It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BB/Pellet Guns for Survival? You betcha...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
too bad i cant use my airsoft guns like this....they only take the 6mm bb's..

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
bb and pellet guns fail in cold weather conditions. buy yourself a chipmunk 22 rifle and 500 rounds of hollow point and you're set. don't forget a few rat traps and a blow dart gun

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Uk laws are naff

Ive got an air pistol, and im a rubbish shot, im doomed haha
I dont know how people do get firearms over here but im pretty sure its a long tedious process. We arent even allowed decent knives....i mean like rambo knives

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Extremely good idea. Air guns are quiet, so you don;t notify the entire neighborhood when you shoot a robin for lunch. From a distance you couldn;t tell the difference from a real firearm so they might have some deterrent value as well. Better have something a little higher powered in case you bluff doesn't work though.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

yeah dude, i actually just revised my survival supplies list, now i have to do it again and add a BB gun, that's a great idea. I made my list not at home so I'm sure there's a few more things i can add to my list, but the benefits of a BB gun are awesome, its quiet so the military who are patrolling our neighborhoods (due to martial law) won't necessarily hear every shot, and ammo will be easier to transport because of its size. good idea though, for real

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I have a barnet hunting slingshot. It is quite powerful, up to about 30 ft. When laying in wait I have manged to down large buck rabbits with a single shot. Pretty damned silent too. I would suggest a bow, crossbow, or one of these babies and save your firearms for when the chips are down.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Hi guys! I've been reading the replies to this thread and I see that theres a lotta people here that know a thing or 2 about guns and air rifles...Now....I'm planning to buy myself an air rifle but have no clue of what to get...plus I live in Finland(where they allow you to have an air rifle with no need for a licence), I want something I can hunt rabbit, duck, quail, and other small game with but is also powerful enough to maybe take bigger game at closer range....Will welcome any tips and suggestions on what type of air rifle and ammo to buy, if I need a scope at all, if needed then what kind, what type is the most reliable and also how to keep the air gun clean.....

regards,

ringht_n_wrong
edit on 12-10-2010 by ringht_n_wrong because: spelling

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
The cheapest most powerful gun is the Powerline 880. I picked one up 2 months ago for this very reason. It shoots 750 feet per second and only $50. It uses both pellets and BB's.
6,000 BB's were only $10.....that's a lotta killing for $10
It's very quiet and light. I had the same model as a kid and used to shoot fish when they came up to eat bread that I threw in the water. I'd like to get a break barrel gun that shoots 1500 feet per second but they are pricey....and noisy too since they break the speed of sound and make a loud crack.
edit on 12-10-2010 by 2ndFUTURE because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ringht_n_wrong
....I'm planning to buy myself an air rifle but have no clue of what to get...

regards,

ringht_n_wrong

I have a Daisy 953. It's a single pump, single shot pellet gun. Highly accurate, but the single shot thing is a pain in the neck.

It takes upto a minute, even longer if you have big fingers, to load the next pellet. They do make a 5 shot cartridge, but even that is a pain. I have 10 of those and I go through them like water. (five shots and reload, five shots, reload, etc. Painful)

The pellet barrel is rifled for a small spin on the pellet, which increases accuracy. BB's can fit, but I don't want to ruin the rifle in the barrel so I stick to pointed pellets.

The people I bought the gun from recommended never aplying oil or any lubricant to the gun unless there is a problem with velocity from the muzzle.

I like the sling-shot idea better. Especially the wrist-rocket variety. Use the bigger marble sized steel ammo and you can inflict some serious damage. Even small rocks can be used, when you run out of ammo.

BTW - CO2 guns would only last as long as the co2 canister. Then what? Bicycle pump?

-E2
edit on 12-10-2010 by EyesII because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-10-2010 by EyesII because: Edit becuase I don't know what I am doing.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ringht_n_wrong

I don't know what the market is like in Finland but AirArms make great re profiled version of the s410/s510 for export bolt action repeater open sights about 30ft/lb with a magnum pellet, can't remember its name but it's bound to be on their site or perhaps Pyramid air would be a useful site.

I'd only buy a pre charged pneumatic with a foot pump and silencer, ideal as a toy or small game survival tool and literally whisper silent when suppressed a little tchk when the trigger works

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

UK laws do suck on stuff like this but I know a mates dad who keeps a shotgun and air rifle.

It's actually pretty simple, the gun has to be locked in a cabinet that's fully secured to a supporting wall of the house.

Only he can know where the key is, and the ammo. And both have to be kept seperate obviously, but I've known this guy for 2 - 3 years and the police visits to 'check up' on you every so often just don't happen, simple as that. They come out and just look at the cabinet but the last time I saw them was about 2 years ago so they aren't that strict.

And I think in a survival situation not many people are going to be getting close enough to use a knife (not unless you can throw it) and even less people would have the testicular fortitude to use a knife on an opponent or potential meal. Due to the fact that knife laws are near enough just as stringent as gun laws over here it's not worth being caught with one either! That's why I keep a HUGE baseball bat

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
It's very hard to get any sort of gun including air rifles/pellet guns here in OZ,so the best option for me is slingshots with marbles or sinkers for ammo,with enough practice you can get pretty accurate and a marble in the head of a rabbit will certainly get you breakfast.

Before the gun prohibition here in Australia I used to go hunting with my grandfather. One time I remember there was something wrong with the .22 so I decided to try out my air rifle. Cannot for the life of me remember much about it except that you could pump as much air into it as you had strength. I remember putting about 50 or so pumps into it and firing a standard .22 pellet and killing a rabbit at probably 100 yards away.

Powerful little things if used correctly.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by EyesII

BTW - CO2 guns would only last as long as the co2 canister. Then what? Bicycle pump?

It's a good point, but CO2 cartridges are pretty small, and a lot could be carried in a small bandolier, etc. I'd recommend a pump type rifle for your main hunting though, with a CO2 pistol as something small and easier to carry in a bug out bag, vs a pump rifle.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Hot Dog!!!

Impossible to successfully argue What-If discussions!!!

Thanks OP for a great idea. IMHO, what ever brings home the bacon is a good thing. An air rifle definitely falls into that category and one I never gave much thought to until now. Like any tool, it pays to but a good one. I like the idea of some air rifles having multiple methods of utilizing compressed air, e.g. pumping, canisters, compressor attachment, etc. Smart.

Some in this thread have argued they are not that quiet. While I agree they are not completely silent, they are a lot more stealthy than center fired ammunition. Even modern compound bows or crossbows are "thwacky". So, short of a club, killing stuff can be a little noisy.

I like the weight argument. It is easy to carry a zillion pellets. No reloading components. No worrying about powder age or quality.

...OK, I will be honest. There is something so biblically satisfying of whacking an old can with a BB gun. All cares and concerns vanish with that magical "plink". It is as the Creator intended. Sight picture, trigger squeeze, and instant positive feedback. Ahhhh................

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

They are too heavy and large for what they do. A .22 pistol, 500 rounds of ammo, and a wrist rocket is a better idea.

Having 2 long guns is clumsy, and if I was going to have 2 rifles with me it would be a .223 and a .308.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ringht_n_wrong

Winchester model 1000x. No co2, 2-way adjustable rear sight, .177 and shoots 1000fps.
It is heavy though like all good non-co2 rifles. I would also stress that if you are really buying this for survival you're better off with a .223 ( I love my Ruger mini-14). Good for hunting and protection.
.02 given.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Well, if that's all you have, then you have to play the cards you are dealt, so I could see it for small game. But that is about all they are good for, so hopefully that's your only concern, i.e.: no zombies hunting you back. In a bug-out situation where weight is a concern, I'm not sure a .22 is that much heaver, though some of the same caveats apply. In theory you would be looking for long-term survival as a sustainable level, and here is where I think you would need something more substantial, even though you might keep an air gun as part of your arsenal because of the ammunition issue where every shot counts long term. I suppose every situation is different, but I'm more inclined to re-enforce the castle for defense rather than try living in the woods and that's how I have planned out the scenario.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I have the Walther Talon. I Paid $179 on sale at Big 5. Its a VERY powerful, and fast. I’ve cronied 177 pellets at over 1300 fps. Puts a ½ inch dent in the dumpster @ 100 ft. and will go clean thru a 2x4.

To clear up a few points: this gun is Loud; it is breaking the sound barrier, as in CRACK! Sound like a 22. A sub sonic 22 cal round is quieter.

This rifle is heavy as well @ 8.25 lbs.

· Loudness: 3-Medium
· Weight: 8.25 lbs
· Barrel Length:19.75"
· Overall Length: 49.00"
· Capacity: 1 round(s)
· Cocking Effort:27 lbs.
· Barrel: Rifled
· Front Sight: Fiber Optic
· Rear Sight: Fiber Optic
· Scopeable: Weaver & 11mm dovetails
· Trigger adj.: Single-stage
· Apprx. Trigger Pull: 5.56 lbs
· Buttpad: Adjustable
· Suggested for: Hunting
· Action: Break barrel
· Powerplant: Spring-piston
· Safety: Automatic
· Repeater: Single-shot

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by hinky

I'm not sure if I would try the oil thing. Maybe if it was a beat up pellet gun; one I wouldn't mind damaging. Some people that commented on youtube said that it could damage the gun.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Man on man!

Since this thread started I got all kinds of holes in the walls

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join