It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Wikileaks founder Julian Assange to be charged with espionage in US

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Movescamp

People are so quick to jump to his defense that you miss details. There is a possibility that wikileaks provided technical assistance to Pvt. Manning in the manner of encryption softeware that allowed him to secure the info and send it by email without it triggering military security that looks at outgoing and incoming emails.

The media has a right under Supreme Court ruling to print information, however media personell have gone to jail for refusing to ID the person who provided the information. Also, the media we are talking about released information on one or 2 topics, not 1 million documents, war logs and diplomatic cables.

Releasing that much information goes beyond typical news reporting. Assange himself has said the reason for the release is to seek revenge on the US, further calling into question the claim of acting as a media outlet. Hell MSNBC didnt go this far when Bush was in office, which says a lot.

If wikileaks was involved with the aquisitions of the material, they are no longer acting as a media outlet, but are in fact taking part in a federal crime, including espionage.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

People are so quick to jump to his defense that you miss details. There is a possibility that wikileaks provided technical assistance to Pvt. Manning in the manner of encryption softeware that allowed him to secure the info and send it by email without it triggering military security that looks at outgoing and incoming emails.

If this were true it would be all over the news already and Julian would already be faceing charges in the US..
Thus I must assume it is nothing more than rumours..
The WH would already have demonised Julian with details like that..

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I, for one, am willing to consider the possibility that Mr. Assange &/or WikiLeaks could have aided in the theft of government documents. Is there any substantial evidence that this actually occurred? Anything other than unsubstantiated claims or rumors? If not, he/they are legally and ethically presumed innocent. Ross

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

If this were true it would be all over the news already and Julian would already be faceing charges in the US..

Its been reported in several outlets. Its an interview from Adrian Lamo talking about the encryption software that was provided. As of now there is no reason to call his information into question, since Manning spoke to him regularly about whats going on leading up to Lamo turning him in.

As far as the Whitehoue or DOJ calling it out offically, I dont agree. The investigation is ongoing, and its possible Manning was not the only person involved. Since the ivnestigation is ongoing, they are not going to release evidence since it could be thrown out of court if they did, jeopradizing any potential criminal charges.
edit on 10-12-2010 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I found an interview of Mr. Lamo, in which he stated that PFC Manning had received 'technical assistance from another source'. He declined to elaborate. That *does* sound rather vague. The government is said to be debating with itself about how to proceed against Mr. Assange; whether or not to try to use the espionage act, or theft of government documents, or some other charge. It seems that they would not need to be debating if they had solid evidence that Mr. Assange or WikiLeaks had assisted Pvt. Manning in the theft of the video and documents. Ross

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I'm still working my way through the cables, most are pretty boring and petty but I would have to say that the exposure of the lies surrounding the release of Al Megrahi was a public service and not a crime.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Its been reported in several outlets. Its an interview from Adrian Lamo talking about the encryption software that was provided. As of now there is no reason to call his information into question, since Manning spoke to him regularly about whats going on leading up to Lamo turning him in.

As far as the Whitehoue or DOJ calling it out offically, I dont agree. The investigation is ongoing, and its possible Manning was not the only person involved. Since the ivnestigation is ongoing, they are not going to release evidence since it could be thrown out of court if they did, jeopradizing any potential criminal charges.
edit on 10-12-2010 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

And, here's an article completley destroying the bold-face lies regarding the supposed Lamo story.
Salon Article

As for what was said above--I agree. I HIGHLY doubt the US would have waited this long to go after him if they knew that to begin with---it's actually a crime. What PFC Manning did was a crime, but unless you want to make the Wapo guys criminals for outing Watergate, Julian Assange is NOT a criminal.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Siddharta
Gossip
Gossip
Gossip

I wish there was some place, where we could talk about the beaf.

Obviously nobody is aware of the cables themselves at all. May TPTB take over again.

Which is exactly why we need a dedicated forum to list, discuss and share our opinions about the cables.

A thread was started 2 WEEKS AGO in the ATS Business and Questions forum and not a single staff member has commented let alone acted.

Help us record this part of history in a way that is ordered and coherant....

A Wikileaks Forum???

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by zcflint05

That's a pretty long but superb article
... sometimes hard to follow but really sheds a lot of light on some of the subtleties involved in the background to this latest Wikileaks saga.

I found these bits in the 'summing up' at the end very potent, and wish a few members here at ATS would take it on board.

What makes WikiLeaks particularly threatening to the most powerful factions is that they cannot control it. Even when whistle-blowers in the past have leaked serious corruption and criminal conduct to perfectly good journalists at the nation's largest corporate media outlets, government officials could control how the information was disclosed. When the NYT learned in 2004 that the Bush administration was illegally eavesdropping on Americans without warrants, George Bush summoned the paper's Publisher and Executive Editor to the Oval Office, demanded that the story not be published, and the paper complied by sitting on it for a full year until after Bush was safely re-elected. When The Washington Post's Dana Priest learned that the CIA was maintaining a network of secret prisons -- black sites -- she honored the request of "senior U.S. officials" not to identify the countries where those prisons were located so as to not disrupt the U.S.'s ability to continue to use those countries for such projects.

Both WikiLeaks and Manning have stated that The Washington Post's David Finkel, when writing his book on Iraq two years ago, had possession of the Apache helicopter video but never released it to the public (Manning: "Washington Post sat on the video … David Finkel acquired a copy while embedded out here"). As Columbia Journalism Review reported, both the Post and Finkel were quite coy and evasive in addressing that claim, pointedly insisting that "the Post" had never possessed that video while refusing to say whether Finkel did.

and towards the end

By stark contrast, WikiLeaks isn't interested in helping governments, militaries and corporations keep secrets. They're interested in the opposite: forcing transparency on institutions which conduct the vast, vast bulk of their substantive conduct in the dark. They're not susceptible to pressure from political and corporate officials; rather, they want to hold them accountable. That's what makes WikiLeaks so uniquely threatening to elite institutions, and anyone who doubts that should simply read the 2008 Pentagon Report discussing ways to destroy it, or review the Obama administration's unprecedented and rapidly escalating war on whistle-blowers generally.

On a final note.... If half of what that article says about Lamo is correct, he is a REAL NASTY little rat for having snitched that young lad up... a real piece if work!!

Thanks for the link

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Why is Hilary Hitler Clinton not being charged?
Why are the people who committed the crimes that were leaked not being charged.
Julian Assange did nothing besides let the truth be told.
You people who stand against him should be happy that America is now becoming communist . Sheep.

If I had the means, I would leave this country. I dont have enough money to move to another one, but it's on my list, as soon as a dumptruck full of money lands in my yard.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yummy Freelunch
You people who stand against him should be happy that America is now becoming communist . Sheep.

If I had the means, I would leave this country. I dont have enough money to move to another one, but it's on my list, as soon as a dumptruck full of money lands in my yard.

True..A lot of fools are saying why are the media releasing these leaks if they are controled by TPTB..

The fact is, they're not..They are releasing few leaks that suit their agenda then concentrating most of their time attacking Julian and Wikileaks...
They are all but ignoring the leaks and the message it sends..
That is, many politicians lie and commit criminal acts...
Yes, spying on UN personal IS a crime..
It's called espionage, the same crime the US is trying to charge Julian with...

Odd don't you think? But I'd bet the MSM don't pickup on that fact..

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   

True..A lot of fools are saying why are the media releasing these leaks if they are controled by TPTB..

The fact is, they're not..They are releasing few leaks that suit their agenda then concentrating most of their time attacking Julian and Wikileaks...
They are all but ignoring the leaks and the message it sends..
That is, many politicians lie and commit criminal acts...
Yes, spying on UN personal IS a crime..
It's called espionage, the same crime the US is trying to charge Julian with...

Odd don't you think? But I'd bet the MSM don't pickup on that fact..

Amen, brother! Thats exactly what I mean..HILARY is the one that should be under arrest, Not Mr, Assange!

Pisses me off to no end that people are attacking him when he did nothing but bring the truth to light.
Like I said..if I had the money..Id be on a boat to..well..anywhere but here.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by Movescamp

People are so quick to jump to his prosecution that you INVENT details. There is a possibility? It's also possible that he remote viewed the location of the files and telepathically controlling Mannings body and so thus he is the actual data thief and not Manning

Seriously, even if that were true, telling someone how to use PGP to encrypt an email does not make you an accomplice. If I tell you, hey, go to the bank on main street. Just walk in the door and tell them to put all the money in a bag, and they will do it, because it's bank policy! If you then go and rob the bank, are they going to arrest me because I told you a way to do it?

My straw man beats your straw man. FTW

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   

I'm broke too, but if you can get to France we could be broke together.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

This is ATS not a dating site..
But I gave you a star for the laugh.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Well..maybe I'll play the lottery, see if I win, then head on over! Vive la France

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   

This is ATS not a dating site..
But I gave you a star for the laugh.

Who said anything about dating..this person could be a girl! I just want out of this country!

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

And that would make a difference how nowadays??
But back on topic..
If they charge Julian for espionage then what about the others they have not charged??
Obviously the admitted bit with the UN delegates..

But what about the recent mission involving Mossad agents..
It is confirmed they used UK and Australian passports of existing citizens..
Obviously they were forged with high tech equipment...
The story conveniently died both here and in the UK..

A former Mossad officer has alleged the Israeli spy agency has its own "passport factory" to create or doctor passports for use in intelligence operations.

www.abc.net.au...

I mean, that's pretty damning evidence and ABC is a Government site so very credible..
edit on 10-12-2010 by backinblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Cheers. I know some may feel like running away and it could be construde as giving up, but fighting can be done from anywhere if you still have the passion and running "to" somewhere can also be a step in the right direction if it maybe offers a new perspective.

I left the UK about 10 years ago but still keep up with what happens there and can now support my fellow Brits on the other side of the U bend with my new perspectives.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
If Julian Assange is ever released, I'll move in with him..then I can really fight the good fight..lol..

But yes, BackinBlack..that really does say something..hmmmm

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join