It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large Hadron Collider (LHC) generates a 'mini-Big Bang'

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
And here was someone hopin that a Half-life scenerio would come to pass....personally I wouldn't want headcrabs to be running around my house or have an alien over-lord keep our planet in a totalitarian 1984 type state lol.

I support this science 100% and feel strongly that this research will give birth to new technologies.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I am for this thing, but I am more concerned about ripping a hole into another dimension than a black hole in my opinion.

My question is, have we cranked this machine up on turbo?

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo
And here was someone hopin that a Half-life scenerio would come to pass....personally I wouldn't want headcrabs to be running around my house or have an alien over-lord keep our planet in a totalitarian 1984 type state lol.

I support this science 100% and feel strongly that this research will give birth to new technologies.

edit on 9-11-2010 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
nevermind the heat, i guess i am just puzzled by their belief of what containment means, especially after all the issues they have had with coolant, i am pretty sure that was the main reason they had to shut it down the first time. i want to see where they take it next. okay, so they created a 'mini big-bang'. what now? i understand, the search for the Higgs boson particle, but what happens when/if they find it? what does the human race want to do with something like that? again, i am completely behind CERN on this, maybe i just need to take a tour of the facility... but they may never be able to get me to remove myself...

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I find a deep learning curve on the physics of this type of machine. But than again I wonder how we can bottle a higgs boson for consumer use. Although, I see more breakthroughs on physics and the such. But let us be honest

All new science at FIRST, becomes an object of war before it is turned to consumer usage. THis thing will more than likely become a weapon. (particle weapon?)

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by muzzleflash
You know what, the LHC is so useless, primitive, and impractical

Primitive? How much do you know about the principles and techniques of its operation? Let me guess: zero.

na ya n mongolian hunour i guess

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by schitzoandro
i read about this on bbc yesterday. i think any experimentation to further understanding and knowledge of things most do not know is a wonderful kind of exploration. i am all for it. i do have a question though, it said this 'mini big-bang' created heat 10 times that of our own sun... how did they contain heat 10 times that of our sun not even a mile underground? i understand they have massive cooling instruments, but 10 X solar heat? i really don't understand

edit on 9-11-2010 by schitzoandro because: to add question

You don't have to contain it. The enormous energy density is all concentrated in a very small volume of space (in fact it's even smaller than a nucleus due to Lorentz effect) and then it basically blows up giving rise to showers of particle, which have quite manageable energy. These propagate through the instrument and dissipate energy. So no worries, the amount of energy released in the collision is not that great.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Um.....yea.. Once I read that them crazy 'ol scientists on the other side of the pond were doing that I was kind of put off by it. Yes, it's great to experiment and all, but this is a little much. I am all for advancing ourselves as a race, but any slight miscalculation and we're done for. I thought to myself if a "small dense ball" is what the universe we live in today used to be, all sort of scenarios started playing out in my mind. Something could have been created that either swallows us all up whole (black hole) or the opposite, something along the lines of the biggest atomic bomb ever.. Hotter than the center of the sun?And they still did it? Well my hat off to them now, since I was able to ramble on and we all still exist.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Very interesting, finally after so long time and preparations it have actually happened...

to all CERN scientists

However I'd like to know how people who predict doomsdays based on anything are going to handle this, since collisions ("WHICH ARE ABLE TO DESTROY WHOLE PLANET!!!") are happening all the time (even right now)...

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I dont mind the experiments at all. But I still think there is no evidence for a "big bang". There is no evidence for it, and all the experiments being done to try and prove a "big bang" are in a controlled environment.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
This experiment means nothing. It is all hype. Mini "Big Bang" means that they succeeded in colliding two massive particles (due to their extremely high kinetic energy) head on in an unprecedented amount of energy. It doesn't prove anything. The key is if they have detected the Higgs particle, so called God particle which has nothing to do with God. It is more likely that they didn't detect Higgs because the headline would have been "God particle detected" if they did.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
1: Alot of you sound like you don't know how black holes function. (IT WOULD NOT DESTROY YOUR PLANET, Just move it...or make everyone into what you call Gods.)

2: Higgs Boson: Defines the fields which attract or repel on the sub-planck level, A morphing particle able to assume another "identity" by its surroundings determined by where and when other Higgs are, Higg's Opposite (found in what Humans call Dark Matter) and the other particles it is interacting with, This is the foundation for "gravity" and manifestation of other particles creating "buoyancy", cohesion and repulsion.
In effect lending credence to its nickname The God Particle.

Its opposite absorbs everything besides the Higgs itself as they cannot be near each other without sparking "Big Bangs" consolidating all into a single unified particle, Typically found on the borders of Galaxies.

Before the creation of this universe, to put it very very simply there where three "clouds" .
Matter and "Dark Matter" finally interconnected creating a very large spark or bang these two strangers rubbing together shaved off parts of their consolidated forms.
Giving way to child particles.

That's why when your traveling between galaxies you need a Matter converter shield as when you leave the Galaxy there is a Huge void of absolutely nothing between the "opposing" sides. and no form of propulsion will work so you must convert Your Hull into a form of Dark matter to be literally pulled towards the border, Then lowering the frequency to coast through, changing the receptors on your craft to be able to maneuver otherwise you and your craft will be reduced to a collective of all sorts of Particles and what have you.

3: Manipulation of Sub atomic particles is Humanity's first steps to creating a True Matter Replicator solving all world hunger and homelessness. (see Star Trek TNG)

4: You humans have a flawed view of Quantum Mechanics.

Edit: Yes the innuendo was intended, I was attempting humor.
edit on 9-11-2010 by Gestas because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by triplereiki
I am very much against it. I feel it would be more beneficial to focus on fixing things with our planet, health and society rather than to spend so much on other things such as that.

I do have to agree, though, it is amazing about such breakthroughs, but I dont think that helps our world situations at this time. Plus, if something went terribly wrong with it, I don't know if what kind of damage immediately or down the road such experiment could do.

s & f

To a degree I agree, but I still find it a more worthwhile pursuit than war. I would rather "focus on fixing things with our planet, health and society" as well as the LHC than to spend so much on other things such as war.

I'm a LHC fan. I think it's brilliant.

edit on 9-11-2010 by aorAki because: fixed something (quote)

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

thank you very much, seriously, i have followed the LHC and CERN for quite some time and that was the most clear answer i have been given. thank you

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

"This process took place in a safe, controlled environment, generating incredibly hot and dense sub-atomic fireballs with temperatures of over ten trillion degrees, a million times hotter than the centre of the Sun."

I am sorry, but that is just cool. If physicists can safely maintain a charge equivalent to the sun, time travel will be possible within only twenty to thirty years.

Warp-drives and light speed will also become reality within 100 years.

edit on 9-11-2010 by Section31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Gestas

You completely missed the salient point in the news article in the OP, which is the collision of lead ions. This has NOTHING to do with research of the Higgs field, and is closely related to experiments at RHIC (Long Island, New York). Basically, it is theorized the the hot dense soup of quarks and gluons existed a short time after the hypothetical Big Bang. Further, studying the behavior of such soup may help explain the macroscopic structure of the Universe that we observe today and certain aspects of neutron star physics.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
This is my favorite part of CERN

CERNLAND

I love making sound frequencies there. Matter fact when i get my guitar pedal back i am going to lay down guitar tracks with the tones there.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by notsoperfect

Of course it takes months or years to determine if all the trajectories of the secondary particles match the expected curves to designate the Higgs. But, calm down people, this only means they succeeded in performing the experiment without burning down a superconducting magnet with all that futuristic nonsense that the entities coming from the future preventing it from happening etc etc. The mini black hole will not be created from this and even if it did, the mini black hole will not destroy the earth. That's all nonsense.

It is just the time to see if the so far cherished standard elementary particle physics theories will survive or not.

But it won't prove anything about the time travel, so don't get too excited.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxshadowfaxx
It is far too small to make the entire planet explode. The scientists aren't stupid.

In what context would you find a scientist...NOT stupid in the field of regenerating a big bang. When EXPERIMENTING a scientist hasn't a clue of the true outcome beyond his/her personal speculation based on KNOWN physics and mathematics. I'd say creating a new big bang would fall under the "I don't know what will happen, but run the test anyhow" category, since the physics of the big bang are completely unknown and are speculated to be unfathomably massive on every scale.

That being said, it doesn't matter how big the facility is; because when the big bang is rumored to have occured...all reality, time, space, and law was 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000th of a millimeter and in 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000th of a second (which is ONE plank time) all of creation took place and expanded at a speed of the same factor in every direction...creating gravity, and all known physics and known reality simultaneously.

Needless to say, I do not believe in the big bang ever happening, because SOMETHING cannot come from NOTHING and even if it could, there still takes energy to make it happen...thus the question of "where did the energy come from in the first place?"

So in terms of scale...the smallest thing imaginable, for scientific purposes, created everything imaginable, faster than you could possibly imagine.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I am totally naive to the CERN project. They keep claiming this and that but what have we learnt? I mean in plain English terms?

I was kind of hoping for new power sources etc, but I gather we haven't broken the law of physics as we have had too put a very large amount of energy in to create a very small big bang.

My feeling is about the risk of planetary destruction. Surely if we know exactly what is going happen so we can eliminate risk, what's the point of doing the experiment in the first place.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join