It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large Hadron Collider (LHC) generates a 'mini-Big Bang'

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gestas
1: Alot of you sound like you don't know how black holes function. (IT WOULD NOT DESTROY YOUR PLANET, Just move it...or make everyone into what you call Gods.)

Could you please enlighten us as to how THAT would come about, either of those two scenarios, thank you mr knowitall.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Buddahsystem, I hope you see this post. I know you're/were involved with the L.C.H so I'm just wondering if you could explain in as simple terms as possible how this machine contains the energy for something so many millions of times hotter than our Sun? Is it because the area of heat generated is massively microscopic or something?

Thanks.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neo-Dark

Originally posted by zcflint05
I love the people who say that "we shouldn't be doing this, it's not worth the risk!"

1)The risk is NOT large, if at all existent. This has been confirmed by multiple independent panels of experts, these panels were created specifically for the reason of studying the LHC's safety risk.

And I love the people who can say with such certainty the LHC is perfectly safe. It really is quite amazing how some humans think they are all knowing gods on things they really have a 0.000000000000000000000000001% understanding of...any REAL scientist would understand the experiments carried out by the LHC are not fail safe, and not everything can be predicted, especially when creating with things like big-bag type conditions. You really think something like that will DEFINITELY have no undesirable outcomes? Come on now...any one with a brain can see there is a degree of risk involved here. These "experts" and people who apparently "know what they are doing", are trying to dig into the heart of reality and ultimately discover how the universe was created...so please enlighten me as to how they can already be sure what will happen? Why are they looking at all if they are so god damn smart...

The reason for the experiment is precisely because they don't know what exists at those higher energies. One thing they do know (which many posters here clearly haven't a clue about) is that the energies in the collider and volume of collisions is insignificant to the energies and volumes occurring at the edge of our atmosphere...............and we are still here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sheeesh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hawkwind.

Buddahsystem, I hope you see this post. I know you're/were involved with the L.C.H so I'm just wondering if you could explain in as simple terms as possible how this machine contains the energy for something so many millions of times hotter than our Sun? Is it because the area of heat generated is massively microscopic or something?.

Actually, yes, as I commented earlier. It's not some kind of gigantic furnace at all these insane temperatures. The hot matter is created very briefly in a volume smaller that that of a single nucleus -- of course multiple reactions are happening as beams keep colliding, but each microscopic fireball is that that -- microscopic.

Imaging that you are soldering, and due to abrupt movement of a soldering iron there is sputter flying in all directions. In spite of liquid solder being very hot, you won't get burned much if a tiny drop (smaller than a pin-head) will land on your cheek.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Thanks for the reply.

I see the LHC like a journey into the unknown, it's exciting and I bet there'll be some amazing pyschedelic discoveries made through it. It's going to open up a multitude of new questions as well as answers.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
From my understanding, the entire purpose of the LHC was for this very experiment. They hoped that by recreating the events of the big bang, they might be able to locate the Higgs Boson. Since they aren't yet reporting the discovery of the Higgs Boson, we can only assume they didn't find it.

However, if they DID find it, and aren't reporting it, then it is even more fantastic than we previously thought.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I can't help it I got spooked over these experiments and the ones to come over the course of the next couple of years when they crank it right up to full power (possibility of mini-black holes), and I just can't shake my discomfort. That said I'm glad there were no unintended consequences from this experiment.

I noticed on a schedule somewhere, although it did not give specific dates, that the entire month of November was blocked off for these lead ion experiments. Are they done now, or are there more..?

P.S. As an aside: Why do so many people around here have ah "dark-ish" looking avatars..? Is everyone some sort of rebellious hellchild on the verge of breaking out into full fleded demonic fury? JK, sort of..
edit on 9-11-2010 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Neo-Dark

I IMAGINE that the fact that independent panels of scientists have studied the LHC and said it was FINE are good enough for me. And honestly, if the risk was 0.000001 percent that for some insane reason we would create a black hole that would swallow the solar system--oh well. Sorry, there's a 0.000001 percent chance that tonight I will become a billionaire, but is that going to happen? No.

These people are extremely smart--smarter than you and I could ever dream of being. I don't imagine that they would just go dancing with armageddon. There are plenty of other things that we do DAILY, like driving, flying, or taking medication, that are 10 times more risky than the LHC. Are you telling me that I should go cower in my apartment for the rest of my life because riding in a car might kill me?

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrinchNoMore
I find some wonderment at how they can measure such temperatures, and what materials they are using to contain this all, since its so much hotter than even the sun.

Im no physicist bu the plasma is guided and prevented from touching the sides of the tube by intense magnetic fields generated by supercooled super conductors.
fusion experiments ( likethe "tokamak" ) use the same idea. to contain the superhot reaction.

www.plasma.inpe.br...
edit on 9-11-2010 by 46ACE because: screwed up,.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I tend to think the idea of finding the "God Particle" is what scares the religious fanatics that don't want us doing that the most. The idea that our universe was created by something scientific is terrifying to the religious nuts who are bleating on and on about black holes, singularities, etc. There is not ONE scientific study done on this machine that would ever come close to indicating that a black hole or singularity would ever be created--why do people who have never studied physics in a academic fashion think that they suddenly know more about the inner workings of our universe than people who have devoted their entire life to the study of the universe?

The bottom line is--this information will greatly expand our thinking and confirm our views on the creation, evolution, and eventual death of our planet and universe. If we do not study these things, and ways to get off of our planet, then we are dooming ourselves to inevitable death as a race.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
heres asnapshot of one o fthe lead ion events. now they have to sit down and account for every particle they captured figure out its energy and mass and see if it all adds up correctly ( according to the standard model) If the numbers don't add up they gottafigure out where the energy went. Smart buggers...

www.uslhc.us...
edit on 9-11-2010 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by zcflint05

No that's not it. For me it has something to do with a certain obsession the physics seem to have with the idea of an arrow of time, entropy, and finding the absolute simplicity at the very end of complexity ie: a death obsession. I have no problem with science whatsoever, myself.

But do I completely trust these people, who felt it appropriate to place a large statue of Shiva at the entrance to their facility? Not entirely.

Save the bashing please, it's not neccessary.

P.S. There are a number of very accomplished physicists who DO think that there's a grave risk involved. If there is ANY risk, it's not worth it.
edit on 9-11-2010 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a lot of people here think that what we learn from the LHC will be revolutionary but how can we be sure what they really find out with the LHC about the universe will be shared with the world?

i don't think the LHC has the power to blow up and destroy the world, but i do think that what is learned there has the power to destroy our beliefs and the way societies operate and that would be a lot more dangerous than a physical explosion.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

I'm not sure how I feel about it...I like progress...but then again I don't like people messing with stuff they don't completely understand.

What are people's thoughts on this...for it...against it? Suprised it didn't blow us all up?

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 8-11-2010 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

If people didn't mess with stuff that they don't understand there would be no progress...

I am all for the LHC if the knowledge that is gained is put to good use and shared we can learn a lot and i think some amazing tech will come from this.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Question - for the more astute physics buffs among us:

Are there not hypothetical deep-space objects, like nutron stars the the like, capable of shedding light (or darkness) on the very same questions the physicists wish to pose to matter and it's formation, and destruction, which would not require creating the conditions of creation and destruction of matter here on earth?

Also, is it theoretically possible for these experiments at the LHC to produce up, down and strange quarks (squarks) capable of forming stable dark matter?

Thank you.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
So they created this "mini big bang"...and look at that...we are all still here...aren't we?

Yeah, we are still here, but only after the LHC caused the entire universe to crash, and then was repaired from the ground up, debugged, and rebooted by God. Or thats the rumor at least

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   

What was I suppose to use a bunch scientific jargon and
say that I love LHC? By the way we both can agree
vibrators are awesome.
If they are looking for the God particle who's to say they aren't looking
for demons, portals, etc?

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Buddhasystem, a question please. If you've already answered it I apologize. I tried to read every page, but my puppy stepped on the Enter key at an inopportune moment.

So-- a tiny Big Bang (hmm... oxymoron!) -- How on earth can they really be sure it doesn't take on a 'life of its own,' continue to expand, just like the big Big Bang?! Can anybody in the world state definitively that there is no chance of that happening? There's obviously no empirical data to go on, this being uncharted territory and all. I'm not a gloom-n-doomer, but it'd be a cryin shame if the biggest lesson they from these experiments was... "Oh Sheeeeet!!!"

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Teeky

That is just the kind of thing that Jack Parsons, founder of NASA, and Allistair Crowley, father of Barbara Bush, were into.. ? So who the hell knows if there isn't an Occult connection to the founding of CERN and the building of the LHC.

Sorry for going way off tangent.. !

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

Originally posted by Gestas
1: Alot of you sound like you don't know how black holes function. (IT WOULD NOT DESTROY YOUR PLANET, Just move it...or make everyone into what you call Gods.)

Could you please enlighten us as to how THAT would come about, either of those two scenarios, thank you mr knowitall.

I'll second this and add some questions

I think hes forgeting we need the sun to come with us and stay at its exact distance for us to stay alive afterwards, hell we could even come out a few inches from a sun somewhere or nowhere near a sun at all if we could make it out the other end in one peice,

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join