It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bright Star - Maitreya - UFO Video & Photos

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Catch_a_Fire
Well i rolled stellarium back to around 6pm, and using your description of it being far to the right of the moon as Jupiter is to the left of the moon, i thought it might of been Altair, but even on a clear night here Altair wouldnt appear as it does in your pics/vids. A satellite is looking more likely, next time you spot it turn on stellarium and click the satellite icon see if it shows up there, im honestly at a loss now.

Going back to 6am, 3 days ago, using stellarium puts the satellite AMSAT OSCAR 40 in the position you describe, can someone a little more savvy confirm this for me.
edit on 16/11/2010 by Catch_a_Fire because: (no reason given)

Does Stellarium track geostationary sats? I am downloading it now...tried using it once on different machine a while back, but was totally lost...

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Well i rolled stellarium back to around 6pm, and using your description of it being far to the right of the moon as Jupiter is to the left of the moon, i thought it might of been Altair, but even on a clear night here Altair wouldnt appear as it does in your pics/vids. A satellite is looking more likely, next time you spot it turn on stellarium and click the satellite icon see if it shows up there, im honestly at a loss now.

Going back to 6am, 3 days ago, using stellarium puts the satellite AMSAT OSCAR 40 in the position you describe, can someone a little more savvy confirm this for me.

This is interesting. Is there any way that we can find out if this is a particularly large or reflective Satellite because at 6am it is 3 times the brightness of Sirius, possibly more and it's also at least twice the size.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Cole DeSteele

Not sure on the geostationary sats, when you install stellarium use google earth to get your exact co-ords and enter them in stellarium, then just direct stellarium to the direction your viewing using the on screen compass markers. Youll soon get the hang of it im sure.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by solipsism

Stellarium doesnt give a magnitude for this sat, i'd imagine it could be brighter being so much closer to us. If your in Ayreshire then you would have a lot less light pollution than i get here so it would appear bright.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
OP'er....I see you have an Observatory in Glasgow

www.astro.gla.ac.uk...

and I wonder if getting touch with them may be an idea? Assuming many others have noticed what you have they must have investigated at some time. Just saying. And I hope it really is something exciting!

BTW, I only read to page 2 so if it has been debunked or explained somehow, my apologies to all . Oh, and sundry!

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Stellarium doesnt give a magnitude for this sat, i'd imagine it could be brighter being so much closer to us. If your in Ayreshire then you would have a lot less light pollution than i get here so it would appear bright.

No i live in Glasgow mainly and when I seen it at 6am it was in Glasgow. The photos from August were taken at our house in ayrshire from the back garden and yes there's very little light pollution there and on a clear night you get an amazing view of the milky way.

Is there any reason why though this satellite should be so bright when others aren't even visible? I really don't know much about satellites, their luminosity or anything else! From what I read about that actual satellite, it's a personal communications one if i recall correctly and is not that significant.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by annella
OP'er....I see you have an Observatory in Glasgow

www.astro.gla.ac.uk...

and I wonder if getting touch with them may be an idea? Assuming many others have noticed what you have they must have investigated at some time. Just saying. And I hope it really is something exciting!

BTW, I only read to page 2 so if it has been debunked or explained somehow, my apologies to all . Oh, and sundry!

that's only a 5 minute walk from my house

edit on 16-11-2010 by solipsism because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by solipsism

This is interesting. Is there any way that we can find out if this is a particularly large or reflective Satellite because at 6am it is 3 times the brightness of Sirius, possibly more and it's also at least twice the size.

The plot thickens:

On 13 December 2000 at 11:23 UTC, transmissions from AO-40 ceased during the exercising of its 400 newton motor. The Command Team were able to infer that there had been an explosion caused by pressure in the propellant pipes caused by malfunction of the control valves. A protective cap that was supposed to be removed from the motor before launch, was inadvertently left in place. When the motor was fired, pressure built up where it shouldn't, and destructive failure occurred. The loss of the motor caused AO-40 to be left in an equatorial orbit that the satellite was not designed for.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Im not too savvy on satellites as i dont have the equipment to view them, someone here might know more about them or this particular one. Here is the wiki page with info on it, no pics though sadly.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cole DeSteele

The plot thickens:

On 13 December 2000 at 11:23 UTC, transmissions from AO-40 ceased during the exercising of its 400 newton motor. The Command Team were able to infer that there had been an explosion caused by pressure in the propellant pipes caused by malfunction of the control valves. A protective cap that was supposed to be removed from the motor before launch, was inadvertently left in place. When the motor was fired, pressure built up where it shouldn't, and destructive failure occurred. The loss of the motor caused AO-40 to be left in an equatorial orbit that the satellite was not designed for.

en.wikipedia.org...

It certainly does
I have to admit that a satellite is looking like the most rational explanation so far. However if this happened in 2000, why has it suddenly became so bright and visible this year. I can't find any mention of the phenomena online before 2009. By phenomena i mean unusually bright object in the night sky mainting the same position over the course of months and months. I would assume that like now, there would have been countless online articles, forum threads along with the debunkers discussing it. And as an avid sky watcher, I know it's not been visible to my knowledge in my lifetime. However as rational explanations go, this is certainly much more plausible than saying it's one of the planets or stars.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Catch_a_Fire

No real science to it, if this bird, AO-40, is in a stationary orbit...then it pretty much hangs in place with the turning earth. Sats flare, or reflect sunlight, when the sun's rays hit it from beneath, making them visible in the dark or dusk / near dawn sky. If this object appears more to the West, and it is visible at dusk, then it would reflect more sunlight in the early evening to 10ish or so...not so much in the early am, as the sun is rising from the east.

If OP's object is appearing in the east...and visible as early as 6:00pm...then we must be talking about something else altogether....

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Not to pound the point, but this bird is disabled, and unable to correct it's orbit at all. It is possible and likely that it has drifted significantly through the years...may only becoming visible in 2009...

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   

No real science to it, if this bird, AO-40, is in a stationary orbit...then it pretty much hangs in place with the turning earth. Sats flare, or reflect sunlight, when the sun's rays hit it from beneath, making them visible in the dark or dusk / near dawn sky. If this object appears more to the West, and it is visible at dusk, then it would reflect more sunlight in the early evening to 10ish or so...not so much in the early am, as the sun is rising from the east.

If OP's object is appearing in the east...and visible as early as 6:00pm...then we must be talking about something else altogether....

The object is always in the eastern sky. It never changes location. I begin to see it from about 7pm this time of year. The only difference between 7pm and 6am is that at 6am it seems to be lower down on the horizon.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Where we're located the moon comes from east to west, this object as stated by the OP is to the far right of the moon, so it is in the west and clearly visible in the AM, i think thats right lol. So could it be this?.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Where we're located the moon comes from east to west, this object as stated by the OP is to the far right of the moon, so it is in the west and clearly visible in the AM, i think thats right lol. So could it be this?.

far right of the moon, that's on our left hand side. Can i just ask, what is the OP?

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
if you're still up at around 6am and it's clear, do as I suggested and pan around 90 degrees to your left from Sirius and you should see it.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   

far right of the moon, that's on our left hand side. Can i just ask, what is the OP?

OP = Original Post/er

Can you clear something up for me, if you were looking north to the top of scotland what side would this object be visible, im thinking we're getting our bearings crossed.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Wait, I'm confused. I actually have seen orbiting birds lit up like Christmas in the West near dawn myself. I would think a stationary one in the west would be brighter in early evening. Now i'm not so sure about that. All I know about sat flare/ reflection is what I see round here, so could be either way I'll concede.

Wish I had a map that showed where this bird is in the sky right now.

I think we're closing in on this either way...either that's it or we rule it out. Maybe you guys have better view tomorrow night wihout clouds.

will check in then...

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   

OP = Original Post/er

Can you clear something up for me, if you were looking north to the top of scotland what side would this object be visible, im thinking we're getting our bearings crossed.

If I was facing north, then this object would be on my right hand side.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Wait, I'm confused. I actually have seen orbiting birds lit up like Christmas in the West near dawn myself. I would think a stationary one in the west would be brighter in early evening. Now i'm not so sure about that. All I know about sat flare/ reflection is what I see round here, so could be either way I'll concede.

Wish I had a map that showed where this bird is in the sky right now.

I think we're closing in on this either way...either that's it or we rule it out. Maybe you guys have better view tomorrow night wihout clouds.

will check in then...

I would say this is pretty bright throughout the evening, the only reason it appears to be brighter in the morning is that the moon is gone and therefore it seems bigger because the moon is no longer there to reference it to.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join