It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK this could be snow joke!

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

I wonder how long it will be closed for, this is the second day where no flights have left from there.

I've been on a plane from Edinburgh when it was really cold and they had to spray the whole plane with some kind of de-icing fluid before it could start it's engines.
I was pretty nervous on take off I can tell you

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

They are talking about reopening it tomorrow morning, but the temperatures overnight are going to be pretty dreadful, so I wouldn't take that as gospel. Cant she take the train down instead if they are still running?

Cait x

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I know about normal winters being a wide range of temperature swings and snow as well as rain. This is still bordering on normal as far as I am concerned.

I do suggest people prepare for more of the same till March. It is only December 1st. The coldest parts of normal winters are in Jan - Feb. There is time for preparation, yet.

In the back of my mind is still whether the conveyor system that took warm water from the Gulf of Mexico up to the European coast has re-formed. I can't find any data that tracks under sea currents in the Atlantic Ocean?

This could be a winter of new records, but not new to Earth, just new as current records do not go back to when these colder times were considered normal. Possibly Europeans will have to move to Egypt again, like their ancestors did 5,600 years ago. Though technology is better now than it was back then, giving people an edge against the cold.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

She won't go that long without a cigarette
plus the train fairs are also pretty ridiculous if you book them at the last minute and she already has a return ticket.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Oh dear, I have to travel to London tomorrow for an interview. I need the job, and have a non-refundable ticket. Ok I understand if I miss the train no refund, but if they don't run it then surely I am due a refund. Well technically the wife as she paid for it, I'm skint.

The snow is still coming down, it's now nearly a foot deep and shows no sign of letting up.

Brrrrr....I went for a walk to get a haircut for my interview tomorrow, I am frozen!
needed to warm me up!

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Rob37n

You shouldn't blame the weather for the job interview, you should blame the perpetrator's of politic's that got this country in a mess! The weather's just a distraction and you will have to find alternative way's around it. If your serious enough about the job interview, book a hotel one week in advance or 3 day's in advance and stay at least one block away from the "job". That's what my Father does as rule of thumb for conference meeting's. Yes it cost's more to pay-for-dig's however incase of emergency or preperation, you'll have more than enough time on your hand's to work for thing's. Let it be a lesson that you have left it so late.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Turtlecheif
I live in the north east UK and its pretty bad here. The snow is literally up to your knee everywhere, however I have heard that the councils have double the amount of grit that they had last year and have even more on order so that should not be a problem however the latest weather forecast (i know they do get things wrong) says it will be -20 in some parts of the uk and i was gobsmacked by this. Things are looking like they could last longer then 15 days aswell, there are lighning and thunder storms up here too and everytime one comes it brings a S*** load of snow with it.

The council's around here in Leicestershire/Derbyshire have plenty og grit, however since this is the start of the snow season, and the countries infrastructure is not strong enough to cope. I believe that the council's are preparing a plan to put in-force closer toward's the peak of christmas holiday's when more families will be having time-off. Therefore gritting the road's later on in the year of 2010, and enough supplies to suplly road's of Great Britain into the new year of 2011 and the coming month's. It makes sense, as for now the road's aren't at all bad, main road's, have black ice and snow but not enough to send off driver's, housing estate road's are much worse, especially on hill's. Just remember revving high and spinning the wheel's not only buff's the ice making it more slippery for driver's but is dangerous and will deterioate and destryoy the "CV Gaiter's/Joint's" that your wheel's are connected to. You shear these off through wheel-spinning, your in for a nasty suprise and even can cause fatalities. One of the worst mechanical component's to seize on a car.

That's why I never wheel-spin if the motor cannot handle it, park it up out the way and walk it home. Though I alway's carry bag's of grit in the van and sleeping bag. there's advice for everybody carry some grit in your car to get your stuck tyres out from the ice.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Tyres Socks For Snow

www.roofrackshop.co.uk...

Check this out!

Perfect for ice and snow road's. Takes 5 minutes to place on your car/van/truck tyres.

And here is a driving kit, the triangles and the medic kit's do come in very useful.

www.roofrackshop.co.uk...
edit on 1-12-2010 by DClairvoyant because: Added link.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by caitlinfae
reply to post by jrmcleod

I'm stunned. I don't know how cold it was last night...it's almost like we stop feeling it after a while. One day in February, when we had a two week period of very low temperatures, we were wondering around at work, remaking how balmy and spring like it was. It was still -7 during the day. I guess it's all relative!

Where did you get the forecast of -25 to -30 for this area? Is this forecast soon? I'm not disbelieving you at all, I'm just...well worried, I guess. This is not the coldest part of the Aberdeenshire, for sure, but because of where the house sits, if it's -15 in Aboyne, it will be closer to -20 here.

Cait x

I dont usually follow the BBC or MetO weather forecasts as i find them highly unreliable or "not as they should be". I tend to follow Forums and read the model outputs myself, but be that as it may, it was on the BBC Forecast this afternoon. It has been mentioned elsewhere that Alnaharra in the Highlands has its best shot at breaking the temp tonight as the winds are light and the showers are coming off of the east, and Braemar has its best shot tomorrow night as the winds ease and High Pressure dominates.

I shall put this out there but there is also some concern that the cold snap could extend for another 15 days if the outlook setup doesnt come together. In other words, if the Low Pressure sitting over Europe (italy) doesnt progress any further north into the UK, then the High Pressure over Scandinavia that its over Scotland will keep the blocking feature from the Atlantic in place and keep the North/North Easterly wind blowing into the UK. This would keep the Upper air temp very low (-5 to-10) which would mean any precipitation would fall as snow.

This is not set in stone at the moment and the models have only recently began to suggest this could happen. I will know more later so i will post more later. If it does happen, brace yourselves for cold temps up til christmas.

Lets see what the models say over the next few days...
edit on 1/12/10 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by DClairvoyant

You would think someone would invent something for shoes to walk in snow wehn it comes.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by win 52

IN response to the question about the conveyor system from the GOM / Carr to Europe. Please see this flight planning map, produced by Jeppesen. It's used by pilots to determine winds etc. This one is for the the north Atlantic East Bound Routes.

The yellow lines are jet Stream winds.

Not that our usual jet-stream that come from the East Coast of the USA, now just goes straight east to Africa, instead of coming to us.

Although in fact I noted this change last winter, and to be honest this has not moved any further north, leaving room for a new North to South Jet stream to form, which has been with the UK for the last few weeks at least.

If this is a permanent change, then you best start thinking more like Canadians in the winter, than temperate climate people.

Glad I moved to Mexico, but even there is getting cold now!!

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

They're called snow shoes!!!

2nd

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

You would think someone would invent something for shoes to walk in snow wehn it comes.

That would be an idea worth investing with the Dragon Dens investor's. Have you ever seen "The Day After Tomorrow" where "Jake Gyllenhaal" star's in this epic movie, toward's the mid part of the movie he smashes some chair's and takes the meshed wooden part's and ties it to his feet. Similar idea but use let's say, harden rubber or plastic and the wider the surface area os coverage the better grip. Something like this, www.sixtydriver.com... but made into a sock, ny-image0.etsy.com...

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

If you put a pair of big fluffy socks over your shoes you get lots of grip.

Ruins the socks though

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

LOL, I don't know, it's already been done!

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by DClairvoyant
reply to post by Rob37n

Let it be a lesson that you have left it so late.

Which I would have done normally, except this was set-up at the last minute, and I didn't have the luxury of long term planning, so ya boo sucks to you with knobs on!

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Has anyone got any links to a site or sites regarding the overall weather of the northern hemisphere?
Are we all in the same sledge here?

There was a thread or 2 on here regarding coldest winter in 1000 years and others stating iceage event.
Here I am and I'm wondering to what extent are we at now.
I haven't seen snow like this for years.
Along with the ocean current and volcanic activity and everything else going on I would say that the odds are on for it.

Back to the UK.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

Thank you for the information...very useful as always. It wouldn't surprise me at all if this lasts all the way to Christmas, and living in a farming community, we hear all kinds of things from people here. Last week, farmers were talking about this cold spell lasting till the end of the year, and they have a talent for forecasting. I don't know how they work it out, or how they know, but they are rarely wrong. So yeah...long cold spell ahead.

CX

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

Hi Andy,

Google "Ice shoe grips" and you'll get a few different brands.

www.amazon.co.uk...

They can lose there little studs though over time.

I have seen oldies cutting the toe off of a thick sock and pulling it over their shoes, it works too.

Last year i screwed some half inch screws into the soles of a pair of old walking boots, i did it all over the sole and the heel as well. Not only gave great grip, but tore the ice up as i went.

Just have to be carefull when you go into shops as if you don't tread carefully you could scratch the floor.

They looked like this...

www.slipresistant.net...

CX.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

Link to Europe Weather Analysis from Jeppesen for surface weather.

Looks the same all across europe, and if you check my earlier post you will see WHY!!

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join