It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Wikileaks founder Julian Assange to be charged with espionage in US

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
The 3,000 sites mirroring Wikileaks will now become 300,000 sites mirroring, and more will come as each day passes.

I believe the US will crumble from the inside out. All corruption must be removed - heck that's the whole government. Well then, so be it. Off with their heads!

If they charge Assange with something, they would have to charge all media companies, every person who has read the leaks, everyone that has accessed the site, and in the end, the government will be brought down to its knees because they can't crucify everyone.

This would even have to apply to any government official that has read any wikileaks leaks. Senetors, governors, mayors, presidents, congress, you name it, they would have to be charged similarly to Assange.

Gitmo could become really crowded soon.

-E2

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I am hoping to see the "insurance file" be released. I want to know how "openleaks" (the new whistleblower site set for monday) will play into this.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by PETROLCOIN

Though you make a valid point, and your argument holds merit, ..try or attempt to establish evidence that is concrete, that could be used in a court of law against one of the fascists! Not gonna happen, but they in turn can and will use what ever elements are available to them to tarnish and convict Assange.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by zcflint05

Good news... The one thing to keep in perspective when comparing news sites and wikileaks. When news orgaizations have leaked information that was classified, it was in regards to one incident. Wikileaks did not follow that same rule, and as the dump became faster and larger in size, one has to question the intent Assange had.

Then it comes out, from Assange himself, that he did this to get revenge on the US. There is also information suggesting wikileaks provided manning with the encryption software to conceal the stolen information from military filters in email etc.

Some have said he used a cd and not email. I think he uised the cd to get the info off the computer, and used a different computer to email the info, but thats still being looked into.

Some Congressional leaders have made comments about holding other news outlets accountible for this as well, so that might happen at some point. At the very least it would most likely go to the Supreme counrt, possibly undermining any charges against Assange.

What makes me chuckle are all of Assanges supporters who call for various people in the government to be charged with crimes. Yet when the same argument is made against Assange, we get the deflection techniques that he was media, etc etc while also dismissing the manner in which the information was possibly aquired.

Out of curiosity why is it ok to hold someone accountible for a crime, but not the other for a crime?

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
does this mean the Insurance file will go live?
the poisen pill that has been spoken about

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by illusive man

yes, the one thats been announced on the news. hopefully it will be released soon if the US goes on with the charges

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
if released into us custody, the game is afoot.
it will open a new chapter in what we shall refer to as: the deconstruction of the capitalist pig bastards

why do you think Russia's speaking on behalf of Assangel? they know and will be helping whats coming next.

but you do understand that this is what the us is after don't you?
they need a fresh new war to continue the fleecing.

link   

Originally posted by yeti101
wont happen. UK & Sweden cant extradite for a "political crime" which is what espionage comes under.

This is true, but comes with a small exception interestingly enough:

Section 6 Extradition may not be granted for a political offence. If the act also constitutes a non-political offence, extradition may be granted for that offence, provided, in the particular case, the act is predominantly of a non-political nature. The first paragraph does not apply where rejection on this ground would be contrary to an international agreement applying between Sweden and the requesting state. (SFS 2003:1158)

This would mean that Sweden might have an agreement nullifying this whole section of the Swedish extradition laws.

This section on the other hand will be harder to circumvent I hope.

3. A person who is extradited may not have the death penalty imposed for the offence. In cases referred to in Section 5 or Section 6, it shall be specially stated that the person extradited may not be punished under a provision concerning offences committed by members of armed forces or for a political offence. The Government shall otherwise prescribe such conditions as are considered necessary. (SFS 1975:292)

(Source: Swedish Extradition Laws)

link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded
Not gonna happen, but they in turn can and will use what ever elements are available to them to tarnish and convict Assange.

I know that, but I'm merely wondering if such a question ever occurs to the American people. That's all I want to know. I realize bringing those in power to justice is impossible (Heil Freedom!) but what is of real interest to me is the thought process of the average American citizen.

Does that question ever enter the thoughts of the average American citizen? It sure doesn't seem like it. Otherwise there would be more outrage. Instead, the only outrage seems to be people getting pissed because they can't sell their # on eBay or use their Visa cards as safely as they could before Anonymous' attacks.

The priorities and the balance of power in this country's political system are completely out of whack. I am so embarrassed to be a citizen of this country.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
This is retaliation for exposing the truth* Obviously our governemnt dosnt like us, knowing the truth* so thier fidning anyway possible to keep him locked up and heard of again, so we are lef dumb and in the dark. coming form a system, that promotes us too 'snitch' on eachother....the sinister writting is on the wall

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by EyesII
Off with their heads!

Yeah, Vive La Revolution.

Gimme pat downs, scans, searches, I don't care.

Where's my honing stone?

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

What they deserve is a medal and commendations for their bravery in a world of terror states and for offering a piece of truth in a world of lies. What the US deserve is to crumble apart and wither away, I hope their economy dies so we can be done with the evil empire, I hope all its closest allies turn against it as it loses power until they have no choice but to cave in. I'm sick of the way they treat their citizens, always dumbing them down with mind numbing media; it's no wonder they sank down towards the bottom on the PISA scores.

And they will get what they deserve, if prosecuted, assassinated or harmed in any way they will be seen as martyrs, they cannot be touched without provoking a violent uprising, for just as in Greece, the people will rise up and take back their freedom with a clenched fist and an insatiable thirst to truth and respect.

While most tin foil hats conspired about MK Ultra the brainwashing is obvious with your post, the sheep who panics when his flock gets dispersed, who jumps off the cliff when the herder dies, the one who needs someone to push him in the right direction because since birth you've never had the opportunity to decide that for yourself.

Go to school, study hard, buy a house, borrow from the banks, buy that nice car, get a trophy wife, have kids, save up for retirement, owe your entire life and pay your taxes, teach your kids to compete and to hate like you've always hated because love is hate, love is hate, love is hate. Don't think, just shoot; don't think, just do as ordered. Then watch TV and forget.

So afraid that Assange will ruin that perfect life of yours... so afraid that for once, you'll have to live outside of that limited existence you think is so great. I pity you and everyone like you...

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SkurkNilsen

Lets hope he stays in Britain since the Justice Secretary is reported to have said that the leaks are of "genuine public concern" and that "although harmful where not criminal"

Hard to push for extradition if this is the UKs official stance is that he has not committed a crime.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by beebs

I think WL has reconsidered the conditions for the 'insurance file'. I know I would.

Just because Assange is in a legal quagmire, doesn't mean the infrastructure and integrity of WL is seriously threatened.

If they didn't release it after all of the cyber warfare, they won't for his bogus court case.

It will take something more drastic before they release the poison pill.

I can see where you're coming from and am tempted to agree; however, if he promised the leak; he needs to deliver. Perhaps he could get some of his programmers to re-package the insurance file into two or three parts, so he could live up to his promise of releasing docs under these circumstances yet keep some leverage on his part? Just a thought.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

AWWW now the real circus can begin. more fuel for the home grown terrorist theory watch as this media circus turns into something and the all the wiki leak files show up. Then wait for the verdict and watch for terrorist activity on the web and in the streets, riots, police crack downs ect then watch as the people are carted off to the so called fema camps lol and held till they are tried for terrorist mark my words this was been in the works for some years now and its coming to a head

link   

As a fellow vet i am disgusted by your comment. The officer for sure can be tried but certainly not wikkileaks. It's in the 1st ammendment which we swear to protect. Assange is innocent and it's that freedom we protect.

link   

Originally posted by Cocasinpry

What they deserve is a medal and commendations for their bravery in a world of terror states and for offering a piece of truth in a world of lies. What the US deserve is to crumble apart and wither away, I hope their economy dies so we can be done with the evil empire, I hope all its closest allies turn against it as it loses power until they have no choice but to cave in. I'm sick of the way they treat their citizens, always dumbing them down with mind numbing media; it's no wonder they sank down towards the bottom on the PISA scores.

Though I understand your frustrations, as a US citizen, Im appalled at what my government has done, and is doing to my countries citizens. But your above comments suggesting we " deserve to crumble" and suggesting that you hope our " economy dies", would suggest that you hope that the innocent citizenry in the US, in turn must suffer. How would you feel if I suggested that you and all your citizenry from what ever country your from needed to be eradicated? Are you one of the many, that are going to " label " us all, just because of the actions of a corrupt few?
What if we as the US, don't crumble and fall, and the citizens are able to eradicate the poison within our government, and we are able to rebuild, and be stronger than ever, then your country needs help, with your judgmental ways, do you think we should help you?
I would suggest picking your words carefully, you never know, we may be in the trenches together~

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

I've read the espionage act. I cannot see how they can charge him with this crime. The espionage act makes it clear on it's face that the law was designed for people whom are given access to information, or who expose secrets of the us government including troop movements. To say this endless war on terror is a war at all is absolutely ridiculous. The law was never designed to be used against foreign people, or against exposing government secrets. It was only designed as a punishment for those who owed the USA allegiance and were privileged to have certain information and used that information to the detriment of the USA.

Wikileaks is not a spy when it communicated to the whole world the materials they were given. The person who leaked the materials might be guilty of espionage but not Wikileaks.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Zomar

Originally posted by HomerinNC
Good, he deserves what he gets..I hope him AND Pvt Bradley are co defendants
edit on 12/10/2010 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

HomerinNC can you tell me what Julian did that was illegal please? Oh you can't... didn't think so. Sheep.

Anyways,

This movement isn't going to stop with Julian.

It will stop cause after all the crap Anon is causing the government is getting exactly what they want..a excuse to police the internet.
So bravo to the retards of anon.

www.time.com...

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell went so far as to label Assange a high-tech terrorist. "He has done enormous damage to our country and I think he needs to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. And if that becomes a problem, we need to change the law," McConnell said on NBC's Meet the Press Sunday Read more: www.time.com... #ixzz17kV8p29s

He will be hung from the highest tree they can find...
If they cant find a law..they will make a new one.
and In come the net Era of policed internet...
and probably the end of conspiracy theory website's.
edit on 10-12-2010 by TheAmused because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Your joking right? That argument makes no sense. Media has every right under the constitution to report information. The officer who leaked the info can be executed under the law however, he also takes an oath to protect this country with threats foreign or domestic.

The media has nothing to do with spying. Assange didn't cause any of this. He reported it. If people die because of it the burden still rests on the people in charge who ordered the injustice. In America we have freedom and liberty. We are not supposed to have media control. The whole purpose of liberty based democracy is to be informed. There is no other way it works. If the politicians caused, created, or aided injustice it's their fault even for the lives that get lost through disclosure. It's a price our forefathers paid for with their lives. It's a price my fellow soldiers paid for with their lives. It's a price all the civilian casualties pay with their lives.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join