It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Rules for Avatars and Mini-Profile Backgrounds (Updated Opening Post: 2016)

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Aye, "there's the rub!"

( ...altering sizes....stumbling in the dark, I yam! Hang on, here comes another jolt! Hoping to get the hang of it, soon enough. Aye......and, "Arghhh"
)

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
testing

testing

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Aye, "there's the rub!"

( ...altering sizes....stumbling in the dark, I yam! Hang on, here comes another jolt! Hoping to get the hang of it, soon enough. Aye......and, "Arghhh"
)

you're standing on your head.

But don't feel bad. I lost mine a little while ago.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Didnt know where else to post this...

Heres some resized (or new) background avatars for ATS members. It will show your name, image and code.

ladyinwaiting (resize) 180 x 465

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/077f07071c23.jpg[/atsimg]

Background code: /member/077f07071c23.jpg

Ayana (resize) 180 x 465

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/af5e059148f7.jpg[/atsimg]

Background code: /member/af5e059148f7.jpg

Blackpoison94 (resize)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d6c963f5940a.jpg[/atsimg]

Background code: /member/d6c963f5940a.jpg

Scramjet76 (new) 180 x 460 bit smaller to fit border in (thats the plan)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d05274eef62d.jpg[/atsimg]

Background code: /member/d05274eef62d.jpg

Will also post this one on his thread.

Ok.. nows theres every chance that the size is wrong, the height seems to change on every avatar, there is no universal number on the height.. so all I can say is try it, if it doesnt fit then I will do it again... and again... and again.

Blackpoison94: I will send you an example of your new avy via u2u.

Ladyinwaiting: Still havent found a decent image for your new one yet.

Thats all, Laters.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by John Q

Thank you so much. I think the truncating effort got mine squared away.
I appreciate you!

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Question,
Me and John Q where discussing in another tread that we don't see the size of the background images the same, even though we use the same browser.

I see his bg repeating on my screen, while in his screen it fits perfectly. On his screen my bg is cut off.
What causes this differences?

would be good to know this when making bg's for other members...

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Hey, everyone.

I'm new and have my avatar uploaded and ready to go (although I will probably modify/change it to not be me). I was wondering why it won't show up in my posts, though. Do I have to make a certain amount of posts to receive avatar privileges?

Thank you for your time.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

If you're using a smaller monitor that would cause it, as would a lower resolution setting.

Springer...

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by girl_interrupted

You need to add the URL for your avatar in "tools" -> "account settings" -> "avatar".

S...
edit on 10-12-2010 by Springer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
reply to post by GypsK

If you're using a smaller monitor that would cause it, as would a lower resolution setting.

Springer...

With all due respect, I am not sure this is correct. Can you check with SO on this question? I see issues, too. My cpu is less than a year old, wide screen laptop, 17" screen, running 1366X768 resolution.

Some avi's tile, some repeat, some cut off.

But the real issue is, if the forum engine doesn't create a somewhat standard layout for multiple hardware profiles and platforms. Some folks are just still going to have 800X600 resolution (for a couple more years). It is an injustice to the artistic talent of your users if you are not ensuring that their art is displayed without being chopped up and reassembled.

edit to add...your avi is truncated quite severely on my screen right now. It cuts it off right in the middle of the "AboveNetwork" graphic below your image.

Also, i absolutely love the new layout. The response to user feedback has turned a positive change into a true work of art. Kudo's, ATS.
edit on 12-10-2010 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

The issue is most-likely browser-related, especially if you come to ATS using a browser that allows zoom-in or zoom-out and aren't in the null/natural state (most sites would also have similar problems).

The opening post defined a range, not an absolute because of this. While the background area will typically show 176 horizontal pixels in a null/natural zoom condition, it may be slightly different depending on a few other factors, which is why we allowed for larger background images.

If you make your background 200 pixels wide by 700 tall, there will be no tiling regardless of the other more fluid factors.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

The issue is most-likely browser-related, especially if you come to ATS using a browser that allows zoom-in or zoom-out and aren't in the null/natural state (most sites would also have similar problems).

The opening post defined a range, not an absolute because of this. While the background area will typically show 176 horizontal pixels in a null/natural zoom condition, it may be slightly different depending on a few other factors, which is why we allowed for larger background images.

If you make your background 200 pixels wide by 700 tall, there will be no tiling regardless of the other more fluid factors.

You, sir, are a genius. I use NoSquint, and it defaults to 120%. Right after my last post, i went and backed it out to 100%, and found that the whole thing fell into line perfectly.

I have also found that it will allow me to go to 115% without impacting site quality.

Your prescience is outstanding.
Kudo's.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   

we also noticed that in IE8, if you don't turn on the compatibility mode, it tiles the background
2nd

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I am unhappy about losing my friends list which made it so easy to

attach onto their name to bring me to their profile.

The list of their threads is of no help. If I want to

look at their posts and threads I would rather do

it via their profile.

Should there not be some device if a mistake is made

on a new thread title so one can make correction of

same?

I did not know where to post...so I posted here!

sorry

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I need help after playing around for hours as you can see it's not working for me. It works on my profile but not when I go to post. In theory we should just be able to eliminate the avatar completely and just use the mini-profile for your avatar. That's what it looked like people were doing, either that or they are very skilfully merging the Avatar space and the mini-profile.
edit on 13-10-2010 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
mine won't work.
I've been trying all day =(
edit on 10/13/2010 by wickedqueenamanda because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

It looks like you've placed your bluejay avatar over the blue jay background instead of replacing the avatar with the clear .gif. So, go into your profile and delete the avatar (leave the background) and than replace it with the gif should be fine after that.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by wickedqueenamanda
mine won't work.
I've been trying all day =(
edit on 10/13/2010 by wickedqueenamanda because: (no reason given)

U2U me for help.
I don't normally offer help for avatars, but i feel for your frustration.
I need to know what you have done, where you are trying to pull your image from, etc. then we will get you fixed up.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
TESTING

Just testing because I think I've finally cracked this whole Avatar/Background thingy,

YAY..

Looks good on my end, no repetition, nothing cut off.

Wooooo

edit on 13/10/10 by blupblup because: Edit to YAY and Wooooo because this has been very frustrating

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Yup that worked, thanks.

The clear Gif trick is awesome, now my avatar is bigger than before.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join