It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING! Odds of Life on Newfound Earth-Size Planet '100 Percent,' Astronomer Says!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoreTheFacts

Ahh, ITF, there you go breaking up the gloat-party again. Don't you realize were literally only minutes away from full disclosure of intelligent aliens who are visiting us now that we've found an earth-like planet in a similar orbit?

They've basically just landed in your backyard and you just refuse to see it. Hopeless!

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Zorgon, it's actually six planets now known to be orbiting Gliese 581. They also found another similar sized planet but just outside the habitable zone (Gliese 581f).

Here's another comparison pic;

Gliese 581f looks pretty far away from it's star but it's actually closer to it than we are to our own sun. But the star Gliese 581 is only 30% the mass of our sun, so I guess you'll have to be alot closer to get the goods.

Like that Gliese 581c picture too

edit on 29-9-2010 by FermiFlux because: To insert picture.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Maybe this will encourage NASA or another space agency to put all their powers toward developing the technology to get there and check it out, considering we know for a fact this world isn't going to be habitable for too much longer, and even if it were the sun would fry us, so I think such research is the single most important thing we could focus on.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigOrange
Maybe this will encourage NASA or another space agency to put all their powers toward developing the technology to get there and check it out, considering we know for a fact this world isn't going to be habitable for too much longer, and even if it were the sun would fry us, so I think such research is the single most important thing we could focus on.

Where did you get your information from, the New Zoo Revue? Our sun and this planet will be around for a considerably longer time that you perport in your statement. Or is it that you somehow consider 7 billion years a 'short time'

edit on 29-9-2010 by Heyyo_yoyo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoreTheFacts
First off, the scientist that gave the OP an overly sensational and ignorant thread title didn't make this statement as a scientist. He made it on personal feelings, beliefs and desires.

There is not a scientist on the planet that would make that statement based on the currently available information. We do not yet have the capabilities to come to any conclusion regarding this, or any number of other planets out there. I know that sucks for some of you to hear, and some don't want to believe it because that makes their life boring or something.....but it is reality.

There is no reason to get excited about finding a planet in a habitable zone of any star. We all knew it was going to happen sooner or late with the shear rate of current planet discovery. So yeah, no big deal. The big deal comes when we develop better equipment and can get more detail. Then the fun begins.

There is no reason to get excited?!

You've got be kidding right? This is on par with figuring out that the earth is not flat.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Kewl now that system has FIVE planets

Credit ESO
www.eso.org...

Red dwarf star Gliese 581
as seen from the surface of extrasolar planet Gliese 581 c

Credit: Walter Myers
www.arcadiastreet.com...

I swear, the first thing that popped into my head when I read your post was "Holy crap, we've found Krypton!!".

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by rajaten
reply to post by OldDragger

Only time will tell.

Time will tell.

Sadly, by the time the plants on that planet evolve into sentient beings capable of observing our little planet, and develop the means to float here in their intergalactic greenhouses, we'll have annihilated ourselves in the 28'th world war, circa 3561ad.

Or, should I say, it might be life Jim, but... it's only a bug perhaps...

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippo
And what have you been saying?
All you do is go into conspiracy threads and deny anything and everything.
You don't use rational thought, you just deny anything that isn't shown straight to your face.
You're the worst of the debunkers, the kind who just deny because they haven't been told its true by the people they like.

Hah What?

It's one thing to say there might be life on a planet similar to ours, but hey there is also life in the Amazon.... It takes a lot more than mere Life to create something that is going to pop over and say Gidday Bloke, just thought I'd crash at your planet for a cuppa on the way to Zeta Reticuli..

I think thats the point being argued by OldDragger.

And I agree with him. I don't disagree that there is definitely a planet out there with life on it.

But if you're expecting 'disclosure' 'first contact' etc just from news like this, I'll place 1000 credits on not in our lifetime. And sadly I know I wont be around to collect...

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Just found this on the NASA site.
Seems it's official.
www.nasa.gov...

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
The newly discovered planet, Gliese 581g (there has to be a better name for it, somewhere!) is likely tidally locked to its star; one side always facing the star, the other always facing away. Given good atmospheric circulation, the temperatures should even out somewhat, but there would still be range, estimated at 160 degrees to minus 25 degrees F. Sort of like having one hot pole and one cold one, but both on the equator, and opposite each other on the planet. It might be quite pleasant between the two extremes. The star Gliese 581, also known as HO Librae and Wolf 562 is thought to be between 7 and 11 billion years old, making it somewhat, to much older than our Sun, at 5 billion. Plenty of time for even intelligent life to have evolved there. It is a dim, reddish star that uses up its fuel very slowly. It will exist many billions of years after our Sun has expired. Ross

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by UFO Partisan
The planet is only 20 light years away. That's just down the street on the galactic scale

And then?

Are we now thinking that we can travel even 1 light year?

40 odd thousand years is still basically the deep end of the pool for toddlers.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Who knows? I sure don't. But what I see in the last two weeks alone is a great trend rising. This discovery comes tight on the heels of other stories of great magnitude being covered by the MSM:

1) The UN appoint an ambassador for first contact!......

www.news.com.au...

2) U.S. Nuclear Weapons Have Been Compromised by Unidentified Aerial Objects leading to an event at the Press Club in DC that was covered by the MSM

www.reuters.com...

3) Vatican’s astronomer says he’d love to ‘baptise an alien’.....

newsfeed.time.com...

Now if we tie in this sudden dramatic change in the exposure level of the ET topic with the second article possibly targeted for release to induce fear surrounding nuclear vulnerabilities with the Iran Nuclear Facility Stuxnet threat: www.aftonbladet.se...

I see a carefully designed string of events designed to lead us towards accepting certain actions by certain agendas for the future. Specifically I see this fuelling the empowerment of the US government to implement their 'Kill Switch' for the internet for control and tyranny purposes. And the fear that is being artificially built surrounding nuclear facilities will facilitate war with Iran.
(Internet kill switch:
www.smh.com.au...

Stuxnet vulnerability: www.techworld.com.au... )

Possible wild card: False flag event using an Alien invasion or attack on our nukes to justify large scale military deployment or the kill switch...

I see threads being tied together in blood and fear with the chess pieces being put in place for a carefully controlled agenda leading up to 2012.

edit on 29-9-2010 by rajaten because: link

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
umm.... isnt that a bit of a stupid comment?

''theres a 100% chance of life''

there's a 100% chance I'll win lotto and marry Cal Wilson.....

unfortunately, its not very likely.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Here is a video that goes along with this subject...

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

Scientists Report Most Earth-Like Planet Ever

UFOs heading for earth?

Doom imminent?

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldDragger
reply to post by hippomchippo

Here's what I wrote in another thread.
This illustrates perfectly the problem with lack of perpective! It's been 100 years since the "MSM" first dealt with the idea! 5 years!? Sorry, but the idea is only shocking and mind blowing to the very young that are just discovering things! If you really study the idea you will find that out. I was a kid in the 1950's, EVERYBODY was talking about Flyning Saucers. It ain't new! Trouble is, it hasn't progressed since then! Maybe when you see the same thing over and over and over and over for fifty years you might begin to wonder!
The bottom line is NOTHING EVER HAPPENS!

This is a cool discovery. It's foolish of the astronomer to say 100%.
It's also foolish and completley irrational to connect this with "disclosure".
Sorry you can't understand that, sorry you don't know the difference between believing, wishing and hoping sci fi will be true, and real astronomy and science.
Believers
are the irrational ones.

This may be a little off topic but I needed to state my opinion on this matter. While your statement is correct in some ways, I must ask. When you were a little kid, was the vatican supporting the idea that life out there is probable and that it is okay for us to believe that? When you were a little kid, did the UN appoint an official ambassador to space incase we ever come in contact with ET's? To me, these are the recent events that really stand out and make you wonder if we are really being conditioned for something and the timing of the ex military's statements at the press club only make you wonder more.

edit on 29-9-2010 by Final Solstice because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
That's not a planet, that's a Chinese lantern! Jeeez. Nah, on a serious note, just because their is a planet in the Goldilocks zone doesn't mean that there is life on it and it certainly doesn't mean that any possible life is intelligent. However, even if these two conditions are met, it doesn't mean that they are visiting Earth or the space around us.

What if it is a dead planet? What if it isn't a dead planet but life evolved in a manner which didn't produce intelliegence? What if it did produce intelligence, but only of limited bearing, such as the African or South American tribes who have yet to invent the wheel?

My point being that a planet in the Goldilocks zone doesn't necessarily mean life and if it does, it doesn't necessarily mean intelligent life and if that does, it certainly doesn't mean intelligent that has the capacity to escape their own gravity. So, even if their is such a planet, it is still a long shot that anything is there... or here.

--airspoon

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
whole gliese star system is very promising, c, d, and g all sit in the goldilocks zone.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
That's not a planet, that's a Chinese lantern! Jeeez. Nah, on a serious note, just because their is a planet in the Goldilocks zone doesn't mean that there is life on it and it certainly doesn't mean that any possible life is intelligent. However, even if these two conditions are met, it doesn't mean that they are visiting Earth or the space around us.

What if it is a dead planet? What if it isn't a dead planet but life evolved in a manner which didn't produce intelliegence? What if it did produce intelligence, but only of limited bearing, such as the African or South American tribes who have yet to invent the wheel?

My point being that a planet in the Goldilocks zone doesn't necessarily mean life and if it does, it doesn't necessarily mean intelligent life and if that does, it certainly doesn't mean intelligent that has the capacity to escape their own gravity. So, even if their is such a planet, it is still a long shot that anything is there... or here.

--airspoon

Thats all a possibility. Of course then it is also possible that it does contain life.

Maybe even intelligent life millions of years ahead of us in evolution.

Maybe even Intelligent life million years ahead of us that has mastered the physics of the impossible including time travel, teleportation and harnessing zero point energy.

Maybe even intelligent life that is so far ahead of us that they are able to bend space and time and enter and exit different dimensions in which we are not capable of understanding let alone seeing or detecting.

Maybe even intelligent life that built Puma Punku, The Great Pyramids of Giza and The Sphinx, The Nazca Plains and Atlantis.

Maybe they are the evolutionary force that designed mankind thousands of years ago using genetic manipulation we cannot even comprehend...

Speculation works both ways
I say the glass may be half full

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by FermiFlux
Zorgon, it's actually six planets now known to be orbiting Gliese 581. They also found another similar sized planet but just outside the habitable zone (Gliese 581f).

Yeah... when I posted that I was on the way to the bank so didn't read the article yet
Thanks for posting that system image. Seems I have work to do again

PLANETS, PLANETS EVERYWHERE

2M1207b
Astronomers Confirm the First Image of a Planet Outside of Our Solar System

www.thelivingmoon.com...

55 Cancri - The First Five-Planet System
Scientists Discover Record Fifth Planet Orbiting Nearby Star
55 Cancri is located 41 light-years away in the constellation Cancer

Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech

www1.nasa.gov...
www.thelivingmoon.com...

Gliese 436b - Neptune-sized extrasolar planet
"Hot Ice" Planet Discovered, Covered in "Solid Water," Experts Say
The "hot ice world" is about 30 light-years from the sun.
www.thelivingmoon.com...

Gliese 436c - Mysterious "Super Earth" Is Smallest Known Exoplanet?
www.thelivingmoon.com...

Gliese 876b - Smallest Exoplanet Found

Image credit: Trent Schindler, National Science Foundation

www.thelivingmoon.com...

HD 188753b - This Planet Has Three Suns
The stellar trio and its planet are about 149 light-years from Earth

Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech

HD 189733b - Water, water everywhere - on an extrasolar planet
They targeted planet HD 189733b, 63 light-years away, in the constellation Vulpecula.
www.thelivingmoon.com...

HD 209458b - Planet Osiris - in Pegasus Constellation
Sun-like star HD 209458 in the constellation Pegasus, some 150 light-years from Earth's solar system
Atmospheric water vapor.

Transiting Osiris Image credit: Copyright © by John Whatmough

www.thelivingmoon.com...

HD 28185b - Oceans in the Air
Gigantic oceans of water girdle HD 28185 b. But these oceans are not liquid, they are clouds of ice crystals.

Image credit: Copyright © by John Whatmough

www.thelivingmoon.com...

OGLE-2005-BLG-390Lb - Discovery of a Cool Planet of 5.5 Earth Masses
www.thelivingmoon.com...

OGLE-TR-L9b - A Planet Around a Hot Star
www.thelivingmoon.com...

Upsilon Andromedae - A Triple-Planet System Orbiting Upsilon Andromedae
www.thelivingmoon.com...

Image credit: Artist's Rendering by Sylvain Korzennik

FULL SIZE IMAGE

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>