It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Rules for Avatars and Mini-Profile Backgrounds (Updated Opening Post: 2016)

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

That is the goal. The avatar itself is pretty much a huge tear as you say. If by tear you mean translucent. If I were to remove the current bg I have all you would see is a lot of barely recognizable images laid upon a white bg, Only once placed upon a dark background does it show up.

So effectively, and if I can manage to keep the size down, the image will not look any different than it would if the animated star image was a background versus being part of the avatar image. All I have to do is take those two and make them one via layers and it will gain the same affect.

Will take a little work, hence the rainy day project. I am content until then. Thank you for the info

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I have kept my word, small starry background with little animation removed.

Second............. I have shown the way!

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

Very nice indeed, well done if I may be so bold to say

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

I like the ones where random stars "twinkle" intermittently. I still see a few around ATS. Not sure of their memory hogging..but they are unobtrusive. And pleasant to my eyes.

I have been slapped for an animated avi once. I didn't mind much, though. It sucked. I hadn't learned photoshop or macromedia flash yet, so what i made really stunk.

But now i am feeling the urge to create again. You know how it is. Comes and goes in phases.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Indeed, the funny thing about the moving star field background. I apparently wasn't the only one who found it adoring. After I placed it, I started randomly seeing other posters with it. I was at first like "hey that's mine" I even created a thread in reference to it or posted that inquiry on another thread (searched and couldn't find it though) lol. I eventually accepted it in that "it was just that good" if people are going out of there way to make it theirs as well.

Nevertheless, I feel (after going through this debauchery lol) that the ability to create an avatar to allow for more expressionism is taken with a grain of salt most bitterly by some members and staff and embraced by others. As long as you have a membership base as wide as ATS, this will always be the case for any rule passed down from the top, guess that can be said of the World in general as well.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Like I had said...yours was the best starfield I have seen. So i can agree with you completely. Did you not also have a moving magnifying glass, too?

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Your approval meets with my approval..

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

No, that was the beauty of it lol. All of the black portions in the avatar image I made translucent in photoshop, so the star field showed through those sections giving the illusion of being somewhat animated itself. Hopefully I can render the same affect by making it one image. Time to devote to it however is unfortunately not on my side at the present.

ETA: To give you an idea, this is the image w/out a bg...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d3ab820ef427.gif[/atsimg]

Ha, and I just realized my ATS banner portion is cut-off, perhaps this is going to take more attention than I thought.

edit on 4/26/2011 by UberL33t because: to add image example

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Is it really necessary to have the ATS banner on your avatar?
-- sort of like wearing an ATS "badge" to show your legit?

I'm asking even tho I it was part of some of my old avatars.

Now I'm a confirmed "independent" not too strongly affiliated with anybody around here.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I hope mine is ok..I dont know how to do any of this ..mine was done for me and put on here by a friend i will never figure it out

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

If I was your friend I would have used this one as the basis, and then built an ATS motif around it. But then that's just me.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/11434c2c942c.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t

If I was your friend I would have used this one as the basis, and then built an ATS motif around it. But then that's just me.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/11434c2c942c.jpg[/atsimg]

aww thats so cute!! I like that..but the one i have up is it going to be ok im a bit worryed

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Is your avatar supposed to be animated?? Nothing is moving on it with my browser. Looks nice. Nothing to worry about. It would be cool tho if the flames flickered.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Yes you are fine, you have no animation in your avatar, and more importantly, in your mini-background image either. You can rest easy

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by wayno

Is your avatar supposed to be animated?? Nothing is moving on it with my browser. Looks nice. Nothing to worry about. It would be cool tho if the flames flickered.

Thank you wayno! no its not animated but as soon the mod said changeing avatar i freaked i should have read it better silly me

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t

Yes you are fine, you have no animation in your avatar, and more importantly, in your mini-background image either. You can rest easy

Thank you UberL33t now i can sleep tonight lol

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Hey SO, it seems your avatar has gone a little wonky. For example,

Now check out one of your threads:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It clips,

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b8e452cc2318.png[/atsimg]
edit on 24-5-2011 by Xtraeme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
hi I uploaded my avatar about few hours ago!

Do I need to wait for an approval till it shows?

Thanks

UPDATE: problem solved! I am noob still sorry about that!
edit on 3-7-2011 by X2012PORTAL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
My avatar/username keeps showing up cut off at the top?

Tried resizing and that doesn't seem to be the issue... this was happening when SO was tweaking with things... but It's been fine for a week or two now, and then today it's cut off at the top again..

Any ideas?

Cheers

OK so now it's showing...

Hmmmm

No worries then I guess.
edit on 31/7/11 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join