It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artillery firing heard on South Korea's Yeonpyeong island

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

Who knows, perhaps an even secreter society than the one that controls the U.S government is in play here.

Strategically stretching your military resources geographically? perhaps setting a trap?

Only time will tell.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Trust me, I completely agree with that sentiment.

But South Korea is, besides Japan, our closest ally in Asia. And I feel that from a political standpoint (and I hold my nose as I type this), we need to back them up. Perhaps not militarily (I don't know if you've served in Korea, but I wouldn't want to fight there!), but certainly in a supportive role.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
CNN Ticker said Russia warns of serious incident within hours. (Not exact quote.)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   

North Korea has said the drill could ignite a war and has promised to respond militarily, but has also agreed to a series of actions after former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations Bill Richardson urged the North to not take an aggressive response.

-From CNN.

What exactly is a "series of actions" when it comes to this kind of thing? Lets hope Richardson can make some progress.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by sbctinfantry
CNN Ticker said Russia warns of serious incident within hours. (Not exact quote.)

That scares me a hell of a lot more than the North responding.

Serious action from whom? :S

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Mike Chinoy

Chinoy is an expert on the regional dynamics, and he brings up some good points in this vid from CNN.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
It seems that the North Korea is a little bit compromising ,they have agreed the UN supervisors to return to North Korea... Maybe this can be due to mediating from Richardson ...

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
AP: #ROK says fighter jets launched to deter #DPRK attacks. not good exact qoute

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pirateofpsychonautics
That scares me a hell of a lot more than the North responding.

Serious action from whom? :S

My sentiments exactly. I am sure you are all aware that we are in a military co-existence with South Korea, vowing to support their efforts. China and Russia have vowed to support North Korea.

Essentially if war resumes, as the country is already at war for half a century and is under a ceasefire, we could easily witness WWIII, with at least four nuclear countries at odds.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by tamenie
AP: #ROK says fighter jets launched to deter #DPRK attacks. not good exact qoute

S. Korea Launches Fighter Jets to Deter North
www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   

My sentiments exactly. I am sure you are all aware that we are in a military co-existence with South Korea, vowing to support their efforts. China and Russia have vowed to support North Korea.

Essentially if war resumes, as the country is already at war for half a century and is under a ceasefire, we could easily witness WWIII, with at least four nuclear countries at odds.

Yes, but neither China nor Russia would risk getting in a war with us. Russia is too weak, and China is MUCH too invested in us to go to war at the moment.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by dwiggen
Yes, but neither China nor Russia would risk getting in a war with us. Russia is too weak, and China is MUCH too invested in us to go to war at the moment.

Not as much as you think.

China, Russia, Quit dollar
www.chinadaily.com.cn...

St. Petersburg, Russia - China and Russia have decided to renounce the US dollar and resort to using their own currencies for bilateral trade, Premier Wen Jiabao and his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin announced late on Tuesday

The demise of the dollar
www.independent.co.uk...

In the most profound financial change in recent Middle East history, Gulf Arabs are planning – along with China, Russia, Japan and France – to end dollar dealings for oil, moving instead to a basket of currencies
including the Japanese yen and Chinese yuan, the euro, gold and a new, unified currency planned for nations in the Gulf Co-operation Council, including Saudi Arabia, Abu Dhabi, Kuwait and Qatar.

'Euros Accepted' signs pop up in New York City
www.usatoday.com...
NEW YORK (Reuters) — In the latest example that the U.S. dollar ain't what it used to be, some shops in New York City have begun accepting euros and other foreign currency as payment for merchandise.
"We had decided that money is money and we'll take it and just do the exchange whenever we can with our bank," Robert Chu, owner of East Village Wines, told Reuters television.

Obviously what can ensue is a tirade of similar articles, but the finality and gravity of the issue is that China and Russia no longer feel as tied to us as they once were. There is less shouting of M.A.E.D, which leaves only M.A.D.

Let's hope that's enough.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Furthermore, the rammifications of this would be made apparent within two years, as that's how long inflation would need to adjust from the vast amount of dollars flooding into the US. China is arguably the second largest shareholder in the US Dollar, and to dump in the middle of a war is much more lucrative when you consider the talk of a global SDR.

1) China buys into global partially gold backed SDR.
2) China offloads dollar.
3) Inflation ensues.
4) Chinas yuan collapses.
5) China has a reason to completely dump yuan in favor fully of SDR.
6) US sees war on all fronts, against a united front, collapses and loses superpower status.

Doesn't seem so far fetched now?

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
OH JEEZ HERE WE GO

Based on statements leading up to today's #ROK dril, #DPRK signaled it would retaliate at time and place of its choosing and also blames US.

KCNA (#DPRK): NM Gov. Richardson delivered a present for Kim Jong Il. #Koreas

EXACT QOUT

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Doesn't seem so far fetched now?

Well I won't lie and say that I understand all the economic aspects or ramifications. Usually any talk of inflation and the like goes well over my head!

But I still think it's pretty far fetched, but not for the reasons you've stated. Regardless of what everyone thinks of the US, the fact of the matter is that we are so entrenched in global society (for much of which, for better or worse, we are responsible for) that if we were to completely collapse as a Super Power, the shock waves that would be felt around the world would take decades, if not centuries, to recover from. Don't get me wrong though, I have no illusion that the world would never recover, but those who are in power wouldn't be willing to wait that long... better to keep the status quo and live and let live.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by dwiggen
Well I won't lie and say that I understand all the economic aspects or ramifications. Usually any talk of inflation and the like goes well over my head!

The global SDR is a currency that is mainly digital and backed by gold, unlike the major currencies today. It will inherently have more value as inflation starts to hit, and thus would be a good move for China if it truely seeks independence. The point I stab at, is that this would ultimately be an amazingly opportunistic time for China / Russia and other countries to stick it to the US though North Korea and our Economy in tandem. Wars are mainly fought as distractions these days, and while one hand wages them the other hand is far busier doing more evil that we could imagine.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   

This might seem naive, but do you really think China would be willing to do that? I wonder if any sane nation truly seeks solo world domination any more. China has come a long way over the last fifty years. I would imagine that they could see the value of working with other powerful nations, such as our own, as opposed to undermining them to the point of collapse. All I have is conjecture and supposition, but I honestly can't believe that we still live in a world where super powers are all out to get each other. Again... probably just naivete.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
#ROK defense ministry won't confirm drill has ended. Artillery firing still heard on Yeonpyeong by AP reporter. #Koreas

isint anyone looking at this sigd

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
South Korea is essentially a US protectorate. Therefor they must be protected.

However, I don't think it's wise to instigate things further by holding military drills in disputed territory. That's just my 2 cents, but hey I think war is stupid.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
not to be a downer but..... isn't the only way out of the 'global recession' to have a large scale war that requires the involvement of many(the G8) countries?

i am definatly not in support of another war, and especially not this one which seems to be in the front running for being crowned the messiah of world war 3. if any war is going to start it i'm pretty sure the jury is already out on this one, and yet wouldn't that be exactly what the world leaders would want?

if we take a look all around the globe it is pretty obvious to the unbiased eye what the un-doctored truth is: the economies of the world powers are f*cked. the UK is just a disater with it's debt, unemployment rates, and what looks to be the brink of a civilian revolt. i mean hello, UK=george orwell's 1984 anyone? europe is just a mess across the board, and the USA, well.... that can be summed up in blatant reality that Canada has taken the title of being the economic power of the entire western hemesphere. i mean what happened there? on my own little side note, i would have loved to of known the reaction of world leaders after being sidelined with the news the USA was going down and dragging them with it, but somehow the 51st to the north was staying afloat.... a topsy tervy world i tell ya.

if history teaches us anything among it's outdated pages, it's that war=money and we all know that. don't you think the world powers would be somewhat interested in this option? the global recession has been going on for apparently quite some time even though us common folk were just informed of it in 08 when the USA went bust. i don't know how it is looking to the rest of you, but i do not see a comeback in store the previous top nations. there's only one economic power/cash cow that can hit rock bottom so hard they end up in bedrock, and that is Britney Spears Inc.

i know no one wants a war, but i'm pretty the unfortunate reality is that it's going to happen. now whether it be on it's own, or induced by certain powers in the sidelines, that is another question....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join