It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake! Anyone else feel shaking??

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by onlyinmydreams
Right now (3:18 am) none of the stations/websites out of Chicago are covering this.

Does anyone have any additional info (BTW, I think this incident can be a good test of how fast/accurately websites like ATS can link to developing news)? Links?

So far I've seen the UK's Guardian, Weather.com and the Seattle Post Intelligencer mention it. And the USGS.

BtW, I used to live fairly close to Midway Airport back when I still lived in Chicago. A neighborhood called Brighton Park.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 03:39 AM
link   
It's 3:45 central time here and no local tv station has mentione dit yet. I have the radio off so I don't know about its coverage. I just checked the local websites and they ahven't mentioned it. It would be interesting if world news sites in other countries heard about this before we did.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I felt this quake, also thought it was a train, but I noticed it because it shook more then a train usually does. I see 111's all the time and it happened at 1:11, weird. I'm in Michigan City, Indiana two miles from Lake Michigan's southern tip

The New Madrid fault line runs through the center of this country from the great lakes to the Gulf of Mexico (New Madrid itself is in Missouri and was near the epicenter of this fault's largest previous quakes in the 1800s I believe).
Continue here www.surfingtheapocalypse.net...

This would be a good time to look at this map
www.earthchanges.com...

[edit on 28-6-2004 by Ycon]

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 04:23 AM
link   
How about come to Japan. We can supply anyone with all their earthquake needs; Free of charge too......

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 08:42 AM
link   
EDIT: Nevermind...

[edit on 6/28/2004 by titian]

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Earthquakes in the midwest are much more damaging, and felt in a much wider area, than those in quake prone areas. The tectonic plates are much larger and of harder composition, compared to sandy and broken in areas where 4+ quakes are common. I did about a 20 page research paper on the New Madrid in college, so this is just what I remember from it...I have no souces at this time. In the past, severe damage has occured hundreds of miles away from the epicenter of 4.0-5.0 quakes--with no damage anywhere else. If anyone is interested, I can post the research paper. I do not have a disk copy of it because I wrote it in '94 or '95. I can type it in from the hard copy that I retained as long as the spelling trolls do not harp about typo's created by typing it in fast. I would not have time to do it until about midnight tonight. Either post or send me a U2U and I will create a new thread with it.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Well, it made it to the cable news networks, complete with map showing the wide area where it was felt....

Pretty weird...

I'd posted on another forum that I'd 'heard' a few days ago there was going to be an earthquake (major) but I don't think this was 'it'.. as I was feeling a much larger one...

Maybe this is just a pre-quake to a much larger one.. uh oh..

Here's my post on the other forum:

Drought/Earthquake(s)
Posted on: Friday 18 June 2004 @ 09:10:28
"For several years, I've been 'seeing' a dust-bowl-like drought in the West and just this morning it was reported in the Salt Lake Tribune about the current drought in the West being the worst in 500 years - worse, even, than the 'dust-bowl-days'.

I had a vision last year of a huge crack forming in the Hoover Dam (which may cause the dam to burst), and when a client asked me a couple of months ago about buying a condo in a high rise property in Las Vegas, the first thing I 'got' was 'earthquake' so I advised her not to buy it.

Last night I 'heard' 3X that there was going to be an earthquake (major) soon ... uh oh.
"

[edit on 28-6-2004 by Mystic7]

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Wow - turns out there was another earthquake this morning in Alaska - a M6.7!

www.cbsnews.com...

That's pretty hefty, right?

Still... not the 'big' one I thought would be coming soon....

Ouu.. just found this link.. pretty scary!

www.uaf.edu...

[edit on 28-6-2004 by Mystic7]

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Ok.... Now several hours have passed and evey station has covered it... but it's clear that the epicenter was far from the New Madrid fault line. That cuts across southern Illinois, but this happened in northern Illinois.

Question: there is a theory that UFOs are caused by seismic activity (the idea is that the earth releases energy in a form that is seen as glowing stretches of teh sky). Has anyone run across 'bright light' type reports from the midwest?

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 05:59 PM
link   
5 quakes over 4.0 all round the ring of fire today plus the one in Illinois, makes me a little nervous I'm in the Bay Area...

www.iris.edu...

[edit on 28-6-2004 by ANOK]

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 07:42 PM
link   
What's really creepy is the last round of major quakes in Alaska caused the gysers in Yellowstone to change their 'rhythm' ... and that 'bulge' formed under one of the lakes.. (believed to be a supervolcano).. so another M6.7 in Alaska might affect Yellowstone again... hope it doesn't 'blow' .. because it's estimated it will destroy everything within a 600 mile radius.

[edit on 28-6-2004 by Cattlespy]

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Yeah and supposedly it's over due for an eruption.

www.earthmountainview.com...
www.yellowstoneonline.com...
www.syzygyjob.com...

[edit on 29-6-2004 by ANOK]

[edit on 29-6-2004 by ANOK]

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Yeah, I read that Yellowstone stuff too - very unnerving, eh? Can you imagine? It sounds like it's a definite that it *will* blow - but when?

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   
We had one here in IL. It was 71 mile west of me.... Me being in chicago. It was early in the mornig yesterday, I didnt feel it.... But our friend did in Indiana. He said he did, I dont know if I believe him.... It was like 4.3 or something and it was 3 miles down.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I felt it to in mid indiana ...40 min north of laffette
found this pasadena.wr.usgs.gov...

over 7000 reports
(not edited for spelling)

[edit on 29-6-2004 by deadcatsrule]

link   
As of now, there has been major siesmic activity.

aslwww.cr.usgs.gov...

Check out Wyadot Caves Indiana and Cathedral Caves MS.

link   
In the caribbean there's a lot of shakin' & rattlin' going on. Last friday there were three less than 35 miles away from Aruba. All around 3.7. Normally we've had about one 3-ish quake every three or four years, but since March we've had about 20-25 quakes. The biggest one being 4.4. I haven't felt not one of them, but in the local newspaper there are sometimes reports of people who have felt them. Furthermore I've noticed that it's starting to affect one of the walls in the house, we'll have to plaster it real soon.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cattlespy
What's really creepy is the last round of major quakes in Alaska caused the gysers in Yellowstone to change their 'rhythm' ... and that 'bulge' formed under one of the lakes.. (believed to be a supervolcano).. so another M6.7 in Alaska might affect Yellowstone again... hope it doesn't 'blow' .. because it's estimated it will destroy everything within a 600 mile radius.

[edit on 28-6-2004 by Cattlespy]

Oh man, I've heard about the supposed inevibility of Yellowstone blowing its top at some point. Supervolcanos are theory, because we haven't had any blow in modern memory, but I think scientists are pretty sure they really exist. I hope these quakes aren't related to that at all, because its estimated that we're due for that supervolcano to blow relatively soon. (that could still mean 100 or few 100 years still, but that's still soon for the cycle its on.) On the other hand, it could be in a few years, or maybe this year. Or maybe they are related to this upcoming pole shift that's being rumored about? Anyhow, we also must not overreact, because midwest quakes aren't unheard of as far as I've been able to research since this last quake that startled me. And the ring of fire is always active as I understand it.

By the way, thanks for all the feedback everyone.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Like astrocreep said...aslwww.cr.usgs.gov...

quakes happening worldwide at the moment. Sorry to be redundant, but I registered just to say that.....

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
This is pretty cool! In the mid 70's I was in the Air Force working a Seismic Station North East of Tehran, Iran monitoring the Southern Soviet Nuclear Test ranges when an earthquake happened there. I was working the station when one of my fellow workers radioed up from Tehran city that things were jingling in their cabinets and hanging plants were swinging. I excitedly replied that, "Yes it is a pretty big one, I am recording some major activity." Once it was over and I located the epicenter I discovered that it was almost directly beneath the station about a mile down.

Had I had the clever idea to look up instead of fixating on my instruments, I would probably have seen things swinging around in the station. But I didn't even look up once during it. I stood there next to the thermal drums we used to calibrate the instruments and watched the recorders slamming back and forth banging into each other and popping off the edges of the paper. I didn't feel anything, but with all the clatter and excitement from the recorders and signal alarms indicating overdriven signals going off, I was too busy to look around.

The guys I worked with made fun of me for a while after that.

Luke 21:10 Then he said to them: "Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be great earthquakes, famines and pestilences in various places, and fearful events and great signs from heaven.

Reference Link

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join