It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large Hadron Collider (LHC) generates a 'mini-Big Bang'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Large Hadron Collider (LHC) generates a 'mini-Big Bang'

www.bbc.co.uk

The Large Hadron Collider has successfully created a "mini-Big Bang" by smashing together lead ions instead of protons.

The scientists working at the enormous machine on Franco-Swiss border achieved the unique conditions on 7 November.

The experiment created temperatures a million times hotter than the centre of the Sun
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 8-11-2010 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I guess whether you support the work being done at the LHC or not...it is still pretty cool stuff.

So they created this "mini big bang"...and look at that...we are all still here...aren't we?

I'm not sure how I feel about it...I like progress...but then again I don't like people messing with stuff they don't completely understand.

What are people's thoughts on this...for it...against it? Suprised it didn't blow us all up?

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 8-11-2010 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I am very much against it. I feel it would be more beneficial to focus on fixing things with our planet, health and society rather than to spend so much on other things such as that.

I do have to agree, though, it is amazing about such breakthroughs, but I dont think that helps our world situations at this time. Plus, if something went terribly wrong with it, I don't know if what kind of damage immediately or down the road such experiment could do.

s & f

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I am 100% for the LHC. There is nothing sinister about it. It's science. In a worst case scenario, if an experiment went horribly wrong, the LHC and area it is in, would explode. It is far too small to make the entire planet explode. The scientists aren't stupid. They know what they are doing. If the LHC was really dangerous to the planet, they would not do it. They wouldn't even be allowed to do it. All this fear about the LHC is unfounded. I really hope they can get a better understand about the universe and the god particle and so on. The LHC is the one and only thing on this planet, that can explain how life began. And that is certainly one question that has been on my mind since I was a kid.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Im for it. As long as as many precautions are in place as possible, i dont see any way we can carry on without these experiments. The status-quo cannot remain the same, we will overpopulate and expend our natural resources before long. I firmly believe we need to expand our knowledge of the universe and how basic particle physics work if we are ever to overcome some of the basic problems faceing mankind.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by xxshadowfaxx

The LHC is the one and only thing on this planet, that can explain how life began.

What has the LHC research in common with the beginning of life?
Maybe universe, but not life.

+13 more 
link   
wouldnt it be kinda freaky, if our own universe was in a supercollider somewhere...that something is watching our progress???

link   
I hope something happens like from the game, Half Life.

That would be awesome. lol.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxshadowfaxx
I am 100% for the LHC. There is nothing sinister about it. It's science. In a worst case scenario, if an experiment went horribly wrong, the LHC and area it is in, would explode. It is far too small to make the entire planet explode. The scientists aren't stupid. They know what they are doing. If the LHC was really dangerous to the planet, they would not do it. They wouldn't even be allowed to do it. All this fear about the LHC is unfounded. I really hope they can get a better understand about the universe and the god particle and so on. The LHC is the one and only thing on this planet, that can explain how life began. And that is certainly one question that has been on my mind since I was a kid.

Interesting...I have not heard this point of view before. Why do you think that the LHC is going to explain how "life" began???

Also...where do you get your info that the LHC could "explode"? I have never heard that opinion before...just that it could accidently do other more dangerous things like create things that are out of their control.

I don't think anyone thinks the scientists are stupid...but I do think they are arrogant if they believe they know everything. If they knew everything this experiment was going to do...they wouldn't need to do the experiment. Something unexpected could happen...and that is where people get worried.

Do I think the LHC is going to destroy the planet...probably not...and even if it did...nothing I can do about it really.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
wouldnt it be kinda freaky, if our own universe was in a supercollider somewhere...that something is watching our progress???

Such a thought scares me and blows my mind at the same time.

As for me, I'm definitely for it. The discoveries they make could possibly advance our understanding of so many different things that it's mind boggling. They could end up discovering that they were right / wrong about a whole host of theories, uncovering new data and leading us on technological paths that we possibly wouldn't have dreamed of had the LHC not existed.

Personally, I was hoping for black holes but hey, what can you do?

link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
I can do about it really.

You can make another thread....
Warning people

link   

Warning people

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420

Warning people

Warning people about what?

I have no knowledge of anything.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by xxshadowfaxx

I just wanted to point out that this:

They know what they are doing. If the LHC was really dangerous to the planet, they would not do it. They wouldn't even be allowed to do it. All this fear about the LHC is unfounded.

...Is fairly naive and generally false. Look at the Manhattan Project. While it didn't blow up the world, they didn't know exactly what it would do... and then the other obvious detractor is that the technology has basically been used to put humanity on the brink.

I'm not sure where I stand regarding LHC, but nonetheless I am relieved to still be here.

I do think they are missing the general paradigmatic framework that will really be necessary in order to fully benefit/understand what exactly they are doing.

So theoretical physics is still game!

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

Life started from inanimate objects.

There, I said it.

The cat is out of the bag.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I am all for this IF it could lead to new energy technology or something practical that all people can benefit from...Not that I have any right to complain either way, but with all the time and money going in to things like this it would be great if it could bring about something real that people could use to feed their families... A cheap or practically free energy system could lead to that... But I'm sure some powermongers would try to put a stop to that quick...

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

So they created this "mini big bang"...and look at that...we are all still here...aren't we?

What are people's thoughts on this...for it...against it? Suprised it didn't blow us all up?
I like the way they put "mini big bang" in quotes because I think it was nothing like the big bang, not even a mini version, it's a high energy collision though and it's interesting for that reason.

Originally posted by xxshadowfaxx
In a worst case scenario, if an experiment went horribly wrong, the LHC and area it is in, would explode. It is far too small to make the entire planet explode.
No, an explosion wasn't the worst case scenario, it was more like an implosion, though that term isn't accurate either. This was the worst case scenario discussed, the black hole swallows up the whole planet, nothing explodes:

It wouldn't surprise me if the LHC does create a mini-black hole, but scientists say the probabilities are if that happens it will be very short lived, less than a second. But the scientists I heard talking about it didn't use the word impossible, just so very improbable to get a longer lasting mini-black hole like the one in the video. I'm not to worried about it because there ate higher energy particles coming from space than we are generating in the LHC and they haven't destroyed the planet yet. But I don't think many of them are lead, so the lead ion collisions are a little unusual.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by beebs
...Is fairly naive and generally false. Look at the Manhattan Project. While it didn't blow up the world, they didn't know exactly what it would do...

Incorrect.

They were fairly certain about self-sustaining fission process, and were able to calibrate their calculations to experimental data, good work there by Fermi and others. One part of the project was to create a bomb, and again they were able to implement a fairly sophisticated detonation mechanism by compression of plutonium. That just doesn't happen in a "what if" manner. These guys nailed it down cold.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by beebs
...Is fairly naive and generally false. Look at the Manhattan Project. While it didn't blow up the world, they didn't know exactly what it would do...

Incorrect.

They were fairly certain about self-sustaining fission process, and were able to calibrate their calculations to experimental data, good work there by Fermi and others. One part of the project was to create a bomb, and again they were able to implement a fairly sophisticated detonation mechanism by compression of plutonium. That just doesn't happen in a "what if" manner. These guys nailed it down cold.

Was there not a concern that the bomb might ignite the atmosphere ? From what I remember the chances were quiet slim but they were still there (it was even mentioned in some documentation that went to Washington before the testing ) . So I would call that a gamble , would You not ?
edit on 8/11/10 by Thill because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join