It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extreme & Unusual Weather Thread

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
There have certainly been a lot of threads about the weather this year, and it's often a topic of conversation in every day life.
Current world weather events have again made international news and recent threads acknowledge this:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
And while the northern hemisphere is experiencing extreme winters, or unseasonal beautiful days, down under is suffering major flooding: www.theaustralian.com.au...

So, in order to track and keep some sort of record of noteworthy world weather events it is hoped that this thread will encourage people to report what is going on in their region which may be unusually extreme or unseasonal.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Now regarding the recent and ongoing flooding in eastern Australia, it is believed to be caused by the La Nina affect which started early this year - about June or July, and is expected to continue into 2011 (source
However, with a strong La Nina, it would be considered that a more frequent occurrance of cyclones would accompany such conditions. Australia has not yet seen any cyclone activity and the monsoon trough which contributes to cyclonic formation is only just beginning to occur just north of the continent. I think this is about a month later than usual.
So with the La Nina and the SE trade winds along the coast, conditons are ripe for rain...and alot of it.

There is no need for climate change arguments here, just plain facts. Please don't turn this thread into a climate debate.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
The cold weather in the US may not be so unusual for this time of year

this cold snap was caused by a strong Arctic front that came through and brought a lot of cold Canadian air down, which he says is fairly common for this time of year
souce

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Colorado is expected to have warmer weather than normal, and the NOAA predicted this and a wetter and colder northwest. Again, this is a side effect of a dominating La Nina.

Now, the conditions in the UK and Europe? Anyone? And none of that gulf stream stopping stuff either.....

HERE is a little background on how complex weather modelling is in the UK.
edit on 13-12-2010 by zenius because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by zenius
The cold weather in the US may not be so unusual for this time of year

this cold snap was caused by a strong Arctic front that came through and brought a lot of cold Canadian air down, which he says is fairly common for this time of year
souce

It's unusual for us here in Florida to get this cold so soon, it's going to be 28 degress Farenheit this Tuesday evening/ WEDNESDAY morning!

WTH did I move here for if it's going to be the same temp here as the northeast?

edit on 13-12-2010 by ldyserenity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Well, according to NOAA, yes it's supposed to be warmer and drier than usual. Do you have a cold front or a trough passing through? That system in the northeast may be influencing the weather also.

Just had a quick look at the chart, and it looks like the low pressure system to your north/nw is bringing the cold southward to you.
edit on 13-12-2010 by zenius because: xtra info

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by zenius

We've had two fronts following one last week and this one. I am not a happy camper!!!! I mean where do I have to go to have 75 degrees as the LOWEST TEMP?????

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I don't know about climate change but I see a climate shift towards the eastern us. I noticed how the low pressure systems that form hurricanes seemed to start and swing north before thet hit hurricane alley.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Northern Queensland, Australia, but you might want a boat!

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by zenius

Wow it stays warm all year?? I would love that, I can't take the cold, and it makes me suffer with my asthma awful when it is very cold. BRRRRR>
edit on 13-12-2010 by ldyserenity because: Stupid keyboard gremlins!

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

That's very interesting. Do you have any graphics or pics that show the difference or change?
I'm interested to watch cylconic activity around Australia this season to see if there is much change. There have been a lot of lows cross the continent which has increased precipitation also, but I imagined more southern monsoonal activity, but sea surface temps are still fairly low.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   

It is warm most of the year. I had to leave cos the humidity got to me. Never once used a heater while there.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Hawai is actually a better choice for warm weather because unlike Qld and other places, it doesn't get too hot..
Or too cold...

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
HERE is a temperature conversion table. I can't convert F & C without help

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

Hawai is actually a better choice for warm weather because unlike Qld and other places, it doesn't get too hot..
Or too cold...

Well I am going to pack my bags for Hawaii then, lol, how is their Technology market?

I cannot stand extremely hot or extrememly cold weather! Hawaii sounds perfect!

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Here you go..
Year round temp between 73 and 82....With beautiful warm waters..
www.to-hawaii.com...

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
PEOPLE PEOPLE- have none of you been reading?? Do any of you really watch the skies?/ With the governments weather modification going on daily for over 15 years [here in great lakes region]- all the chem trail spraying, have you no dought the weather will be f****d up? Has your government ever solved any problem before? GLOBAL WARMING IS REAL and its going to get crazy in the future. THINK! with all the spraying going on the world keeps haveing warmer years, year after year. HERE IN N-WISCONSIN they always are spraying storm fronts, they hardly let us have a blue sky day anymore. WAKE UP! My best advise to people in their twenties or younger is to drop out of work and schools and start living since you all will never reach my age of 50. The government wants you to work and pay taxes till the very end.
We should all stop working till our government comes clean with real truths
Go google james hanson to get a picture of whats comming--he says nobody will be liveing south of canadian border by 2090
By the way all the insect and animals here i wisconsin have changed drastically already as well as there is hardly a healthy tree left since they are cooked then deluged with rain, then cooked again. WAKE UP- its over for you young people.
Oh ya, if any of you are wanting a baby to bring into this world without reading up on this you should be shot and gutted -you will doom them to a horrible life

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by zenius

Northern New Jersey..last 2 days have been above 50 degrees with rain..for this time of year it should not be 50 degrees..I live in northern new jersey literally across from a well known ski resort,they have been blowing snow for a week.the temps were cold..this latest storm that dumped a ton of snow not far west from here has been all rain..kinda muggy too..unusually warm for this time of year.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
In Saskatchewan 2 days ago, it was -20 celcius. Overnight it went down to -35, up to -25 during the day yesterday, back down to -30 last night, and waking up this morning at 7:00 it was back up to -20.

Such wild swings of temperatures, I'm not used to waking up to warmer than when I went to bed. Supposed to be up to -8 by this afternoon. The thing I don't like about when it warms up like this, is now we're expecting a dump of snow. We already have enough.

By the way all the insect and animals here i wisconsin have changed drastically already as well as there is hardly a healthy tree left since they are cooked then deluged with rain, then cooked again.

I noticed this with my seabuckthorn berry trees. I have about 30 of them, they have these in Siberia, so they're fit for the weather, they survive extreme cold, easily survive -50 celcius. Usually this time of year is when the berries get picked. This year they turned all brown in September/October, I think they drowned because of the high water table from all the rain.
They need a well drained soil, and Saskatchewan hasn't had this much rain through the summer for over 60 years, according to the farmer's around here.

edit on 13-12-2010 by snowspirit because: added quote from person a few posts above.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by itsawild1

Do you have any links to support your comments?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join