It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans signal a hard-line stance after election success

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   

A post-mortem Sunday of the mid-term elections provided little evidence that Democrats and Republicans will work together to address major issues such as deficit reduction any better than they have in recent years.

Republicans interviewed on talk shows promised congressional investigations, an all-out effort to repeal health care reform, and steadfast opposition to any form of higher taxes.

Democrats, meanwhile, said the losses they suffered in the congressional elections reflected voter dissatisfaction with lingering high unemployment in the slow recovery from economic recession, rather than an outright repudiation of their policies.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.cnn.com...

No room for compromise eh? Well, I for one hope that the Democrats lead by example and work with the GOP to come up with reasonable bi partisan solutions that benefit the country as a whole. I think that it would be in the Dems best interest to not be obstructionist when it comes to things that the GOP wants to do.

That way in the next election, the American people will see exactly who has their best interests at heart when it comes to legislation and the Left will win back the house and Obama will get elected again.

The GOP for the last two years was the party of NO and they tried to block everything they could without compromise, to do the same, the Dems would be putting off real independent voters who have had enough with the way that Washington works. From this article it would appear that the GOP is going to go back to business as usual in Washington and we will have a repeat of 1994 all over again including a government shut down.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
look Obama has spit in the faces of the republicans mocking them now he wants an olive branch of peace because his side lost the house waaaaa. The health care aka Obama care was just one time that he forced them to try and agree saying he didn't need their vote. He also filed a lawsuit against a state which is under his care AZ for making a law which is already enforced on American public so he gave special treatment to illegal Aliens. He didn't do anything with the gulf oil spill except give a frowny face and wave his finger.Face it he isn't a good president and i dont think anyone needs another 4 years of his bs to prove it

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I had a hope that just maybe the Tea Party Republicans could change something but already they have Sen. Jim DeMint meeting with the big bankers to create regulations which they favor. I can already see exactly what is happening. Someone better alert the Tea Partiers that they have bought into a lie.

Mr. Carlisle said in 1878 that this was a struggle between the idle holders of idle capital and the struggling masses who produce the wealth and pay the taxes of the country; and my friends, it is simply a question that we shall decide upon which side shall the Democratic Party fight. Upon the side of the idle holders of idle capital, or upon the side of the struggling masses? That is the question that the party must answer first; and then it must be answered by each individual hereafter. The sympathies of the Democratic Party, as described by the platform, are on the side of the struggling masses, who have ever been the foundation of the Democratic Party.

There are two ideas of government. There are those who believe that if you just legislate to make the well-to-do prosperous, that their prosperity will leak through on those below. The Democratic idea has been that if you legislate to make the masses prosperous their prosperity will find its way up and through every class that rests upon it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Not one party or politicians are left for the people of the United States who are not the elite. America has been bought out and sold out. Basically it’s over and we have been had, there is no one here to defend us anymore. There is no one here even willing to let us just have our Constitutional rights, it’s over and we have been destroyed. Face it, we are now serfs and shall be until the enslaved peasants finally awaken from their slumber.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I would love to see cooperation coming from both sides of the aisle on Capitol Hill. The hard line stance from both sides isn't going to cut it with those who turned out in massive numbers last week. The people want to see action and SOME Democrats and Obama have to realize that the policies did in fact play a major role in the outcome of the election. The sooner they can grip that the better for the entire nation. Obama blaming his poor leadership and communication skills for the major upset does not cut it. It merely illuminates his ignorance to a new level. I find that rather disturbing!!

Republicans are going to hold strong in order to pull back on these poor policy decisions. They have to! I guarantee that they will gain more support from democrats as the actions to scale back actually move forward.

Obama and his die hards are going to have to lead the way with concessions if we are ever going to achieve harmony again. It all rolls downhill folks. I long for the political climate of the Reagan years when they could all duke it out on the Hill during the day and then tell some jokes over a beer and a scotch in the evening.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
American politics has boiled down to nothing more than a comedy of errors. The only thing that will be passed is to allow more corporate control, more regulations on small business, higher taxes hidden in the form of some BS
subsidies for big oil, big agri, big pharma, banking, new and expanded wars etc. The hand of complete Fascism is about to close around the neck of everyone thanks to the GOP/TPM and their slavish worship of the puppet masters.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Reply to post by whatukno

I do not agree. The parties should never cross the aisle, unless there is a very good compromise. Congress should vote what their constituency tells them to.

There is no need to rush headlong into anything.

And no, I am not a Republican, though I am a Conservative.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
See, I am thinking purely of strategic political value here, if the Democrats want to turn this into their advantage, they will have to compromise on issues with the GOP. The GOP's hard line stance here can be used against them.

Issues can be resolved in a bi partisan way and for the GOP to take a no compromise stance can be used against them. When the GOP comes out with a bill that will benefit only corporate interests instead of the American People's interest, the Democrats can use that to their advantage by exposing it to the people.

I think the game changer here would be the Democrats exposing the GOP and right wing lobby groups during this next legislative cycle.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by pcrobotwolf

Yeah.. I'm not much for right vs. left.

But Obama did essentially say "F U" To republicans over the past two years.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

Actually, Obama has tried to work with the GOP often the last two years, but the GOP has stonewalled any effort at bipartisanship. The POTUS should have told the GOP to take a jump in a lake. But now, I think that he should work with Republicans in order to make them look bad.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

He really hasn't tried to work with them at all. He took almost no suggestions that the GOP mentioned when putting together the health care bill, rejected the one thing the republicans begged for (torte reform) that would have actually REFORMED health care and driven down costs and insisted that health-care be mandatory despite people screaming at Town meetings, Republicans boycotting the bill, and a congressional rating that would make Hitler look popular.

I say he... I really mean they Nancy and Obama.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
reply to post by Miraj

Actually, Obama has tried to work with the GOP often the last two years, but the GOP has stonewalled any effort at bipartisanship. The POTUS should have told the GOP to take a jump in a lake. But now, I think that he should work with Republicans in order to make them look bad.

More classic partisanship.

Forget?

edit on 16-11-2010 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
"No room for compromise eh? Well, I for one hope that the Democrats lead by example and work with the GOP to come up with reasonable bi partisan solutions that benefit the country as a whole."

LMAO.. suuuuuure.

If "hope" for political change were horses, the delusional would ride..
edit on 16-11-2010 by GovtFlu because: incomplete sentence

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   

See, I am thinking purely of strategic political value here, if the Democrats want to turn this into their advantage, they will have to compromise on issues with the GOP. The GOP's hard line stance here can be used against them.

Republicans and / or democrats don't have to do anything but wait for the other party to become unpopular while driving the so called PTB / shadowy overlord / military industrial CIA complex/ etc agenda..

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Obama and the Democrats have already compromised on many, many issues that the Republicans want. The health care reform that was eventually passed would not allow a public option and served to enrich big pharma and the insurance companies even more, as per the demands of the right. In the end, after getting many things that they wanted into the bill, Republicans refused to vote for it anyway

Can't you see by now that the Republicans will allow NO compromise? That's what they have been doing since the president was elected. They do not want to work with the Democrats in any way, shape or form. They will respond to Democratic efforts to reach across the aisle as they always do -- obscure, object and reject anything at all that the president or the Dems propose.

The only objective of the Republican party is to defeat Obama in the next election and return the country to the "good old days" of President Bush and absolute Republican control of all branches of government.

A better strategy for Obama would be to resist being so wishy-washy and lily-livered toward the opposition party and fight for his agenda now that the Dems still have some power in Congress. There is no way in hell that they will be able to accomplish a single thing they want after a Republican victory.

As it is, he is losing all Republican support and also his base that elected him. Nobody will be satisfied if he continues down this path.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

Yes you are correct, that Obama and the Dems have tried to work with the GOP, the problem is, they haven't sold that to the public, they haven't made it known to the public well enough that they have been working with the GOP.

They need better salesmen to show the public that they are trying to work with the opposition and trying to include GOP ideas into policy. That's been Obama's worst failing so far, is the lack of real salesmanship.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
the repubs are going to be spending all their time investigatating Obama and his administration...that and how they can defund any benefits that regular people now recieve from the government. welcome to the "third-worlding" of america. all of you unemployed and future unemployed better get your tents and begger buckets ready. the wealthy are moving in for the kill.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
All we're doing is whittling with the back side of the knife - we aren't changing much of anything so far. But, it is a bit hasty to reach any conclusions yet. The new congress has yet to take their seats.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
I would love to see cooperation coming from both sides of the aisle on Capitol Hill. The hard line stance from both sides isn't going to cut it with those who turned out in massive numbers last week. The people want to see action and SOME Democrats and Obama have to realize that the policies did in fact play a major role in the outcome of the election. The sooner they can grip that the better for the entire nation. Obama blaming his poor leadership and communication skills for the major upset does not cut it. It merely illuminates his ignorance to a new level. I find that rather disturbing!!

Republicans are going to hold strong in order to pull back on these poor policy decisions. They have to! I guarantee that they will gain more support from democrats as the actions to scale back actually move forward.

Obama and his die hards are going to have to lead the way with concessions if we are ever going to achieve harmony again. It all rolls downhill folks. I long for the political climate of the Reagan years when they could all duke it out on the Hill during the day and then tell some jokes over a beer and a scotch in the evening.

Please, what will it take for you to see these are ALL criminals....have you already forgotten what the Republicans did under Bush? The Patriot Act??? Lied about WMD - wars in Iraq, Afghanistan? The BAILOUT?

How can you possibly still believe these guys are all anything but mafia out to take down America?

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by GovtFlu

Republicans and / or democrats don't have to do anything but wait for the other party to become unpopular while driving the so called PTB / shadowy overlord / military industrial CIA complex/ etc agenda..

I know, it's insane that people still believe they are doing anything else. WHAT will it take for people to wake up?

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

I know, it's insane that people still believe they are doing anything else. WHAT will it take for people to wake up?

If history is any guide - a lot. Often they put up with it to the bitterest of ends. Perhaps this time will be different. I give it about a 2% chance.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join