It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should babies be baptised, without their consent ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Hi everyone,

I guess this is aimed at Christians. Should babies be baptised, without their consent ?

I was Baptised at 6 months.. no one asked me or even thougth about my feelings on the matter. Later my parents told me, I was baptised so they could get me into a very good local church school. which required you to be a baptised christian. So can't blame them for that really, just looking out for my best interests.

I personally no longer believe god is here with us, he's moved on to better things.

I was wondering what other christians felt !! Is it okay to baptise your baby or should you wait until he can decide for himself, if he wants to live a life with god in it ?

Peace

Rock Ape

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Rock Ape

It's just some splashy water and a reason for family to come together. It also makes the Grandparents shut up and stop complaining about "your child going to hell".

Children can't consent to anything at all till the age of what, 16years? 18years?

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Mormons wait until the child is 8 but I think that even 8 is a bit young.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Its not my belief to do so, but really what harm could come of it. You give your baby a bath.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by GeisterFahrer

How do you feel about pro choice?
Think upon it!

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Baptized as a baby is pretty much signing a contract without your consent
Basically signing a morgage while you're in a coma.
I'm against the whole "signing a contract without your own consent"
Although its something that's harmless.

Unless of course a baby planned on joining this world to be the devil or whatnot.
If you feel as though you've been betrayed your privlliage to be a satanic worshiper because you had to be baptized before you could have a say in it, i'm sorry.
Otherwise, again, it's harmless in this senario

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Choice to do what - be baptized a little longer than normal

Oh yeah .. complete submersion.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   

No! You comment against abortion.
It was offensive and inappropriate!

Abotian

Christian anti-abortionists have used the Bible to support their case against abortion. Actually the Bible has nothing to say on the topic and it has a merciless attitude towards babies.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 03:29 AM
link   
So you think babies are much too young to be making decisions about baptisms?

what about ..... living?

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Is it wrong to apply for a SSN for your baby with out their consent? What about making life altering medical desicions with out thier consent?

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   

They're already living. They need their family. Not the Church!
Be human. Not a slave to a religion.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   
If it keeps your relatives happy,that cant be bad.You dont really have a choice at that age anyway,
might even be beneficial in getting kids into swimming

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Did being Baptised cause you any harm?

Personally I can't see what the problem is as long as the child isn't subsequently force fed the religious dogma and rhetoric.
I was baptised then decided myself to be confirmed, I still grew up to be a perfecly rational agnostic.

Oh, and wtf has abortion got to do with Baptism?

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Yeah, this thread has nothing to do with Abortion !!

As for me, Baptism never effected me one way or the other.. but I do think it should be done at a later age. I became agnostic at a very young age, not thru any peer or parental pressure, but from just looking at the world around me.

Peace

Rock Ape.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   

What does how he feels about abortion have to do with the question.... Dr Tiller?

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   

You belong to your parents, and up until a certain age you are their property. Your academic and religious education is their responsibility. As your parents, they have a right to do quite a few things to you, you may not like or appreciate when you get older.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   
I was baptised & went on to catholic school for 12 years and I came out of it not wanting to have any part of it. I'm not baptising my daughter, she gets the right to choose her religion when she see's fit. I'm sure that makes my older family unhappy - stuff em' it's up to her, and her father and I, to choose what we think works best.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain

at what "age" is it appropriate to make your own decisions?

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   

When you are able to. Parents make that decision for you however, until they relinquish responsibility or you turn 18, whichever comes first. You are able to reason and make sense out of what you experience by age 8.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join