It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Would You End All Religions on This Planet?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Condemned1990
There has not been one, single massacre in history caused by atheist groups.

Except everyone killed by the Soviets.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

There is no valid way to achieve such a goal without using corrupt tactics. We need stupid people anyway, they are humorous..

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

By the way, I AM an atheist. Maybe you're a troll who likes to accuse non-trolls of being trolls. Think before you reply. Actually, think before you even type.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Mr. Saturn,

You can't group those atheists with religious and say they are religious too. Because if we were to argue I can say that they lack a belief so therefore they have no religion.

Now you can see why it is annoying from our point of view. I always try and hold an argument based on logic but what I am seeing is that people attacking a WHOLE group of people based on the thoughts of single individuals. In example, grouping all Christians as nutjobs because a few extremists on our side of the border.

I am always saying that both sides have extremists and that is where the hate and vengeance stems from. However, many of our colleagues would have us think that it is everyone in that group who wants the same outcome when the opposite is true.

You can't sidestep that both sides have extremists. Even though you are trying hard to put those atheists with religious folks, we all know that they lack a belief, therefore, they are not religious.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewlyAwakened

There has not been one, single massacre in history caused by atheist groups.

Except everyone killed by the Soviets.

Not all Soviets are atheists.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

How Would You End All Religions on This Planet?

encourage others to believe in themselves.
their life and perceived purpose 'practiced' throughout.
be the change they wish to see.
forwarding the essence of humanity.

yeah. a bit 'utopian', if you will,

but still...

edit on 12/13/2010 by 12m8keall2c because: bbcode

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by NewlyAwakened

The reason many countries like the Soviets were atheistic is because they wanted to keep the Church from taking any of their power and swaying any of the people.

However religion has been the direct cause of death and suffering, Spanish Inquisition anyone? Burning anyone who didn't accept Christ at the stake, charging people like Galileo with heresy, burning witches and homosexuals, etc all directly linked with their beliefs.

Atheism doesn't have any dogma or credo, its not an ideology, its just a position on belief in god(s). It cannot logically be linked to any atrocities committed by totalitarian regimes who happened to be anti-religion.
edit on 13-12-2010 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by BobbinHood

Hah...I guarantee you...give all of these religions total control of the military + carte blanche on their actions and there'd be a 3rd world war faster than you could say Cheezeonions. You may not be violent or whatever... but the vast majority of religious ppl do believe in the holy war/armaggedon...of ANY religion...not just the bad, bad moslems...

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

Very nice. Thanks for explaining that to him and everyone else.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Umm... You're gravely mistaken. Atheism is NOT a religion. It is simply the lack of belief in religious claims and gods. Read a dictionary before making such ridiculous assertions. It is contradictory to claim that non-religious people are religious.

Umm...you're gravely mistaken. Athiesm is not a religion, but you sir, are not an athiest.
You passionately react to something based on an ldeal to the point of promoting violent actions.

Which means, you have a conviction that goes above human mortality.

Atheism is simply a lack in belief of deities. this causes about as much passion as disbelieving in santa clause...anyone whom entertains murdering children for believing in santa is clearly not just someone passively uncaring..but emotionally active in a opposition.

Sorry, your using atheism as a standing ground for a movement of force and violence for ideals..aka, a religious stand.

My dictionary is fine, thanks. sorry, your kicked from the club...go see if the satanic church will accept you

Also, an atheist has no opinion about religious claims. however, they are typically skeptical about such claims.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   

nicely put. If you boil it down: religious ppl kill because their god tells them it's a good idea, meaning their belief is a direct cause of their actions. With Atheism it's not.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
Atheism doesn't have any dogma or credo, its not an ideology, its just a position on belief in god(s). It cannot logically be linked to any atrocities committed by totalitarian regimes who happened to be anti-religion.

Neither can religion, if you can differentiate between the psychological motivations of those in power with your average religious person.

Religion doesn't cause war, ambition does. Religion is just a popular pretext because lots of people buy into it.

But as history has shown, lots of people will kill in the name of ideology too, if those in power can convince them to.

It has nothing to do with religion, unless you broaden the definition of religion to include any trust in leadership figures.

edit on 13-12-2010 by NewlyAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99

Mr. Saturn,

You can't group those atheists with religious and say they are religious too. Because if we were to argue I can say that they lack a belief so therefore they have no religion.

Atheist core values is in being rational.

a violent action to 85% of the world over an ideal is about as irrational as it gets...it flys in the face of atheism.

Sorry...we are trading him with your side...we will take...hmm..Obama in exchange (we know he is just faking the religious belief anyhow)...deal?

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by dude69

Hah...I guarantee you...give all of these religions total control of the military + carte blanche on their actions and there'd be a 3rd world war faster than you could say Cheezeonions. You may not be violent or whatever... but the vast majority of religious ppl do believe in the holy war/armaggedon...of ANY religion...not just the bad, bad moslems...

Ha, well maybe you're right. I guess we can just hang out at the bottom of the ocean while the muslims kill the christians for being infidels, the christians kill the muslims for being terrorists, and the atheists kill everybody for being so retarded. (or maybe because they felt left out)

Then after everyone is dead that felt the need to control each others beliefs, you and I can surface and enjoy our religious freedom while we wait out the nuclear winter.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Yeah...but religious dogma has and will continue to act as the main catalyst for violence and war and is the REASON this mentality still exists in people today...along with the repression of sex, which is a completely natural drive...this also causes aggression. It is a unnatural anti-human scripture which stalls any intellectual progress and it needs to be rid of this planet. The religious disease is engrained in the human psychie to such extend though, that I don't know if it would improve anything, but it would be a hell of a start.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Cant cherry pick, no matter how much you don't want to.

Stalin:
Stalin followed the position adopted by Lenin that religion was an opiate that needed to be removed in order to construct the ideal communist society. To this end, his government promoted atheism through special atheistic education in schools, massive amounts of anti-religious propaganda, the antireligious work of public institutions (especially the Society of the Godless), discriminatory laws, and also a terror campaign against religious believers. By the late 1930s it had become dangerous to be publicly associated with religion.[79]

Stalin's role in the fortunes of the Russian Orthodox Church is complex. Continuous persecution in the 1930s resulted in its near-extinction as a public institution: by 1939, active parishes numbered in the low hundreds (down from 54,000 in 1917), many churches had been leveled, and tens of thousands of priests, monks and nuns were persecuted and killed. Over 100,000 were shot during the purges of 1937–1938.[80] During World War II, the Church was allowed a revival as a patriotic organization, after the NKVD had recruited the new metropolitan, the first after the revolution, as a secret agent. Thousands of parishes were reactivated until a further round of suppression in Khrushchev's time. The Russian Orthodox Church Synod's recognition of the Soviet government and of Stalin personally led to a schism with the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia.

Just days before Stalin's death, certain religious sects were outlawed and persecuted. Many religions popular in the ethnic regions of the Soviet Union including the Roman Catholic Church, Uniats, Baptists, Islam, Buddhism, Judaism, etc. underwent ordeals similar to the Orthodox churches in other parts: thousands of monks were persecuted, and hundreds of churches, synagogues, mosques, temples, sacred monuments, monasteries and other religious buildings were razed.

Pol Pot:
They banned all religion and dispersed minority groups, forbidding them to speak their languages or to practice their customs. They especially targeted Buddhist monks, Muslims, Christians, Western-educated intellectuals, educated people in general, people who had contact with Western countries or with Vietnam, disabled people, and the ethnic Chinese, Laotians and Vietnamese. Some were put in the S-21 camp for interrogation involving torture in cases where a confession was useful to the government. Many others were summarily executed. Confessions forced at S-21 were extracted from prisoners through such methods as raising prisoners by their arms tied behind and dislocating shoulders, removing toenails with pliers, suffocating a prisoner repeatedly, and skinning a person while alive.

Extremism in anything is bad...people use religion for power, and use power for religion. choosing an irrational behavior to counter a irrational belief makes it one in the same.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   

lots of people will kill in the name of ideology too, if those in power can convince them to.

Indeed, any ideology taken to an extreme is a bad thing and this includes a religious ideology. The idea that slaves aren't people or that homosexuals are an abomination and should be killed or that anyone who doesn't accept Christ should be forced to convert.

That's why in response to the OP I said I don't think religion is going away but I hope that its ideas become more moderate. It also needs to stop holding back social progress and keep its hands out of the government and education (- I'm looking at you Creationists and Fundies - ).

As for atheism it has no specific ideology just as theism wouldn't. A theist can be part of any religion and in the same way an atheists opinions can differ just as drastically.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
edit on 13-12-2010 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

And finally, I fully agree

therefore, people whom are using atheism to promote a atrocity agenda should not be then considered athiest but rather a ideal based dogma based on a system of beliefs based strictly on their ideals

aka, a religion...lets think up a nifty name.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
I am getting so sick and tired of everyones' constant rantings
against christianity and all religions.Why don't you all decide
what to do about all of us "religious" nutjobs.
Go on,I dare you all! Just how would you end all religions on
this planet?
What would be your final solution to all persons of faith?

Its written somewhere, that evil has within itself the seeds of its own destruction. So if "religion" as a need set..as an institution or as a political movement is indeed "evil"....then I can have some confidence that it will destroy itself without any help from anyone outside of it self.
The only other instruction of doctrine I can find that is relevent..is to not stand in evils way.

Like anything though it is not the object - it is the handler of it that determines the conseqences...and in this case, religion like air is a benign thing, meaningless without the intentions and actions of those behind it.
Those actions of individal people can be called evil or good etc...but religion itself..imo, cant be. It just 'is.

Personally..I wouldnt destroy religion even if I had the power to, though not because I necessarily think reglion is "good"..or "bad"...I just know how futile the exercise would be....as WE are human.

More to the point..(again, imo), I feel that if your faith is dependant on or 'in' the institutions of religion instead of 'in' or through God, then to me, you are or have already been 'eradicated'....there is nothing for anyone outside of you to destroy, because you have nothing.

Rosha

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   

...allright...maybe we should ship all of the religious nutjobs on to some huge island first. Then give them guns n #.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join