It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Government admits: We can "withdraw" your human rights at any time!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Hi Guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Mods please move this thread if its in the incorrect forum - I did a search using a number of keywords and found no similar thread, at least not recently.

I was browsing Direct.gov.uk, the UK Government's portal, and I stumbled across this page.

www.direct.gov.uk...

The statement comes a few paragraphs in:

Rights and responsibilities as a British citizen There are a wide range of rights within the constitution, covering all aspects of life from human rights, such as freedom of speech and freedom from torture, to more specific rights such as those relating to education and healthcare, and protection from discrimination. It is important to remember that the human rights incorporated into UK law through the Human Rights Act are not all absolute. They may be limited or withdrawn under certain circumstances.

The page does not define what constitutes "certain circumstances", which means it is entirely up to Government if or when they remove your human rights, which are defined on a related Directgov page as:

our human rights are:

* the right to life
* freedom from torture and degrading treatment
* freedom from slavery and forced labour
* the right to liberty
* the right to a fair trial
* the right not to be punished for something that wasn't a crime when you did it
* the right to respect for private and family life
* freedom of thought, conscience and religion, and freedom to express your beliefs
* freedom of expression
* freedom of assembly and association
* the right to marry and to start a family
* the right not to be discriminated against in respect of these rights and freedoms
* the right to peaceful enjoyment of your property
* the right to an education
* the right to participate in free elections
* the right not to be subjected to the death penalty

This statement would not be released to the public unless they are currently implementing a policy that they can withdraw your rights at any time!

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
So, I'm assuming that they also believe that the British government gives human rights to it's citizens.
Gees, that's just not right but at least it wasn't the US government saying something stupid this time.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Mudja

You are worrying unnecessarily, my friend. The UK is signed up to the European Convention on Human Rights, and has been since 1951. It has always been the case that some convention rights can be withdrawn or limited in some circumstances. Others cannot be withdrawn or restricted ever.

What follows is an extract from a Justice guide to Human Rights in the UK, which can be found at www.justice.org.uk...

"Some rights can be qualified or restricted but others cannot.
The Convention recognises that not all rights are absolute and unconditional. Often, one
person’s rights will have to be balanced against another’s. Therefore, to ensure effective
application of human rights standards, it may be necessary, in the interests of the
community, to limit or qualify certain types of rights. However, some rights are seen as so
fundamental that they cannot be interfered with under any circumstances.
As a broad principle, in learning to identify when and how it may be appropriate to balance or
qualify rights, it is helpful to consider that there are three types of rights. These are:
1. Absolute rights, which the State must protect in all circumstances
2. Rights which can be limited, in defined circumstances
3. Rights which may be qualified, by the rights of others, or by the needs of society, but
only where it is necessary to do so
· Absolute rights must be protected in all circumstances.
Some rights are seen as so fundamental that they cannot be modified by other rights and
interests. These are absolute rights. For example, where a prisoner is subjected to serious
ill-treatment whilst in detention, or during interrogation, breach of his right not to be subject to
torture, or inhuman or degrading treatment, cannot be justified by considerations such as the
preservation of national security or the prevention of crime.
Absolute rights include the right to life, the right to freedom from torture, the right to
protection from retrospective criminal penalties and the right to freedom from forced
labour or slavery. These rights are stated very clearly in the Convention. For example,
Article 3 states simply:
“no one shall be subjected to torture or to inhuman or degrading treatment or
punishment.”
Where these rights apply, the State must respect them in all circumstances, and is not
permitted to interfere with them even where there is a war or other serious emergency.
However, there are cases where these rights will be considered simply not to apply. For
instance, the right to freedom from forced labour will not prevent the authorities from
requiring people to serve on a jury, or to undertake military service."

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
So, I'm assuming that they also believe that the British government gives human rights to it's citizens.
Gees, that's just not right but at least it wasn't the US government saying something stupid this time.

Have to agree human, human rights are given grudingly by the British Government

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman

edit on 17-11-2010 by Anam Gra because: double post

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Nonvexatious

Thank you for a informative response mate!

I must say though that the fact that the British Government links these absolute rights together with other rights that CAN be taken away even under the European Convention, means line blurring can be put into play.

Beyond rights to life, to not be tortured, and "freedom from forced
labour or slavery" solely, everything else is off the table, so to speak. The Government can lock you in an internment camp without charge, and its perfectly fine, as long as you dont get tortured or forced into hard labour? :O

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I heard France is trying to liven things up after signing the treaty with your country.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
If that's the case then every single Brit should exercise their right as a Sovereign Citizen and null their relationship and declare themselves a sovereign being living on Earth. And then take their country back and come up with a better name.....
edit on 17-11-2010 by Bonified Ween because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bonified Ween
If that's the case then every single Brit should exercise their right as a Sovereign Citizen and null their relationship and declare themselves a sovereign being living on Earth. And then take their country back and come up with a better name.....
edit on 17-11-2010 by Bonified Ween because: (no reason given)

I love ya Man!! great idea!! If it were only that simple, I would be at the head of the queue!!!

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I think we have to distinguish between citizen and human. If you accept that you are a citizen of any country then you subject yourself to it's laws which may include limiting your rights. Human rights can never be given by any body or institution in my opinion so they can never be taken away. I'm a human not a citizen. As such I reject any notion that a government can dictate my rights to me.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Apparently, these rights can be. Its there in black, white, and orange.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
So that's why Gerry Adams is running down to the Republic of Ireland

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
True citizens of Rome still enjoy the greatest rights and priveleges of any other in the Empire.

Accept no immitations or substitutions. Declare yourself part of the SPQR today. In addition to free bread and circuses, we offer coed bathing, a choice of a bare minimum of 12 Gods as opposed to just one, free cable and internet and continental breakfast.

Ask about our family packages. The first 100 callers will recieve a free slave from Britania, act now, operaters are standing by.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
What they don't mention is that the people of the UK and indeed of every nation, grant the government it's right to exist, at all. A nation does not function without the will of it's citizens. If a citizenry were to decide to end a government, they could shut down the entire country and force the hand of the government, without even using violence.

If the government doesn't recognize it's masters will, the people can dismantle it by force, even today. The armies we all fear do not exist without the people either. It's just a matter of cohesive purpose.

We in the Western World must stop accepting statements like this. Stop emboldening those that would see us restrained for their own agendas. Freedom is the natural state of life and governance is a privilege which is ALLOWED.

If we lose that understanding, we are doomed.

The system must be forced to adapt to freedom, not the other way around.

top topics

join