It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revealing Self-Test!! (Fun, too.)

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Okay, I agree that it was a fun exercise in rational thinking but when do we find out how we scored? Furthermore, who is going to be grading us?

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
So many answers already. I only read a couple before posting and they did not influence me.

Here's my thinking. A refused to build a raft for C because he wanted to fix the radio. However, B was able to make a raft in what seems to be a rather short time. Perhaps A is not as handy in raft making, but I conceive that A could have set aside his radio work to make a raft had he wanted to. He valued his own idea more than a person in obvious distress. Had I been A, I would have set aside the radio and made a raft for C, then gone back to my radio AFTER I knew that C had made it to the island (in other words, not only would I build it, but I'd go with her across). I think that is the properly caring answer, and A does not approach it. My value here is "people are more valuable than things." Perhaps we will never get off these islands? We must be good to each other in any case. Of course, there may be more to it. Perhaps A knows C to be a trifling immature pest who always wants someone else to do something for her. In that case, he might evaluate her request as inconsequential. But the story does not say this, so I will not use it in my evaluation.

B agreed to help C but only after she has sex with him. This is selfish and somewhat predatory. We can perhaps understand this weakness, but it is extremely hurtful to people (witness D's reaction). B's selfishness is somewhat modified by the fact that he made the raft, but this does not raise him very high. He knew about their love and violated it anyway.

C seems to be driven almost mad with her desire to be with her mate. Not only does she agree to have sex with B for a raft, it doesn't seem to occur to her to try to construct a raft herself. Perhaps she could not have done it as quickly as B, but it seems to me she might have made an attempt before giving in to B's demands. Her desire to be with D seems to distract her reason, because she should have made the evaluation, which all humans know, that infidelity causes strife. She also seems to have disregarded whether D might make a raft of his own. If they can see from one island to another by moonlight, surely some communication could have been attempted. Her actions were rash and immature, and we can't really be sure how much they were motivated by a true concern for D. Her quick acceptance of B's plan implies it is not D she is thinking of at all. I don't rate C very high either.

D does not have much of a part in the story. He is the wounded man. We don't know how he would have reacted over time. He sends B away without agreeing to talk about it, but he's angry as this has just happened. I don't think we have enough information to evaluate D, except to say that he is not evolved to the status of a Saint just yet,

E gives C shelter after D sends her away. This is a selfless and humane act, though we can imagine that it could be motivated out of his own desires to obtain C's sexual favors for himself. However, the story does not characterize his act, so I will assume it was genuine. This makes him the most caring individual in my mind.

So I would put E on the end of highest good, followed somewhat distantly by A because he valued repairing the radio over helping a distraught C. B and C are about even, though B did at least make a raft (though some might point out that C did at least cause B to experience something pleasant) but in any case, both acted selfishly, though I find that the predatory nature of B's request tips the scale. I cannot really evaluate D without knowing what happens later. If he NEVER listens to C's story or claims that it doesn't matter, I would find that a bit hard hearted. She was selfish, but also apparently immature. She may grow beyond this stage. If he really loves her, he should give her a chance to prove that it was simply a mistake.

So my list looks like this:

E A C B, and I don't know where to put D with the information at hand.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
ok...starting from who i like most to who i like least

most i like E...he helped a desperate soul, had compassion and understanding...he could have very well told her (C) to f+ck off, it was none of his bussiness, but he didnt and he shared all he had for nothing.

ok, then it is C totally....she did EVERYTHING to get to her lover...what did her lover do to get to her, huh?

next, its probably A...ok, he told her he didnt have time, but he was working on a chance of getting everybody home (repairing that radio), which is important and thus he had a good enough excuse to turn her down

D is an ass....he should have been more understanding, not telling her to go away after she did everything she could to be with him. it was not fair, his shame he wasnt thankful for her to be with him. i admit it is not great sollution what she did, however under the circumstances she did what she could, thus he should have just moved on, forget what she HAD to do to be with him and just be happy together

well, the one i despise totally is BB of course...using somebody's desperate situation to his own benefit i consider disgusting.

ok...i wonder what r u going to tell me i am

EDIT:
Ok...I see the key now...so I am.

E - Love
C - Sex
A - Intelligence
D - Morality
B - Power

err....ups, never thought i am just a sex beast with little to no morality

edit on 27-9-2010 by White Haven because: key

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Awesome test I'll post my results to contribute to this thread.

E- I liked the most because He took her in without asking anything in return.
A- Because He's making an effort to save everyone. (Only one it seems)
C- Because everything She did was out of love. And I can understand the desperation that pushed her to sleep with that other guy. It doesnt make her a horrible person.
D- I like less than the first 3, not really alot of info was given about him except that he got hurt when he saw his wife with that guy, I wouldve probably reacted the same way, but if I knew why she did it I wouldve forgiven her.
B- Is just a douchebag what kind of man takes advantage of a woman's desperation like that to get sex? Really really low imo.

So I guess i rank from most valued to least:

E: Love
A: Intelligence
C: Sex
D: Morality
B: Power

I'm not really surprised with the results I knew love and intelligence is very high on my values. I am intrigued on seeing power at the bottom though. I wouldve thought it'd at least be above morality and maybe sex.

Cool test though.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Very interesting. My result was:

E/Love
A/Intelligence
D/Morality
C/Sex
B/Power

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
E - for taking her in

A - If there is a chance the radio he is working on will work... Rescue is the highest priority

C - Should have a better sense of conviction rather than concede her virtue for the transit.

D - He should have listened and attempted to understand the reasons no matter how wrong they were.

B - To ask such a thing in those circumstances is despicable.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Here are my responses. I'll put them in order first, then explain afterward.

1) A
2)E
3)B
4)D
5)C

(A) was my first choice, as it seems as if he was the only one doing anything to get everybody off the respective islands. He reminds me of the Doctor from Gilligan's Island, and (C)'s concerns were of little importance if (A) was actively trying to save everybody.

(E) was my second choice because he had compassion for (C) in her time of need.

(B) was my third choice because he demonstrated survival traits, in the event that (A) could not come through with fixing the radio. And besides, he built (C) a raft to go across to the other island.

(D) was my fourth choice, because he showed no effort to go across to the other island to be with his woman. Lack of forgiveness is not a desirable trait, considering that in a survival scenario, the only woman would eventually "need" to be a "baby factory" if they were to survive long term there. (D) is just a pansy in my opinion.

And finally, (C) was my last choice, because she whored herself out to have a raft built for her, when she could have demonstrated some survival traits and built one herself. Not only did she violate her love/trust of (D), but she used her apparently only useful tool (sex) to get what she wanted. Not exactly the type of person that I would want to rely on to survive if push came to shove.

Well, I'm awaiting the answers to the test.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

edit to add: it seems as if the key was already given out...hahaha. Here is how I scored:

Intelligence
Love
Power
Morality
Sex

Very interesting if you ask me....hmmmm.....Thanks for the test OP!

edit on 27-9-2010 by truthseeker1984 because: added more content

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
A=Best
C=Worst
BDE=anyway you want,just actting like humans.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
How fun, thanks. Mine goes as follows, from most liked to least liked.

A- He's taking the initiative to get off the island which should be the 1st priority.
E- What a nice guy! He helped someone who needed it.
D- Meh, He shouldve built a raft to get to her.
C- Regroup, get a grip and step it up. Build your own raft, bitch.
B- He's a tool. Using her for his selfish needs.

Kim

Mine came up as:
Intelligence, Love, Morality, Sex and Power

edit on 9/27/10 by Demetre because: add answers

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
(A) is by far my favorite. He is the only one trying to save everyone.
(E) is my second favorite. He showed kindness and compassion to someone that IMO didn't deserve it.
(D) is my third favorite. I just feel for the guy.
(B) is my fourth. He may have exploited the woman, but she agreed and he followed through with his promise and built her the raft. He may be morally despicable, but he is honest.
(C) is by far my least favorite. She is the most despicable of all, and I feel strongly about it. She may have "said" she loved D, but she cheated on him within a few hours of being apart. She didn't even attempt to build a raft that was apparently so simple, B could build it in a single day. She didn't even try to haggle with him and just immediately conformed to his demands. This essentially makes her a prostitute. She is impulsive and impatient, and there is no reason why she couldn't have attempted to build the raft for a few days first before cheating on her man she said she loved. She gets full points for dishonesty and zero points for effort.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
C can't be sex. B was driven by power and sex. She just accepted the deal to be with her loved one, so you could say C is love too.

D, can't be morals!!!!! NO WAY! .To me he was a coward, who obviuosly didn't love C anymore as he didn't buld a raft or swim to be with her, even though he would have known how frantc she would have been. He waited for an excuse to dump her. What an excuse though. Seems to me his next step would be to jump in the raft and paddle over to B's island and shake his hand.

Maybe I'm looking into it abit too much lol

edit on 27-9-2010 by Tykonos because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369
(A) is by far my favorite. He is the only one trying to save everyone.
(

He could have only been interested in saving himself.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

I hate them all equally. I'm not much for alphabet soup, chick flicks, "Survivor", "Lost" or the "Love Boat".

Out of curiosity, which one is Gilligan?

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
My choices.

A - With 1 woman and four men, I would be looking for the first way off of the island. C came to him first, so why not play the waiting game. B screwed it up. He is the guy you could trust the most, he is doing what is best for everyone.

E - If C gave it up to B so easily, no doubt she will be in his bed that night. Concentrate on survival, and get a little action while you are at it. I doubt his motives are pure, but he is smart enough to concentrate survival. I would think he is the second most trust worthy, and

D - While he comes off as either stupid or gay, he hasn't actually done anything to anyone. He comes off as harmless, and probably trustworthy, but you don't know if some strange principle will lead him to betray you.

C - Total slut, who has no brains, clearly puts her needs above all others. Wouldn't trust her for a moment. But clearly she is needy, so more trustworthy than B.

B - Total moron. He screwed things up, creating lots of bad blood, making sure everyone would hate him. This is the guy who would knife you in the back for his own personal gain. Least trustworthy.

I don't see B as representing power, or E as representing love, or D as representing Morality.

EDIT to ADD - E might want to wait few days, listen for screams in the morning coming from B taking his first squirt of the day. There might be more reasons for D's rejection of C.. If there is any penicillin, chances are A has it stashed, and isn't going to share it with B.

edit on 27-9-2010 by poet1b because: see above.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   

E, because he´s not selfish
A, because he tries to make the radio but we don´t know if it is possible
C, because all she wants to be with her lover
D, on fourth place because B is the last
B, because he takes advantage

When I write he it is because I don´t know the gender.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Out of curiosity, which one is Gilligan?

Based solely on the information in the original example, E is the most like Gilligan.
A is the Professor
B is Mr. Howell (he's really the only one smarmy enough to do it, unless you throw in the guest of the week)
C is Ginger (though doubt she'd really go for D, the Skipper)

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

The key makes me feel better about myself.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
No time for reasoning, sorry..
Like most to like least.
1-E
2-B
3-C
4-A
5-D

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
In order of who I liked most:

E, D, C, A, B

E because regardless of what had happened they provided C with food and shelter.

Then D because they were wronged for no reason.

Then C because although she did wrong with B, it might not have happened if A had built a raft for her in the first place.

Then A because he refused to help C.

Finally B because he was immoral and only offered to help C if he could have his way with her.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar

B= This guy is the criminal element. He can only be dealt with by barter and is discord and chaos personified.

If B were "the criminal element" he would not have bartered with C, he would have just taken what he wanted without building the raft.

I don't understand why everyone hates B. If someone asked you to do a task for them and you charged them a fee for your time and labor that would be an understandable trade. But stranded on an island with only intimate contact to offer as a means for bartering and everyone thinks he's a terrible guy??

Especially considering that once rejected by D, C would have found someone else to be with anyway (like E maybe).

Good post though, I enjoyed reading what you had to say.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join