It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK this could be snow joke!

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Well don't come here to Algeria. Hot and nasty here. Working in the desert puts you off beaches for life!!

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarf79

Some useful info in this post. But the amount of complaining I had to wade through to get to it meant that valuable minutes of ATS browsing time have been lost.

In future please substitute one of those angry face things with a flame coming out of it, or something, for your rant. Precious time will be saved, for you as well!

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Those of you with snow on your roof, don't let it pile up if it's heavy stuff. It can collapse into your house. If it's the light fluffy stuff, it's not as big a worry, if it's heavy think of the weight. Most houses aren't built to handle it.

If you guys over there are expecting to get Canadian like winters for the next few years, invest in good snow tires, or at least all season tires. It makes a huge difference.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

If you read my post properly i was actually stating that driving on wet slush is like driving in rain,except you need to take more care on bends and corners.You would have to be an awful driver to lose total traction driving in slush. And a lot of the snow is turning to slush...............Most people probably havent noticed as they are too busy filling shopping trolleys with eggs,flour,potatoes,bread,jam and lard.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

I guess my post was more directed at people who live in and around north eastern regions who insist on blowing it out of all proportions.But i do feel that the majority of the country panics, when in most regions its not such a crisis.

I do admit that certain parts of the country get hit a lot more than others, however i merely stated that MOST of the main roads have been kept open and of course a few examples can be given that you mention and our newspapers take lots of nice photos of(like the A689 near Durham as featured in the Daily mirrors ridicolous article today- and they have the cheek to tell the nation not to panic, when they cause the scaremongering to begin with)

I stand by what i said.If people drove properly in snow,including lorry drivers(my father and many of his friends are drivers and I know a lot about the industry) then traffic flow would run a lot better.

If people just tried to get by more normally instead of all developing mind Generalised Anxiety disorders and running around like mentalists and getting sucked into media hype then that would help as well.......

Im trying to keep things in line with the OP, and think that that panic buying and getting supplies in etc is just really silly and daft. In a couple of weeks it will have probably all melted away and all the people going a bit OTT here, there and everywhere will feel daft.

Good luck to everyone anyway, Keep your shovels in the boot and im sure you will be fine.....(and a food hamper and blanket etc)

edit on 2-12-2010 by Snarf79 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-12-2010 by Snarf79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

Im also not from newcastle, as per my msg. But live ten miles away, in a small village,which is very high up and the only way out of it is down some very steep and dangerous banks..............

Theres also plenty of knee high snow near me, but the main roads are absolutely fine.

Im fairly sure the A19(i presume thats the road you meant) from york to Donnie.......will be moving much better by now, and the big PANIC will be over!!!! Infact i just checked on the highways agency webpage and there wasnt any disruption......

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarf79

Bollox!!
You're telling me it aint that bad?
Scaremongering am I?
Total BS.

If I'm talking out of my arse how is it that there's about a foot and a half of snow outside? And where we've all been clearing there's 3-4 ft of snow piled up all the way along the roads?

Why is it that cash points have been out of order for 2 days and local stores have no bread?
Stop talking # playing it down.

I'm not bothered about a bit snow what does get my back up is local councils taking the piss with the tax payers money.
I've seen a couple of gritters, a couple!! not ploughing and not spreading salt.
The reason everything is a mess is not due to snow its due to the arseholes not doing anything to prepare.
There's been ample warning. Last year in fact it was stated winters would be much worse, so how did this happen?
Where's the salt? Really!!
They say they're spreading but they've got nothing in to spread. Driving around empty. Buses were cancelled, roads closed, airports and rail etc etc.
Mark my words the government will get grief for this.

If you are telling me you are in the north east UK on higher ground and its a dusting, I say you are full of crap! Simple.

One explanation is you work for the council and you're supposed to be gritting!

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Im sorry I just couldn't help myself, but it definitely looks like you got two feet of snow!

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Oh I forgot those of you in the UK may want to check out tomorows newspapers "Food Shortages"
Have been predicted.
So those of you that are taking notice and are genuinely concerned, you know what to do.
Be safe.

Those of you talking crap and derailing this thread go and play somewhere else!
This thread was a mere heads up to what I though would happen and to just let others be aware.
Why?
What's the point?
Some of you that have replied on here negatively and with mockery etc want to be ashamed because its people like you "Jack" that makes it harder.

Now, stop pissing about and start listening this is bad and its going to get worse as the days go by. Don't be deceived by sunny spells either. Today for instance. Stood outside and the sun was actually hot? How does that work when an hour later there was about 3-4 inches dumped?
Don't be fooled by this or those derailing this thread. Checkout the papers tomorow and stock up.
Checkout the FB page Go northeast. Bus company northeast UK.
I'm not scaremongering here I'm genuinely concerned here for everyone including those ridiculing.

Food is running low
Cash points are running out
Fuel pumps are running dry

All because of the roads. Please listen.
Don't forget the elderly and those with very young.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

Beat me to it. Unbelievable.
That's the third time that's happened.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
As long as the dray can get the beer through we'll be fine!

I don't like snow; it's cold, it's wet and it's bloody inconvenient.
But I don't think this cold spell indicates any significant change to the weather system, yet.
Just a cold spell that's happened relatively early in the winter.
If it continues in the same vein all the way through to February or March I may well be of a completely different opinion.

I too live in North East England and yes, there is a fair bit of snow about, which, as usual, is exacerbated by the customary incompetence if local councils and other authorities.
But I think it's the suddenness of it's arrival that's suprised everyone.

Oh, and plenty of food in the shops and cash points all ok, at least where I've been.....just make sure the beer get's through!

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

But I don't think this cold spell indicates any significant change to the weather system, yet.
If it continues in the same vein all the way through to February or March I may well be of a completely different opinion.

I too live in North East England and yes, there is a fair bit of snow about, which, as usual, is exacerbated by the customary incompetence if local councils and other authorities.

Oh, and plenty of food in the shops and cash points all ok, at least where I've been.....just make sure the beer get's through!

Hey there Freeborn,

I know you're in my neck of the woods so to speak, so consider yourself lucky your pub's not at The Lion Inn on Blakey Ridge (for those outside of Yorkshire that's the very isolated pub that sits on the highest point of the North York Moors).

Staff and patrons have been snowed-in for the last 6 days and in some places drifts are higher than the pub ... so there'll be no drays getting through there any time soon.

It's only a few miles from where I am and people have been known to head there when they get snow warnings with the specific intention of getting snowed-in.

>>>THE LION INN - BLAKEY RIDGE, NORTH YORK MOORS

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I almost crashed myself earlier trying to pick up my girlfriend (who finally managed to get a flight from Edinburgh)

I dabbed the brakes and the car just carried right on moving over a patch of black ice that I had no idea about, I came within a few centimetres of hitting a parked car. Luckily I was only going about 20 at the time so I managed to control it.

The side roads are seriously icy in London at the moment
edit on 2-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Hi,

love the photos. Can you explain the last one? Snow tunnel into igloo? Or snow tunnel into your own house? ;-)

Cheers,

Aelf

Originally posted by woodwytch

Originally posted by Freeborn

Hey there Freeborn,

I know you're in my neck of the woods so to speak, so consider yourself lucky your pub's not at The Lion Inn on Blakey Ridge (for those outside of Yorkshire that's the very isolated pub that sits on the highest point of the North York Moors).

Staff and patrons have been snowed-in for the last 6 days and in some places drifts are higher than the pub ... so there'll be no drays getting through there any time soon.

It's only a few miles from where I am and people have been known to head there when they get snow warnings with the specific intention of getting snowed-in.

>>>THE LION INN - BLAKEY RIDGE, NORTH YORK MOORS

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
check this out Nasa terra satellite photo of the uk as of yesterday

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Aelfrede

Hey there Aelfrede (very Saxon sounding name you have there btw ... love it),

They are great photographs aren't they (?) ... sadly I didn't take them because even though I only live about 5miles away there wouldn't be a 'snowballs chance in he!!' of getting up there right now

The Lion Inn at Blakey Ridge, is very ancient and notorious because of it's location ... over the years it has seen coach loads of people at a time getting stranded up there in heavy snow ... so all things considered they tend to be prepared for guests in such adverse conditions.

The snow tunnel photo, shows how they dug out the entrance through a drift that had covered the door ... the fire that can be seen is the fire in the bar.

It really is a great spot to be whatever the weather ... in fact it was on the opposite side of the road that I chose as my place to watch the Solar Total Eclipse in August 1999 ... such views under normal circumstances ... amazing !

Woody

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

To be precise my friend i come from whickham and we have had loads of snow. But if anyone has the capacity to read a post i make properly you will see that i have stated most of the main roads are clear and fine. And they are - Go onto the highways agency webpage and see if for yourself. Yes your clearing snow up, off MINOR roads!!......The councils priority is to clear main roads. Park your motor up somewhere better and walk a bit, it wont kill you. As for cash points- maybe in small villages they are empty, but in major towns and cities they are fine....just pay by plastic for most things, leave it a few days and the securicor truck will get through and put the cash back in. Just be patient and everything will be fine. Its not armageddon!!

What i am saying is i dont buy into media hype and frenzy. I just get on with the daily routines of my life and dont constantly moan about how bad things are, or i cant cope. Its all about each persons coping mechanisms on an individual basis, and from what ive seen, most people dont have very good coping mechanisms,and prefer to sit back, moan and go and buy 30 loafs of bread from the shop and make it much worse for everyone else through their completely selfish attitudes to what amounts to a bit of snow. Its ridicolous.

Im not playing it down. All the supermarkets near me have bread and are getting deliveries, albeit, late ones. There are no issues like that. Morrissons have confirmed its all nonsense and the only panic buying going on seems to be down south where they clearly think the world is coming to an end with the tiniest bit of snow on the road.

Theres plenty of salt on our roads as well. You cant chastise all councils when they are all different and all have differing levels of organisation and resources. Gateshead council seems to be fine, others are not. I certainly dont work for them either, although i do work for the public sector. I am opposed to councils for other reasons, but you do seem to be on a mission to blame them completely for this farce. Blame others, blame panicing people, bad driving, the current obsession with health and safety that prevents a bus going out in a smattering of snow........etc etc

I just saw your post above as well about people talking crap if they oppose your opinion. You cant expect not to post a thread and not get a debate going. That is the very essence of debate. I wont go anywhere else as i am entitled to my opinion. Dont post a thread if you feel so strongly about people who may have differing views.I would expect you to have that basic respect for others posting on here.

The government will get grief anyway no matter what they do. We are enduring a period of massive cuts, so everyone is looking for an excuse to put the boot in, and this is as good as any for ppl
edit on 3-12-2010 by Snarf79 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-12-2010 by Snarf79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Just a thought but when this subsides and the snow melts MAYBE we should all get a pair of water wings / lifebelt for the obviously flooding that will occur !!!

Also, I'm in Derbyshire and the Snow is actually quite severe and deep. It froze last night -12 C and there are some serious lumps of ice around... I'm in the country and I have ventured into the Urban areas where it is completely different story with roads passable and no real problems...

I think that there are some areas relatively unaffected Nationally and if you are in a built up area then you really do not know how bad it is ''off the beaten track'''...

I might try and visit the red lion i think..

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I'm starting to wonder if the OP wasn't fear-mongering after all. I think he was giving us a wee heads-up. I'll try and find the link but I just read an article that states we are indeed (north east of Scotland anyway) running out of machine-cash and shop-supplies as the deliveries are finding it difficult to get through on the roads.

So, not quite as covered as it was earlier this year but it's getting there.

I guess the message here is be prepared after all.

Also, the main road from Aberdeen to Dundee has been closed (may have reopened since yesterday?), the trains are off-line and the fuel pumps are running dry.

Of course Health & Safety is also getting in the way - preventing folks from clearing public paths.
edit on 3/12/10 by XHellcatX because: Additional info

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by XHellcatX

Your a good example of someone that needs to be prepared.

Scotland always did and does get hit hard by the snow. So maybe you fall into a small part of the country where the issues raised by the OP are viable.But on a national level - Nope, its total and utter rubbish.

You cant put everyone in the same boat, and massive parts of this country will run fine, without massive choas. Like the north east- and we have had a hell of a lot more snow than down saaaaaarf.

Part of scotland and rural areas are in trouble. But its always been bad. My 85 year old grandparents live in a small hamlet in north yorkshire. They just stock up beforehand. They have endured it for years.Its nothing new and it doesnt phase them.

This country is too busy covering its arse and the public transport are too scared to put on better services incase they get sued for millions if an accident happens. Half of the routes that are shut off are fine. Health and safety dictates so much, and its easy to get blinded by other lesser issues. The snow isnt so bad around huge parts of this country, but we are held to ransom by policies, rules and beaurocracy.

Lets say a big thanks to the daily mirror and the other tabloids for once again scaring the country witless, panicing everyone. Bird flu,sars,swine flu, britain grinds to a halt.i could go on,yawn.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join