It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Rules for Avatars and Mini-Profile Backgrounds (Updated Opening Post: 2016)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
With the new ATS.2010 redesign, many members have notice some changes in the mini-profile space devoted to avatars and backgrounds. There have been changes, and here are the new requirements.

Maximum pixel dimensions: 170 pixels wide by 240 pixels high.

Maximum file size: Remains 75k

Because the layout parameters for page structure is different than the old per-2010 format, overly-tall avatars can make the thread-view a very-tall page.

Mini-Profile Background Images

A common method used by many members to "workaround" the avatar physical pixel size limitation is to use a mini-profile background image, and a clear-GIF/PNG avatar. We will continue to encourage this level of creativity in conjunction with the new avatar limitations.

Pixel Space: The new "visible" space for background images is 180 pixels wide and 400-480 pixels tall (depending on other factors in your mini-profile).

Maximum Pixel Dimensions: Maximum allowable mini-profile backgrounds will be 200 pixels wide by 1600 pixels tall. Smaller images are repeated in the background space for taller posts.

Maximum File Size: Maximum file size for mini-profile backgrounds is 100k if you're using a clear-GIF as your avatar, if not, the combined file size of your avatar and background image cannot exceed 150k.

Animated backgrounds are not allowed.

Background colors and imagery that obscure your member name are not allowed.

Mini-Profile Background Images Hints & Tips

With very-long posts, your background image will repeat within the space. So it's a good idea to have the same solid color at the top and bottom of your image. This will make for a seamless repeat.

If you're having trouble getting the file size below 100k for a tall background image, even with high JPEG compression, try blurring unimportant sections of the image. Blurred images/areas compress better than images or areas of images with fine detail.

Enforcement Timeline

Beginning Monday, October 11th, 2010, the mini-profile code will automatically truncate your avatars to the size mentioned above.

Beginning November 1, 2010, our staff will begin removing avatars and backgrounds -- observed in recent postings, they won't "look back" at old posts -- that don't comply with the new dimensions and file sizes.

Hopefully this gives our members enough time to create or locate new avatars and backgrounds, and see the entire site layout "clean-up" into a more uniform display for members.

edit on 4-10-2010 by SkepticOverlord because: Updated background image area

edit on 16-3-2016 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-3-2016 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Animated backgrounds are not allowed.

Background colors and imagery that obscure your member name are not allowed.

Thank you SO, I for one won't miss hitting the esc key to stop the animation and it will be great not having to highlight a members information that many times is obscured, good choices.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Oh nice, to be in avatar hell again, and have images blurred and spend ages trying to not ruin a good picture, then the background that is resized doesnt want to center on the picture. It should automatically recentre, I don't do math well, have no spatial, have so its a hopeless venture.

Its going to take days to figure this one out.

Also really value individuality and variation. I am so glad we moved and the kids are wearing jeans again instead of uniforms. I told all the staff there in the meetings what I thought about it.

edit on 3-10-2010 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Beginning Monday, September 11th, 2010, the mini-profile code will automatically truncate your avatars to the size mentioned above.

I thought Sep 11 was a saturday
Did you mean October 11th?

Thanks for the notice

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilBat

Beginning Monday, September 11th, 2010, the mini-profile code will automatically truncate your avatars to the size mentioned above.

I thought Sep 11 was a saturday
Did you mean October 11th?

Thanks for the notice

not to mention, in the past.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Its going to take days to figure this one out.

After looking at your current settings, it appears there's no need for you to make any changes.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

I know, I just spent 30 minutes or more, downloading and resizing over and over again until I went batty, but the background is now off to the side, not centered, and I can't seem to make it centred. Sorry for complaining, but I can't figure out what to do. I had to make the avatar narrower to get it crisp, should the background just be the same width as the avatar to work?

edit on 3-10-2010 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

If you make your avatar 170x240 instead of the 120x240, it will center and span the width of your background color/picture. If you need some help, let me know, I will give it a shot.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Simple question

"p" is for posts
"s" is for stars....

what is the "w"?

link   
reply to post by METACOMET

The "w" is for WATS.

ETA: The more stars and flags you have, the higher the WATS rating.

edit on 3-10-2010 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

link   

So...i adjusted my avatar/background. i am currently using a background set to 180X550. It is cutting it off at the bottom, and the avatar banner isn't matching in size to the post window. is this going to be corrected once the new guidelines are made policy? or do i need to fiddle with it some more to get it right?

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Thank you very much

BTW, I'm enjoying all these changes, mods. Looking good

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I have to recheck my avi size, I thinks its ok tho. I never choose a background, I like what ATS has to offer - I hope you stay with the black, very cool!

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
These changes have moved my avatar slightly left of center, a move to the far left would have been more accurate.

Seriously, everyone looks great now.

I see we have a place for our mood, any suggestions?

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Avatars & especially stoopid overly elaborate avatars are all based on ego & hubris ...
i sure ain't impressed or awed by the wasted effort to impress... blank minds all

lets put more effort into upgrading the content of posts and threads...
the crud that is mindless but reactionarily compelling on a visceral level...is just another
form of BS avatar (art) --- the term 'art' is being extremely generous

as much as i'm complaining--- i will continue to be a thorn-in-the-side, as thats my way of denying ignorance !

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Well I just had my Avatar redone by the King, and he was nice enough to make it in the new requirements.

If anybody wants to see what a new one should look like, well just glance to your left

~Keeper

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

Avatars & especially stoopid overly elaborate avatars are all based on ego & hubris ...
i sure ain't impressed or awed by the wasted effort to impress... blank minds all

lets put more effort into upgrading the content of posts and threads...
the crud that is mindless but reactionarily compelling on a visceral level...is just another
form of BS avatar (art) --- the term 'art' is being extremely generous

as much as i'm complaining--- i will continue to be a thorn-in-the-side, as thats my way of denying ignorance !

Well....art is a matter of personal taste.

One might argue that the above quoted post lacks in the substance which it calls for, choosing instead to presume that the authors own personal interests make up all that is worthwhile to pursue in ones life.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   

A common method used by many members to "workaround" the avatar size limitation is to use a mini-profile background image, and a clear-GIF avatar. We will continue to encourage this level of creativity in conjunction with the new avatar limitations.

Can someone share how this is done? Let me see if I'm close.

Create a picture of the proper background dimensions (180 by 550 pixels) and upload it to my Pictures area
Copy someone's (Skeptic Overlord's) "clear gif avatar image" to my Pictures area
Add urls for both to the appropriate areas in my Account settings

Is that right?

Thank you!

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Yes. Except that, you could simply use the URL of my "clear GIF" avatar, which is set to the 170x240 size... you don't need to copy it to your picture albums.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   

reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Yes. Except that, you could simply use the URL of my "clear GIF" avatar, which is set to the 170x240 size... you don't need to copy it to your picture albums.

when i use your clear gif, it cuts off more of my background.

my background is set to the required sizes (180X550). But it keeps cutting part of it off.

Any idea why?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join