It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extreme & Unusual Weather Thread

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Check out this page for a great animation:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by DC449

Agreed that North Qld does endure some of the worst tropical cyclones although this year has been talken about for the past few years saying we are "overdue " for some really big storms and cyclones. This Tropical Cyclone Yasi looks extremely nasty and correct my if Im wrong but TC Anthony has made the perfect climate for TC Yasi to cross the coast with alot of intensity.
Now the thing I am extremely concerned about is that TC Yasi looks as if it could cross the coast further south then Anthony and if it has winds in excess of 400km/h which has been predicted by some models this will be extremely devastating too central Queensland, because unlike houses in Northern Qld "Above Mackay and Bowen", most central queensland houses are NOT built cyclone rated, this means that the roofs have shorter, smaller and less screws in them and windows frames are not made as strong.
reply to post by zenius

As you can see here it is very rare for a tropical cyclone to hit central Queensland which is the reason why houses around here simply just arnt built as strong as houses down south or up north.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
WEll as a single Mom, with a 92 year old Aunt with Alzheimers final stage living at home, 15 pets and an organic farm, I can tell you I am worried, hence the hour and my wakefulness...

Here is what I face...

KSZ073-097-101-MOZ055>058-066>071-077>081-088>091-093-094-101-102-
311345-
/O.CON.KSGF.WS.W.0002.110201T0000Z-110202T1200Z/
BOURBON-CRAWFORD-CHEROKEE-BENTON-MORGAN-MILLER-MARIES-VERNON-
ST. CLAIR-HICKORY-CAMDEN-PULASKI-PHELPS-BARTON-CEDAR-POLK-DALLAS-
LACLEDE-JASPER-DADE-GREENE-WEBSTER-NEWTON-LAWRENCE-MCDONALD-BARRY-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...FORT SCOTT...PITTSBURG...
BAXTER SPRINGS...COLUMBUS...WARSAW...COLE CAMP...VERSAILLES...
ELDON...LAKE OZARK...VIENNA...NEVADA...APPLETON CITY...OSCEOLA...
HERMITAGE...OSAGE BEACH...CAMDENTON...FORT LEONARD WOOD...
WAYNESVILLE...ROLLA...LAMAR...EL DORADO SPRINGS...STOCKTON...
BOLIVAR...BUFFALO...LEBANON...JOPLIN...CARTHAGE...GREENFIELD...
SPRINGFIELD...MARSHFIELD...ROGERSVILLE...NEOSHO...AURORA...
MOUNT VERNON...ANDERSON...PINEVILLE...MONETT...CASSVILLE
1134 PM CST SUN JAN 30 2011

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM MONDAY TO
6 AM CST WEDNESDAY...

A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR SNOW...SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN REMAINS
IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM MONDAY TO 6 AM CST WEDNESDAY.

* TIMING AND AREAS AFFECTED...FREEZING RAIN...SLEET AND SNOW WILL
DEVELOP ACROSS SOUTHEAST KANSAS AND THE MISSOURI OZARKS MONDAY
NIGHT AND BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES LATE MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY.

LIGHT FREEZING DRIZZLE MAY IMPACT SOUTHEAST KANSAS INTO
CENTRAL MISSOURI LATE TONIGHT AND MONDAY...BUT THE WINTER STORM
WILL NOT ARRIVE UNTIL MONDAY NIGHT.

* SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATIONS...HEAVY SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO
12 INCHES ARE EXPECTED. THE HIGHEST ACCUMULATE0NS WITH OVER A FOOT
POSSIBLE WILL OCCUR FROM SOUTHEAST KANSAS INTO CENTRAL MISSOURI.

SIGNIFICANT SLEET ACCUMULATIONS UP TO A HALF INCH ARE
POSSIBLE...ESPECIALLY ALONG AND SOUTH OF INTERSTATE 44.

RAPID ACCUMULATIONS OF WINTER PRECIPITATION WILL BE LIKELY WITH
SNOWFALL RATES POSSIBLY EXCEEDING ONE INCH PER HOUR ON TUESDAY.

* ICE ACCUMULATIONS...FREEZING RAIN ACCUMULATIONS OF ONE TENTH TO
ONE QUARTER OF AN INCH ARE EXPECTED...MAINLY ALONG THE
INTERSTATE 44 CORRIDOR. LOCALLY HEAVIER ACCUMULATIONS UP TO ONE
HALF INCH WILL BE POSSIBLE MAINLY SOUTH OF INTERSTATE 44.

LIGHT FREEZING DRIZZLE WITH LITTLE IF ANY ACCUMULATION MAY
IMPACT SOUTHEAST KANSAS INTO CENTRAL MISSOURI LATE TONIGHT AND
MONDAY

* WINDS AND VISIBILITY...STRONG NORTH WINDS OF 20 TO 30 MPH WITH
HIGHER GUSTS POSSIBLE WILL DEVELOP TUESDAY INTO TUESDAY NIGHT.
THESE WINDS WILL CAUSE BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW.

* IMPACTS...TRAVEL WILL BECOME INCREASINGLY TREACHEROUS MONDAY
NIGHT INTO TUESDAY. WHITEOUT AND POSSIBLY NEAR BLIZZARD
CONDITIONS MAY MAKE TRAVEL NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE AT TIMES TUESDAY.

LOCALIZED TO SCATTERED POWER OUTAGES CANNOT BE RULED OUT...
ESPECIALLY SOUTH OF INTERSTATE 44 WHERE SIGNIFICANT ICE
ACCUMULATION IS MORE LIKELY.

BITTERLY COLD TEMPERATURES WILL FOLLOW THIS STORM AND LAST INTO
FRIDAY MORNING. SUB ZERO TEMPERATURES ARE LIKELY BY THURSDAY
MORNING...WITH WIND CHILLS DROPPING INTO THE 10 TO 20 BELOW
ZERO RANGE AT TIMES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW...
SLEET...AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. STRONG WINDS ARE ALSO
POSSIBLE. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.
CONSIDER TAKING A WINTER STORM KIT ALONG WITH YOU. THIS KIT SHOULD
INCLUDE SUCH ITEMS AS TIRE CHAINS...BOOSTER CABLES...A
FLASHLIGHT...SHOVEL...BLANKETS...EXTRA CLOTHING AND ANYTHING ELSE
THAT WOULD HELP YOU SURVIVE IN CASE YOU BECOME STRANDED.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Deepest condolences, My stepmother has dimensea at its medium stage. That is very abnormal weather im assuming?? Stay safe and I hope you have a good winterpack prepared. This unusual weather seems to be worldwide?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by dniMnepO

Yes I agree. When I lived in Cairns people had a 'she'll be right' attitude. I suppose that was partly due to the fact that there are strict building codes. But the older the house and the further south you go, the chances of destruction increase. But if one strikes in the south east I feel it would be so much worse. Not because of the recent flood event, but because many people wouldn't have previously experienced a cyclone and don't know how powerful and frightening they can be.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Antar, I have never experienced what you are facing. I hope you can find the strength to get through these difficult days and that your family (animals included) remain warm and safe. Prayers are with you. Good luck.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by zenius

I have lived on the Sunshine Coast in Qld for over 20 years and never experienced a cyclone here.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Watches and warnings in effect for 30+ states through Thursday. Yikes. I'm glad I'm not the only one keeping an eye on the weather.

S+F for thread.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by zenius
reply to post by DC449

Is that short or long term models? I imagine short term has ex TC Bianca sending precipitation that way. Better the rain than the bushfires.

Models have been off and on, hinting at something big, but if you work it all together and look at the ingrediants, it is easy to see that we are in for another major flood event here in SE Australia. Feburary and March are known for their extreme weather here in Victoria and i believe it will pan out to be a very extreme 2 months.

Also that cyclone is a much bigger system, huge compared to the first one. Stay safe everyone up their.
edit on 31-1-2011 by DC449 because: Spelling, re-wording

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Thank you, but you know it is really a blessing to have her in our lives, each stage has come with much laughter and joy. She helps keep it real, very real.

As for the storm, well we heat with wood, Ive been out all over putting the finishing touches on preparedness, my Grandparents in town, 16 miles away, got them a generator and loads of supplies, left my 15 yro to help in their neighborhood and be there to help.

Was covering my cold frames, hoop houses and green house, all I can do you know.

It is scary to be responsible, have back up plan for a fire, wanted to get one of my extra woodstoves in the garage this year but it didnt happen, so, just heaps of blankets and family we could go to if we had to leave.

Chicken houses fluffed with hay and heat lamps for now unless power goes, which way out here it does...

Later.
Julie

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by zenius

Pets are family, they live indoors, chickens are going to be good. Plants and kids, Aunt Maizie, all will be fine I am sure. But keep us warm in your prayers if you think it.

They have upgraded to blizzard now, so ice, thunder storms and blizzard. Hum, well I will be back, if not sooner or later.

Julie

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Rundown on Australian weather the past few months.
Drought in 95% Australia
then came the
Flooding Rains 80% of Qld , outback NSW , NW Victoria, Tasmania
Cyclones - 2 for Far North Qld, 1 for Perth
record heat wave for Sydney (previous 5days over 35degC) now forecasting 7 (in day 3 now)
Snow in the Blue Mountains region during xmas

We are going to go broke as a country at the moment - rebuilding this place
So thought this would sum up Australia

The love of field and coppice,
Of green and shaded lanes.
Of ordered woods and gardens
Is running in your veins,
Strong love of grey-blue distance
Brown streams and soft dim skies
I know but cannot share it,
My love is otherwise.

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror -
The wide brown land for me!

A stark white ring-barked forest
All tragic to the moon,
The sapphire-misted mountains,
The hot gold hush of noon.
Green tangle of the brushes,
Where lithe lianas coil,
And orchids deck the tree-tops
And ferns the warm dark soil.

Core of my heart, my country!
Her pitiless blue sky,
When sick at heart, around us,
We see the cattle die -
But then the grey clouds gather,
And we can bless again
The drumming of an army,
The steady, soaking rain.

Core of my heart, my country!
Land of the Rainbow Gold,
For flood and fire and famine,
She pays us back threefold -
Over the thirsty paddocks,
Watch, after many days,
The filmy veil of greenness
That thickens as we gaze.

An opal-hearted country,
A wilful, lavish land -
All you who have not loved her,
You will not understand -
Though earth holds many splendours,
Wherever I may die,
I know to what brown country
My homing thoughts will fly.

Dorothea Mackellar

edit on 31-1-2011 by lavenlaar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Item:

MSM Calling Latest Winter Storm "Potentially Biggest Storm Ever Seen"
www.abovetopsecret.com...
by MadDogtheHunter
started on 1/31/2011 @ 07:39 PM

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Cairns is presently being regarded as ground zero for STC Yasi.
Cairns Post

Friends and family from there are evacuating and moving to high ground. Generators and water are getting harder to get a hold of.

If you are up north, get to a safe place today. Winds are going to start pummelling the coast by tomorrow morning.

ADVICE NO. 6 2PM LOCAL QLD TIME

TOP PRIORITY TROPICAL CYCLONE ADVICE NUMBER 6 Issued by the Bureau of Meteorology, Brisbane Issued at 1:52pm EST on Tuesday the 1st of February 2011 A Cyclone WARNING is current for coastal areas from Cooktown to Sarina. A Cyclone WATCH is current for coastal areas from Lockhart River to Cooktown and Sarina to Yeppoon and for the northern tropical interior. At 1:00 pm EST Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi, Category 3 was estimated to be 1120 kilometres east northeast of Cairns and 1110 kilometres east northeast of Townsville moving west at 34 kilometres per hour. YASI IS A LARGE AND POWERFUL TROPICAL CYCLONE AND POSES A SERIOUS THREAT TO NORTH QUEENSLAND COMMUNITIES The cyclone is expected to slowly intensify overnight as it moves westwards over the Coral Sea. SEVERE TROPICAL CYCLONE YASI, CATEGORY 3 is expected to turn on a more west-southwesterly direction in the next 12 hours. DAMAGING winds with gusts to 90 km/hr are expected to develop on the islands during Wednesday morning, then extend onto the coast during the day, and further inland across southern Cape York Peninsula and north of Charters Towers overnight. Between Cooktown and Townsville these winds will become DESTRUCTIVE with gusts in excess of 125km/hr late Wednesday afternoon. As the centre approaches the coast sea levels will rise above the normal tide with damaging waves and flooding of low lying areas near the shoreline. Flooding rains will develop from Cooktown to Sarina during Wednesday afternoon and then extend inland overnight. People between Cooktown and Sarina should immediately commence or continue preparations, especially securing boats and property [using available daylight hours/before nightfall]. - For cyclone preparedness and safety advice, visit Queensland's Disaster Management Services website [www.disaster.qld.gov.au] - For emergency assistance call the Queensland State Emergency Service [SES] on 132 500 [for assistance with storm damage, rising flood water, fallen trees on buildings or roof damage]. People between Lockhart River and Cooktown and between Sarina and Yeppoon, and southern Cape York Peninsula and inland north of Charters Towers should consider what action they will need to take if the cyclone threat increases. - Information is available from your local government - For cyclone preparedness and safety advice, visit Queensland's Disaster Management Services website [www.disaster.qld.gov.au] - For emergency assistance call the Queensland State Emergency Service [SES] on 132 500 [for assistance with storm damage, rising flood water, fallen trees on buildings or roof damage]. Details of Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi at 1:00 pm EST: .Centre located near...... 14.2 degrees South 155.8 degrees East .Location accuracy........ within 55 kilometres .Recent movement.......... towards the west at 34 kilometres per hour .Wind gusts near centre... 220 kilometres per hour and INTENSIFYING .Severity category........ 3 .Central pressure......... 960 hectoPascals Please ensure that neighbours have heard and understood this message, particularly new arrivals or those who may not fully understand English. The next advice will be issued by 5:00 pm EST Tuesday 01 February.

source

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I have been studying TC Yasi through as many different sources and sats as I can get my eyes onto and I have come up with these interesting images of water vapour it the atmosphere and there is a very dominant black centred spiral looking thing moving towards the south western side of TC Yasi, can anybody please explain what these are and there affects on the TC????
www.goes.noaa.gov...
edit on 31-1-2011 by dniMnepO because: link

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   

The centre is the eye of the cyclone. Yasi's is believed to be 100km wide (that's pretty damn wide). While in the eye of the cyclone the wind and rains stops, the sun may shine and all is calm. After the eye passes the wind picks up again, but from the opposite direction than before the eye. This is where many people get caught out, thinking it is safe to go outside but where many get themselves into trouble.

Yasi is not a cat.4.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fa2e6ec62c6e.gif[/atsimg]

Winds are expected to begin hitting the coast tomorrow morning.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Have you ever experience such extreme conditions where you are before?
I hope all is well. Good luck.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by zenius

It is a very scary weater system indeed but the black spiral i was talking about is only visable in the infared water vapour satellite images

very curious wat these are, is it another smaller cyclone trying to spin up?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Ok, sorry. Have a look at the loop for that pic. There should be a link .....www.goes.noaa.gov...

The water vapour is getting pulled into the system. It's so big and powerful that no other cyclone could survive or thrive next to it.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
It is truly amazing weather system I hope that nobody is injured and the Aussie spirit keeps strong, I helped do repair work after TC Larry rampaged through Innisvale and the aftermath I witnessed was surreal to think that shear wind gusts can be so strong. We came across a complete roof top with trusses intact about 500m from the house down a valley.. Also came across the outside of a house made of bessa blocks the house cracked in half and seperated at some time of cyclone and large sticks and leaves were deep inside the cracks and inside the wall. Keep safe and find a very secure location which you can shelter in during the destructive winds.
Also in reference to the images in my above post could this mini system and in combination of ex-TC Anthony lurking on NSW Border be "dragging" or "feeding" TC Yasi to come further south? MSM is now predicting TC Yasi to come through townsville, Im still around 1,000 kms south but my heart goes out to people up north, be prepared.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join