It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Dogs and Metaphysics

page: 1
6
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Im always so entertained by my Dog maggy.

In Hebrew, the word for dog is "kelev" which literally means "like the heart".

Its said that Hebrew words describe the essential nature of the things it describe. In this case, i cannot think of a more apt association than a dog being considered like the physical manifestation of the faculty of emotion.

What is emotion? Emotion is energetic and active. When a dog sees an object thrown infront of it, it cannot help bu chase after it. This is exactly like the 'heart' which chases after everything, if the mind doesnt hold it back.

Another quirky, metaphysical behavior of Dogs which allude to emotion, is their chasing their own tale. Over and Over again, my dog, despite being 2, still chases her own tail, not realizing its attached to her. To someone who is led by his 'heart', does he not commit the same mistakes over and over again, symbolically "chasing his tail"?

Also, with regards to the anatomy of Dogs. Their 'head' is the intellect of emotion, and the "tail" is the protuberance or 'action' which becomes separated from one after he acts. A dog chasing his tail thus indicates the stupidity of those driven by emotion to commit the same 'actions' over and over again.

I think dogs over all are great creatures. Its said in Kabbalistic thought that in the future era, dogs will be elevated to a higher 'lifeform'. I have no idea what that means, but its interesting nonetheless.

Dogs are awesome companions and a positive manifestation of emotion in dogs is their loyalty. One who is compassionate and caring will cling and hold fast to the person they care for. Dogs are a beautiful expression of this.




posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally
 

Always good to see someone honoring and expressing gratitude for our beloved companions. I got my first dog 2 years ago and she has become a wonderful part of my life, more than I had imagined. The sentience is amazing and almost psychic it seems.
It is quite interesting dogs being mentioned in a religion, that is news to me, but pretty cool.


dogs will be elevated to a higher 'lifeform'

I think here is some evidence to support that and we are just now starting to realize the depth and growth of their intelligence. I did a thread about a recent documentary where they are investigating the history of dogs, our relationships with them and their capacity for learning. It is truly an amazing piece of work, highly recommended.
Dogs Decoded

Peace,
spec
edit on 21-11-2010 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)



posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Gomer Oz Dabar is supposed to be Hebrew for either:

"Beauty, Strength, Wisdom" or "Wisdom, Strength, Beauty".

Which is it?

As one would spell "G-O-D" and the other would spell "D-O-G".



edit on 21-11-2010 by Tamahu because: edited text



posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tamahu

Gomer Oz Dabar is supposed to be Hebrew for either:

"Beauty, Strength, Wisdom" or "Wisdom Strength Beauty".

Which is it? As one would be "GOD" and the other would be "DOG".




Well my Hebrew isnt that great. I can read biblical Hebrew no problem only takes a year or two of daily 3-4 hours worth of study to get it. But Rabbinic hebrew is more complicated and im still getting the hang of it.

Oz means strength, yes. Gomer, i dont think means beauty. There are other words for beauty, like tiferet, Yafah, that are more often used. Wisdom is Hokmah. The root Dalet, Bet, Resh, is usually translated as 'word' 'to speak' or 'a thing' among other connotations

Maybe you should stop reading gnosticteachings.org. I used to read that site a while back butTheyre full of ****. especially with the way they speak of Orthodox Judaism and the Rabbis. Theres alot of hate and contempt on their part against the Rabbis (specifically in the works of Samael Aun Weor) that makes me very uncomfortable with it.

Also, i unlike so many others, have actually bothered to study the Authentic Kabbalah, according to the Hebrew sages. Im not jewish, but i find absolutely nothing wrong with it.

I actually think theres a gnostic conspiracy against the Jews. And this has materialized throughout history as the many attempts by western "christian" (in truth, gnostic) Europe to get rid of them.

Also, theres a great deal of lying and exagerration on their part. Kabbalah and Chassidut, even if you arent going to subscribe to it, is very saintly and righteous and to those who feel the need tl slander and spread hate, and misrepresent their beliefs. Id caution you to be very wary of such people.
edit on 21-11-2010 by dontreally because: (no reason given)



posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Dogs teach us so much about life if we are willing to listen and learn. I'm consistently amazed, entertained and humbled by these entities. They are incredible!




posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tamahu

Gomer Oz Dabar is supposed to be Hebrew for either:

"Beauty, Strength, Wisdom" or "Wisdom Strength Beauty".

Which is it? As one would be "GOD" and the other would be "DOG".



As for the phenomenon of Dog being G-d backwards.

I think that may be deeper than people think.

In kabbalah, G-ds essential name has the gematria of 26. When you 'double' a gematria, you get a refracted manifestation of it. So, 52, is the gematria of Kelev, dog.

In English, dog is G-d backwards.

This does not suggest what gnostics would think. that both dogs and god are two sides of the same coin. Dogs symbolize a particular attitude. What is that attitude? i think this thread has made a case that dogs are an unrectified emotional creature. YET, when mankind puts the effort in training them, they become a very lovable and cherished companion. Its a metaphor for us Humans to understand our relationship with the divine. Just as dogs are loyal to humans, so to should we be loyal to our creator, and first cause. Just as dogs can be corrected, and trained, to behave in a more controlled manner, likewise, we should correct our negative and destructive impulses to be more fitting to recieve the divine presence.

edit on 21-11-2010 by dontreally because: (no reason given)



posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Dogs teach us so much about life if we are willing to listen and learn. I'm consistently amazed, entertained and humbled by these entities. They are incredible!



Heres a pic of my dog. Shes half lab, quarter rhodesian dash hound, and a quarter Doberman

This is whne she was a puppy





posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
You have your dog for a very important reason.

You have made interesting observations about it.You need to put these observations to one side for the moment.

Its trying to show you something about yourself. The is something so similar in the nature of the of the dog that is a mirror of yourself. Its possibly so obvious its very hard to spot.

You need to look yourself. I cannot tell you anymore.
edit on 21-11-2010 by JohnySeagull because: (no reason given)



posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally
 


I cannot agree with our point. Having dog is not to teach you to be a loyal and obedient servant to God the way your dog is a loyal and obedient servant to you.

Its much more serious than this manmade religous hokum.



posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnySeagull
You have your dog for a very important reason.

You have made interesting observations about it.You need to put these observations to one side for the moment.

Its trying to show you something about yourself. The is something so similar in the nature of the of the dog that is a mirror of yourself. Its possibly so obvious its very hard to spot.

You need to look yourself. I cannot tell you anymore.
edit on 21-11-2010 by JohnySeagull because: (no reason given)


and what is this that dogs are trying to teach humans?

If its their playfulness. fine, i agree thats a positive trait, in moderation.
If its their gluttony. I would disagree, and say thats definitely a trait we should expunge from our nature.

The most pertinent spiritual aspect of a Dog is their loyalty. And i think its that loyalty which the phenomenon of G-d/dog in english and YHVH = 26, and Kelev = 52, in Hebrew is alluding. We must cling to our source, which is something other than ourselves (yes, we are not are own creators. There is a grand architect of reality) just as a dog gets up and moves everytime its owner goes up to get something. I think its cute, and innocent and a very loveable trait.

But not everything in every creature is a GOOD thing. I completely reject that libertine hippy belief, that makes humans act like animals. The good in nature, in dogs, cats, and everything can clearly be seen. And yet there are some things which our moral compass, are antenna, which connects us to a higher, more refined reality, informs us that somethings should be rejected.



posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnySeagull
reply to post by dontreally
 


I cannot agree with our point. Having dog is not to teach you to be a loyal and obedient servant to God the way your dog is a loyal and obedient servant to you.

Its much more serious than this manmade religous hokum.


how come that, isnt serious, or spiritually meaningful. Yet what you have to say is more 'deep' and important.

I already know what youre going to say "dogs are showing us that were also animals. and we have to honor are animal natures".

you can keep that pagan hokum to yourself.



posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally
 



you have completely misunderstood what I am trying to say.

it is nothing to do with what dogs can teach us.

it is exactly what your dog is trying to show you. its totally specific to you and your dog. its almost like your dog is a guide for you. you have that particular dog for a very specific reason.

sorry, i'm not very good at explaining things.



posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnySeagull
reply to post by dontreally
 



you have completely misunderstood what I am trying to say.

it is nothing to do with what dogs can teach us.

it is exactly what your dog is trying to show you. its totally specific to you and your dog. its almost like your dog is a guide for you. you have that particular dog for a very specific reason.

sorry, i'm not very good at explaining things.


Ok, sorry for making assumptions.

My dog as a spiritual guide?

I dont know about that. We all already have spiritual guides, ie; our higher selves aka "guardian angels"

However, The Jewish Midrash says that there still exists 3 forms of prophecy. Children, Insane people and Dogs. All of these creatures possess an ability to impart messages from the higher world.

So, i do agree that G-d uses dogs to cheer us up. And Dogs also have a very keen intuitive sense, yet, at other times can be just paranoid (ie; doorbell rings BARK BARK BARK..lol)... I really do think dogs have been given a special spiritual ability to connect with humans. How they impart messages though, is somewhat mysterious.



posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by dontreally

Originally posted by JohnySeagull
reply to post by dontreally
 


I cannot agree with our point. Having dog is not to teach you to be a loyal and obedient servant to God the way your dog is a loyal and obedient servant to you.

Its much more serious than this manmade religous hokum.


how come that, isnt serious, or spiritually meaningful. Yet what you have to say is more 'deep' and important.

I already know what youre going to say "dogs are showing us that were also animals. and we have to honor are animal natures".

you can keep that pagan hokum to yourself.



where did i say 'isn't serious' or 'spiritual meaningful'. its not fair when you turn my words into other new words and you are trying to speak for me,

i have no time for religions. they are full of rules and folk who think they are more powerful than other people. they preach about not judging while all the poeple who follow religion spend there whole life judging. just because I have no time for religion does not mean i am not spiritual.



posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnySeagull

Originally posted by dontreally

Originally posted by JohnySeagull
reply to post by dontreally
 


I cannot agree with our point. Having dog is not to teach you to be a loyal and obedient servant to God the way your dog is a loyal and obedient servant to you.

Its much more serious than this manmade religous hokum.


how come that, isnt serious, or spiritually meaningful. Yet what you have to say is more 'deep' and important.

I already know what youre going to say "dogs are showing us that were also animals. and we have to honor are animal natures".

you can keep that pagan hokum to yourself.



where did i say 'isn't serious' or 'spiritual meaningful'. its not fair when you turn my words into other new words and you are trying to speak for me,

i have no time for religions. they are full of rules and folk who think they are more powerful than other people. they preach about not judging while all the poeple who follow religion spend there whole life judging. just because I have no time for religion does not mean i am not spiritual.


Well, i misunderstood your earlier post, which means this post is sort of irrelevant.



posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally
 


i did not say spiritual guide.

'almost like a spiritual guide'

its just trying to show you this thing about yourself. If you manage to figure it out, its like a slap in the face when you do.

i have two dogs. so i got socked in the face twice.

have fun trying to figure it out.

peace.
edit on 21-11-2010 by JohnySeagull because: (no reason given)



posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally
 


Awesome post! I agree with your sentiments 100%!

I’ve lived with dogs all my life (presently I’m living with 2 black labs and 1 golden lab) all of whom have enriched my life immensely!

Now this is just a story, so please take from it what you will. But, the other day, I was prowling YouTube and I happened across this video where a female Shaman (whose name I’m afraid I can’t recall) was explaining how human beings have unfortunately lost touch with nature…and that at one time in our pre-pre-pre-historic past, people were actually able to communicate telepathically with all sorts of animals, plant life and so forth. (kinda like a “Garden of Eden” scenario)

And she explained, that as we developed, we humans chose a path in which separated ourselves from nature, however we were lucky enough that at least one other species came along with us for the ride. And that one species --- is of course our Canine friends; whom she suggested came alongside humans to remind us how to love unselfishly and live in the moment.
I know this story, is most likely a myth…but it really resonated with me still. Because if there’s one thing that I’ve learned from my dogs --- it’s the experience of pure love and joy!


Lol, just as I was about to hit submit…my Cat hopped on my computer with a very noisy meow…possibly to remind me that not just dogs but lol our kitty cats (and surely our other domesticated pets) are just as wonderful in their own right! But for sure there is something special about our dogs!



posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by OwenandNoelle
reply to post by dontreally
 


Awesome post! I agree with your sentiments 100%!

I’ve lived with dogs all my life (presently I’m living with 2 black labs and 1 golden lab) all of whom have enriched my life immensely!

Now this is just a story, so please take from it what you will. But, the other day, I was prowling YouTube and I happened across this video where a female Shaman (whose name I’m afraid I can’t recall) was explaining how human beings have unfortunately lost touch with nature…and that at one time in our pre-pre-pre-historic past, people were actually able to communicate telepathically with all sorts of animals, plant life and so forth. (kinda like a “Garden of Eden” scenario)

And she explained, that as we developed, we humans chose a path in which separated ourselves from nature, however we were lucky enough that at least one other species came along with us for the ride. And that one species --- is of course our Canine friends; whom she suggested came alongside humans to remind us how to love unselfishly and live in the moment.
I know this story, is most likely a myth…but it really resonated with me still. Because if there’s one thing that I’ve learned from my dogs --- it’s the experience of pure love and joy!


Lol, just as I was about to hit submit…my Cat hopped on my computer with a very noisy meow…possibly to remind me that not just dogs but lol our kitty cats (and surely our other domesticated pets) are just as wonderful in their own right! But for sure there is something special about our dogs!


As great as dogs are, and i really do love them, i still feel we should refrain from saying "pure love and joy" with regard to them

How can something be pure unless its reciprocated? Dogs are by nature, loyal creatures. The creator created them with this. As beautiful as it is, its not particularly meritorious.

However, when people learn to curb their lower, animal selfish natures to show compassion and love for others. Not THAT is "pure love and joy". Nothing good comes without effort. Whether that be the years it takes to write a novel, or a lifetime of work in ones marriage. True love comes with time, and effort, and true love can only exist between human beings and a love for the source of their existence, G-d.

The love humans have for their pets, like Dogs, is a very innocent and silly love, but i dont want to elevate it beyond more than what it objectively is. Human beings appreciating animals. And animals feeling close to the humans by virtue of their kindness towards them.

But the work, and reciprocity that one has to do, when dealing with others, is much greater, and much purer, and indeed, much harder to attain. But thats because were more sophisticated creatures with a more complicated spiritual makeup. G-d didnt make us this way so we could compete with one another. But isntead, to efface ourselves before other. To act with humility. Humility and love is like water. Its immidiately reflected in the one its shown towards. This is special, because youve overcame an obstacle.

Do you know what im trying to say here?



posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
In a way, i guess it can be compared to a love a parent has for a child. Dogs are like children, in that they simply cant fend for themelves without human guidance. They also never grow beyond respecting commands and cooling down with age.

But a parents love for a child theyve seen grown, mature and start a family of their own. I can only imagine how deep that love is. Im too yonug to know it, but i can imagine it would be enormous.

Ive been told that the greatest love a person can experience, is a love a grandparent has for a grandchild. To see their own children, have children, and to see the joy they take in them. The grandparenrs love his grandchild is enormous.

and this is very true. Many grandparents are very giving and generous with their grandchildren. I know my grandma was with me.



posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
My beast!








top topics



 
6
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join