It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK this could be snow joke!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I'm suprised that there hasn't been threads about this yet but here it is.
The UK at the moment is having a wintery snap that could actually cause chaos. Especially if we can't deal with it. The wintery weather is expected to last 15 days and expected temperatures to drop to - 10C.
Now I know what you're all about to say but think of it like this.
If roads are not kept open and grit supplies run out then that in my opinion could cause chaos.
The food in our stores and the money in the banks and cash points ATM's would possibly run out. Yes they could because they both need replenished. If roads become un accessable and shops and ATM's don't get filled then where are we?

It will bring the UK to a standstill also expect major news regarding energy companies making a killing profiting from others misery.
I may be wrong but I would urge those of you that see where I'm coming from to prepare. Get some supplies in, incase I am right.
Be safe.

Could the winter snap
Ground flights
Cancel rail
Stop travel
All effecting the UK in every way including financially?
This could be our disaster of sorts.
edit on 27-11-2010 by jazz10 because: add

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   
hey im uk too I have only seen an inch of snow in the last week, it seems worse east side of the UK at the min, its very warm today too,

also I have a log burner so no energy bills for me!!

get yourself one, then you can burn anything wood

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
We have snow weather here in Denmark to..
I love it.. so beuttiful, I wish it would never stop

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Ohhh PUURRRRLLEAASEEEE

All we have to do is stock up on oats, flour, butter, canned foods, rice, pasta - simples!

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by anonymousanonymous

All good, I've already done that too.

To the other reply yes its beautiful but that's only until deliveries are hard to make. Once ATM's and food stores start struggling to supply demand what do we have?

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

-10C isn't enough to bring everything to a stop. It is that cold here (southern Ontario) during the winter and we still get things done.

Check to see if Alberta and Saskatchewan shut down this past week, they had a cold snap and were waking up to -34C temps. I'm pretty sure everything kept running, just dress in layers and keep your pantry stocked.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by canuckistanian

I'm afraid the situation is somewhat different in the UK as the local authorities never seem to remember that it snows here.
As soon as we get a few inches on the ground the roads ice up and no one can drive anywhere.
We don't as a rule have show chains or winter tyres or snow ploughs or anything of that nature.

We have already had one plane overshoot a runway because of it
edit on 27-11-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Im in the UK, last year the roads was covered in snow and ice from november through till february.

And where still here! Amazing!

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
We've got an inch of snow, an inch. Most roads are 100% passable, no disruption to electricity/gas supplies, the shops & businesses are open, there's money in ATM's, even the bank branches were open this morning ... so it's life as normal.

But never let the facts get in the way of a scaremongerer. An inch of snow doesn't make a disaster & it's insulting to even post such a claim given the weather some of our overseas ATS friends will have to endure over the next few months.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Spinster

Yes I remember it being quite fun actually.
Lots of snowball fights and some very rude snowmen! It certainly did cause quite a few transport problems though

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Do they not salt or sand the roads? That's just not poor urban planning, that's irresponsible. I use all season tires but then my commute is mostly highway and our roads are plowed religiously.

2nd line...with a chance of flurries...

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Well its brought my footy to a stand still this weekend and thats bad enough for me.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Yeah well try telling that to the UK government and while you're at it ask how last year caused chaos. We in the UK were left in the crap due to lack of gritting and lack of salt. A relatively easy situation WILL cause chaos due to lack of preparing.
Refuse collection also.
Just watch. It will happen.
Delivery to food stores
Airports closed (stranded passengers)
Rail
Public transport
Cash shortages( ATM's running empty)
Power failures
Then after all of these and more we have flooding.
Mark my words.

I aint creating this thread as a prediction just a gentle shove for you to just get the neccesities in now because just maybe its better to have and not need then to need and not have.
Again Be safe. Be prepared. Maybe something yet I hope its nothing.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Yeah, the UK government are notoriously inept when it comes to this issue. No doubt we'll have some sporadic issues here and there if the weather worsens, but I can't see it being a major issue.

At the same time, the UK media are also notorious for completely exaggerating this issue, so I wouldn't put much stock in the headlines that are destined to be written.

People just need to prepare by doing the simple things. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail

edit on 27/11/2010 by LiveForever8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   

I can understand that. When I lived in south Georgia if we got an inch or two of snow, which was only once or twice in the last 10 years, the whole state shut down. The shelves at the grocery store were empty, the banks were closed, most business were closed. Panic set in really fast and there were accidents and people breaking into stores. Some places aren't equiped (sp?) to deal with winter weather.

I live in North Dakota now and nothing stops when it snows, which just baffles people from home. Below zero temps, a foot of snow, and ice storms, not to mention the wind blowing 40 or 50 miles an hour. So for people not ready or accustomed to it the winter weather can paralize a city.

(sorry for an spelling mistakes, i am a horrid speller. I have tried everything to improve but it just doesn't work)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
15 days of temperature to -10 is nothing.

Last winter in Latvia we had about 2 weeks of temperatures lower then -20 it even dropped to -30. Also we had nasty snowstorms and snow was 60 to 100+ centimeters deep. I remember how some people were stuck on the road - we had some traffic problems yeah. We couldn't drive on smaller roads because of snow - we had to have a snow shovel always in car. But the big roads and cities hadn't so much problems. I live in rural area - so we had some problems because we do not have big effective "snow-cars" that clean roads.

Was it coldest winter and also winter with deepest snow in 200 years recorded history? Yes.
Did we have havoc or was our economy severely affected? No.

Sure government run out of funds for road maintenance. But they get the money from emergency fund.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
The uk struggles with a dusting of snow yet Russia they handle it like pros.
Interesting actually what's the weather situations elsewhere in Europe? Or is it just the UK?

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   

They do grit the roads but they only ever seem to have enough grit for about a week and only the main roads.

I've been in New Hampshire when there's been a good 4-5 feet of snow and everything ran fine

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by anonymousanonymous
Ohhh PUURRRRLLEAASEEEE

All we have to do is stock up on oats, flour, butter, canned foods, rice, pasta - simples!

I'd also add to that list of essentials - luxury soft toilet rolls! It's what keeps our stoic stiff upper lip from sagging and helped build the Empire! One simply cannot face snowbound armageddon without keeping some modicum of civility!

Back to the weather.....

One of the biggest issues always seems to be the transport problems, especially the roads. I'd say most people just don't seem to be able to cope and what little common sense they may possess just disappears at the first drop of snow. Many don't seem to realise that, although their car may get going, they need a much greater stopping distance to allow for lighter braking. A big 4X4 SUV shod with fancy alloys and low profile road tyres is not going to be much help when it gets slippy.
Despite the bad weather last year, I never once lost any control of my car yet people around me were slipping and sliding all over the place. It's just sensible driving and common sense that gets me along on my way!

Another one that always makes me roll my eyes a bit is the whiners complaining about ungritted pavements. I had a chuckle last year seeing the BBC stopping a couple of people in the street to get their reactions to this hazard. First the guy they stopped - business suit and flat soled office shoes, devoid of any amount of grip. Secondly, the woman they stopped - Stiletto heeled, fashionable knee-length boots, again without any kind of grip. It really beggars belief that these idiots just don't anticipate the hazards or dress in more practical clothes / footwear for the prevailing conditions.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

You don't remember the winter of 1963?
Now THAT was a winter...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join