It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake! Anyone else feel shaking??

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Hey, a few minutes ago, I'm sitting here at my desk with the pc, and my desk starts shaking. I feel this slight tremor and rumble for about 15 seconds or so. It wasn't violent, but it was steady and strong feeling. I wouldn't be too worried if I lived in California or something, but this is Iowa. Rumblings NEVER happen here, at least in my experience. So far, it hasn't come back for a few minutes. I'm a little freaked. I guess it's either earthquake or meteor hit. I wanted to know if anyone else in my region felt tremors as well. Let me know!!!

[edit on 28-6-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 01:39 AM
link   
where in IOwa?

There have been a few earthquakes reported in Illinois in the last few years

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Eastern central Iowa, about 2 hours west of the mississippi river.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Is it near Illionois? I apologise but I'm english and my geography is not a strong point!
There was one not long ago, link :

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by AgentSmith
Is it near Illionois? I apologise but I'm english and my geography is not a strong point!
There was one not long ago, link :

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Yes, that must have been it! Thanks a bunch agent. Yes, Iowa is right next door to Illinois to the west, on the other side of the mississippi river. Well, I'm not really worried about it anymore I don't think. It was my first time feeling an earthquake though. Thanks again.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 01:49 AM
link   
That's OK, glad I could help!

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I live in Chicago,

I didn't feel an earthquake BUT i also live right next to a train yard. Ir reciceives a new train every few minutes, so I might haved missed it.

BTW, how far away are you from Grinnell, Iowa?

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I felt it in Milwaukee Wisconsin, scare dthe # out of me, Never felt anything like it in my life. Radio stations near me are saying they felt it as far south as southern Illinois. I dont get it, how come more people didnt feel this? I thought I WAS LOSING MY MIND. Nothing on the news or anything. WTF?????

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Here are some Chicago TV news websites.... so far they haven't reported anything yet:

www.nbc5.com...

www.cbs2chicago.com...

abclocal.go.com...

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by SimpleTruth
Hey, a few minutes ago, I'm sitting here at my desk with the pc, and my desk starts shaking. I feel this slight tremor and rumble for about 15 seconds or so. It wasn't violent, but it was steady and strong feeling. I wouldn't be too worried if I lived in California or something, but this is Iowa. Rumblings NEVER happen here, at least in my experience. So far, it hasn't come back for a few minutes. I'm a little freaked. I guess it's either earthquake or meteor hit. I wanted to know if anyone else in my region felt tremors as well. Let me know!!!

Thursday night, the same thing happened to me and a friend. We're in Galveston, TX. She was sitting at the table when her chair began to shake, then the table and the other chairs. At the same time, I was in the bathroom and the...er...uhhh..."toilet seat" began to shake. Thinking i was hallucinating, I turned to the window, the curtains began to shake, then the bathcurtain. I stood up and stumbled.

About 10 minutes later, she asked me if I felt a weird shaking, Iscreamed, "When I was in the bathroom????" She said,"Yes!"

They both lasted about 10-15 seconds.

Weird?

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Wow!!

Magnitude 4.5!!!
www.iris.edu...

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 02:11 AM
link   
This must be extremely rare. I never in my 26 years felt a earthquake or aftershocks anywere near Wisconsin. Glad to have some input on what it was though.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee
Wow!!

Magnitude 4.5!!!
www.iris.edu...

I live in the landing path of midway airport and various train lines.... and i thought THAT was something i heard from them. I cou;d've sworn it was just jet noise (I'm literally right under the pparoach path).

I'd say more but I'm afraid i'd sound ignorant. Suffice it to say... if the effects I thought were coming from midway were the earthquake, then there WERE minor aftershocks...

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 02:24 AM
link   
No it was nothing serious. I had a good shaking for a good 15 seconds, but if your a midwesterner, then this is not something that happens EVER and you either are ignorant to the fellings like myself, or you have felt them before. It was nothing strong and I can tell you seriously I was pretty #in scared and worried on what the hell was going on.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 02:27 AM
link   
1.I'll admit to a 'shaking' too... but I thought it was due to an (unseen) train.

2.Someone has to be able to pinpoint geological data soon. There shouldn;t be 4+ quakes in the midwest if I remember my geology class on college correctly (which I may not).

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 02:33 AM
link   
More info

The magnitude 4.5 event occurred 11 km (7 miles) ESE of 81 Troy Grove, IL.
The hypocentral depth is 5 km ( 3 miles)

This is quite rare for that area, though not unheard of.
It's definately the biggest quake in the state since sometime before 1998!
www.eas.slu.edu...

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 02:40 AM
link   
This is from memory, but...

when I was about 9 Chicago was hit with a 3.0 (my date is probably wrong by plus or minus one year... I as at a carnival at the time... which was extra scary).

I still haven't seen any news from Chiacgo news sites regrading this event (Though I suspect that it will come soon during the night)

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by SimpleTruth

[edit on 28-6-2004 by John bull 1]

Yes I did feel that! I was wondering if I was hallucinating at first, but I guess I wasn't.

I'm in Illinois. Between 1:10-1:15 AM Central Time I felt the chair I was in shake a little, which I thought felt a little odd. The doors on nearby cabinets were rattling slightly. I walked over to my window, but there was nothing outside that could have caused it. It musn't have been too weak if it was felt in Iowa too.

There was one in So. Illinois and Indiana 2 years ago, summer 2002 that was a 5.0 on the richter scale.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Right now (3:18 am) none of the stations/websites out of Chicago are covering this.

Does anyone have any additional info (BTW, I think this incident can be a good test of how fast/accurately websites like ATS can link to developing news)? Links?

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 03:20 AM
link   
seattlepi.nwsource.com...

"CHICAGO - A brief earthquake struck the Midwest early Monday, rattling windows and awakening sleeping residents from Wisconsin south to Missouri and from Indiana west to Iowa.

No injuries were reported from the quake, which occurred about 1:11 a.m. CDT.

Brian Lassige, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey in Colorado, said the quake was magnitude 4.5, and its epicenter was about eight miles northwest of Ottawa in northern Illinois.

Initial reports indicated no major damage from the temblor, although police agencies and radio stations within the quake area were inundated with telephone calls.

Reports of the shaking came from at least as far east as Valparaiso, Ind., and as far west as the Quad Cities, and from Wisconsin in the north to the St. Louis area in the south."

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join