It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extreme & Unusual Weather Thread

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Oz
If you get a chance could you give us a look here in North America and tell us what the hell you might think is going on? Crops are freezing in Florida, Tornado in Oregon, almost unheard of. What is your opnion as to what might be causing this? Really cold tempatures here in Ohio 5 degrees prolonged, should be 44 degrees this time of year. Too much snow for this time of year. Ontario Canada having a huge snowstorm people being rescued via the military. This weather is crazy.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by zenius

Lake Effect snow can be really bad. Just ask anyone on the board right now who lives on one of our Great Lakes. I know Cleveland, Ohio. Buffalo, New York and some of the others usually get hammered really bad with feet and feet of snow off these lakes. I lived in Cleveland for a year and that was enough for me with the weather.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
For the second day in a row, south east Queensland, Australia, has experience some intense storms with hail the size of golf balls. Report
It was very hot and humid this morning and the storms developed very quickly. More storms are expected tomorrow.
Not unusual but extreme in some places.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Yep, more storms this afternoon. Lightning struck about 30 metres from my back door, thought I was gonna have a heart attack! The tv news report said that it was due to a low system on the other side of the country and associated trough running across to Queensland, hot northerly winds and the south east trades contributing to the severity. OOh I love Queensland!

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Signing on today, again more threads about the weather:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

There is so much going on and so many arguements/discussion about the world's weather.
The problem is that people may believe or disbelieve the media.
They may believe or disbelieve the scientists.
They may be influenced by doomsdayers.

The weather on the planet is influenced by many things and a systematic approach is needed, as not one thing by itself will be the cause. There are seasonal and cyclic effects to consider. There are perhaps planetary/solar effects. Atmospheric, oceanic, continental........
Please people, try to look at the whole picture.
Please post your experiences as first hand ones are great. Our memories, as I have shown earlier, may not be so reliable.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Well Australia and especially Queensland is copping it again. It feels like it hasn't stopped raining for weeks. A recent category 1 cyclone became a rain depression and is dumping huge amounts of water over Queensland, causing alot of flooding.
Meanwhile, in Tasmania, at the southern end of the country, well they are experiencing snow.
And over on the west side of the country, they are having a typical hot summer with temps around 40 degrees celcius.
www.news.com.au...

edit on 27-12-2010 by zenius because: link didn't work

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
And so it continues.....Mines are running at lowest capacity, and the amount of water flowing through Rockhampton on the central Queensland coast is equivalent to 7 Olympic sized swimming pools every second. The rain is continuing and Brisbane's average daily sunshine for last month was a mere 4.5 hours per day.

www.couriermail.com.au...
www.couriermail.com.au... /story-e6freon6-1225983599240
www.couriermail.com.au...

Nasa has captured satellite pics of the flooding here< br />
Economically not only are crops and the mining sectors going to suffer, insurance companies and small businesses in the areas affected surely too will be struggling. Lives have been lost, as have livestock and no doubt wildlife. The runoff exiting the river systems are filled with silt, rubbish and pollutants which will affect the coral reef and fish breeding grounds. The flow on effects are enormous.
edit on 7-1-2011 by zenius because: edit

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Possibly the worst floods in Queensland history.
See thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Here in Cornwall its been raining quite heavily at times. Bloody cold at the moment and I think its starting to freeze now as well.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Ok, we had the floods in Queensland and there has been alot written about it. It's still big news here, still people missing presumed dead, lots of damage and lots of heartache.

Now Western Australia has a cyclone, as does Queensland and there is the threat of a second cyclone forming within the week.
I posted the following on the Hurricane/Cyclone/Typhoon Watch thread here

TC Anthony is only a Category 1 which may become a 2, but not worrying those who have been through them before. The one coming in from Fiji is expected to be rather nasty and could become a rather severe system.
link

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Yasi is a confirmed cyclone as at about 5pm this afternoon.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
TC Anthony is due to cross the coast later tonight or early in the morning:

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Look at the pics above does look strange because my cousin is in mackay as it looks like tc Anthony is crossing the coast right now pretty much over the top of mackay and has been hammering down rain for the last 3 hours on the live radar feed here www.bom.gov.au..., TC
My cousin is at ground zero at the moment in Mackay I spoke to him on the phone around 5pm and the severe weather had already began. The cycloe tracked towards the coast extremely quick check this clip from only 2 days ago 28/01.

As you said this is scary looking at the size difference of the cat 2 TC Anthony crossing land and TC Yasi.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by dniMnepO

Yes, TC Anthony seemed to come at the coast with a sudden rush last night. I hope people are preparing. North Queenslanders can become a little complacent imo. Looking at the satellite pics, it reminds me of how Hurricane Katrina looked. Big and Powerful.
Thanks for the youtube animation. That really shows it well.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
TC Yasi looks like it will hit around Townsville as a cat. 4.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/08b2132e4d47.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by dniMnepO

I`m in Proserpine. TC Anthony passed over Bowen last night.Mackay would have copped a lot of rain as it was south of the cyclone. I hope our area doesn`t have a cat 3 or 4 to endure.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Yeah defs extreme weather we are experiencing. Not unusual. People need to remember that tropical cyclones happen every year and those storms that SE queensland gets also happens every year. In saying that i will wait to see what unfolds in the next few months to start calling it unusual.

While we on this subject, the models are really pointing toward alot fo rain ahead for Victoria, when i say that im talking about over 100mm.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Capricornia

All the best to you over the next couple of days. Keep us informed on the conditions there if you can.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by DC449

Is that short or long term models? I imagine short term has ex TC Bianca sending precipitation that way. Better the rain than the bushfires.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
According to (sorry) wikipedia:

Tropical Cyclone Sigma caused destruction from Townsville to Brisbane between 24–27 January 1896.[15] 18 people were killed, most of whom lost their lives when a storm surge caused a breach of the Ross River on 26 January, travelling 3 miles upstream, and flooding parts of Townsville to a depth of 2 metres.[16] Cyclone Mahina, in March 1899, resulted in the greatest death toll of any natural disaster in Australian history. Over 400 people lost their lives. The storm decimated a pearling fleet at Bathurst Bay in Queensland and deaths included the crews of around 100 vessels and an estimated 100 local aboriginals, who were swept out to sea while trying to save shipwrecked crew.[17] Two of the country's strongest cyclones occurred on the North Queensland coast in 1918.[18] The Mackay Cyclone struck Mackay and surrounding regions in late January 1918, in addition to a devastating storm surge and extensive flooding. A Category 4 cyclone with barometric pressure at the eye as low as 933 hPa, Mackay and Rockhampton experienced the death of some 30 people, hundreds of injuries, and $60 million damage. Of the approximate 1400 homes in the Mackay township, 1300 were destroyed or severely damaged.[19] 10 March 1918 saw an even stronger cyclone and storm surge cross the coast at Innisfail, with further desolation at Cairns, Babinda, and on the Atherton Tableland. Barometric pressure measured from outside the cyclone eye was recorded at 926 hPa. Estimates based on height of the storm surge suggest the 1918 Innisfail Cyclone was a "super typhoon" with pressures below 900 hpa at the eye,[18] however recording equipment at the storm centre was badly damaged so an accurate minimum could not be obtained. 37 people perished in the township of Innisfail, with a further 40-60 Aboriginals estimated to have died in outlying areas. With a population of 3,500, Innisfail saw only 12 houses remain unscathed.[20] A Cyclone in Northern Queensland killed 99 people over two days in mid March 1934.[21] The Gold Coast Cyclone struck the Gold Coast on 20 February 1954. Four people were killed during the cyclone,[22] while a further 22 died in the resulting floods around Lismore in Northern New South Wales.[23]

and most recently:

Severe Tropical Cyclone Larry (RSMC Nadi designation: 15F, JTWC designation: 17P) was a tropical cyclone that made landfall in Australia during the 2005-06 Southern Hemisphere tropical cyclone season. Larry originated as a low pressure system over the eastern Coral Sea on 16 March and was monitored by the Australian Bureau of Meteorology in Brisbane, Australia. The low-pressure area formed into a tropical cyclone two days later and quickly strengthened into a Category 5 storm on the Australian tropical cyclone scale. Larry made landfall in Far North Queensland close to Innisfail on 20 March as a Category 4 with wind gusts reaching 240 kilometres per hour (150 mph) and dissipated over land soon after. Cyclone Larry caused nearly A$1 billion in damage, and one fatality.[1]

edit on 31-1-2011 by zenius because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join