It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N. Korea Crisis - Updated as News come to hand

page: 78
<< 75  76  77    79  80  81 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Ohio class carry the tridents right. If I dont know what is going to come of this but the only thing I can say is WOW

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by peter_kandra
reply to post by Thepreye

I have to agree with MikeBoydUS. I'm pretty certain our planners envisioned every possible scenario including our possible economic collapse and its ramifications both militarily and politically. I'd be surprised if they didn't have a multitude of contingency plans for almost every conceivable event over the next several decades. If I recall, the military also recently assesed our advantages / disadvantages through 2050 or so.

People wouldn't believe what we plan for. We have CONPLANs for practically everything. We have OPLANs for Korea that can quickly turn into OPORDs/ Operations Orders. I guarantee the Joint Chiefs and the SecDef are pouring over them right now and will make appropriate recommendations to the POTUS.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thepreye

reply to post by Thepreye

I have to agree with MikeBoydUS. I'm pretty certain our planners envisioned every possible scenario including our possible economic collapse and its ramifications both militarily and politically. I'd be surprised if they didn't have a multitude of contingency plans for almost every conceivable event over the next several decades. If I recall, the military also recently assesed our advantages / disadvantages through 2050 or so.

Err, by what you write you agree with me, here's some help for many folk not just PK try reading the actual words as written rather than trying to glean the intent, mood or "side" of another poster.

I bet simply by what people here think they've read many posters think I either support the NKorean regime or dislike "Americans" neither is true, try your best to read what others say rather than yet again failing in your quest for telepathy.

I'm certainly not implying that you support the NK regime. I understand your post and I'm not downplaying the significance of what Caterpillar is doing (especially since they are one of the 30 companies that make up the DOW). McDonalds also did a smaller issue of $30 million in renminbi bonds back in August, and I don't recall any significant backlash or outcry. The whole point of my post was that planners plan for all possible events and outcomes. In any event, can we all agree to hope that things don't escalate further?

link   
Here is what North Korea is saying happened, according to xinhua, the Chinese news agency.

Artillery firing in self-defense: DPRK

From the Link:

Artillery firing in self-defense: DPRK

English.news.cn 2010-11-24 21:18:36

PYONGYANG, Nov. 24 (Xinhua) -- A spokesman of the Foreign Ministry of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) said in a statement Wednesday that its military measures taken in the exchange of artillery firing with South Korea on Nov. 23 is in "self-defense", the official news agency KCNA reported.

Link

North Korea's view, according to the report, is that it was firing in self-defence.

DPRK accuses S. Korea of aggravating north-south relations

From the Link:

DPRK accuses S. Korea of aggravating north-south relations

English.news.cn 2010-11-24 19:26:28

PYONGYANG, Nov. 24 (Xinhua) -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) Wednesday denounced artillery fire by South Korea as a deterioration of the north-south relations, the official news agency KCNA reported.

The Central Committee of the Red Cross Society of the DPRK issued a statement on Wednesday, accusing South Korea of "derailing the process for improving the inter-Korean relations, scuttling the inter-Korean Red Cross talks and driving the situation to the brink of war by pursuing its policy of confrontation with the DPRK."

Besides, the Red Cross of South Korea should be responsible for having "scuttled such humanitarian undertakings as the normalization of the reunion of separated families and relatives," as it is "a waiting maid" of the South Korean authorities, declaring the indefinite postponement of the talks.

South Korea's anti-reunification acts are intolerable, as it vitiated the atmosphere for improving the inter-Korean relations and drove the situation to the "brink of war," the statement said.

The "traitors will never be able to escape severer punishment by the nation," the statement said.

According to the KCNA, South Korea fired toward the waters of the DPRK with dozens of shells around Yonphyong Islet in the west coast at 1:00 p.m. local time on Tuesday.

The DPRK's army immediately fired back against South Korea's military provocation with determined military measures, said the report.

The Supreme Command of Korean People's Army (KPA) of the DPRK issued a statement on Tuesday, warning the south side that the DPRK will take merciless military counter-actions against it without any hesitation if South Korea dared to intrude into the waters of the DPRK.

According to South Korean media, Yonphyong Islet suffered artillery fire from the DPRK on Tuesday, and several South Korean soldiers and civilians were reportedly killed.

It is reported that a military exercise named "Hoguk" was being held by South Korea in the nearby waters from Nov. 22 to Nov. 30.

Link

S. Korea's Lee mulls revising rules of engagement following shelling

From the Link:

S. Korea's Lee mulls revising rules of engagement following shelling

English.news.cn 2010-11-24 16:53:24

SEOUL, Nov. 24 (Xinhua) -- South Korean President Lee Myung-bak on Wednesday ordered the government to consider revising rules of engagement to better respond to provocations, following an exchange of fire a day ago with the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK).

In a meeting with senior presidential secretaries, Lee said the government should consider rewriting the country's rules of engagement in order to "respond more actively to regional provocations," according to his office Cheong Wa Dae.

He also ordered beefing up force on the five northernmost islands in the Yellow Sea to enhance military readiness in case of the DPRK's future provocations, Cheong Wa Dae said.

During the exchange of fires on Tuesday, the DPRK shelled South Korea's Yeongpyeong Island in what Seoul called an "unprovoked attack," killing two marines and two civilians. It also fired artillery shells into waters near the disputed western sea border.

Pyongyang claims Seoul's shells fell in its side of the maritime border before it opened fire.

South Korea was engaged in routine military exercises in the region that mobilized some 70,000 troops.

Earlier in the day, Lee and U.S. President Barak Obama agreed in their telephone conversation to join hands in efforts to respond to the shelling, which they said was a "pre-mediated" provocation.

Lee also talked with Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan over the telephone to discuss the issue, and is scheduled to have telephone conversations with British Prime Minister David Cameron and German Chancellor Angel Merkel later in the day, according to Cheong Wa Dae.

Link

So a beefing up of South Korean forces on five northernmost islands, US-South Korean military exercises still scheduled to go ahead, and South Korea's leader scheduled to make international phone calls.

Meanwhile this is what China are saying...

China "worried" about shelling incident between DPRK, ROK, urges restraint

China "worried" about shelling incident between DPRK, ROK, urges restraint

BEIJING, Nov. 24 (Xinhua) -- China on Wednesday said it was worried about the situation after the deadly exchange of fire between the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) and the Republic of Korea (ROK), and urged both sides to stay calm while refraining from similar events.

"China pays great attention to the event. We feel grieved and regretful about the casualties and property losses, and feel worried about its development," Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said in a statement Wednesday night.

DPRK and ROK on Tuesday exchanged fires in waters off the west coast of the divided Korean Peninsula, in which four ROK marines and civilians were killed and 16 others injured.

Link

Chinese Premier meets with Russian president, vowing to strengthen ties

From the Link:

Chinese Premier meets with Russian president, vowing to strengthen ties

English.news.cn 2010-11-24 19:50:02

MOSCOW, Nov. 24 (Xinhua) -- Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao met with Russian President Dmitry Medvedev here Wednesday, agreeing to further strengthen bilateral ties and exchanging views on international and regional issues of common concern.

At a press conference prior to Wen's departure for Russia, China's Assistant Foreign Minister Cheng Guoping said that the two leaders will mainly exchange views on ways of promoting political mutual trust, broadening and deepening economic cooperation, and further strengthening cultural exchanges.

Wen arrived in St. Petersburg on Monday to pay an official visit to Russia. In St. Petersburg, he held talks with Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin and attended the signing ceremony of a dozen of bilateral cooperation pacts. He also attended a leaders' forum on tiger protection in the coastal city.

Link

Interesting developments.

edit on 24-11-2010 by Regensturm because: (no reason given)

link   
As I have stated previously in this thread, there will be no war. In fact, as reported on Fox News, the UN will be offering more aid to appease the dangerous NK regime. Ops normal. Armeggedon averted once more. Nothing else to see here, move along.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Feltrick

If there is to be a war it will come as a thief in the night. The North and South have been exchanging shots for many many years and until I hear the words ---Artillery shelling of Seoul Korea commenced at --:--.-- then I will not be phased by such actions.

ProTip: Relax, enjoy your day. Have coffee or two, get off of here and spend some time with your family if you have one. Put in a good days work, conspiracy theory sites are for the most part, new age tabloids and fantasy.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   

. The whole point of my post was that planners plan for all possible events and outcomes?

Agreed, as we always did, I was pointing out that in the process of making these plans, allowing for all contingencies, playing their games and plotting scenarios, this was exactly the type of information all the concerned parties would be factoring into their contingencies and thus was a pertinent post by Oozy in the first place.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Rocky Black

so why are you still here on internet ?go to the bunker and let us who are unprepared to die

i will tell you a little secret :The cold war is over

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Feltrick
As I have stated previously in this thread, there will be no war. In fact, as reported on Fox News, the UN will be offering more aid to appease the dangerous NK regime. Ops normal. Armeggedon averted once more. Nothing else to see here, move along.

If the UN gives these Muppets in the North loads of food and supplies for what they did the other day, I would imagine that 99% of South Koreans would be mightily pi**ed off...!

This is just soooo wrong, it's just going to encourage them (NK) to do something else, WTF!

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Voice of Korea, North Korea's international shortwave radio station, broadcasts statement in regard to Yeonpyeong shelling:

Many interesting things to be found on the shortwave. TPTB and the MSM have yet to kill shortwave off as one of the last independent communication and media mediums where views can be heard from all over the world (the original internet), though they are trying their damnest, have no doubt.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Let me get this straight. North Korea just let Siegfried Hecker, the former director of the Los Alamos Nuclear Laboratory, a good look at the enrichment programs. Less than a week later, they attack South Korea. We're going to war, people. Again.

Sources:

Siegfried Hecker Story

Latest On The N. Korea Attack
edit on 24-11-2010 by baked because: to add sources

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by baked
Let me get this straight. North Korea just let Siegfried Hecker, the former director of the Los Alamos Nuclear Laboratory, a good look at the enrichment programs. Less than a week later, they attack South Korea. We're going to war, people. Again.

Can you elaborate a bit more please. I am confused about the link between those two events?

Thanks,

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by jonny2410

He's showing off the size of his member. (figuratively speaking, of course.) It's as good as a threat in today's world. If that wasn't bad enough, he now attacks S Korea. It looks like since Kim doesn't have long left in power, he's going to finish what he started.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by baked
reply to post by jonny2410

He's showing off the size of his member. (figuratively speaking, of course.) It's as good as a threat in today's world. If that wasn't bad enough, he now attacks S Korea. It looks like since Kim doesn't have long left in power, he's going to finish what he started.

But is he going to destroy his son's rule, his nation and his "empire" by starting a war with SK/US? North Korea, himself and all his family would be obliterated. Just because he might be dying does not mean the DPRK needs to?

It really boils down to how insane he is...
edit on 11/24/2010 by jonny2410 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Regensturm

good gosh,
I couldn't understand a dang
thing that woman said in
that video. Half the time
it didn't even sound like
english.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   

So let me get this straight.

You test under ground nukes.

Shoot missle over Japan.

Shoot missle over korea.

South points in your direction and shoots into the see you open fire on civilians. WTF

The response should have been immediate launch of one tactical nuke surface det right on kims house. Now you give this guy time to plan and time to talk to other countries to try to tal us out of retaliation.

If we did this what do you think the outcome would have been.

Thats right dont mess with the South Koreans.

They sank your ship and you didf nothing.

Now they bomb you and you do nothing. You fire into the woods.

What do we to them to give them pay back. Lets see. Oh ya here you go here comes a couple of tons of rice and diesle.

Idiots. Let them starve they feed the relief to the upper military service men and make the civi's pay top price for stuff me gave them for free.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Some more updates
www.youtube.com...

Video of USS George Washington en route to South Korea

www.nytimes.com...

U.S. to Send Carrier for Joint Exercises Off Korea

President Obama and South Korea’s president agreed Tuesday night to hold joint military exercises as a first response to North Korea’s deadly shelling of a South Korean military installation, as both countries struggled for the second time this year to keep a North Korean provocation from escalating into war.

Here we go again

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

the problem with that is that as usual he will not show up to vote.

Smart guy. To bad he couldn't make a decision....EVER

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
reply to post by Regensturm

good gosh,
I couldn't understand a dang
thing that woman said in
that video. Half the time
it didn't even sound like
english.

I understand. The problem is that it's a mixture of a Korean woman reading out a statement in English and speaking a language that is not her mother tongue, as well as slight audio distortion caused by propogation on shortwave.

If you go to watch the video on the youtube website instead, there is a box below the video that to the right that says "Interactive transcript."

Click on it, and the words will be displayed that are being said.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

No bunker just a standard house. I wish we had some more information about the situation. Have you been to KOREA have you been to CHINA. I have KIM will never reunify because he will never give up his power. He is very well versed in our way of life. He is a big hollywood movie buff as well.

top topics

<< 75  76  77    79  80  81 >>

join