It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A nuclear armed Japan may be around the corner

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I'm uneasy about Japan developing nuclear weapons. It's not because they're a rogue nation or would use them against us. But it's mainly that, being the only nation against which nuclear weapons were used and having flourished as a nation without them since the end of the second world war, that their possession of them might signal a lowering of the threshold at which such weapons might be used again.

That's a bit irrational, I guess, but it's how I feel.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Well you're entitled to your speculations. But their is no evidence Iran is developing nuclear weapons. It's just the same stuff that happened with Iraq.

Even if they are developing nuclear weapons, can you really blame them? Having an imperalist country such as the United States hovering over them.

They know using nuclear weapons would invite their own destruction. It's a deterrent.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
reply to post by Mdv2

Well you're entitled to your speculations. But their is no evidence Iran is developing nuclear weapons. It's just the same stuff that happened with Iraq.

It's not and for the Western propaganda machine, it's very unfortunate that the current developments happen so quick after they tricked us into a war with Iraq. I explained in another thread that the Jerusalem Post published a report in 1998 that Israeli intelligence sources concluded Iran had acquired ex-Soviet nuclear weapons. That's no propaganda - if it would be, why do you think you hear zero about it now? They are pretending it's still possible - a race against time - which buys much more public support than telling the public to go at war with a nuclear power. Iran is only now becoming a threat to Israel's position in the Middle East power balance as they are successfully developing a platform to deliver nuclear warheads with - as well as the capability to build nuclear warheads on a large scale domestically.

Even if they are developing nuclear weapons, can you really blame them? Having an imperalist country such as the United States hovering over them.

They know using nuclear weapons would invite their own destruction. It's a deterrent.

No, I can't blame them and I doubt they would use their weapons. As I said, this is about Israel feeling threatened about losing its superior position in the Middle East, not about being afraid of becoming the target of a nuclear attack - that's a secondary threat at most. It would shift the power balance in such a way that Israel's leeway would be greatly limited and I for one say that's a good thing. However, it's just a pity that Iran is ruled by a bunch of extremist lunatics.
edit on 9-10-2010 by Mdv2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Yes, I actually agree with you quite a bit.

If in the near future it turns out Iran has developed nuclear weapons, then I will be the first to stand up and say that I was wrong.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I'm not tooting my own horn here but in topics of the past where non proliferation in Asia has been an issue I recall much laughter about Japan as a viable threat. My reply has always been "Don't laugh". And the reason is that they have enough plutonium and fissile, weapons ready material in STORAGE to rival either Russia or the States, maybe even the combined stockpile of both. This has been known in intelligence circles for decades but just not widely and openly discussed.

Again, don't laugh.

If they wanted to, yes they could have a usable ICBM type weapon in mere months if not weeks.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

the pieces are being set for a final showdown..... y the surprise?

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Whats to stop China making a pre-emptive strike against Japan to stop them from aquiring nuclear weapons?

US is planning the same thing with Israel against Iran as we all know.

Also like mentioned, Burma (myanmar) is on a nuclear weapons path aswell....its not very publicly discussed. That nation is getting help from North Korea.

Now picture this......China, North Korea and Burma (myanmar) side together against the rest of South East Asia......

Troop Numbers By Country

Myanmar - 513,250 Total troops
North Korea - 9,495,000 Total Troops

China - 16,455,000 Total Troops

US - 2,455,837 Total Troops

Even if you add all the allies troops you would still struggle to match the strength of these three in Numbers.

Say they got together and attacked collectively their surrounding nations for their own cause.....I beleive they could take over most of south east asia in a short amount of time.....Japan would be a sitting duck as would Thailand and South Korea.....

US would either let it slide or nuke a large portion of South East Asia.....do you really think they would lay waste to such a large area of land and number of people?

The last thing you want is a Asian Arms Race, because this would be the likely result.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Any country ruled by religious extremists is a threat. The Russians have offered to enrich and supply enough uranium for any amount of reactors the Iranians may want to set up, yet they insist on doing it themselves. They constantly prevent UN inspectors from completing their jobs. During rallies held weekly by the religious leadership, they chant "Death to USA, Death to Israel". This is openly encouraged by the government. They supress political opposition, and when the good citizens of Iran protested their last election, the government sent their goons to beat, harrass and detain protestors. The president has made many statements of how the USA will soon cease to exist, and dependining on how you translate his speeches, has claimed they will "drive Israel into the sea".

These are not the actions of a rational people or govenrment. Govenment and religion should never be mixed, doing so is a horribly dangerous combination. While Israel is no doubt not perfect, since their creation they have had to defend themselves nurmerous times from hostile countries surrounding them, and at times have overcome incredible odds to survive. You claim that Iran should be justified by making nuclear weapons because they are harrassed by and imperialist USA, but is Israel not harrassed in the same manner by the Arabs?

Many claim attrocities by the Israelis, but they at least look after their own. Since becoming a country, they have never refused entry to one jew seeking a homeland, yet the arabs create a humanitarian disaster in order to make the Israelis look bad by not absorbing their Arab brothers into their countries. The poor Palistinians live in camps in lebanon and such with no hope of being integrated into surrounding arab counties. Why does Syria, Eqypt, Lebanon and such not open their doors wide to their brothers, as Israel does to the jews?

But alas i digress. This is about Iran, not Israel. They are a fanatical threat to any sane, forward thinking country. Their treatment of women alone is a disgrace and by itself is a reason they should be eyed with suspicion. If any govenrment thought it was proper to whip my wife simply because she was seen in public without a face veil, i would like to think i would join an underground movement to overthrow such a vile regime. A blight on humanity the way they treat women.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ignorance_Defier
Yikes; we need to get rid of all nuclear weapons now. No country should be aloud to have them I am for a world wide ban on Nukes. This includes the USA and Japan and everyone else.

'Mo nukes, mo problems'.

Nope, we need more...

Until everyone is on an equal playing field and anyone of us could take out any other one of us, with the assumption they would be obliterated soon thereafter, we will not have a peaceful situation.

I say more nukes the better...

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
. . .Anyone else think this sounds like a re-run of WW2?

Some might feel uneasy about Japan developing nuclear weapons but I'm uneasy about us developing nuclear weapons. The U.S. isn't an Axis favorite when it comes to war. mostly because we always cheat.
edit on 10/9/10 by ohsnaptruth because: second line

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ohsnaptruth

I do.

The financial crisis, rise of the right political parties, tensions running high everywhere across the world... It's just waiting for the final blow.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Japan does NOT need nuclear weapons. The United States alone should be enough to deter any possible threat with its arsenal of ICBM's and SLBM's, especially SLBM's.

They could launch from their base in the state of Washington where they have a brigade of nuclear submarines with SLBM capabilities.

And India should be enough, combined with the United States, to keep China from launching at Japan.

Japan does not need to break national and international law to protect itself.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Why would the need to worry about China? Its the US that nuked 'em...

Maybe we should be worried, time for some payback, hehe.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by rajaten
Is this really a good idea?

What if this guy is sitting at the nuke control panel?

I dunno guys...

No, they need that guy in the Missile Command-style missile defense bunker for when N. Korea starts lobbing bombs at them.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
As was pointed out earlier Japan has massive amounts of weapons grade materials stockpiled already....

Traditionally when articles like this start showing up even guys like him being bow wave types.... well it usually means they already have them and want the right people to know they're willing to let it be known they have them by the simple expedient of turning the city of an agressor or even someone THINKING TOO HARD about hitting them!!

Just like south africa gave up their nukes too right? HEHE

But you guys are right about this being not just a bad sign but one of those signs that should have us all looking at fallout spread profiles and considering the purchase of a geiger counter.

this is not good kids it's time to start praying to whatever god you believe in while looking into Decon procedures .... Think I'll go hit craigslist and look for something that I can safely sail beyond the continental shelf and hang out for 30 days or so then decide by geiger counter whether to pull a reverse illegal immigrant and head south or just head back inland to salvage what I can.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Oh and one other observation in response to the pieces being set for a showdown and this setting up exactly like world war 2....

I agree 100% unfortunately for us americans I think we're scripted to play the brits in the early days of this one... specifically I have this creeping suspicion that we're about to get a multicontinental DUNKIRKING!!

We have materiel and men scattered throughout the arse end of EVERYWHERE and i'm pretty certain some forces that don't have much in the way of war stores are eying ours in various places including the large depots we maintain in only borderline friendly nations with at best a battallion of security forces with no heavy bang bang or ARTY set up!

This is going to be bad and I Thank every deity I can think of every day that my younger brother the marine is stationed in the continental US currently.

I have a terrible feeling that we've been sold out by forces within and without and are about to suffer a terrible blow...

Which incidentally will give the military industrial complex the boost it so badly needs as it's bloatware wunder weapons apropriations and development programs are starting to actually get questioned and *gasp imagine the nerve!!* CANCELED!!!

Gee well this will show us

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Cold war 2.0

The small players during the first cold war are now participating in cold war 2.0.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
It is okay for Japan to obtain nuclear weapons out of fear of North Korea and China...

...but it is not okay for Iran to obtain nuclear weapons out of fear of Israel and the United States.

Am I understanding that correctly? Yes? Okay, good.

The reasons why are not important because I am an American and I do not question my government. Details and logic do not matter.

Utter hypocrisy.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Melbourne_Militia
Whats to stop China making a pre-emptive strike against Japan to stop them from aquiring nuclear weapons?

Right now the only thing stopping China from attacking Japan is the Treaty Japan has with the U.S. which basically says if Anyone attacks Japan the U.S. must come to Japans defense.

Another thing that is stopping China from nuking Japan right now is the number of U.S. troops that are stationed in Japan. If China was to nuke Japan the U.S. would Nuke China. As that is the very well known and stated Policy of the U.S. if you use Nukes, chemical or biological weapons on U.S. troop we can and will respond with NUKES!

China is not stupid, they know if they use nukes or even attack Japan with conventional weapons it would very quickly bring the U.S. into the war. And China needs the U.S. alot more than they fear Japan.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

if any nation on this planet has a right to go nuclear its japan they didnt take this decision lightly and they will not deciding on wether or not to use them...........

japan is the only nation in this world that i will support going nuclear end of story

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join