It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING! Odds of Life on Newfound Earth-Size Planet '100 Percent,' Astronomer Says!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Am i the only one who misses where it says theres 100% chance of life?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by Son of WillIf it's got H2O, I'll get very excited =)

Well in the meantime this one has water

Gigantic oceans of water girdle HD 28185 b
www.extrasolar.net...

I am truly sorry to be such a pain in the tuchas, I really am but:

"An Earth-size planet has been spotted orbiting a nearby star at a distance that would makes it not too hot and not too cold comfortable enough for life to exist, researchers announced today (Sept. 29).
If confirmed, the exoplanet, named Gliese 581g, would be the first Earth-like world found residing in a star's habitable zone a region where a planet's temperature could sustain liquid water on its surface."

...as you can see Raj is naming "Gliese 581g" as the planet newly discovered.

That is my point, this is not new.

I think YOU should have opened a thread with all the other information as you seem to be

doing all the work.

edit on 30-9-2010 by KIZZZY because: facelift

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by thetruedank
Am i the only one who misses where it says theres 100% chance of life?

"Personally, given the ubiquity and propensity of life to flourish wherever it can, I would say, my own personal feeling is that the chances of life on this planet are 100 percent," said Steven Vogt, a professor of astronomy and astrophysics at the University of California, Santa Cruz,

Cocky sod that he is.

Hope he's right, even if only at a microbiological level.

-m0r

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldDragger
I was a kid in the 1950's, EVERYBODY was talking about Flyning Saucers. It ain't new! Trouble is, it hasn't progressed since then! Maybe when you see the same thing over and over and over and over for fifty years you might begin to wonder!
The bottom line is NOTHING EVER HAPPENS!

This.

I'm 24 and have been interested in UFO's for 2,5 years only, seen remarkable 'evidence' etc, but recently figured nothing ever happens, and you just don't know, and people cry about the evil government covering up things because they don't play along to their dream.

I also want the UFO's to be real, but... I just don't know!! Remarkable stories, yes, BUT officially it's still a laughable folk tale. Great mystery, that's for sure.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

I figured out by 2/3rds the way through episode one that the disclosure of the event will never come, and it will end up being endless "almost" moments of disclosure, cliffhangers followed by new seasons of failed attempts, etc etc etc.

I dont mind a build up, but when the whole premise is a endless build up is when it loses me. like the x-files..years of watching and end of the day...nothing whatsoever was ever proven...at least their stories were seperate so that you had a start and end point per episode so you didn't have to keep focused on the one annoying aspect of the endless useless buildup.

But we are getting a bit off topic here now.

btw, I never did watch more than 1 episode of lost, but people kept talking about it...they ever get off that damned island or what?

Your opinion of The Event sums up how lost went perfectly.

They ignored all of the sub-plots that made the show watchable, in order to sum it up in a casual "Oh they were dead, it was all purgatory, lets all go into the light....."

Ugh, but it certainly dragged the kleenex crowd into it - they made it so soppy you forgot about the first 6 seasons all together!

Yeesh!!

Back on topic however !!
I think we agree more than we don't.. I just consider myself jaded is all !

edit on 30/9/2010 by badw0lf because: fixed quote tags

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by KIZZZY

"An Earth-size planet has been spotted orbiting a nearby star at a distance that would makes it not too hot and not too cold comfortable enough for life to exist, researchers announced today (Sept. 29).
If confirmed, the exoplanet, named Gliese 581g, would be the first Earth-like world found residing in a star's habitable zone a region where a planet's temperature could sustain liquid water on its surface."

I think the picture provided with the 2 moons shows ice crystals in an atmosphere and not actual water on the planets surface. There was a caption with the picture that told me that. So I'm guessing not in the habitable zone and not containing surface water means that Gliese 581g would indeed be "the first Earth-like world found residing in a star's habitable zone a region where a planet's temperature could sustain liquid water on its surface".

Only from reading this thread though and extracting the information presented.

-m0r

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   
all i can say is

AH-HA!

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

edit on 9/30/2010 by semperfortis because: Mod Edit

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by FireMoon
reply to post by IgnoreTheFacts

It a planet of an Earth like size sitting in the so called *Goldilocks* zone. That means there is a huge chance there could be water. If there's water on a planet in the Goldilocks zone the chances are, under current main stream exobiological thought, there should be life. It might be only single celled, but the chances of life being found there are considered large enough for the guy to make his statement knowing he is backed up by current thought.

Remember its NOT just water and the right temperature required for life!!!! if only it were that simple thats the problem with people on here next week expect the first zoomed in pictures showing the cities on this planet.

Its a good find and MAY be habitable and MAY and thats a big may have life!

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by daggyz
careful of the headline. It's not earth like... it's a round ball that's roughly the same distance from it's sun as we are from ours... roughly, mind you so is the moon - anyone though of that?

The research, sponsored by NASA and the National Science Foundation, placed the planet in an area where liquid water could exist on the planet's surface. If confirmed, this would be the most Earth-like exoplanet yet discovered and the first strong case for a potentially habitable one.

www.nasa.gov...

I am beginning to wonder if I am still on ATS

I hope you would think so Zman.. Considering it's all Possibles and Potentials...

If you look at the original image you posted, Venus is in the glory zone for us also.. Yet, we know.. Well..

Let's not debate that..

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by KIZZZY
I think YOU should have opened a thread with all the other information as you seem to be
doing all the work.

Nah gotta leave some stars for others

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf Yet, we know.. Well..
Let's not debate that..

Good Idea... I would hate to have to drag that Ambassador from Venus Val Thor into this

Now this thread ought to be fun

Stephen Hawking may be right about marauding space aliens,
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 30-9-2010 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by wmd_2008
The ONLY reason to to excited about this is its in the HABITABLE zone NOTHING else no proof of life no proof of aliens its a good find because of its location to its sun thats all.

That is not enough

Yes its in the right zone but you need a hell of a lot of other things to fall into place before life appears some on here think all thats required is water, temprature and time but other things have to happen even you zorgon must agree with that!

Nice to see you back even though we clash often what about mike when is he coming back!

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Oh if only... Valiant on ATS. How could we even know... I rekon he's been here, posing as John Titor on the odd occasion..

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
It's how close this planet is that facinates me, 20 lightyears is nothing whatsoever on the scale of the universe. I used to think any planets hosting life would be situated hundreds & thousands of lightyears away from Earth, but this one isn't. This one is so close we could very probably work to one day send a message, or even probes out there.

It is more than possible that if intelligent life were to exist here, they know about Earth and may even have traveled here before. 20 lightyears could mean 20 lightyears more advanced than us, it might not sound a lot, but if they've got simlar thought processes to us, and are able to build spacecraft like we can, then it could just be a starting point for the origin of UFOs too.

Also when we think of an 'alien' most of us automaticaly picture almond eyed grey aliens, and flying saucers, what if the 'aliens' were infact human, or of a very simlar genetic build to us? What would that mean for us I wonder to know that were are not just the only life out here, but not the only human life.

Things we should keep in mind are this planet orbits a red dwarf, so straight away the climates are going to be much cooler than here on Earth, but perhaps not cold enough to rule out life. It is probably warm enough to sustain humans, and perhaps other more adapted life. Life here would of course have evolved to suit these climates. I'd love to know what the daylight given by a red dwarf is like too, I doubt it is as light as our days, and the nights are probably a lot longer.

edit on 30-9-2010 by The Chez because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:29 AM
link   
This type of information is just drip drip dripping out isnt it just of late?

Makes you think...

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
geez this week alone we've appointed an ambassador for et contact, high ranking "retired" USAF officials advising of UFO buzzing nuke silos on CNN / Press Club and now a neighboring earth like planet in the habitable zone of its solar system.

Pretty cool week.

What's this elephant in my room doing?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by one_small_step
What's this elephant in my room doing?

It's hootering because you wont let it out.

You can't keep elephants in a house man... it's illegal, and also .. impossible.

You know, elephants have long memories. I bet you in 10 years it will still be there hootering and thinking "10 years, 10 long years... I'm gunna stomp you, stomp you good I am!!"

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   
well i think that astronomer got a bit over excited

but its nice to see ufo people take an interest in real science.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   
*SPOILER ALERT*
The ending to Lost was that it was all a dream... a dream being had by a dog.

On a serious note, am I the only person that hopes we find life on another planet so I can eat it? Not intelligent life mind you, but I am curious to find out if there are delicious creatures out there waiting in anticipation for me to consume them. When I can't sleep I often wonder if I'll ever get a chance to eat a tasty Gnargnar Beast or something. I mean, just imagine all the wonderful things we can eat!

I also wonder sometimes if we won't find some sort of super predator that will be so ridiculously good at what it does that there will be protests about bringing them to Earth for research. Then on some fateful day it gets out and starts rampaging and we have to kill it with fire but after it dies we realize we are the real monsters.

I also didn't know elephants "hooter". I learned something new... That made me wonder if it will be possible that we will find fruit that sings to us cause it wants us to eat it or it changes colors and what not to keep our attention.

Alright, I'm hungry now...

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by rajaten
This is the greatest story since we landed on the moon. Disclosure is imminent with the UN and Vatican onboard, is it time to re-evaluate your skepticism to realign yourself with the present reality??

edit on 29-9-2010 by rajaten because: Bcos

Disclosure is just like the second coming. Everyone is saying its going to happen today, but it never happens. Wake up people... the only way anything will get disclosed is if WE catch them at something. They aren't preparing us for anything. They wish to keep us as sheeple for as long as humanly possible.

Disclosure... don't make me laugh!

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join