It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A nuclear armed Japan may be around the corner

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   

A nuclear armed Japan may be around the corner

onlinejournal.com

Frayed relations with China and Russia, the ever-present threat posed by North Korea’s nuclear weapons, and a re-examination of the 1960 U.S.-Japan security treaty, formally known as the Treaty of Mutual Cooperation and Security between the United States and Japan, has some in the Japanese government and military considering what would have been unthinkable just a few years ago, Japan entering the club of nations possessing nuclear weapons.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   

If Japan opts to leave the NPT regime and obtain nuclear weapons there will be a domino effect in Asia. It is well known that while the world was concentrating on North Korea’s nuclear weapons program, South Korea quietly embarked on its own secret nuclear weapons acquisition program.

It seems that more and more countries enter the race for nuclear arms and frankly speaking, I cannot blame Japan for considering to participate, with China growing more hostile ever day.

The article says that it will take them only three months to develop nuclear weapons.

I wonder who is next.

onlinejournal.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Yikes; we need to get rid of all nuclear weapons now. No country should be aloud to have them I am for a world wide ban on Nukes. This includes the USA and Japan and everyone else.

'Mo nukes, mo problems'.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ignorance_Defier
Yikes; we need to get rid of all nuclear weapons now.

Anything for a global conflagration eh?

If you claim you're not a supporter of global conflagration...

...Then why advocate the removal of the one thing preventing it - mutual nuclear annihilation?

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I can't see China doing anything silly or even Russia, they know they would be wiped out within 30 minutes of launching anything silly towards the US / UK etc.

It's Muppets like North Korea and (not so important to Japan) countries like Iran that we need to keep an eye on.

Their religious beliefs (Iran) and lack of brain cells (NK) make them far more likely to PUSH THE BUTTON so to speak.

So to be honest, I don't blame Japan for wanting Nukes.

Like their cars, you can be sure they will be 100% reliable and do the job in hand perfectly!!

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Is this really a good idea?

What if this guy is sitting at the nuke control panel?

I dunno guys...

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   
There are a number of nations who have the technical know-how and industrial capability to quickly become nuclear - basically any advanced industrial nation in the West.

Japan is an advanced democratic nation and international economic power who is faced by an unpredictable North Korea and a developing economic powerhouse with a one-party dictatorship in the form of China. China is especially finding the confidence to flex its steroid grown muscles.

Let's not beat around the bush, but China is a one-party State – a dictatorship - and as it typical with regimes who are in power through the oppression of their population one way of maintaining control is through the indoctrination and having “an enemy".

Japan is right to fear an unpredictable China whose leaders struggle to keep in power. A routinely nuclear armed Japan is probably unlikely, although there is always an unspoken threat that if pushed it would be of little consequence to deploy nuclear weapons.

Regards

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I wouldn't mind them having nukes as long as they are on our side. Plus if it all goes wrong, it could be just like Akira!!!

Tetsuo!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Isn't Japan basically set up so that if they wanted to go nuclear they could do it in no time? Myanmar are ones to watch as well, those guys are heavily dug in for something. Most of their national income is spent on fortifying the country by secret tunnel networks. God knows what they are up to down there.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   
The event usually referred to by the phrase “end of the world” is described in 2 Peter 3:10: “The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare.” This is the culmination of the events referred to in the beginning of that verse as “the day of the Lord,” the time when God will intervene in human history for the purpose of judgment. At that time, all that God has created, “the heavens and the earth” (Genesis 1:1), He will destroy.

It is written in the good book. There are other accounts in the bible as well, but this dicpicts it clear enough. All this nuclear arms race is all part of gods plan. It has been told and warned to us, so all we can do is accept it and wait for his glorious coming. This will be caused by nuclear explosions throughout the world, right now, all corners of the world has or soon will have Nuclear weapons, takes one trigger finger to start the all out Nuclear Holocaust.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Japan is moving very very slowly towards seeking a more independent role in the world.

There are moves to undo the self imposed ban on Japanese defence exports. This would attempt to regenerate the struggling indigenous defence industry through collaboration with others.

The refusal of USA to export F-22 to Japan was a wake up call.

I would be surprised if they overtly go nuclear anytime soon. I would be more surprised if they haven't covertly done it already.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Who is "Wayne Madson"?

I can't say I've heard ANY popular support for a nuclear Japan, at least not in any of the Japanese media that I'm exposed to on a daily basis.

Sources, please. This is absurd as me pulling out a Japanese language blog story asserting that Obama wants to give free pizzas to Mormons (according to my sources in Utah, this is true).

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Even if Wayne Madsen is MEH as a source...

This is true. I posted a thread about it a few months ago but nobody noticed.

Japan panel moots major defence policy shift: reports

It also proposes lifting outright bans on development and possession of nuclear weapons and their transportation to Japan, which could stir controversy in the officially pacifist nation, the Asahi said.

It also proposes relaxation of restrictions on arms exports to allow joint development and production of weapons with the United States and other allies, the Yomiuri said.

If approved, it would be the biggest change in Japan military doctrine since the end of WW2.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

One leaked non-binding recommendation does not equal policy.

Incidentally, that report was supposed to have been submitted in August - don't recall hearing anything about it, though.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

Yeah but it still lays out what they would do if they decided to do it... and with tensions with China/North Korea rising... Japan population aging... the US going bankrupt...

Japan will need to be able to defend themselves... so IMO they'll have to do it pretty soon.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
So it's all very well for Japan to develop nuclear weapons out of fear of China and North Korea but not for Iran to do the same thing out of fear of the United States and Israel?

Hypocrisy much?

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
So it's all very well for Japan to develop nuclear weapons out of fear of China and North Korea but not for Iran to do the same thing out of fear of the United States and Israel?

Hypocrisy much?

Learn to read, I would say:

If Japan opts to leave the NPT regime and obtain nuclear weapons there will be a domino effect in Asia.

Now you do the math.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Yes it's called a security dilemma or a spiral model.

But Iran has signed and ratified the NPT.

It's sheer U.S hypocrisy as usual. As it ALWAYS is!

If Japan does this, the U.S will just be in full agreement and won't bat an eyelid.

But Iran, oh no......

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Guess who isn't a party to the NPT?

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
reply to post by Mdv2

Yes it's called a security dilemma or a spiral model.

But Iran has signed and ratified the NPT.

It's sheer U.S hypocrisy as usual. As it ALWAYS is!

If Japan does this, the U.S will just be in full agreement and won't bat an eyelid.

But Iran, oh no......

Yes, Iran is a signatory of the NPT, yet I personally strongly suspect them of having acquired ex-Soviet warheads as well as highly enriched uranium. There nuclear program is merely intended to expand its arsenal and become independent in developing nuclear weapons. Hypocritical is Iran pretending to enrich uranium for mere peaceful purposes, while there's plenty of indications that's not what they are after (apologists don't want to see that). Although I wouldn't like to see Iran becoming a nuclear power, I would have little problems with it if they would admit and drop out of the NPT.

On the other hand, one can argue that the US is hypocritical for policing the world with double standards, but what people forget is that a 'fair world', is an utopia. If Iran would be ruling this world, they would do so with double standards too. This world isn't ideal, accept that.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join