the storm.
It is Hoagland’s contention “…based on the physics of these images that these bizarre 'tuning fork' patterns — note, geometrically aimed at the precise centers of these respective storms! — are actually a “rainfall side-effect” of an unseen energy technology being applied to these respective storms … in an effort todecrease both their wind velocities, and to simultaneously alter the storms’ tracks themselves.”

"Furthermore, as many are starting to learn about, the HAARP facilities are a prime suspect in this potential disturbance in both seismic activity and hurricane intensity. Perhaps in their attempt to divert the hurricane, it caused an unintended, unusual earthquake in the region? Is it possibly due to the gas and oil firms fracturing the rock layers (fracking) in their efforts to find more resources? The earthquake is highly unusual, in and of itself."

Full article here

www.infowars.com...

Over to you guys!
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

Here is an article I read about Fracking and Virginia. Check it out.....

rt.com...

Multi-stage fracking, which can drill several miles deep in the Earth, has only become prevalent in recent years. Once introduced, however, Arkansas, West Virginia and Texas all saw an unexpected increase in quakes across the region. The correlation has caused concern in other parts of the country, including West Virginia, where residents are asking lawmakers to reconsider the legality of fracking, which can not only cause earthquakes but is overall detrimental to the local ecosystem. One incident in central Virginia occurred in 2008 when fracking caused an explosion of a natural gas pipeline that created a fireball that stretched up to half a mile long and tall and injured five people. Mineral, VA, the site of Tuesday’s quake’s epicenter, is only 90 miles from the West Virginia border, where activists are rallying to change the lax state legislation which has caused companies to conduct fracking operations more and more and recent years.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

This is what I can't understand. I've searched Virginia and can't find much information on fracking there. If anyone can find specific information about fracking, and/or injection wells, please provide me details in a news report.

Someone sent me a map and it had a "fracking accident" in Virginia. But I haven't found a source article to find the exact location.

There, I just found the 2008 incident. It wasn't fracking. It was a pipline. I have not found any evidence that fracking is taking place in the general area around the epicenter.

I know the injection wells in Arkansas are the indirect cause of the northeast quakes. I said quakes, because there is a clustering at present. There are 5 other quakes excluding Virginia.

Here's the Virginia "fracking accident".

www.youtube.com...

Had to add. That article is terrible. It says fracking caused a natural gas pipline to explode. Fracking did not cause the pipeline to explode. Rust, and negligence caused the explosion.

www.istockanalyst.com...

edit on 25-8-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Earthquakes have nothing to do with hurricanes or fracking or anything other than plate tectonics shifting due to continental drift. You guys, it's SCIENTIFICALLY proven and there is no objection. You're reaching for connection that makes absolutely no sense, not even science fiction sense. This should be a place for valid information, so we do not increase the "whackjob" persona that mainstream science/government label groups as you. Be careful before you post that you're not just wanting to hear yourself, um, type.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by jalosangeles2011

I love you too.

Here's an interesting article about a historic quake in Florida. Curious, there was also a 'possible' hurricane at the same time.

www2.highlandstoday.com...

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Robin did you notice West Virginia had a small quake today? I just noticed how it popped in all of the sudden. The Virginia quake was indeed 90 miles from the said "fracking" ..I am now wondering how far the West Virginia one is to "fracking" ??

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jalosangeles2011

This is not true. My house is structurally damaged by the fracking and injection wells in Arkansas and the quakes they have caused. I have the proof and the engineer's reports and the photos and it has been turned over to our attorney. Until you have the facts and live in an area that this is going on in and experience it, you need to refrain from stating what you do not know. The 4.0 did the most damage here.

www.washingtonsblog.com...
edit on 25-8-2011 by SusanFrey because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
More on Fracking. Hope it's helpful. Here's "5 Things the Media Isn't Telling You About Human Activity and Earthquakes" from the Raw Story.

Note the EQ and human activity references in AR, CO, NM and VA:

1. Human activity can cause earthquakes. No less an authority than the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) asserts this. And they offer as an illustration a series of atypical Colorado quakes in the 1960s, resulting from the Army’s injection of waste fluid produced by its Rocky Mountain Arsenal chemical weapons plant northeast of Denver.
2. Seismic activity has been linked to the injection of waste water from the unconventional production of natural gas using hydraulic fracturing (also known as fracking). A southeastern New Mexico area that has been experiencing repeated earthquakes since the late 1990s are near the injection wells for oil production waste water, the New Mexico Tech Observatory has reported. In April 2011, in Arkansas, two natural gas wells were closed down until scientists can determine why over a thousand unexplained earthquakes occurred in areas near drilling sites and waste injection wells. Since the well’s closing, a supervisor at the Arkansas Geological Survey reports, incidence of earthquakes have declined dramatically, much as they did in Colorado fifty years ago.
3. The petroleum industry is resistant to taking into account scientific and historical data. In late summer 2001, a swarm of earthquakes occurred near fracking waste water injection wells outside of Trinidad, Colorado, and USGS has not ruled out the wells as the cause. The epicenter of the August 22 Colorado quake was Trinidad, the capital of Las Animas County, the vastest county in Colorado and, for over a decade, the hotbed of state’s most extensive fracking operations, including the unconventional coalbed methane extraction. Las Animas is one of seven locations in the U.S. where the EPA announced that it will launch a study to determine the impacts of hydraulic fracturing, focusing on Las Animas' drinking water. But local groups say the physical stability of the region could be at risk.
4. Nuclear plants which lie on fault lines intensify the risks of earthquakes. With Japan’s nuclear catastrophe on the public radar, the nuclear power industry has been quick to assure that American reactors have been built to resist such seismic events. The North Anna nuclear plant, less than 20 miles from the Virginia quake, shut down automatically, venting a small amount of steam but no radioactive material, according to plant spokesperson. But one reactor is already not functioning and the others are running on diesel. As early as 1973, plant owners knew that a fault line ran under the reactors, and covered it up. The plant was built amid mudslide and rock falls, clear signs of geological instability.
5. Industry often seeks to keep information and historical data private.The epicenter of Virginia’s earthquake lies on the Marcellus Shale. Though no hydraulic fracturing permits have been issued due to a legal suit by the Southern Environmental Law Center, the Center considers the George Washington National Forest -- much of which lies above the Marcellus -- among the ten most endangered in the South due to hydraulic fracturing plans for the area. A half century of lessons from Colorado's history with fluid injection and earthquakes will be essential to safeguard the integrity of Virginia’s fragile and ecologically essential Marcellus region. But while Virginia’s Marcellus has not been fracked yet, the commonwealth has been in the forefront of coal bed methane extraction, which -- like shale bed extraction -- depends on hydraulic fracturing, horizontal drilling, blasting, explosions and injection of waste water under the earth.

Raw Story

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Magnitude mb 5.0
Region VANUATU
Date time 2011-08-25 14:23:50.0 UTC
Location 18.33 S ; 167.77 E
Depth 80 km
Distances 1126 km W Suva (pop 199,455 ; local time 02:23:50.7 2011-08-26)
87 km SW Vila (pop 35,901 ; local time 01:23:50.7 2011-08-26)

Source parameters not yet reviewed by a seismologist
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by SusanFrey

Susan, I'm not being picky, but. It was a 4.7M. There is a significant difference between a 4.0M and 4.7M. Even though it doesn't seem like .7 would matter.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

No we got damage on the 4.0 then the 4.7 made it a lot worse.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by SusanFrey

Gotcha. It was a swarm, there was more than one quake. There were over a thousand.

Oh, and the page you sent me finally popped up. Don't have time to read it. Hope nothing much happens until I get home. But I have a feeling they'll be something.

[
edit on 25-8-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by jalosangeles2011
Earthquakes have nothing to do with hurricanes or fracking or anything other than plate tectonics shifting due to continental drift. You guys, it's SCIENTIFICALLY proven and there is no objection. You're reaching for connection that makes absolutely no sense, not even science fiction sense. This should be a place for valid information, so we do not increase the "whackjob" persona that mainstream science/government label groups as you. Be careful before you post that you're not just wanting to hear yourself, um, type.

I have just three things to say to that comment:

RUBBISH - USGS have admitted the connection
RUBBISH - High pressure injection has been proven in Switzerland to cause earthquakes
RUBBISH - Earthquakes are also caused by magma.

This is very much a place for valid information on this thread and I intend to keep it so. There are plenty of threads outside this one for speculation.

Be aware also that we get visits from seismologists and geologists, and indeed have both as members who contribute on this thread.

You're reaching for connection that makes absolutely no sense, not even science fiction sense

No one on this thread is making any connection that does not make sense.

If you want an example of what does not make sense then connections by Alex Jones - Infowars - between HAARP and earthquakes is one. Don't believe me? Read this and then tell me that it can!

On the other hand go read ALL of the Arkansas thread and then come back and tell me that fracking and high pressure injection do not cause earthquakes. Tell me that I wasted many hours looking up information on the web about The Geysers. Tell me I wasted time assimilating information about earthquakes in Basle, Switzerland caused by high pressure water injection for hydro. Tell that to the Icelanders as well.

Hurricanes I agree with

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Well here is another story that may interest you with your studies and researching.

According to geologists, it isn’t the fracking itself that is linked to earthquakes, but the re-injection of waste salt water (as much as 3 million gallons per well) deep into rock beds. Braxton County West Virginia (160 miles from Mineral) has experienced a rash of freak earthquakes (eight in 2010) since fracking operations started there several years ago. According to geologists fracking also caused an outbreak of thousands of minor earthquakes in Arkansas (as many as two dozen in a single day). It’s also linked to freak earthquakes in Texas, western New York, Oklahoma, and Blackpool, England (which had never recorded an earthquake before). I think it’s really hard to deny there’s a connection when the frequency of Arkansas earthquakes dropped by two-thirds when the Arkansas Oil and Gas Commission banned fracking (see www.huffingtonpost.com...). Note that they didn’t stop entirely, which suggests that fault disruption may persist even after fracking stops.

The residents seem to think there is a connection to the fracking.

protectingourwaters.wordpress.com...

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Magnitude mb 5.1
Region VANUATU
Date time 2011-08-25 15:31:13.0 UTC
Location 18.65 S ; 167.59 E
Depth 40 km
Distances 1145 km W Suva (pop 199,455 ; local time 03:31:13.3 2011-08-26)
127 km SW Vila (pop 35,901 ; local time 02:31:13.3 2011-08-26)

Source parameters not yet reviewed by a seismologist

Magnitude M 5.2
Region VANUATU
Date time 2011-08-25 15:16:14.3 UTC
Location 18.56 S ; 167.37 E
Depth 33 km
Distances 1168 km W Suva (pop 199,455 ; local time 03:16:14.3 2011-08-26)
135 km SW Vila (pop 35,901 ; local time 02:16:14.3 2011-08-26)

Source parameters provided by another agency

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I know we like to achieve 24/7 coverage here on Quake Watch but this is ridiculous .............. its 4:36am

Can't sleep

Thanks for looking into the other siesmos, I didn't have time yesterday.

I've had a bit of a look around since and ............... the mystery deepens

Maybe it was the 4.2 aftershock from Virginia?
4.2 2011/08/24 00:04:36 37.912 -77.951 7.9 11 km ( 7 mi) SSW of Mineral, VA
earthquake.usgs.gov...

I had a look on Scientific &Technical, but there is no phase data for that one, so can't see if there was an arrival time at RGR, which if thats the red signal then it would be less than 2 minutes from the event time to match.

Now the mystery ............
To get a comparison I went and had another look at the Virginia 5.8 to get the arrival time delay to RGR (if it was on there) but THE PHASE DATA FOR VIRG. 5.8 HAS BEEN PULLED

You didn't by any chance save the data for that quake at the time did you?, I know you have been covering the 6+ quakes on your blog and posting the pages here and did the Colorado 5.3 the other day ..........

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

Strange, those 2 are not showing on LISS SNZO, but the earlier 5.2 and 5.8 did

aslwww.cr.usgs.gov...

CTAO in Queensland has got them all though

aslwww.cr.usgs.gov...

edit on 25-8-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

I'm trying to find a style of editing to go with these LISS graphs, with a view to starting a page on my blog for SNZO and used todays CTAO as a test.Too bad the size doesn't fit ATS very well, anything less than 750wide and you lose the detail on the traces.
Interesting to see the different sized traces for similar sized quakes (all a learning curve) could hardly see that 6th quake 5.0 by the time the image was resized, you can just see a slight wiggle on full size CTAO itself.

edit on 25-8-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Phase Data for

4.2 2011/08/24 00:04:37 37.912 -77.951 7.9 VIRGINIA

neic.usgs.gov/neis/bulletin/neic_c0005iu6_p.html

5.8 2011/08/23 17:51:05 37.936 -77.933 6.0 VIRGINIA

neic.usgs.gov/neis/bulletin/neic_c0005ild_p.html
edit on 25-8-2011 by jjjtir because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
New quake in the ring of fire:

Magnitude
Date-Time
Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 16:02:16 UTC
Friday, August 26, 2011 at 04:02:16 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones
Depth
105.9 km (65.8 miles)
Region
KURIL ISLANDS
Distances
421 km (261 miles) NE of Kuril'sk, Kuril Islands
462 km (287 miles) SW of Severo-Kuril'sk, Kuril Islands, Russia
727 km (451 miles) ESE of Poronaysk, Russia
1665 km (1034 miles) NE of TOKYO, Japan
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 15.3 km (9.5 miles); depth +/- 8.9 km (5.5 miles)
Parameters
NST=342, Nph=385, Dmin=739.2 km, Rmss=0.95 sec, Gp= 61°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=4
Source
Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)
Event ID
usc0005jna

Be Well

new topics

top topics

<< 222  223  224    226  227  228 >>

join