It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large Hadron Collider (LHC) generates a 'mini-Big Bang'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I find some wonderment at how they can measure such temperatures, and what materials they are using to contain this all, since its so much hotter than even the sun.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by GrinchNoMore

Yeah, I can't wrap my brain around that one either, GrinchNoMore!
Geez, wouldn't it burn straight thru even the core of the Earth?

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Incorrect.

They were fairly certain about self-sustaining fission process, and were able to calibrate their calculations to experimental data, good work there by Fermi and others. One part of the project was to create a bomb, and again they were able to implement a fairly sophisticated detonation mechanism by compression of plutonium. That just doesn't happen in a "what if" manner. These guys nailed it down cold.

I think the "fairly certain" part does it for me.
Men in white coats worry me and I wish they would stop trying to tamper with nature so much.
We don't need what they may find THAT bad as to risk even a 1 in 1000000000000000000000000000000 chance of something bad happening..

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I have many problems with this whole experiment. First of all, no one knows 100% what happened in the 'begining'. It's called the Big Bang THEORY for a reason. It's a theory not a proven fact. How can you say either way that you "recreated" something that you don't fully know happened in the first place?
Secondly, I don't care if this is coming from scientists. Scientists are human, no matter how well trained, or intelligent they are. And humans make mistakes. That's why it's a bit frightening to me.
It sounds great on paper, but when you're messing around with something that produces heat a MILLION times hotter than the center of the SUN, that's really scary stuff.
A few questions I have now:
How did they contain that amount of heat? How were they able to measure that?
and, where do they go from here?

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ACTS 2:38

The general consensus was that the bomb would yield energy equivalent to 5,000 tons of TNT (the actual result as it was finally calculated was 21,000 tons). Robert Oppenheimer, the director of the Manhattan Project, had bet ten dollars against scientist George Kistiakowsky’s wager, with his entire month’s pay, that the bomb would not work at all. Enrico Fermi offered a wager on “whether or not the bomb would ignite the atmosphere, and if so, whether it would merely destroy New Mexico or destroy the world.”

So the general concensus was off by 400% but heck, thats acceptable???
I'll repeat..Men in white coats worry me.
They are more dangerous than any single dictator.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by new_here

It is an april fools joke ! The article is quite funny and the date is April the 1st. Reputable papper with "happy 1st of April readers!" written at the end.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Link:

The Tech Herald

Here's a snippet...

CERN admits black hole ripped in space by Large Hadron Collider

A spokesperson for the European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN) has confirmed the fears of many in the scientific world after revealing that the reason for the sudden closure of the Large Hadron Collider, the world's most expensive physics experiment, was not due to "technical problems" as previously stated, but because its controversial particle collisions have sensationally rendered a "tiny black hole" in the fabric of space. "I can confirm that, yes, the first stages of the experiment resulted in the appearance of a miniscule black hole," said the spokesperson to gathered reporters on Monday. "The black hole is being kept under quarantine and our scientists have been monitoring its progression," he explained.

...hehehe check date man...April 01...April fools

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
A million times hotter then the center of the sun? Scientists put out information like this, then they expect us to believe what they tell us, what a joke. what is that, like a million megaton nucler explosion?

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
hmm interesting but I don't trust anything coming from the Illuminati and for whatever reason I smell the Illuminati being involved in this. They are NOT up to any good, whatever "discovery" they obtain from this "experiment"is for their own benefit, not ours, as a matter of fact something very bad could come out of this and it could be used against us. Don't be so naive, they don't give three [SNIP] about science or mankind, they just playing with fire, they want to be God and use whatever is in their power to destroy mankind and reduce the world's population. I will not submit to this.
edit on 9-11-2010 by latinoprince because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

edit on 9-11-2010 by Gemwolf because: Removed Censor circumvention

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
You know what, the LHC is so useless, primitive, and impractical; and in the truest sense a huge massive waste of money - at a time when people are facing starvation and mass poverty in every nation on Earth.

It just seems like a huge smoke and mirrors effect.

Similar to NASA in a odd sense.

They drain all this funding, and in reality only use a small portion of it.

The rest must go to black ops. Something useful, practical, important, and worth the money.

I just am skeptical and cannot believe that all of these so called "intelligent" scientists and government officials and military heads wouldn't go straight for something a bit more useful. Like another weapon, security, or defense system.

So call me a skeptic of the LHC. A mirage? Smoke screen? Business as usual with the shadow govt...

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   

The scientists aren't stupid. They know what they are doing. If the LHC was really dangerous to the planet, they would not do it.

Are these not the same type of people that created the atomic bomb? and almost everything else that is destructive?

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrinchNoMore
I find some wonderment at how they can measure such temperatures, and what materials they are using to contain this all, since its so much hotter than even the sun.

It's not the materials, it is the huge magnetic field that keeps the particles and their heat from touching the walls of the collider. look at the huge coils around the segments. They are for generating that monstrous magnetic field.

Would that magnetic field fail, then a large burn and consecutive expensive kabooms will be the net result. Particles would immediately lose any momentum, because the magnets are what accellerates them to those sub-lightspeeds.

Measuring temperatures is done by measuring the light coming from the whizzing particles. This can be done externally.

At least, that is what I understood from the explanation of the boffins working at the LHC.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by pscysm

Particles with more energy that a plasma at over 10 trillion degrees are hitting the Earth? That doesn't sound right to me, I'm happy to be proven wrong though.

Cosmic rays can have energies of up to 10^20 eV, while LHC protons have just 10^13 eV.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Physics is not my strong point by a long way but....

Dont know where I heard this but apparently if this was done with Gold particles rather than lead its supposed to generate enough energy to power the US for a year. No idea how they can measure something that has never been done.

Is that plausible?

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by pscysm
Particles with more energy that a plasma at over 10 trillion degrees are hitting the Earth? That doesn't sound right to me, I'm happy to be proven wrong though.
Hey it comes right from the LHC website so you can debate it with CERN if you think it's not true:

The safety of the LHC

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) can achieve an energy that no other particle accelerators have reached before, but Nature routinely produces higher energies in cosmic-ray collisions. Concerns about the safety of whatever may be created in such high-energy particle collisions have been addressed for many years.,,,

Cosmic rays

The LHC, like other particle accelerators, recreates the natural phenomena of cosmic rays under controlled laboratory conditions, enabling them to be studied in more detail. Cosmic rays are particles produced in outer space, some of which are accelerated to energies far exceeding those of the LHC. The energy and the rate at which they reach the Earth’s atmosphere have been measured in experiments for some 70 years. Over the past billions of years, Nature has already generated on Earth as many collisions as about a million LHC experiments – and the planet still exists.
So CERN admits on their own website that the LHC energies don't even come close to the highest energy particles from space.

They also have a section on microscopic black holes, if you're curious.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
This thread shows how many people follow science..

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I would like to thank CERN for their breaking science.

And just a shout out to all of those mis-informed .........people out there
that said that the world was going to be destroyed by the work...

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Chill the hell out people.. You realize they were only making this "mini big bang" for like 1/1000th of a second right? It was just a flash of intense energy and molten matter which they will study and search for the higgs boson (god particle). as well as perform other tests to learn a bit more about how particles work. It's not like the LHC is the only machine like that either.. The Superconducting Super Collider should have done these tests years ago but the US decided it wasn't worth investing more money into the project once it was almost ready. Which meant they had to move the thing out of the ground and half way across the globe lol.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucifer84

They said it could possibly be used as a source of power at some point but right now it takes more energy than it can produce.. It's not like they can harness the power of a small universe or even create one.. It only lasts a small fraction of a second so if it doesn't produce more energy than the collider consumes smashing the atoms it isn't really possible at this point in time.

By "they" I meant the people who built the super collider not CERN..
edit on 9-11-2010 by kronnikx because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Its very cool indeed. I personally dont get concerned until they start to collide more destructive element particals. Generating temps that much hotter then the Sun is amazing. Would be nice to see ALL the REAL data and EXPERIMENTS.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join