It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the Origin of Atheism

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by etherical waterwave

Atheism is so linear it is not too hard to wrap ones brain around it... see I believe alot of different things, why do atheists demand that you choose a category for your belief to fall under ?

I myself gravitate to the OEC crowd but it does not erase the fact that I also understand YEC reasoning and Theistic Evolution, Gap Theory and Progressive Creationism either, I like to take it all in... Atheistic Evolution is just boring though as I have stated quite a bit.

don't let the self-centered, self-proclaimed, wanna-be gods try to back you into a corner and then make you prove your reasoning because it does not mesh with theirs.

I simply say God did it and our understanding or fabrication of time is the confusing factor... Time exist even though we don't actually see it and Atheists believe in it, time is something we created and here you have Atheists worshiping it... it looks kinda funny

I still say the origins of Atheism is because of the evil that men do, but they have a right to be here too... "as long as they live under God's rules"

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

I actually watched that video because I had the time today, very interesting.
It's saying of these brilliant men thinking I don't understand, so God did it. Thus
the God of the Gaps idea
The whole history is very interesting.
In the end what it fails to mention about the 15% of elite scientists today, and those men from the past is that they believe God created the science itself, now we are just trying to understand it, make sense of his creation.
From our perspective true science supports the greatest scientist in the universe God himself.
God doesn't need to be specifically mentioned by a believer who studies science when it is known they already accept it. Why would they?
God wants us to keep learning the science behind HIS creation. Those former scientists embraced that concept.
edit on 31-1-2011 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Its quite simple really.

What do they call it tabla rasa?

Anyway, when we are born we are basically a blank slate ready to be conditioned by our environment. Given what is evident in humans, I am sure it is only a matter of time until any intelligent species get to a point where a young child could be isolated from religion for a long enough time or be exposed to other ideas to the point of not accepting the idea of there being a god.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

Are you seriously using the argument from authority there when almost none of the world's 'elite scientists' are creationists? Sure, they might have a general philosophical notion that there is an infinite source or something like that...but they somehow manage to adhere to naturalistic principles for everything.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact

Atheism is so linear it is not too hard to wrap ones brain around it...

Linear? Atheism isn't linear, it's a single skeptical position. It's a point.

see I believe alot of different things, why do atheists demand that you choose a category for your belief to fall under ?

...we don't have a belief. In fact, atheism means exactly one thing: I do not believe in deities. It's not a category nor is it a belief.

I myself gravitate to the OEC crowd but it does not erase the fact that I also understand YEC reasoning

YEC 'reasoning'? Reasoning? Really? Of all the words you could have used?

and Theistic Evolution, Gap Theory and Progressive Creationism either, I like to take it all in... Atheistic Evolution is just boring though as I have stated quite a bit.

The difference between theistic evolution and atheistic evolution: the personal religious beliefs of the individual. Theistic evolution and atheistic evolution are the same thing. Now, there is the (not evidence based) idea of guided evolution...but that's a separate issue.

Here's the thing though, the only one of the things you've mentioned that has any supporting evidence is evolution.

don't let the self-centered, self-proclaimed, wanna-be gods try to back you into a corner and then make you prove your reasoning because it does not mesh with theirs.

So...two ad hominem attacks and a relinquishing of the logical burden of proof. If I have an idea and I can support it with evidence and you disagree with any evidence or reason...then you're being unreasonable.

I simply say God did it and our understanding or fabrication of time is the confusing factor...

And you simply have no evidence and we have contrary evidence that shows that the diversification of species occurred naturally and will continue doing so long after you and I have passed.

Time exist even though we don't actually see it and Atheists believe in it, time is something we created and here you have Atheists worshiping it... it looks kinda funny

...we didn't create time, the Big Bang created time.

I still say the origins of Atheism is because of the evil that men do, but they have a right to be here too... "as long as they live under God's rules"

Wow, so you're holding to your bigoted, unsupported position.

Guess I'll have to continue reintroducing the questions:

Question 21: Where is the evidence that atheists are evil?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I stand alone while I have an unsupported position. I like it. See them smiley faces everywhere,.. I love the colour green.
edit on 2011/2/1 by etherical waterwave because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Some monkeys have tails, but chimps don't and they say we stem from chimps and our spine has that tailpiece at the bottom stating we stem from them. I don't get it, see?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by etherical waterwave
Some monkeys have tails, but chimps don't and they say we stem from chimps and our spine has that tailpiece at the bottom stating we stem from them. I don't get it, see?

Read this if you want to "get it"

All you have to do is research the things you don't get...

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

We don't stem from chimps, we have a common ancestor with them. We're cousins. The reason we (and chimps) still have tail bones is because the vestiges haven't been selected out.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Maybe you should re-watch the video, to grasp the point.
He actually commented on being concerned about the 15% of elite scientists that believe in God as a creator.
Saying the number should be at 0%, a view I am sure you hold as well.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Proof the bible in its original text is true.

www.pcez.com...

www.theomatics.net...

God is still tring to reach everyone. I say this because this particular code needs a computer to decifer it. So it was made for our generation. God is good

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Im sure the monkeys we evolved from didnt have the capacitie to believe or understand anything.
Im sure that's were it originated.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

I honestly don't care what that number is so long as it doesn't get in the way of science. If you believe that the universe was created from an egg...well, as long as you're not a cosmologist, I don't really care. You get to have whatever beliefs you want, but I can still exercise my freedom of speech about why those beliefs are stupid (ie: the whole world was flooded and there's no evidence for it).

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by BreezeLike

Quick disproofs:

When was Jesus born?
Where was Jesus born?
What is the ancestry of Jesus?
How did Judas die?
Does Pi = 3.14159265?
In what order did the various forms of life arise?
Is there any evidence of a global flood?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

Quick disproofs:

When was Jesus born?
Where was Jesus born?
How did Judas die?
Does Pi = 3.14159265?

I dont know

Jesus was born in Bethlehem.

Im sorry but what is this question relative to?

Matthew 36:24
The Son of man goeth as it is written of him: but woe unto that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! it had been good for that man if he had not been born.

He was tormented and commited suicide.

As far as we know.

We are in the last days my friend and I tell you that Jesus message was all about Love.

Luke 12:56-57
And when ue see the south wind blow, ye say, There will be heat: and it cometh to pass; Ye hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky and of the earth: but how is it that ye do not discern this time? Yea, and why even of yourselves judge ye not what is right?

I believe many people in this country tend to think they have the answer instead of truly researching. (X + Y= Your answer) (example John Doe has his mind made up the about Christianity before he does research) Leaving you searching for answers that make your statement true, instead of seeking the truth. This is the true meaning of ignorance. ( A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.)
Albert Einstein

Theomatics prove the Bible to more than just a book my friend. If you can see that you are in denial.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by BreezeLike

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

Quick disproofs:

When was Jesus born?
Where was Jesus born?
How did Judas die?
Does Pi = 3.14159265?

I dont know

Neither does the Bible...

Jesus was born in Bethlehem.

The one thing the Bible in consistent on, happy you actually caught that.

Im sorry but what is this question relative to?

The Bible presents two separate ancestries of Jesus.

He was tormented and commited suicide.

Or he fell down and exploded in a field.

As far as we know.

Yet the Bible presents the value of pi as 3.

We are in the last days my friend and I tell you that Jesus message was all about Love.

Jesus himself claimed that the last days would occur within the lifetime of some of his first generation disciples...

Luke 12:56-57
And when ue see the south wind blow, ye say, There will be heat: and it cometh to pass; Ye hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky and of the earth: but how is it that ye do not discern this time? Yea, and why even of yourselves judge ye not what is right?

Matthew 24:34

Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

I believe many people in this country tend to think they have the answer instead of truly researching. (X + Y= Your answer) (example John Doe has his mind made up the about Christianity before he does research) Leaving you searching for answers that make your statement true, instead of seeking the truth. This is the true meaning of ignorance. ( A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.)
Albert Einstein

Hooray for distorting the work of a determinist agnostic atheist.

Theomatics prove the Bible to more than just a book my friend. If you can see that you are in denial.

I'm sorry, but 'theomatics'? You mean the thing that's basically a new version of Bible codes? Number wizardry of any book of equivalent length is going to get the same sort of results and this has been shown repeatedly.

Nothing proves the Bible as correct. It is a matter of belief and faith.A

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Atheism has been around longer than religion

but i wont judge you since your picture is Dream Theaters album art

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by AuirOverrun

when Pi is three, what would the geometric figure look like?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Jesus himself claimed that the last days would occur within the lifetime of some of his first generation disciples...

Matthew 24:34

Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

Im glad you qouted the word but you have jumped to Matthew 24:34 without reading anything prior in that chapter. He was refering to what he was speaking about.
Matthew 24:5-7
For many shall come in my name, saying I am Christ; and shall deceive many. And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled; for all these things must come to pass,k but the end is not yet. For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom; and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in diversplaces.

Matthew 24:14
And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and the shall the end come.

Matthew 24
Jesus was telling us the signs that we should look for before he returns. The whole chapter is warning us of things to come.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   

I'm sorry, but 'theomatics'? You mean the thing that's basically a new version of Bible codes? Number wizardry of any book of equivalent length is going to get the same sort of results and this has been shown repeatedly.

Nothing proves the Bible as correct. It is a matter of belief and faith.A

Yes it is a matter of faith but the code proves that the bible was not written by man. Sorry if that writting was to much here's some video's. They're short watch em

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

The odds that two of these "wizardry codes" are side by side are 1 in a million.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join