It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING! Odds of Life on Newfound Earth-Size Planet '100 Percent,' Astronomer Says!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Keep in mind, proper skeptics never dismissed the idea of alien lifeforms...they simply dismiss claims of them visiting here when it can be. This is a valueable service, else tons of people would be conned into every trick in the book a million times over.

now, cynics and ridicule idiots..sure...toss egg on their face as much as possible...the ones that give no opinion beyond "your crazy because you believe" nonsense..those people should be singled out and given the bully "Ah-hah!" laugh to...

and here on ATS, the second catagory isn't really noticable...a few morons whom stayed home from school, but otherwise...there are far more skeptics here than religoskeptics.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Once upon a time, the Earth was flat and in the center of the Universe..

As of 8 September 2010, astronomers have announced confirmed detections of 490 such planets

490 planets in our vicinity 490...

You hit the hadron right on the up quark there Zorgy...

490 already confirmed.... but *this* one is the deal breaker, because... uhhh... the invisible man in the sky's guy on earth has a muppet, dudes from the millitary are going crazy and giving away steak knives with glowing orbs, and the UN have made an UN intelligent decision once more.

Yahoo!

I'll be sitting on my roof for the next decade, just incase.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I know this is a bit trite, but it does beg to be brought up in light of this thread:

"THE EVENT" show. I have watched it thusfar, and it is clearly about extraterrestrial contact. Furthermore, it is opening a plotline where the aliens have been here, and known of by the government for 60 years. AND that those same aliens have been embedded in society for just as long. So far the show is unfolding just as many of us think the truth really is.

In light of all the more official soft disclosure events of the last month or two, this show seems a little perfectly timed, wouldn't you agree?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

There will never be separation between the deserving HA HA crowd and the deserving Stern Look crowd.

They are part and parcel.

I'd eat my guitar should an alien craft arrive and there was no doubt. But as it appears, I'll just be playing it.

Not to say the other dude on a world far far away isn't saying the same thing... it's not mutually exclusive.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by blamethegreys
I know this is a bit trite, but it does beg to be brought up in light of this thread:

"THE EVENT" show. I have watched it thusfar, and it is clearly about extraterrestrial contact. Furthermore, it is opening a plotline where the aliens have been here, and known of by the government for 60 years. AND that those same aliens have been embedded in society for just as long. So far the show is unfolding just as many of us think the truth really is.

In light of all the more official soft disclosure events of the last month or two, this show seems a little perfectly timed, wouldn't you agree?

Well why wasnt TAKEN the poster child for disclosure?

It at least was semi decent and did not fall on the trail of suffering Lost fans, in the hopes to ensnare them in it's rubbish trap to suck their life dry before it's cancelled or ends in disappointment...

Here's the tip - only mad people and boobs think the Event is disclosure.... it's on the TV. It's as much disclosure as Stargate was to get us ready for wormholes and... well I still want my nice tok'ra symbiote so I can live hundreds of years... to finally enslave you puny humans..

edit on 30/9/2010 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

I find people whom catagorically state ET will never come here and has never been here are in the same boat as people whom believe a space ghost named God gives a rats arse about them masturbating to thoughts of their neighbors wife.

same boat...complete and total religious mumbo jumbo...those are the people that, once you find their belief, you can take advantage of to high heaven.

Keep a open mind, keep it open both ways, and simply see what is revealed without a belief system demanding you frame it into a context you understand.

Right now, we have some credible people saying interesting things...this is no different, but time does not reduce the implications of their words...

We have work on various quantum fields that could one day be used to achieve FTL travel without breaking the laws of physics

We live in a vast universe of mind boggling chances

and now we have found one of our neighboring planet is in a perfect zone for potential life..enough that people are potentially putting their academic career on the line

"Personally, given the ubiquity and propensity of life to flourish wherever it can, I would say, my own personal feeling is that the chances of life on this planet are 100 percent," said Steven Vogt, a professor of astronomy and astrophysics at the University of California, Santa Cruz, during a press briefing today. "I have almost no doubt about it."

1+1=2 of course, and it must equal 5 before your guitar barbecue comes into play, but with us at 2 and more numbers on the way, are you absolutely comfortable catagorically stating it will never happen?
really?

and if yes, I am selling a book on why aliens will never come..how many shall I put you down for?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by rajaten
This is the greatest story since we landed on the moon. Disclosure is imminent with the UN and Vatican onboard, is it time to re-evaluate your skepticism to realign yourself with the present reality??

"An Earth-size planet has been spotted orbiting a nearby star at a distance that would makes it not too hot and not too cold comfortable enough for life to exist, researchers announced today (Sept. 29).
If confirmed, the exoplanet, named Gliese 581g, would be the first Earth-like world found residing in a star's habitable zone a region where a planet's temperature could sustain liquid water on its surface."

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Will we be led into a false flag for an alien invasion? Or are TPTB deciding to grace the public with the worlds most sacred and valued treasure, that of the knowledge which has been stolen from us for so long?

Is the quickening truly at hand?...

edit on 29-9-2010 by rajaten because: Bcos

This is old news Raj, I hate to tell ya. I had this up Jan 2009 on my You Tube.

I think what it is time for is for YOU to re-evelate the skeptics. We are all

looking for life outside our solar system. What do you do selective reading?

I believe there is life out there somewhere in our Universe and so do many others.

I am just waiting for them to find it.

But...what you have here is old hat! Sorry!

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
The thing is,even if the little grey men DONT land,probe our butts,and then give us the secret to warp speed,this is STILL one of the most amazing discoveries of all time. My god....I remember as a kid in the 80's being taught in science class that Earth was most likely the only planet in the universe capable of supporting life(and even as a kid I knew that was a crock...). The fact that we've found-for sure-one of the so-called Goldilocks Planets is beyond amazing. To know that there are planets in the universe with atmosphere and water and life-ANY LIFE-is a great step for humanity. Baby steps folks....we've got to get people use to the ideas of microbes living on other planets before we can get them to start accepting the idea of aliens.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf
Well why wasnt TAKEN the poster child for disclosure?

I will give an opinion on the pop culture question.

Taken was a absolutely brilliant miniseries, however, if the governments of the world came out shortly after and gave some sort of announcment of things as profound, with that series on peoples minds, heads would roll.

remember, that was not a happy go lucky show...there was all sorts of evil being pushed off in the form of secrecy...

this new show is showing the context that the government wants to come out and tell the people, but not before they fully understand the threat...that is forgivable in todays age.

just saying...not that I believe any of this...or disbelieve it..but that speculation is pretty easy to figure out.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I reckon it's apt to tie two threads that are related to each other together with this post.

In 2008 a laser-like signal was detected coming from Gliese 581e.

This signal is supposedly intelligent and has sparked much discussion.

This may be too close to the sun of that system to sustain what we'd consider habitable life but it could just as easily be a separate solar powered communications beacon or whatever other stuff we can try to imagine up.

Point being there are already a lot of eyes on and around that system - makes for good pop corn eating.

-m0r

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by KIZZZY

Cool video, however unless I missed it, they didn't say where it was.

from what Zorgon has said, 490 planets in the neighborhood have since been detected that have potential...this latest find being far more likely.

so, a new player in a old game may be the story here...

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
The thing is...this is a planet with a red sun. If there IS any life there and they come to visit us,they would surely have powers and abilities far beyond mortal men thanks to our yellow sun. They would be more powerful than our locomotives...faster than our speeding bullets....they might even be able to leap tall building in a single bound. We'd all better practice kneeling before Zod gets here.....

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Double click on the video and it will take you to the you tube channel.

Look at the information section...thank you!

edit on 30-9-2010 by KIZZZY because: facelift!

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by rajaten
reply to post by OldDragger

Only time will tell.

Time will tell.

Time is been telling you for more than 2000 years.

But for most people this is a joke and they don't take it seriously enough cause time will tell? Have anybody heard that expression in Spanish, "At warned War no body dies"?

I've been telling you people that time is really short and to embrace your self to God and Repent from you sins because the end of days is near.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoreTheFacts
First off, the scientist that gave the OP an overly sensational and ignorant thread title didn't make this statement as a scientist. He made it on personal feelings, beliefs and desires.

Oh great... now your debunking scientists and calling them ignorant, when all along your stance has been UFO researchers are bunk and need to look more to science...

We do not yet have the capabilities to come to any conclusion regarding this, or any number of other planets out there. I know that sucks for some of you to hear, and some don't want to believe it because that makes their life boring or something.....but it is reality.

The Reality is your off in your own little world, and for some reason have this need to share your misery. The REALITY is that its human nature to get excited about new discoveries. Not too long ago man didn't even believe other planets existed, now we CONFIRM 490, indicating that planets may be the norm rather than the exception...

People speculate, scientists speculate, even NASA speculates..

The research, sponsored by NASA and the National Science Foundation, placed the planet in an area where liquid water could exist on the planet's surface. If confirmed, this would be the most Earth-like exoplanet yet discovered and the first strong case for a potentially habitable one.

To astronomers, a "potentially habitable" planet is one that could sustain life, not necessarily one where humans would thrive. Habitability depends on many factors, but having liquid water and an atmosphere are among the most important.

www.nasa.gov...

There is no reason to get excited about finding a planet in a habitable zone of any star. We all knew it was going to happen sooner or late with the shear rate of current planet discovery. So yeah, no big deal

Well it's obvious it's no big deal to YOU, but is that a reason to be so nasty to people who DO get excited about the possibility? Seems you are in the minority... and yeah, I just bet your a blast at parties

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippo

Originally posted by OldDragger
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

Fragile belief system! Har har

Same dumb cliche's that are allways thrown at GASP non "believers"!
Heard this for decades, you got nothing!
Yeah, mass suicides!

Really you people parrot the EXACT SAME thing that's been said since the 1950's! EXACTLY the same as the plot of a 50's flying saucer movie! And you think it new and radical and "awake" Hilarious!
Kids crack me up!
It's trite and cliche'd!
Probably the least likley explanation!

And what have you been saying?
All you do is go into conspiracy threads and deny anything and everything.
You don't use rational thought, you just deny anything that isn't shown straight to your face.
You're the worst of the debunkers, the kind who just deny because they haven't been told its true by the people they like.

You do the same on the other side of the fence EXACTLY the same you believe what you are told
whats funny is you DONT even see that!

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
reply to post by badw0lf

I find people whom catagorically state ET will never come here and has never been here are in the same boat as people whom believe a space ghost named God gives a rats arse about them masturbating to thoughts of their neighbors wife.

God damn that flying spaghetti monster. Oops, I think I stood on your opinion, sorry.. I'll try harder next time

Keep a open mind, keep it open both ways, and simply see what is revealed without a belief system demanding you frame it into a context you understand.

Nah, I'll keep a level head - one that does not require me to go insane in order to justify things that are simply not even on the table. A planet 20 light years away, is NOT an opening for disclosure.... Even if it has monkeys on it. Or flying monkeys even.. Or flying monkeys with guitars...

Right now, we have some credible people saying interesting things...this is no different, but time does not reduce the implications of their words...

We have work on various quantum fields that could one day be used to achieve FTL travel without breaking the laws of physics

We live in a vast universe of mind boggling chances

and now we have found one of our neighboring planet is in a perfect zone for potential life..enough that people are potentially putting their academic career on the line

"Personally, given the ubiquity and propensity of life to flourish wherever it can, I would say, my own personal feeling is that the chances of life on this planet are 100 percent," said Steven Vogt, a professor of astronomy and astrophysics at the University of California, Santa Cruz, during a press briefing today. "I have almost no doubt about it."

1+1=2 of course, and it must equal 5 before your guitar barbecue comes into play, but with us at 2 and more numbers on the way, are you absolutely comfortable catagorically stating it will never happen?
really?

What on earth was all that in aid of? The general public, or some sort of indoctrination for my eyes only?

Since you quoted ME and took a swing, it's obvious you did not read my previous posts.. Or have a muscleman situation going on with the OP. I dunno, he's saying one thing which I disagree with, and instead of dissecting it rationally, you're trying to throw the book at me? Lmao..

I wrote that book... I'm just tired of the addendum's.. oO

Here's a recap. I believe it is entirely arrogant of humans to assume we are alone in this cosmos. It is also arrogant to assume that we are the only intelligent beings. These things I accept as given, knowing full well the astonishing numbers of planets that *MAY* support life... Billions upon Billions.

BUT they are not going to arrive now that we've be told news of 1 planet that *MAY* support life. Which was the OP's opinion in his OP and subsequent posts.

Have they been here? From another planet, I can only speculate and say No. The evidence is lacking at best, but still compelling to consider. Which is why your preconceived notion of what I believe is faulty. Has there been definite evidence? No. Only a fool would assume 1+1 = 5. That is merely fact. If you claim you're at 2 - Evidence required, or else fraid not.

WILL they come? Perhaps. Possible. If they do indeed exist, I think it is inevitable if either one of our planets gains sufficient technology, we'd seek out somewhere that life exists because we'd be too stubborn not to make ourselves known. I do not see this happening in any of OUR lifetimes.... as I said.

So my mind is open to the event, but I'm not taking the evidence presented thus far as PROOF. But you'd know that had you read my previous posts. Oh well..

and if yes, I am selling a book on why aliens will never come..how many shall I put you down for?

1, so I can give it to you as a present when they dont.

Oh and 1+1 does = 2 - no amount of wishing that they'll appear tomorrow with roses in their teeth wearing a sombrero and with a donkey betwixt their legs, or tentacles, will change that. Sorry..

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Keep in mind, proper skeptics never dismissed the idea of alien lifeforms...they simply dismiss claims of them visiting here when it can be. This is a valueable service, else tons of people would be conned into every trick in the book a million times over..

I have no issues with proper skeptics.. but those I can count on my hands... I have no problem with trolls, because they make fools of themselves and are easy to ignore...

Its the ones that appear to have an agenda to attack any idea in any thread just because they can't think outside their little box that get to me

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by m0r1arty
I reckon it's apt to tie two threads that are related to each other together with this post.

In 2008 a laser-like signal was detected coming from Gliese 581e.

This signal is supposedly intelligent and has sparked much discussion.

This may be too close to the sun of that system to sustain what we'd consider habitable life but it could just as easily be a separate solar powered communications beacon or whatever other stuff we can try to imagine up.

Point being there are already a lot of eyes on and around that system - makes for good pop corn eating.

-m0r

Good memory.
I think your post deserves a few more stars.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

The ONLY reason to to excited about this is its in the HABITABLE zone NOTHING else no proof of life no proof of aliens its a good find because of its location to its sun thats all.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join