It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Rules for Avatars and Mini-Profile Backgrounds (Updated Opening Post: 2016)

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
TESTING

Just testing because I think I've finally cracked this whole Avatar/Background thingy,

YAY..

Looks good on my end, no repetition, nothing cut off.

Wooooo

edit on 13/10/10 by blupblup because: Edit to YAY and Wooooo because this has been very frustrating

If you can increase the length by 10 pixels you can get rid of that white line at the bottom.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
@ SO

perhaps removing the several pixel buffer between the mini profile and the post field would increase the overall look of the boards.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Can't the background image loop continuously in the avatar space given, like it did before? In my longer posts (a lot seem fairly long
), it stops after some time, and gives a...not very nice look. Looping the same image doesn't waste bandwidth or anything like that, since the image needs to be loaded only once.

In shorter posts, the post size is always kept to at least the size of the the background image (from what I've seen), but in longer posts, the ugly grey background shows up. I know I can change the background colour of my mini-profile, but it really doesn't make it look all that better.

I'll whitespace this post up, to show what i mean:

Stuff.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by babloyi

I went with the 700 long background babloyi it doesn't loop (apart from in my profile where it displays twice).

I'm happy to putter about with it though.

-m0r.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
You just made me realise another weird thing! My background image is 160x500 pixels, but my posts (like the previous one) don't show the whole 500! They cut it off! Also, while it doesn't loop vertically, it loops horizontally in my posts, but in my profile page, it doesn't, which causes another misaligning. According to the OP:

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Pixel Space: The new "visible" space for background images is 180 pixels wide and 400-480 pixels tall (depending on other factors in your mini-profile).

Maximum Pixel Dimensions: Maximum allowable mini-profile backgrounds will be 200 pixels wide by 700 pixels tall. Smaller images are repeated in the background space.

I'm allowed an image up to 700px tall, but only 400-480 will be visible? What does that mean?

Is there some way to get my background image to loop continuously, depending on how long my post is? Also, can someone tell me the exact dimensions or specifications for my starfield background image, and my amazed dude avatar so that it shows properly in my posts as well as my profile page? I have no problem editing the starfield or the dude.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by babloyi

I think there must be maintenance going on just now because even those who I know spend a bit of time getting their avatars up and running with their background images aren't displaying the way they should.

Plus your 'Dude' is Guybrush Threepwood, a mighty pirate indeed.

Yar.

-m0r

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

He is indeed. Glad to know there is still some knowledge of fine art, class and culture in this world

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

If you can increase the length by 10 pixels you can get rid of that white line at the bottom.

I don't see a white line?

Hmmmmm

Weird.

Cheers though.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

I don't see a white line?

Yeah, it is there. My guess is your using IE as a browser. If you are, go to the top of your computer screen click on page, then click on (turn on) compatibility view... you should now see what we see.

If I turn it off, your avatar is fine, if I turn it on, your avatar starts to repeat.

The new height for your avatar is 475 pixels, this seems to work ok.

The new problem I have is the compatibility view switches itself off when I log out. So I have to adjust it again when I come back.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by John Q

That might be anyone's problem. IE is the number 1 browser for downloading Mozilla Firefox. Other than that, it is pretty useless.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by John Q

Well I'm using FF and have no issues my end.

I used the maximum (AFAIK) dimensions.... and it looks ok to me, so It's all good.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

yup...the white line is gone now.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Well I never changed anything?

Have always used FF and haven't altered anything since I posted yesterday?

Hmmmmmm

Weird.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

sorry to say but I still see a repeating line at the bottom of your bg, about 10 px
edit on 14/10/2010 by GypsK because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

Me too:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1d28fd61ffb3.png[/atsimg]

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

Well I don't get it?

And to be honest, what I see fits and looks fine and as I don't see ATS through anyone's monitor but my own, I'm happy

It seems several people have commented on their own avatars and other peoples and people are seeing all manner of different sizes, things cut of and so on.
I guess as long as everybody's screen looks ok to them, that's all that matters.

I wish it didn't have to be screwed around with.... but that's the price of progress I guess! (and I'm joking btw)

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Blupblup,

I don't see a line and I checked (because I'm a dork) in both Firefox and Chromium. Lol

ETA: I'm using the nosquint add-on and the background looks fine to me both at normal zoom (100%) and zoomed in to (120%) so as long as you're happy, it's all good, right?

edit on 14-10-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   

do you have your screen size zoomed in or out? Or the font size of your browser? This could cause you to see all bg's bigger then they are

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
reply to post by GypsK

Well I don't get it?

And to be honest, what I see fits and looks fine and as I don't see ATS through anyone's monitor but my own, I'm happy

It seems several people have commented on their own avatars and other peoples and people are seeing all manner of different sizes, things cut of and so on.
I guess as long as everybody's screen looks ok to them, that's all that matters.

I wish it didn't have to be screwed around with.... but that's the price of progress I guess! (and I'm joking btw)

I think that SO will likely continue to work on the coding of this. But it is something that needs resolving. Part of the whole ATS 2010 concept was to create refined and consistent page displays. This avatar thing is scewing that up pretty good.

Regardless, if that is the worst i have to deal with.....

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

See this is what I've got

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4620bb856235.jpg[/atsimg]

Hmmmmm

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join