It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING! Odds of Life on Newfound Earth-Size Planet '100 Percent,' Astronomer Says!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by badw0lf
Well why wasnt TAKEN the poster child for disclosure?

I will give an opinion on the pop culture question.

Taken was a absolutely brilliant miniseries, however, if the governments of the world came out shortly after and gave some sort of announcment of things as profound, with that series on peoples minds, heads would roll.

remember, that was not a happy go lucky show...there was all sorts of evil being pushed off in the form of secrecy...

this new show is showing the context that the government wants to come out and tell the people, but not before they fully understand the threat...that is forgivable in todays age.

just saying...not that I believe any of this...or disbelieve it..but that speculation is pretty easy to figure out.

That's a good point - and one that actually may still apply to The Event, episode 2 just aired, and people are still unsure what its about. It could go either way.

I just don't believe it would work to target a small audience within society in order to desensitise them via a common topic, for a real life event.

I just think the Event is trying to be the new lost... and it's lost me..

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by T0by

Originally posted by m0r1arty
I reckon it's apt to tie two threads that are related to each other together with this post.

In 2008 a laser-like signal was detected coming from Gliese 581e.

Good memory.
I think your post deserves a few more stars.

Marvelous more stars... but before you attribute the laser signals to Gliese 581e you might want to read my post... just a few back

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Does no one actually read anymore? :shk: The signals came from Tucanae

edit on 30-9-2010 by zorgon because: NO!!

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by KIZZZY
reply to post by SaturnFX

Double click on the video and it will take you to the you tube channel.

Look at the information section...thank you!

edit on 30-9-2010 by KIZZZY because: facelift!

Yep, your right...good call. this story is a year old.

So...why is this in the news...is it because they have uncovered something else about this planet then? studying it for a year tends to lead me to the belief that they have figured out a bit more in order to toss a 100% number up there.

they watching alien television by finding signals or something?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by wmd_2008
The ONLY reason to to excited about this is its in the HABITABLE zone NOTHING else no proof of life no proof of aliens its a good find because of its location to its sun thats all.

That is not enough

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
careful of the headline. It's not earth like... it's a round ball that's roughly the same distance from it's sun as we are from ours... roughly, mind you so is the moon - anyone though of that?

So what is the size of the planet in relation to the size of the sun it's orbit and it's distance from it?
The sun is smaller, but does that make it cooler? etc etc etc

I can find a lot of conjecture but nothing factual. Because a guy shows an illustration of an 'earthlike' planet we all go gaga. What if I proposed a painting of a planet that was brown and dead looking, would everyone looking at it go "ohh.. thats a shame". Are we all that gullible?

edit on 30-9-2010 by daggyz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

If that informations incorrect, sorry.
I'm at work and don't have time to fully read everything : )

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I have no idea why they ressurrected this old story.

I don't see anything new on the link raj provided.

Truthfully I thought ATS already had this somewhere!

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   

So...why is this in the news...is it because they have uncovered something else about this planet then?

Because NASA released a press release on this

NASA and NSF-Funded Research Finds First Potentially Habitable Exoplanet
www.nasa.gov...

You will notice the article of the OP quotes that page

it also says at NASA

The new findings are based on 11 years of observations of the nearby red dwarf

edit on 30-9-2010 by zorgon because: NO!!

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf
I just think the Event is trying to be the new lost... and it's lost me..

Donno, never watched lost, and after 2 episodes of this event, it has already hit my annoyance nerve.

I figured out by 2/3rds the way through episode one that the disclosure of the event will never come, and it will end up being endless "almost" moments of disclosure, cliffhangers followed by new seasons of failed attempts, etc etc etc.

I dont mind a build up, but when the whole premise is a endless build up is when it loses me. like the x-files..years of watching and end of the day...nothing whatsoever was ever proven...at least their stories were seperate so that you had a start and end point per episode so you didn't have to keep focused on the one annoying aspect of the endless useless buildup.

But we are getting a bit off topic here now.

btw, I never did watch more than 1 episode of lost, but people kept talking about it...they ever get off that damned island or what?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by daggyz
careful of the headline. It's not earth like... it's a round ball that's roughly the same distance from it's sun as we are from ours... roughly, mind you so is the moon - anyone though of that?

The research, sponsored by NASA and the National Science Foundation, placed the planet in an area where liquid water could exist on the planet's surface. If confirmed, this would be the most Earth-like exoplanet yet discovered and the first strong case for a potentially habitable one.

www.nasa.gov...

I am beginning to wonder if I am still on ATS

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Keep in mind, proper skeptics never dismissed the idea of alien lifeforms...they simply dismiss claims of them visiting here when it can be. This is a valueable service, else tons of people would be conned into every trick in the book a million times over..

I have no issues with proper skeptics.. but those I can count on my hands... I have no problem with trolls, because they make fools of themselves and are easy to ignore...

Its the ones that appear to have an agenda to attack any idea in any thread just because they can't think outside their little box that get to me

Underlined that old cliche! what if the answer is actually inside the box you people wouldn't see it! This can be seen by the fact that any tenuious story about possible aliens is given as disclosure soon , or best evidence yet or best video or picture etc etc.

Yes out there somewhere there is bound to be life I have NO DOUBT about that ,I dont think its close enough to visit us so until some evidence and I mean REAL evidence is in our hands (the box) lets just see!

edit on 30-9-2010 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Yes, but I had this on my You Tube January 2009 Zorgon. So it is not new at all! le shrug

Just checked....I knew ATS had to have this out already in 2009 geesh

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 30-9-2010 by KIZZZY because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Thanks for the correction Zorgon.

Seems odd though that he still mentions Gliese regarding communicating with them:

I’m not sure if you remember, last week we had National Science Week. And this magazine called Cosmos got everyone to send messages to them, which will then be sent to a planet called Gliese which 20 light years away. So they’re collecting all these messages, I think they’ve got around 20,000 of them, and they’re going to transmit them from the telescope at the Deep Space Institute in Canberra. So here is a message that’s going out from everyone, you know? There’s no censorship at all. See the rest at VBS.TV: RAGBIR BHATHAL: AUSSIE ALIEN HUNTER - ROYCE AKERS & ALEX DUNBAR | VBS.TV Blog

It may very well be a mistake made by press agencies but we do love a good conspiracy around here don't we

-m0r

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   

AH I see it now... I too had that info on my website but it was only 4 planets back then, as is stated in that thread that you linked. The update that makes it new is the addition of two more planets.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

AH I see it now... I too had that info on my website but it was only 4 planets back then, as is stated in that thread that you linked. The update that makes it new is the addition of two more planets.

I posted my you tube video on this planet on page 4. www.abovetopsecret.com...

Very same thing...you see? I think someone in editing at NASA made a mistake with the date!

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by m0r1arty
Seems odd though that he still mentions Gliese regarding communicating with them:

The message sent to Gliese is a different project,

At midday on Friday 28 August 2009, the 70-metre main antenna, known as DSS43, transmitted the signal to Gliese 581d at a frequency of 7.145 gigahertz and a power of 18 kilowatts.

www.hellofromearth.net...

It is confusing because both stories involve signals and it was the Australian News agency that first combined the two on that first report.

This one is a RADIO message from Canberra, the old NASA dish while the laser signal is from the SETI Optical team

edit on 30-9-2010 by zorgon because: No way I will tell

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Again thanks for expanding upon it and setting me correct.

Second lines are all the rage.

-m0r

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
If I may... I think the cliche "debunker" or "skeptic" doesn't even exist in this thread. There's a semantic and ideological misunderstanding I believe.

EVERYBODY HERE thinks life exists out there in the universe. Somewhere at least.

The people being labeled "debunkers" or "skeptics" are saying this is not a big deal. Why do they say that? It is because most Astronomy fans follow news like this very closely. We've been following this for a decade, ever since the very first exo-planets started being discovered. It's been a slow and steadily-growing number ever since then. We've seen all different types. Even before they were discovered, most astronomers expected them. All their theories predicted them.

And those same theories predicted a certain statistical liklihood of finding planets that were both similar in size to Earth, and in the Habitable Zone. Astronomers FULLY EXPECTED to find these planets, as both the technology, and their ingenuity improved.

So, that's where most of these "skeptics" or "debunkers", as they're being labeled, are coming from. If you're a big science nerd, this stuff isn't exactly earth-shattering because it was so fully expected in the first place. For them, it was just a matter of time.

Now I can't WAIT for some spectroscopic data on this planet, that will reveal whether it has an atmosphere, and if so what it's composed of. If it's got H2O, I'll get very excited =)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Very same thing...you see? I think someone in editing at NASA made a mistake with the date!

No its not quite the same
though they are using the same artwork If you listen to that video you posted at 1:53 they say they discovered THREE planets...and show it on the charts and give the mass of the three... that is the difference

The new info is merely adding more planets to the system

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Son of WillIf it's got H2O, I'll get very excited =)

Well in the meantime this one has water

Gigantic oceans of water girdle HD 28185 b
www.extrasolar.net...

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join