It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geologists are Warning of a Mega Eruption of Merapi

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElevenFlint
reply to post by SerialLurker

How is it even possible with such a technology existing on this planet people still to stay unaware of incoming disasters? Can you even imagine this?!

If I, being on another continent, am aware enough to take hundreds of screendumps of the volcano's webcam prior to its outburst hoping to capture it go kaboom, I bet the locals are aware of it much more. What makes you assume they are not .

This baby is gearing up for a while now. It's not like falling out of the sky ya know.

Here’s a thread going on for some weeks on Merapi gearing up.

Merapi thread

edit on 6/11/10 by D.Wolf because: linky correction

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
It has again erupted killing quite a few reports are awaited all Air Space In Malacca Straits have Issued a warning to Airlines.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by kykweer

yes, you're right.
Most of the television channels here are showing most updated status all the time for these kind of events. Some even have the Live broadcast to explain the real-time situation for us Indonesians to understand the condition. So, we would prepare for forthcoming expectation.
edit on 6/11/2010 by spystalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

Hi cosmicpixie! I don't know how far inland Merapi's lava will flow, probably to the sea and make more land mass, nothing can withstand the flow as you can probably imagine. I never was much of a doomsday enthusiast but I must say that the earth events of late especially volcanoes is a little unnerving to me. These things have tremendous power to alter the climate rapidly as history can readily attest. There seems to be allot of activity, I think I counted five major volcanoes that are erupting in Indonesia and Iceland it's as though these things are waking up all at once. Thanks, good post and take care.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
this is some scary # ,i'm glad that evacuation did good generally

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
We are not getting anything on the news here about the Merapi

Just one question, while some geologist are warning for a 'mega' erruption... should this happen, is it comparable to the krakatau eruption? Because if I recall correctly, the Krakatau sank into the sea after that... can that happen to an island like Java? (sorry if that is a stupid question but i'm really wondering)
I also just read that since the start of this month a total of 19 volcano's in the area went to high allert status, certain areas are cleared and no tourism or mountain climbing is allowed... is that a normal thing for that area or are things really heating up more then usual?

edit on 6/11/2010 by GypsK because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
He's a news clip in Canada.

www.cbc.ca...

International airlines cancelled flights into Indonesia's capital Saturday after a volcano hundreds of kilometres to the east unleashed its most powerful eruption in a century, incinerating villagers as they fled a searing gas cloud.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by segurelha

Thanks for posting this information..Its hard to fathom the size of these things...

so..to add some lines..

St. Helens was like...XXXXX

and..

Yellowstone was like....XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

if somebody wants to count the Xs it would be fine...I didnt..but I just woke up and the coffee hasnt kicked in..just thought somebody would smile or flame me

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by bargoose

There is no book of the bible called "revelations". Why does everybody get that wrong? It's Revelation.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by paearmor

Lake Toba is like xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonOfTheLawOfOne
Kinda strange that Obama will be in that area around the same time too...

Maybe Indonesian capital is the safest place in the world. Maybe.. somehow... and someone knew.

How about Japan eh? Nobody talks about Japan, or South America.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by kykweer
reply to post by paearmor

Lake Toba is like xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I don't think the XXs are a good way to size them. Toba was enormous compared to anything we know today.

Some googling came up with:
Volcano sizes

Mt. St. Helens was a 0.2 cubic mile eruption
Krakatoa was 4.3 cubic miles or 22 times Helens.
Toba was approximately 670 cubic miles - "only" 75,000 years ago - 3350 times Mt. St. Helens (10 years of volcanic winter afterwards - no wonder most humans died off)
The first Yellowstone was about the same at 600 cubic miles, the later one 250 cubuc miles

The large one at the bottom "Columbia, Washington" at 24,000 cubic miles - that's like throwing the state of Florida 1/2 mile deep up into the atmosphere.
edit on 6-11-2010 by bonaire because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by css1981
hmmm...

Well, if this thing will erupt tomorrow.... then al the predictions about something big could be right after all...

What predictions? A CARTOON prediction? Because apparently, the makers of the Simpsons have insider info on the timetable of exploding volcanoes?

This is a big enough story.. you don't need to add goofy / fearmongering angles to it.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

you lost me here.. where did the simpsons come into this? There have been a gazzilion prediction threads on the board of late and have never seen the Simpsons mentioned in them...

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

Try this one

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
If any mega eruptions occur, it will cool this planet significantly and if we get a few to pop, it will cause an ice age. Then all the frauds that said we had to pay carbon taxes to Al Gore and the rest of his new world order shills will be BEGGING for some REAL global warming to get us out of an ICE AGE! That's what you people that bought into the global warming fraud forgot. The sun and volcanic activity have a FAR greater impact than what man can do. Ice ages have been caused by mega eruptions and asteroid impacts since the beginning of the Earth's history.

That being said, we still need to get off the oil economy scam and bring out the Tesla Zero Point energy that the US government has been hiding for 50 years. That would eventually eliminate all pollution on the planet and give every human access to very low cost food, water, power and transportation. Tesla zero point energy would get us through any of these possible ice ages. This is the sad reality that most of you don't know because you only believe what is on the brainwashing device called TV. We've all literally had our Star Trek like future stolen by the new world order! Keep spreading the word about it so we can get our rightful future back and tear down their matrix of lies.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by D.Wolf

If I, being on another continent, am aware enough to take hundreds of screendumps of the volcano's webcam prior to its outburst hoping to capture it go kaboom, I bet the locals are aware of it much more. What makes you assume they are not .

Merapi thread

edit on 6/11/10 by D.Wolf because: linky correction

How many were killed by the Tsunamis? Tell me that these guys just love adventures and they were aware of the incoming disaster but just chose to stay and gamble with their lives. Its very easy to watch it on youtube afterwards and say that you are aware of what's going on. Both times - 2004 and now the media said that people were not evacuated on time because of a "system failure".

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
latest reports are 138 dead.

news.scotsman.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
If this happens we are screwed. Think about urban life... we need constant supply of everything and without food growing we are done for.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ElevenFlint

How many were killed by the Tsunamis? Tell me that these guys just love adventures and they were aware of the incoming disaster but just chose to stay and gamble with their lives. Its very easy to watch it on youtube afterwards and say that you are aware of what's going on. Both times - 2004 and now the media said that people were not evacuated on time because of a "system failure".

You are posting in a thread about the volcano Merapi. You never specified tsunamis so I assumed that you were on topic.

btw: For me to watch the merapi vid on youtube afterwards, I had to collect 700 pics from the non self\refreshing webcam pointed at the volcano and put them in a timelaps on youtube in the first place. That's not something I would do without some awareness that there is a substantial change something might happen withing a short timeframe. It turned out I had to stop recording a few hours before the action realy began. That's just my luck.

Though my still tinkling wrist doesn't agree, I wish the cam was still up so I could complete my Merapi timelaps trilogy. But I'm afraid that's not gonna happen.

better luck next volcano. Shame I cant find a cam on krakatoa.

It's awesome!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join