It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geologists are Warning of a Mega Eruption of Merapi

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by sunspot0

omg what a magnificent photo......one of the reasons i love nature.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Someone else has likely posted this, didn't see it thou.

Appears 21 other volcanoes are increasing in activity,
bad news if just even a few of them erupt.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Looks like Obama is not going to be staying around as long as planned:

news.yahoo.com...

At least he got to show his children one of his childhood homes before any major damage takes place.

I'm I the only one who thinks it's strange his trip coincided with all the volcanic activity?

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Daughter2

I doubt that your the only one, however I find it odd that people manage to create a link between an erupting volcano and Obamas travel plans. Do you lot really believe its erupting "because" hes there or in the vicinity?

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by who-me?

No, I don't think it's erupting BECAUSE he is there. There is a lot of scientific knowledge kept from the public because it's being used by the military (not my theory - even the military will tell you it's true).

It wouldn't shock me the military had knowledge of major eruptions coming and Obama wanted to visit it one last time - plus perhaps speak to the higher-ups confidentially and fill them in on the details.

But it could just be a coincidence.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
A favourite quote of mine:

" I may disagree strongly with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I do find it interesting that Obama is on the other side of the world right now along with 34 ships and 5k of his most important people. Meanwhile a missile launch goes off in the LA harbour? I mean really, you think this is all just a coincidence? I don't know what to believe anymore, I would like to see something come to the surface tho, It seems we are all just getting filled with bs...thats what my meter says atleast

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by 733t-MNKY
I do find it interesting that Obama is on the other side of the world right now along with 34 ships and 5k of his most important people. Meanwhile a missile launch goes off in the LA harbour? I mean really, you think this is all just a coincidence?

It does seem as if things are spiraling downward - fast.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I shared this with a similar thread about Merapi, though it belongs here as well.

JAKARTA, Nov. 12 (Xinhua) -- Recent eruptions of Indonesia's Mount Merapi have released more than 140 million cubic meters of volcanic materials. But "cold lava" floods are emerging as a serious threat as heavy rains inundate the region, the Jakarta Post quoted a government volcanologist as saying on Friday.

news.xinhuanet.com...

If there is direct connection between the geographical magnetic field and tectonic palatial configuration, the current status of all these volcanic awareness's is something to be watching.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I wonder if anyone can help me out here, I remember readong on here a little while ago, about Toba (or Tonga) and the caldra lake rising 500 foot at one end. But I can't find anything to do with it anywhere. (so it looks like I missremembered something totally wrong) Does anyone have a scooby what I'm on about?

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

Tonga is an island in the pacific near Fiji, LAKE TOBA is in Indonesia. Your thinking about lake toba. if thats what your askin?

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by strawberry91
Im not particularly into prophecies and by no means am I a religious nut, but when reading about what we could expect I couldnt get a certain passage from the revelations out of my head...something about a 3rd of the sky being blacked out or the sun turning dark or something to that effect?

People will believe what they want, but as time goes on, it will be found that the Bible will indeed be correct, time after time, in it's detail of what's to come. If someone wants to thumb their nose at it, so be it.

Interpretations will vary, but the big picture will be proven again, and again to be correct. Time will tell, will it not??

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   
As of teh 16TH of November, there seems to be a change of heart of the locals in that vacinity. Thier "Myths" of Merapi are being taken on a much more scientifical fact based scenario, even though there has been life lost in this latest eruption, seems as if science is actually out weighing cultural belief systems.

Merapi eruptions dispel myths
According to BPPTK, Merapi has so far spewed 140 million cubic meters of volcanic material, creating a new historical record. The last biggest eruption in 1872 was reported to have blasted out 100 million cubic meters of volcanic material.
“The intensity of eruptions this year has indeed exceeded that of 1872,” Subandrio confirmed.

www.thejakartapost.com...

New body prepared to manage disasters
Last month, a twin disaster — an earthquake and tsunami in the Mentawai Islands, West Sumatra, and the volcanic eruption of Mount Merapi in Yogyakarta — occurred hours apart in one of the most seismic active regions on the planet.

Govt urged to write off survivors’ debts
Quoting data from BI’s Yogyakarta office, Lincolin said there was an estimated 3,655 debtors so far in areas badly affected by the eruptions of the world’s most active volcano, with a combined outstanding credit of Rp 106.4 billion. “These are credits that have the potential to turn into bad debts,” he said.

Despite alert, Merapi survivors return home
Only 400 of Gedangan’s 3,929 residents remained in temporary shelters in Boyolali; the rest have returned home, Sugiono said.

I think that the Vulcanologist s did their jobs outstandingly! There could have been many more lives lost in this eruption. For the future of the indigenous people of that area, I hope that they will better understand the sciences of the Merapi eruption rather than take legends old myth for safety assessment.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join