It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

UK this could be snow joke!

page: 13
14
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by caitlinfae
reply to post by jrmcleod
 



Thank you for the information...very useful as always. It wouldn't surprise me at all if this lasts all the way to Christmas, and living in a farming community, we hear all kinds of things from people here. Last week, farmers were talking about this cold spell lasting till the end of the year, and they have a talent for forecasting. I don't know how they work it out, or how they know, but they are rarely wrong. So yeah...long cold spell ahead.


Probably from the behaviour of the animals or the foliage. I strongly believe that farmers and the "aged" community amongst us are far more knowledgable about weather patterns than we are with our computers. Computers work within parameters and based on previous models...they dont account for variables such as the 5 senses. People who are outside rural workers have had information passed to them from others, some of these peoples lives depend on it through work etc so i would definately pay heed to what they say...along with topping it up from other sources.

Glad i could help. I will post more information before the nights out.




posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg
 


JakiusFogg

I do not now your background although I have seen your postings before.... Is your 'gut feel' that the weather in the UK is changing and that our winters will be more severe and longer.....

Interesting graphics, I am just trying to get a rounded appreciation of what might be and deciding on my future actions ... so no pressure !!!!
Regards

PurpleDOG UK



posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK
 


'Ello PD.

I caught this almost this time last year, when I noted from the trans Atlantic charts that the "Jet Stream" had changed. Note that, at least as far as I am aware, the Atlantic conveyor, although being a water convection in the Atlantic, it also affects the prevailing winds. which is why the UK and Ireland always had a lot of systems blowing in off the Atlantic. (Mild and Wet)
Anyway I noted last winter that the Winds Aloft jet stream had changed. i.e. moved south. This was prompted by a report that the Greenland ice Sheet was melting faster than expected, And sure enough, the Wind Jet Stream Has now moved further south, meaning that instead of the winds coming from the west are now coming from the north.

In short, regardless of the causes, or the conspiracy. I do feel this could be the start of a long term issue for northern Europe. Bringing it more into line with Northern Canada.

By the way. No pressure felt. as this is my opinion, but who am I??? Each man is responsible for his / her own actions. whatever they decide to base them on. And need to live with the consequences. But what consequences will we need to live with!
edit on 1/12/2010 by JakiusFogg because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg
 


Thankyou for replying

I find the idea that our weather has changed, relatively quickly.... both fascinating and worrying...

If true or not then through Main Stream Media we would never know until it has already happened......

At least ATS provides 'potential' insight into what is happen now !!

Thanks

PurpleDOG UK



posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg
 


Well, I am in Manitoba.

What I have noticed is more of a South to North flow with the storms, lately. That means our winter will be warmer with more snow, like Japan where the flow goes that way. That leaves Europe with a North to South flowing air mass, All that is needed would be for the warm water in the Ocean to stop flowing North and Europe would plunge into another Mini Ice Age.

This is the main reason why all those people went South some 5,600 years ago. Being as we didn't have an epic oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, possibly a cometary impact could also be to blame?

To add: Possibly this could be part of a cyclical event we are not aware of, having nothing to do with anything we may be doing at the moment. China has abandoned any concern about carbon pollution and taxing that, why? Do they know something the rest of the world doesn't, or the rest of the world is being lied to about, for profit? Could their history give us clues, that we don't hear about?

Talking about the ice melting, adding fresh water, halting the water conveyor, plunging Europe into a cold snap, theory that I watched a documentary about several years ago. So now it is here, but studying ice core data, we have been here before, it seems.

I am not sure how many seal skins and Reindeer Hides it takes to make a snow suit?

edit on 1-12-2010 by win 52 because: (no reason given)


CX

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Well we finaly got our first bit of snow, about 5 or 6 inches in just a couple of hours.


Went out about 6am to get a few piccies and do shome shopping for the oldies here, have cleared a few paths too.

Took this nice pic this morning...



CX.



posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX


CX.


yep one thing about the snow, is it makes for some nice pics.



posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by JakiusFogg
reply to post by PurpleDog UK
 


'Ello PD.

I caught this almost this time last year, when I noted from the trans Atlantic charts that the "Jet Stream" had changed.


I knew exactly what was happening with the first anomalous weather pattern in early Feb' 2009, didn't say anything on here but on New Scientist i posted at length about the global conveyor affecting the jetstreams and throwing Arctic weather South, posted on Yahoo and elsewhere, also explained it to ministers in New Labour and contacted our main news agencies explaining it all, before US scientists corroborated it was in fact the conveyor and jetstream vectors shifting.

Only reason i didn't chime in pages back when members asked for explanation, is i am sick of articulating the factors, said it all before many times in the past couple of years, in depth, to climate change deniers denigrating it all so came to the conclusion, i can't be bothered anymore.

But when i first started explaining exactly what was happening early in Feb 2009, i didn't see many people agreeing with me, not even the US scientists who gave press releases in late Feb/early March almost verbatim to what i was stating and people were calling me a nut job and didn't believe the scientists either.

Didn't see many people agreeing with me then, bit too fast off the block with explaining it all and so over their tiny heads, they didn't have a chance to read about it all over the place and how could i know all about it, ay, don't think they are arguing much now but i can't be bothered to explain things i have insight into much anymore because unless it comes from some arsehole with several letters after their name people just don't believe it then hundreds of thousands to millions of pounds are spent coming to same conclusions where what i know i convey for nothing and all i ever want is a thank you but i don't even get responses, then i see what i conveyed used and these people are living comfortable lives and i can't even get a job and live in poverty, i am not nor ever have been a greedy man but i have to eat like a mouse and get caused nothing but stress, those people with several letters after their names get thanked for wasting time and money to say exactly the same as me and i still get called a nut job, so i have decided i can't be bothered to enlighten people anymore, on multivarious subjects i have insight into most do not seem to understand, i get no thanks for it just caused stress and my reputation trashed by politicians and others, online numbnuts who are positively thick compared to myself and those similar, because we are outside academic convention.

And yes, it will be getting worse in the future, so will heat spikes be hitting us more often, where hypothermia at the opposite end of the spectrum will kill even more people, as well as affect agriculture, these Arctic temp's will have a knock on effect on produce and so will heat spikes in the summers.

By this time last year, i had already posted so much i could have written a rather long book, on this subject of the conveyor and jetstreams.



edit on 2-12-2010 by DeltaPan because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Here in Brighton it is 1 foot deep and all trains cancelled.

At last, the day I have been waiting for all these years - so much snow it is impossible to get to work.

Praise the Lord! And I'm not even religious!

Up till now it's just been half arsed attempts at snow so it's not enough to stay at home, but enough that it's a pain to get to work on slippy,ungritted roads. Just need a bit more now to shut for Friday as well.



posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
This thread is completely pathetic, and clearly the person who has posted it has totally bought into the usual media over exaggerations of how bad everything is.

The police also play a part with their rubbish by stating we shouldnt go out unless absolutely neccessary.

The facts of the matter are that the majority of main/major roads are kept open and are largely clear of any really slippy snow. Yes most of the estates and small roads are pretty bad and precautions should be taken, but once people have actually got over the fact they may have to pick up a shovel and dig a car out, then they should be ok. It doesnt usually take very long. The other alternative, and the one i do, is to park my car off the estate and on a road close to mine, that doesnt get affected as much- If people can be bothered to walk a short distance, then maybe try that instead of ploughing onto your snow filled road every night and insisting on parking on your drive etc, then wonder why you get stuck??

The standard of driving is appalling. By all means slow down, but why cant people understant that a bit of wet slush on a road is not going to make your car lose traction. Its really just like driving in rain, although be careful on corners and bends, even in a lot of the slush.Why do people insist on driving at 3mph even in wet slush????Why, because they buy into all the crap the media pours down their throat every day, like the person who wrote this thread. I am very suprised you didnt get SARS or bird flu....were we not all supposed to die from that??

Proper snow does require a change in driving. Gently dabbing the accelerator and getting a general feel for the car and slip under the wheels is fairly easy, keep in low gear and no harsh movements of steering wheels. I dont profess to be an expert like some on here, but its not that hard.

The rubbish driving and panic brough on by the media/public services brings this country to its knees and the only reason why carnage and choas occurs is down to the fact that most people are just completely sucked into this garbage we have to now endure every winter.

Ill continue with my normal daily life and certainly wont panic and buy 50 loafs of bread, ten pints of milk and 50kg of spuds, quite simply because i can manage. The only thing that needs changes are the media and the govermental bodies that are often so far detached from real life they dont even know whats going on in the streets, let alone handle some snow and a lot of the general public that just behave like loons in a bit of bad weather.

Just roll with it!

(on for anyone reading - i come from the north east near newcastle - apparantly one of the worst places hit. Yes its fairly bad, but not as bas as what the good old media are portraying- For the person from the north east who posted earlier on saying it was up to your knees everywhere- please dont talk rubbish- its up to your knees on the estates and streets, which is pretty standard stuff......We have had winters like this before- winter of discontent in 1979 was just as bad, its nothing new. People got on with it then, why cant we do it now??)
edit on 2-12-2010 by Snarf79 because: Forgot to add stuff



posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarf79
 


Have you actually seen the level of traffic accidents at the moment?
BBC traffic

edit to add
People in the 50's - 60's usually lived pretty close to where they worked so in the worst cases they could just walk, now most people are 1 or 2 hour commute away and they have no option but to drive down roads that are completely jammed because people have crashed on them
edit on 2-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf79
This thread is completely pathetic, and clearly the person who has posted it has totally bought into the usual media over exaggerations of how bad everything is.

The police also play a part with their rubbish by stating we shouldnt go out unless absolutely neccessary.

The facts of the matter are that the majority of main/major roads are kept open and are largely clear of any really slippy snow. Yes most of the estates and small roads are pretty bad and precautions should be taken, but once people have actually got over the fact they may have to pick up a shovel and dig a car out, then they should be ok. It doesnt usually take very long. The other alternative, and the one i do, is to park my car off the estate and on a road close to mine, that doesnt get affected as much- If people can be bothered to walk a short distance, then maybe try that instead of ploughing onto your snow filled road every night and insisting on parking on your drive etc, then wonder why you get stuck??

The standard of driving is appalling. By all means slow down, but why cant people understant that a bit of wet slush on a road is not going to make your car lose traction. Its really just like driving in rain, although be careful on corners and bends, even in a lot of the slush.Why do people insist on driving at 3mph even in wet slush????Why, because they buy into all the crap the media pours down their throat every day, like the person who wrote this thread. I am very suprised you didnt get SARS or bird flu....were we not all supposed to die from that??

Proper snow does require a change in driving. Gently dabbing the accelerator and getting a general feel for the car and slip under the wheels is fairly easy, keep in low gear and no harsh movements of steering wheels. I dont profess to be an expert like some on here, but its not that hard.

The rubbish driving and panic brough on by the media/public services brings this country to its knees and the only reason why carnage and choas occurs is down to the fact that most people are just completely sucked into this garbage we have to now endure every winter.

Ill continue with my normal daily life and certainly wont panic and buy 50 loafs of bread, ten pints of milk and 50kg of spuds, quite simply because i can manage. The only thing that needs changes are the media and the govermental bodies that are often so far detached from real life they dont even know whats going on in the streets, let alone handle some snow and a lot of the general public that just behave like loons in a bit of bad weather.

Just roll with it!

(on for anyone reading - i come from the north east near newcastle - apparantly one of the worst places hit. Yes its fairly bad, but not as bas as what the good old media are portraying- For the person from the north east who posted earlier on saying it was up to your knees everywhere- please dont talk rubbish- its up to your knees on the estates and streets, which is pretty standard stuff......We have had winters like this before- winter of discontent in 1979 was just as bad, its nothing new. People got on with it then, why cant we do it now??)
edit on 2-12-2010 by Snarf79 because: Forgot to add stuff



Lovely ... a tough guy with a pretty big voice for a new member I see


So you're from Newcastle good for you feller ... I'm from the North York Moors and I can assure you that whilst we don't have any estates around here ... we do have plenty of knee high snow ... just wondering if the cold got to my brain and the lorry drivers (professional drivers by the very nature of their job) that were seen to be stranded overnight all along the motorway between York to Doncaster were a mere figment of my imagination.

Maybe you should stop for a second and engage brain before opening mouth to make such ridiculously sweeping statements ... people who do that often end up looking rather silly don't y'think ?


Please consider the fact (as an intelligent human being) that just because the weather is not as severe in your area ... it doesn't mean it's the same a couple miles down the road ... let alone 30 - 40 miles down the road. You hadn't forgotten that Yorkshire is the biggest county in the country had you and covers a substantial area ?

Oh and welcome to ATS however long you happen to be here for !

Woody



posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarf79
 


I'm going to keep troll feeding to a minimum here....but I just can't let this go. I'm really pleased for you that you're coping so well, but it's presumptious beyond belief of you that you assume you can talk for everyone here, or in the UK. Things *are* that bad in some places...especially rural areas, like where I live. Even in suburban areas here, people are struggling to get about. I live 8 miles from the main road....no public transport at all here, and not because of the weather...there is none anyway, so if people like me want to get out, we have to drive. Drving in snow is aboslutely not like driving in rain. A foot of snow on top of sheet ice that still hasn't been gritted after 10 days, with daytime temperatures of -9 like it is here now, is not the same as a wet road. Sorry, but you're wrong.

People here have made a lot of effort to keep each other informed, and we've all found it useful, and reassuring. I really can't see the point of your input at all...why criticise us for communicating our experiences and sharing information? If you're coping so admirably, then it really has nothing to do with you. It's one little thread on a website with perhaps a lot more to criticise than weather updates.

Snack over.



posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Still no sign of the snow stopping here in Yorkshire. I must say I cant remember it snowing this much in my 30 years of been here. It as snowed for most of the day every day since it first fell nearly a week ago.

The traffic is horrendous, The roads have about one foot of compact snow/ice on them, you can tell this when you pass a man hole cover and it has no snow covering it, me and my friend got the car stuck last night just parking up for an hour at our other friends and had to dig the wheels out of the snow to get home again.

Peoples roofs are been covered with snow until they get so much on them that it all falls off in a type of avalanche, I all so heard that the police where grounded in our city through the thick snow, which might not be a bad thing as they are charging people £70 on the spot fine for having snow on their roof.

Here is a link to my city's news paper there are some pics on there of what we are getting at the min.

www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk...

Thanks.



posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   

media over exaggerations of how bad everything is


The weather is news. News = views views= ad revenue. So yes, of course it is in the best interest of the media to keep us interested.

As for over exaggeration, I think that the hundreds of people stuck on broken down trains overnight might argue that their discomfort is NOT exaggerated.

I am in the Southeast, commuter belt of London, and it's pretty bad here relatively. The bottom line is that millions of people depend on public transport here, and when public transport is not working, then it IS bad. I walked to work today, a trip the normally take 20 minutes took me 45 minutes as for some reason side walks in this country just get ignored. Then again, everyone depends on the councils do do it, so it never gets done.

If everyone just did the bit in front of their house or their business, we'd have job done, but no one does. They just complain
.

In the meantime, hundreds of my co workers couldn't come to work today because schools are closed and they have no one to look after their children or they live in areas where it is just impossible for them to safely travel.

The problem isn't the snow, even if heavy. The problem is the lack of ability for infrastructure to handle the snow. And for drivers the lack of confidence. I understand that, I wouldn't drive in this, I can barely walk/slip./slide in it



posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I'm in North Africa at the moment and trying to get home after my month stint. Was supposed to leave yesterday. My back to back is now stuck in London waiting to travel here to relieve me. Was looking at some webcams of London and to be honest there isn't a lot of snow there. 1 foot deep they said. Is that all? The whole of London is basically shut down. Heathrow and Gatwick airports are shut and the rail system is at a standstill too.

I'm on my way back to Aberdeen where my my back to back just came from. In Aberdeen there is 2 - 3 feet of snow but Air Travel and Trains are still operating.

How in the hell can just a wee bit of snow shut down a whole city? The councils over there really need to give themselves a well earned slap in the face for that Fiasco.



posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by DeltaPan
 


DeltaPan

I can see your dis-appointed by the response you had over a year ago.... I am interested in this and am starting to think that maybe Europe and the UK are going to be seriously affected for many years to come.....

I need to start making plans I think..

Regards

PurpleDOG UK



posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by stevcolx
I'm in North Africa at the moment and trying to get home after my month stint. Was supposed to leave yesterday. My back to back is now stuck in London waiting to travel here to relieve me. Was looking at some webcams of London and to be honest there isn't a lot of snow there. 1 foot deep they said. Is that all? The whole of London is basically shut down. Heathrow and Gatwick airports are shut and the rail system is at a standstill too.

I'm on my way back to Aberdeen where my my back to back just came from. In Aberdeen there is 2 - 3 feet of snow but Air Travel and Trains are still operating.

How in the hell can just a wee bit of snow shut down a whole city? The councils over there really need to give themselves a well earned slap in the face for that Fiasco.


Welcome back when you get back - fellow oil industry worker!

Am also in aberdeen - it's cold and snowy...but you knew that!



posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I find it kinda funny to see the railways shutting down. All that high-tech and it can't handle the cold. Even funnier when you see old film of the steam locomotives chugging away through deep snow, with snow ploughs fitted.
As for driving, most people just don't seem to be able to get it into their thick skulls that they need to slow down, take it steady and they might just tet where they want to go. I can see, if this is going to be the new pattern, that we'll adopt winter tyres too, which is a good idea. At the moment, trying to get winter tyres is difficult and there are very limited stocks everywhere - I have tried and given up. Next year I plan to get them ordered and fitted well in advance of any possible bad weather. They are, after all, supposed to be used and are optimised for temperatures below 7 degrees celsius, not just for snow.
I also see people who have managed to get winter tyres are being ripped off by some of the insurance companies who are classing it as a modification. I think that is a combination of both greed and a lack of knowledge on the part of the call centres that handle queries. I'll keep looking in the meantime though, might get lucky.



posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Well here's a newsflash. We don't all live in cities, let alone London. We don't all live on 'estates'. Access to my little hamlet is via a main but minor road which is occasionally gritted as an afterthought. Then we have a farm track to our houses. The track becomes impassable quite easily so we park on the road and walk. Unfortunately the road itself is increasingly impassable. It's not a matter of being too lazy to pick up a shovel. The hill is simply too slippy.
So I personally HAVE seen the writing on the wall with this the third of a line of local increasingly bad winters. People who have lived here all their lives say the last couple of years have been unprecedented. It's even made my job 14 miles away in N Yorks untenable.
I did manage to get winter tyres for my aging Peugeot. And my neighbours are swapping over to 4 wheel drives. Last year I bought a sled to haul down provisions from the main road.
But I'm not getting any younger. I am now wondering not only whether I should move but which country I should move to. If it's not too late.
Ideas anyone?
edit on 2-12-2010 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)



new topics

top topics



 
14
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

log in

join