It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geologists are Warning of a Mega Eruption of Merapi

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
This is right in line with the November 6th-11th predictions that something big is coming.... web bot, time wave, baba vanga... all talk about this week. Perhaps a massive eruption, the likes of which we haven't witnessed is coming? That would definitely be an earth-changing event based on the OP's post.

Kinda strange that Obama will be in that area around the same time too...

S&F! Good find OP....

~Namaste

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
one more picture from 2h ago;

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
This doesn't have to be doom and gloom stuff for the whole world, but volcanoes and tsunami's... I really feel for Indonesians. I have never seen volcanoes or felt an earthquake and i probably never will and they live with it daily. This isn't a supervolcano warning i guess, but i hope measures are taken to help those people. I admire them, almost every generation has to rebuild the village and they wont give up.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher
Well if this sucker blows its top in a massive explosion then it will be biblical. I find it hard to think anything could have been louder than the Krakatoa eruption as that one made people deaf from the explosion and also caused a huge tidal wave.

Yup, Krakatoa is considered the loudest noise on earth in recorded history. There were reports of the sound from 3000 miles away. en.wikipedia.org...

Originally posted by cosmicpixie
reply to post by wisintel

Awesome pic. I read today that the flow travels at around 60 mph. Does anyone know how far the flows actually travel ? I mean how long are these rivers of magma, how far do they extend typically ?. Imagine seeing it happen, it must be terrifying

It depends on the molecular structure of the lava. Felsic lavas are silicate-rich and have a chain-type molecular structure, which tangle up and create a viscous, slower lava. Felsics are generally produced from crustal rock melting, which is where the vast majority of earth's silicate rich rocks reside.

Felsic (or silicic) lavas such as rhyolite and dacite typically form lava spines, lava domes or "coulees" (which are thick, short lavas) and are associated with pyroclastic (fragmental) deposits. Most Silicic lava flows are extremely viscous, and typically fragment as they extrude, producing blocky autobreccias. The high viscosity and strength are the result of their chemistry, which is high in silica, aluminium, potassium, sodium, and calcium, forming a polymerized liquid rich in feldspar and quartz, which thus has a higher viscosity than other magma types. Felsic magmas can erupt at temperatures as low as 650 to 750 °C. Unusually hot (>950 °C) rhyolite lavas, however, may flow for distances of many tens of kilometres, such as in the Snake River Plain of the northwestern United States.
en.wikipedia.org...

Mafic lavas are rich in iron and magnesium, with a molecular structure that does not tangle. Mafic lavas originate in the mantle, and are typical of the composition of inner earth rock. Mafic lavas flow smoothly and freely, the easiest example would be Hawaii's volcanic eruptions.

Mafic or basaltic lavas are typified by their high ferromagnesian content, and generally erupt at temperatures in excess of 950 °C. Basaltic magma is high in iron and magnesium, and has relatively lower aluminium and silica, which taken together reduces the degree of polymerization within the melt. Owing to the higher temperatures, viscosities can be relatively low, although still thousands of times more viscous than water. The low degree of polymerization and high temperature favors chemical diffusion, so it is common to see large, well-formed phenocrysts within mafic lavas. Basalt lavas tend to produce low-profile shield volcanoes or "flood basalt fields", because the fluidal lava flows for long distances from the vent. The thickness of a basalt lava, particularly on a low slope, may be much greater than the thickness of the moving lava flow at any one time, because basalt lavas may "inflate" by supply of lava beneath a solidified crust. Most basalt lavas are of ʻAʻā or pāhoehoe types, rather than block lavas. Underwater they can form "pillow lavas", which are rather similar to entrail-type pahoehoe lavas on land.
en.wikipedia.org...

Unfortunately, that region is noted for a history of Plinian and Ultra Plinian eruptions...the two most violent and explosive types. If it goes, it won't just shoot glowing lava in the sky that runs to the sea. It will explode into the atmosphere, doing all the nasty stuff we are afraid of.

Plinian eruptions (or Vesuvian) are a type of volcanic eruption, named for the historical AD 79 eruption of Mount Vesuvius that buried the Roman towns of Pompeii and Herculaneum, and specifically for its chronicler Pliny the Younger.[28] The process powering Plinian eruptions starts in the magma chamber, where dissolved volatile gases are stored in the magma. The gases vesiculate and accumulate as they rise through the magma conduit. These bubbles agglutinate and once they reach a certain size (about 75% of the total volume of the magma conduit) they explode. The narrow confines of the conduit force the gases and associated magma up, forming an eruptive column. Eruption velocity is controlled by the gas contents of the column, and low-strength surface rocks commonly crack under the pressure of the eruption, forming a flared outgoing structure that pushes the gases even faster.[29] These massive eruptive columns are the distinctive feature of a Plinian eruption, and reach up 2 to 45 km (1 to 28 mi) into the atmosphere. The densest part of the plume, directly above the volcano, is driven internally by gas expansion. As it reaches higher into the air the plume expands and becomes less dense, convection and thermal expansion of volcanic ash drive it even further up into the stratosphere. At the top of the plume, powerful prevailing winds drive the plume in a direction away from the volcano.[29]
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by CastleMadeOfSand

lol

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Don't know if anyone's mentioned it, but if it will lead to a cooling, could it be a self-regulating mechanism from the planet, or just a large coincidence?

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
hmmm...

Well, if this thing will erupt tomorrow.... then al the predictions about something big could be right after all...

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I know I have watched for the signs of the Beginning myself and from the things I have been shown and told over my lifetime things have slowly evolved.

As I was told by these Beings is..... what happens has to happen the way it does this is the only way they can help the Human Race from the Extinction Level event that is going to occur here on this Planet. They have been here and doing what they can to help but we as a race look at things differently because we don't understand. When they had this big thing about UFO's over Nuclear Weapon locations we see this as bad and maybe invasion when they are letting us know they can shut down all this when the event happens so this Planet isn't destroyed.

First, I watch for several volcanoes to erupt at the same time to me this is the Beginning many disasters of course will occur in time as the quakes proceed----- new fissures will open in areas that would never be expected the Earth is in the process of birthing and flipping. When I see two large connecting quakes off Brazil out to the Central mid-Atlantic Ridge I know the flip isn't far off weeks to months at best. The largest quake ever recorded will be known by the P-WAVE the disaster will cover over 23 Countries in the hump of Africa also Portugal,Spain Italy maybe some of France and England going out to the Northern Mid-Atlantic Ridge this is what causes the flip/tilt.....huge Tsunamis never before imagined will occur but ships will fly in... tilt on there sides and hold the water at bey. When the Earth begins to tilt all the ships will fly in the opposite direction (I believe clock wise) you will see them as brilliant white lights.... the ground will vibrate and you will be able to feel the magnetism under your feet.

These are things I have been shown that will happen in my lifetime, I don't say this is the Beginning yet but if you can get over saying I am scaremongering you I am telling you of things to observe in the coming times so you can make dicisions you think best for yourself and your families.

All I know is all that is happening needs to happen the way it is so the Human Race and creatures do not go extinct.

They say even though we are considered a stupid species thoughout the Universe we do have intelligence and even though there is badness here they know there is more goodness and a Race worth saving we are evolving slower then they expected but we are evolving.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
"This phenomenon is known as global cooling." I guess this is Mother Natures way of ending Global Warming...

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Xadaz

I vote large coincidence. The forces at work to bring magma to the surface and push to the surface take thousands of years. Liquid rock under pressure doesn't flow like anything you might think of. In fact liquid rock is misleading, most of the upper mantle is semi-solid to solid. A large magma reserve has to melt through the asthenosphere and lithosphere to reach the surface. Granted at this location the lithosphere is much thinner, it still takes a long time.
edit on 5-11-2010 by blamethegreys because: I forgot to "reply" to the right guy

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by observe50
The largest quake ever recorded will be known by the P-WAVE the disaster will cover over 23 Countries in the hump of Africa also Portugal,Spain Italy maybe some of France and England going out to the Northern Mid-Atlantic Ridge this is what causes the flip/tilt...

P-Waves aren't the ones that do the damage. Nor the S waves. It's the Love waves and Raleigh waves that tear it up. On a seismograph recording, the P waves start first, and are the smaller readings preceding the big spikes. Not saying you contacts don't know what they are talking about, but if they are gonna put it out there, they may want the right nomeclature for credibility.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
They say when Merapi blows that hard ther must be over a half million people be evacuated from the city Yogyakarta. Is this dum or dumber, when she blows then is it to late to move the people??? Why do they move them now for sure. Must ther die more people????? Move these poor souls now! I hope she's not blowing at all.
Source is from the German site: www.spiegel.de...
I read very wel German But translating is a diffecult task!!!

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Tell me that doesn't look like a face.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

i was thinking exactly the same when looking at the pics
looks quite scary

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
AND, then there is Lake Toba!! en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

Great find.
S&F

Merapi does bear watching - along with Grimsvotn (sp?) and maybe Yellowstone. Not to mention all those pesky earthquakes that are now considered perfectly "normal." Overall, this planet we're on seems to be a bit twitchy of late...

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I know the P-WAVE they say you will know by "this P-WAVE" this isn't going to be like anything ever known before.

Mid Atlantic Ridge that's what needs to be watched magnetic anomilities.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Well, there are only 2 months left until 2010 ends. If the worldwide earthquake that was predicted in the mid-1990s to happen in 2010 is going to happen, there are only two months left to wait.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by whywhynot

I highly doubt Toba will go again in our lifetime, BUT, if it did, it would be the most devastating geological event in modern history. When it exploded first it spewed 2800 km cubed of ejecta, and was the most powerful volcanic eruption since the Fish canyon tuff one. And Toba's explosion 70000 years ago was the 16th most powerful explosive volcanic eruption in the history of the Earth.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Perhaps this will be nature's way of putting a stop to chemtrails. Mother Earth and Father Sky will only take so much - same as the people will also onlly take so much! Perhaps it's time for the people to erupt too!

edit on 5-11-2010 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join