It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Psychosis: What happens to a society that cannot distinguish between reality and illusion?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Hi Folks,

I hope this is in the right place as I'm a newbie when it comes to thread starting, etc.

I was sent an email with a link today to this interesting site where what I consider to be an important article by Chris Hedges, a Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter for the New York Times.. was posted by "rockingjude".

Proje ct World Awareness

The United States, locked in the kind of twilight disconnect that grips dying empires, is a country entranced by illusions. It spends its emotional and intellectual energy on the trivial and the absurd. It is captivated by the hollow stagecraft of celebrity culture as the walls crumble. This celebrity culture giddily licenses a dark voyeurism into other people’s humiliation, pain, weakness and betrayal. Day after day, one lurid saga after another, whether it is Michael Jackson, Britney Spears or John Edwards, enthralls the country … despite bank collapses, wars, mounting poverty or the criminality of its financial class.

What I read in the article is what I see happening in my own Country, which is a legacy of following the leader, and which I personally think is part of the agenda in play these past 30 years.. at least.

Please read and comment if you will.

Thanks.

edit on 29-11-2010 by Tayesin because: dyslexic typing fingers are bad today

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
You mean the same society that spends many hours debating if a person is a "time traveler" because some dude wanting his 5 minutes of fame posts it on Youtube.

Or the other guy who video tapes a plane contrail and posts it on the web and the whole world speculates on what it is,when it is obvious to a intelligent person it was a contrail from a plane.

The world is in a pathetic state right now,not just the U.S.

Dancing with the Stars,American Idol and all the other mindless shows to dumb down the public.

We will get what we deserve.

What happens to a society that cannot distinguish between reality and illusion?

They join ATS of course.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oneolddude
You mean the same society that spends many hours debating if a person is a "time traveler" because some dude wanting his 5 minutes of fame posts it on Youtube.

Or the other guy who video tapes a plane contrail and posts it on the web and the whole world speculates on what it is,when it is obvious to a intelligent person it was a contrail from a plane.

The world is in a pathetic state right now,not just the U.S.

Dancing with the Stars,American Idol and all the other mindless shows to dumb down the public.

We will get what we deserve.

What happens to a society that cannot distinguish between reality and illusion?

They join ATS of course.

I understand full what you are saying, but I would rather someone look into (whether hoax or not) the possibility of time travel. But instead we have people worried about whether or not the latest celeb is wearing underwear. We have become one of the dumbest generations, as opposed to I guess when people didn't know how to read, or soap and water's effects were still a mystery.

I have lost touch with not just my generation but the ones before, and I'm sure the ones to come. As I tell some people that for some reason choose to have a discussion with me about the latest celeb to fall.. dancing or skating, ah, even who's walking. That they DO Not Care about you, or what you think, because they are rolling in money, and living in the part of town, that if you were lost there... you would be shot.

Peace, NRE.

S&F OP.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Why don't he find the right path and tell us about it instead of telling us
something we already know.
That are hundreds of interesting 'unofficial' knowledge to be given a chance to
be discussed.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
The foundation of societies is based in virtues like truth and liberty. Once the social system has run long enough, enough moral corruption is spread from the top of the hierarchical power structure and infects the masses. At this point, it becomes a circus of sorts. Shortly after, there is complete implosion. We're well into the circus and in the process of implosion. Recycle.

The truth outs!

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne
Why don't he find the right path and tell us about it instead of telling us
something we already know.
That are hundreds of interesting 'unofficial' knowledge to be given a chance to
be discussed.

Hi mate,

While many people are beginning to wake up from this imposed reality, it is important to continue to share this information openly for the masses who as yet have not begun to awaken from that dream.

This article does an excellent job of putting the imposed reality in perspective for the masses. Yes it may be preaching to the converted here on ATS, but there will still be people who read something like this for the first time and have the puzzle pieces begin to fall into place for them. Hence this article is still highly relevant and must be shared.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
It was back in the 1990's when I wrote something along these lines. I basically stated that the intense focus on celebrities, consumerism and dependence on technology would lead to the eventual downfall of North America. I can honestly say that the last decade has left me cynical as a deep thinking individual. I have run around looking into many of the different statistics and compared them, even stretching as far as relating the mood of music listened to by the majority noting it as seemingly indicative of the mood/morale of the people.

The focus of the people (majority) seems to be the -self centric- emulation of "stars" (Despite the vast majority of them leading hap hazard disastrous train wreck lives). The gadgets and hype have people so intoxicated and distracted that they literally do not have the time to think critically, the schools are not helping and so here we are in a dark age of sorts; heading down the downward spirals march to disparity.

There is a poison in our nation, the poison is the ignorance, the ignorance to the facts, the statistics but MOST IMPORTANTLY THE COMMON SENSE (THE COMMON GOOD)... But this ignorance is also the answer as people rather ignore such problems rather than deplete there morale which too is poisonous in its own right.

Distraction is good but inaction is detrimental. And so ignorance is blissfully a downfall for if we deny what we see, we deny what we are and if that happens we can never be what we aspire to be, collectively or individually.

edit on 30-11-2010 by TheRemedial because: word change

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

Well no one is going to find the solution to 911 not even Alex Jones.
Not even with level headed celebrities the likes of Charlie Scheen.
Sure raising the questions of why things don't fit right is a step in the right direction.

If our health has become such a right for laws to out law smoking and fat and sugar
then a few more things should be lined up to be outlawed.

I'll be waiting like the rest of us for the ship to sail off with boat load of problems.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by TeslaandLyne

If our health has become such a right for laws to out law smoking and fat and sugar then a few more things should be lined up to be outlawed.

This brings in a problem for Atkins followers who have no problem with fat but find the
insulin cause of fat to be sugar and carbohydrate created.

Part of the Atkins proven work is being challenge.
Atkins pointed out lab work proving the low carb diet took off fat and also showed
that fat in food connection to heart failure was not proven in one AMA example.

The Illuminati continue to do what they want but think Atkins books still sell so its
not time for book burning yet but a way will be found.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

Every country is like that.

How many people in the world know about electronic mind control, virtually none, so i assume most are suffering from same thing.

Just that usa is probably being manipulated more, and especially being over stimulated in so many ways, is probably just one thing.

Lug

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tayesin

The United States, locked in the kind of twilight disconnect that grips dying empires, is a country entranced by illusions. It spends its emotional and intellectual energy on the trivial and the absurd. It is captivated by the hollow stagecraft of celebrity culture as the walls crumble. This celebrity culture giddily licenses a dark voyeurism into other people’s humiliation, pain, weakness and betrayal. Day after day, one lurid saga after another, whether it is Michael Jackson, Britney Spears or John Edwards, enthralls the country … despite bank collapses, wars, mounting poverty or the criminality of its financial class.

It's the same way the Roman Empire ended, but with an extra twist: security. America is looking inward at the risk of losing interest in the barbarians gathering at the gates.

First it was bread and circuses, much like the focus on entertainment that is mentioned. Then it was the influx of barbarian soldiers into the Roman legions, making their own armed forces something you couldn't count on for allegiance and, finally, it was the effects of a single religion imposing its will on every other within the empire.

Wikileaks is the oil that's going to make the slide into chaos much easier, because it's making public the idiocy that is behind running the governments of this world and America is no different.

That's my take.

edit on 2-12-2010 by Lug because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
No one can deny this:

It is the cult of self that is killing the United States. This cult has within it the classic traits of psychopaths: superficial charm, grandiosity and self-importance; a need for constant stimulation; a penchant for lying, deception and manipulation; and the incapacity for remorse or guilt.

Brought about by 60 years of marketing and the warped psychological manipulation it uses to drive us to satisfy selfish or impractical desires, always just out of reach and ever-changing so that we consume endlessly in the vain attempt to achieve the impossible.

Everything we are is superficial. Very little is authentic. If you doubt this, just log onto Facebook. We're marketing ourselves now and managing our own personal brands.

It's sick.

The only ones benefiting from this manipulation, mental illness and societal degradation are corporations and banks. But the worm will turn. We are raising generations of citizens incapable of dealing with each other face to face, civilly or for the common good. It's unsustainable. At some point there will be no one smart enough or sophisticated enough to run the corporations and banks. The Idiocracy will have arrived.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

Hi Tayesin

Bit surprised to see you posting somewhere else than metaphysics and paranormal
(or that is at least where I usually encounter your posts anyway) Nevertheless post well placed and a valid remark!

This is familiar observation for me and I think it is not america-only phenomena, but rather defines any western civilization as well. Instead of paying attention to themselves, people waste amounts of energy in their never-satisfied thirst for other people's affairs. I think has something do with comparing themselves to others and on the other hand, projecting their own fantasies on the celebs. Sometimes people are just enthralled to see that those who are deemed as celebrities, can be more idiotic than themselves - or thats how they like to think.

Then there is the question of gossib also. People like to have something to talk about; celebs are bit like the weather, topic of the day and so forth. Then there is of course the questions about role-models and idealities. Attention seeking people copy their role-models, who they envy for their publicity.

While this is highly understandable, it is same time somewhat pathetic in psychological sense. Yet we people are social animals, and animals indeed, as we seem to be unable to transcent our animalistic heritance in larger quantities.

-v

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
The foundation of societies is based in virtues like truth and liberty. Once the social system has run long enough, enough moral corruption is spread from the top of the hierarchical power structure and infects the masses. At this point, it becomes a circus of sorts. Shortly after, there is complete implosion. We're well into the circus and in the process of implosion. Recycle.

The truth outs!

Yup. You and the OP should check out A Study Of Our Decline. It's actually written by an Aussie. I don't agree with everything in it but it certainly makes a good case for the cyclic nature of civilizations, as they rise due to virtue and fall due to moral corruption, just like you're saying.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Thanks everyone for your comments and insights.

Being a single dad for the past 16 years has put me in a situation where I get to see firsthand the Religion of Image.. as I am now calling it.. due to the culture of kids, pre-teens and teens that is so prevalent today.

I also agree that this is old news as many people have been able to see the threads and themes that have brough us to where we are now. And yet so many more have not looked, do not want to look because it seems as if it cannot be fixed, etc.

For me, the fixes are written between the lines. If we are doing something that isn't working well for the whole then the fix is to do it differently or opposed ot how it is done now.

In which case I am all for parents having the right to Censor what their kids to, what they watch and listen to and what Adult content they have access to as they are growing up. I see that our primary role as parents is to insure we give our kids a Childhood while they are children, and with-holding the Adult Rights and Priviledges until the kids are develomentally ready for the pressure involved.

Unfortunately, most parents I speak with are opposed to rocking the boat. Most don't want to look at the problem because they are far too busy obtaining more dollars for that perfect Lifestyle.. as shown in the Media. Meanwhile many kids run amok with no parental controls.

In the end, my perception is that we all allowed things to get this way. Not enough people stood up and said No to our govewrnments and bleeding heart pressure groups to insure we had suitable content for kids these past 30 years or more.

Lastly, I think the past two generations are lost, they cannot be brought back to some form of Non-Image reality, and so we ned now to be working on the young kids to insure that they do not go the same way as the two previous "lost" generations have.

But that's just my 2 cents worth today.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tayesin
I am all for parents having the right to Censor what their kids to, what they watch and listen to and what Adult content they have access to as they are growing up.

While I agree with your point generally (regarding to the OP), it is here where I have to say may distinguishing opinion. Censorship just leads into resistance and curiosity. The kids starts to think what are they forbidden from. They see adults and perhaps other kids around them doing stuff they can't. This cannot but increase their curiosity.

What parent should do, is to educate and raise their children in a way, that they become responsible and thinking individual by themselves. Kids are not stupid, but we gotta be clever with their education. I see this as more lasting solution as censorship, because even if cencored, they will be exposed to the questionable material. And because they have been censored, there will be other flaws in their personality as well, and may not be capable of resisting the bad influences.

I have seen very bright kids that are capable of critical thinking and not running after every hype, so I know this to be possible. It is up to us parents - kids will learn, if we know how to teach them.

-v

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Much as I am tempted to put the boot in, this thread is as much a metaphor for all western culture.

It's a shame but success has left the west a civilisation of spoiled brats with little moral compass and even less common sense.

Whilst I don't take rank with Islamic extremists, there is some validity for theirt disdain towards our culture.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by v01i0
Censorship just leads into resistance and curiosity. The kids starts to think what are they forbidden from. They see adults and perhaps other kids around them doing stuff they can't. This cannot but increase their curiosity.

What parent should do, is to educate and raise their children in a way, that they become responsible and thinking individual by themselves. Kids are not stupid, but we gotta be clever with their education. I see this as more lasting solution as censorship, because even if cencored, they will be exposed to the questionable material. And because they have been censored, there will be other flaws in their personality as well, and may not be capable of resisting the bad influences.

I have seen very bright kids that are capable of critical thinking and not running after every hype, so I know this to be possible. It is up to us parents - kids will learn, if we know how to teach them.

Censorship by adults on what kids are exposed to was how things have been done for years.. up until the bleeding heart pressure groups disempowered parents and empowered children in their place. If all adults stood up these past 30 years and said "No we don't want particular styles of music, movies, TV shows and all the other stuff directed at our Children", then we would not have to worry about exposure.

So while that is very old fashioned of me.. and I'm happy to admit it, I am totally opposed to operating within what we currently have when we do have the power to change it for the better Now... if only enough of us stood up to be counted.

I am what we might call one of Dr. Phil's Commando Parents.. where raising children is accepted to be my Main and most important job, so that I am prepared to go the hard yards, to fight for my child even as she fights With me. And I do this so that she will not be like the vast majority of teen girls in our district today. I am the only one in this town doing this style of parenting where I vet all friends and their parents for suitability. It's hard but I hope eventually worth it all.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

I see your point. However there is the question of what people think as "suitable" content. You see, there are religious people (as for example) that doesn't tolerate certain type of content. As well as there are atheists whom think that religious content is improper.

So it is mainly a question of morals, ethics and taste. This is why I recommend proper raising to be applied on the kids, so they can themselves pick suitable content they wish to watch/listen on various media.

-v

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

Hi,

Yes. One of the conundrums is that everyone has their own ideas on what is suitable or acceptable for children. I find a lot of parents here who allowed their 16 year olds to leave home and live with boyfriends/girlfriends.. basically live as man and wife.. as adults while they are still legally Minors in my country. This makes my 16 year old think that it is normal and also wants to do the same... despite havin one more year of high school to go, etc.

I also agree with more effective parenting being a solution during our children's younger years. But it seems only a few children reach mid to late teens without adversely being effected by Peer pressures... example, most girls here are harrassed about being virgins so that around 75% are still virgins by Year 8 (age 13) and by year 10 there is only one or two that still are... that's age 15.

I suppose I am way out of the loop with teens today. Most I see aren't interested in a future, most are only interested in "What can I get for myself next"... that instant gratification that is so obvious these days.

Thank you for your level headed approach and sharing. I appreciate your understandings.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join