It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Depression is NOT a Real Disorder

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Situational depression can be cured in 90% of cases if you can decide not to care about the situation. Or if you can rationalize it.
Clinical depression I haven't experienced.
However I have experienced psychosis, it sucks! You think people are after you all the time and that people are talking about you. After awhile I was able to rationalize and the voices pretty much disappeared. I still here the odd negative chatter but I don't care.

Suicide is very serious and shouldn't be handled by forum people. samaritans.org helped me, they are available 24-7 and reply lightning quick via email.
edit on 7-11-2010 by Timeblock because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-11-2010 by Timeblock because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Its all mind over matter. Whether people want to admit it or not, its you who makes it all. And its their denial of their own power (will) that makes them weak.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Yes, it can be a rough time of year. I will bottom out the latter part of January and into February. Then I will just try and hold on until spring.
Seeashrink

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Megagrogan

Yep, I mix a teabag of St. John's Wort with a bag of chamomile and it really mellow me out.

They also have St. John's Wort in capsule form too and it does work, taking just a couple will really elavate your mood.

Did you know that herbs are the foundation of our medicines.

Lavendar is also calming and soothing. just a few drops of real Lavendar oil (I get mine from Lost Mountain Lavander) in the bath can do wonders.

I've started lavendar plants in my side yard so we'll see next year how that goes.
edit on 7-11-2010 by ofhumandescent because: grammar

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by NeverApologize

You know what works for me? As a side effect of my 30mg of OxyContin for Pelvic and Testicular Pain; Oxy is also very effective in getting rid of depression! This is not an endorsement to do this though.

Thanx for the tip...it happened the other way around for me! LOL

I got great PAIN relief (car accident hip injury) as a side effect of one of my ANTI-DEPRESSANT meds, `Cymbalta` when my Doctor added it to my Wellbutrin...even though the analgesic effect is listed as being effective for `Diabetic Neropathy`.

Go figure!..but hey, I`m not arguing...it is helping me stay out of a wheelchair.

My friends don`t understand why I don`t use one, but I have the sense that if I do, I won`t get back out of one.

Although, I must admit, I have finally given in & now use the motorized one in the grocery store as it got to where it was taking me four hours...even with the help of leaning on the grocery cart!

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Jonas86

Have you ever suffered from severe clinical drpression?

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by PETROLCOIN

Veeeeeery sorry, but I feel even chemical imbalances with the mind can be taken control of without drugs. Your thoughts are still your own. What are you claiming here, your mind gets a mind of its own? Those thoughts of suicide aren't generated by "you"? Are they your thoughts or not? Is someone else sticking thoughts into your head, are the chemicals generating their own thoughts? No...those thoughts are expressions of your own consciousness. You feel trapped and unable to escape, but what are you trying to escape? Are you a prisoner to even your own mind and your own thoughts? That's basically what you are claiming here...without drugs you have no control over your mind and even your own thoughts, and I seriously will never, ever, agree with that.

edit on 7-11-2010 by Neo-Dark because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by lawlb0t
Its all mind over matter. Whether people want to admit it or not, its you who makes it all. And its their denial of their own power (will) that makes them weak.

Simply put, you are naive and ignorant of the subject. I'm almost embarrassed for you.
Seeashrink

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by stars15k

There's the lack of appetite due to depression.

Then there's the denial of eating due to lack of self-esteem.

The latter of which is not a disease.

Eating disorders require differential diagnosis.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I call mental illness "brain disease". A genetic predisposition is exactly that, a predisposition towards a familial disease. Heart attacks run in certain families, strokes run in other families, cancer runs in other families, as does thyroid disease, or asthma. It doesn't mean you are fated to get the same thing as a relative, but that you should protect yourself from system weaknesses that run in your family. It isn't just serotonin. As I said in my first post, some experts claim the first expression of insomnia are often the first symptoms that will eventually manifest as depression. The role of serotonin re-uptake inhibitors is not to reduce the overproduction of serotonin, but to make sure the serotonin bound up in the brain tissue surrounding the synapse gets across the synapse. Re-uptake means exactly that. The serotonin does not get across the synapse and go to its' intended location, but re-uptakes into the surrounding brain tissue. It's an inhibitor, so it inhibits this action. Stress is a good thing for humans, but too much stress in a chronic fashion causes further changes in brain chemistry. The latest drugs for depression are selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors (SSRI), but also selective norepinepherin re-uptake inhibitors. Cortisol overproduction does play a big part in depression and diabetes as well. Serotonin is not the neurotransmitter of feeling good, that's dopamine. There are some theories that part of the reason some get depressed and self-medicate is because their brain doesn't produce enough dopamine. That's why the dual diagnosis of depression and substance abuse is so common. Most of what I've read about dual diagnosis isn't written by sufferers, so they get it backwards (IMO), that the addiction causes the depression, when these people are trying to get their dopamine levels up so they feel good like those who don't have dopamine production problems. Sure, behavioral problems are part of this picture, negative thinking, misperception, and anger problems, but it's really the chicken AND the egg, not the chicken or the egg.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Depression is a Serious Disorder and it can be Brought on by multiple ways the Big 3 Triggers are
1 a Major Tragedy in life
2 a Bad Abusive Upbringing
3 Genetic Disorder Depressive

Personally I Would think Depression is Genetic !
Well the one's that are more easily to be Emotional
Everyone(Humans) has the Gene it like Everyone Has the Cancer Gene's
Just finding the right Button's to Activate Those Gene's

Depression can be Violent or Comatose state or Both

Bipolar
health.google.com...

Here a Site to Look at

All About Depression.com
www.allaboutdepression.com...

Genetic Trigger of Depression Identified: Potential Target for Novel Class of Therapeutic Agents
Science Daily (Oct. 18, 2010)
www.sciencedaily.com...

Genetic Link to Depression
By Rick Nauert PhD Senior News Editor
Reviewed by John M. Grohol, Psy.D. on October 18, 2010
psychcentral.com...

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by PETROLCOIN

heh, you don't see into roots of problem, you just have repeated over & over "chemical imbalance"
& be sure of medical treatment to overcome depression is worst method among possible: doses only shall increase as well & depressive dips shall be deeper & deeper. if you really want to break through that sh!t -- make yourself to do physical work(running, swimming..), brain work(learn foreign langs, math...). only through activity with hard work, anyone can effectively fight versus depression. oh, Yeah!!!!! first steps suck like Hell, make depression worse
in Russia quite many morons who treat it with another antidepressant, vodka
in short, you have two ways: to feel sorry of yourself with "chemical imbalance" & medical "treatment" or to really overcome your problemus

-------------
My the best wishes.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Neo-Dark

If you agree that depression is a chemical imbalance of the brain, should be able to be controlled by that same mind.

Does that mean folks with diabetes should be able to cure that by thoughts? They are both chemical imbalances, aren't they?

What about thyroid disease. That's a chemical imbalance. Just tell those folks they can cure it with a change of a thought.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by lawlb0t

To some degree I agree with you - on other levels I'd debate that.

While I do personally agree that the power of the individual does indeed come into play...and more around perhaps not so much the eradication of any *symptomology* but rather the formation of personal resilience, of workable 'coping techniques' and methods with which the individual lives - and not only lives but flourishs within those experiences.

Yes certainly that can and does require a bit of a shift in consciousness, direct involvement and exerting ones own personal power (call it force of will or whatever) in regards to whatever the issue may be.

That said - for some the *starting point* shall we say isn't at all in line with other people. Meaning: Some people by the nature of what they experience could in some way be seen as almost being a few steps behind the starting line that everyone else is lined up upon.
Be that starting-point shifted via chemical imbalance, physical, emotional, social, spiritual, trauma, upbringing, whatever...
Doesn't negate that the person can still triumph over whatever adversity they are dealt within their own hand of cards...just means perhaps the personal investiment, empowerment and nouse required to *play* the cards they are dealt may require a bit more than others might.

I do agree that ultimately a persons experience boils down to them.
How they interpret, how they make sense of, how they live and breathe through it.
That however I am at pains to add does not in any way negate the very real struggle and pain - and time and learning that inevitably requires.

I do not however agree that simply because someone is say on *A* step of ones recovery they are in any way less than or weaker than someone who may be on step *B* or *C* or *X,Y,Z*

Recovery is a VERY personal journey...by the very nature that experiences are wholly personalised. Sometimes you need to go to step *B* then step *F* then return to step *D* and so forth and so forth.
We ALL learn, we ALL live in our own unique ways...so too our own paths are unique...so really its not overly beneficial to judge someones path of recovery or compare their path against our own or anyone elses.
To do so can merely increase the guilt, increase the stigma, within that person.

Something I also believe strongly is:
Noone can disempower us but ourselves. So too noone can empower us but ourselves.

BUT, others can help or they can hinder that process through their own words and works towards and with us.

Theres an old saying: When we know better we do better.

Theres a fair amount of truth in that. Many people tend to do what they know, how they know it.
So I guess the challenge for us all is to firstly accept where someone may be in their own lives without condemnation or beration...and then to be present and offer whatever assistance we can.
Sure - we may be unable to walk a persons journey for them...but we can offer them water when they are thirsty, we can off them rest when they are tired...most importantly we can offer them belief and hope when perhaps their own in themselves is failing.

Peace.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SarK0Y

Are you speaking from personal experiences? Or just, um. thoughts?

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SeventhSeal

Have you actually READ the thread? For a second line, how much have you read ?

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day

Depression is very real due to observable changes in body chemistry.

Now, things like Anorexia and Bulimia might really be BS.

Sarcasm . . . I get it!

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by deadred

Are you a trained, board-certified psychiatrist, or perhaps a Neurobiologist; faith healer,acupuncture practitioner, or have diagnostic experience yourself? I believe you have a right to your opinion, and my opinion, is that you can call depression whatever you want. It doesn't change the facts.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by bertapearl

yes, it's my own experience & experience of persons i have known
my health is too far from Ideal, many times in my life, i was very close to Death. & not too far so far

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I think depression shouldn't be called "depression", because people who don't deal with it must completely misunderstand what is going on. It's not people sitting around feeling sorry for themselves. Sometimes it manifests itself into physical pain, for instance. And as others have stated, it can occur when your life is at its best.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join