It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dieting and Exercise Aren't Effective Fat Loss Tools

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Man, I love this, Thanks so much dude. S & F.

But this has to wait. I'm coming back for it later and "digest" the info.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Insulin does play a role in fat burning but it is a small part of the big picture. Your knowledge of human physiology makes me laugh. Are you concerned about the HEALTH of a person? What about the positive effects of exercise on the whole body. If people are overweight they should be concerned about their lifestyle. Overeating and lack of exercise has been PROVEN to cause not only weight gain but also the top three killers of our society. If you just focus on your insulin levels you may lose some weight but it will not prevent you from dying from a preventable pathology. Are you concerned about the health of a person. When are you going to be running your commercial for the next fad diet.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

They eat what most people would call the freshest food. Just meat, veges and fruit. Not deep fried or covered in butter.

They got obese on a "good well rounded diet"

How is that possible if your theory is correct ?

edit on 11/19/09 by thedeadtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedeadtruth
No food just used to be too expensive for the average person to over-eat. It wasn't until the 1960s when food prices started to drop and over eating even became an option.

And for thirty years food was cheap and americans weren't packing on the amount of fat that they have in the past decade or so.

You think the GMO food might have something to do with it? I have no study, I'm just pointing out that the timelines are very similar.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nonchalant
Interesting read, but what about the people in this 1905 video?

I dont see any fatties in it?

Well the people are small, but at first run through.
The policeman in :42,
Guy with umbrella in 2:24,
Overcoat 2:54,
Teamster 5:20,
Car passenger 5:42,
Both guys in car 6:48

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   
I blame the guy, girl, or thing that decided that things like effort and work needed to exist.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Good post and I agree with you on some points. However, I lost 70 pounds 4 years ago... the first 40 with pure diet, then when that slowed down I threw in exercise and lost the other 30. I've gained about 10 pounds back, and lead a much more active lifestyle because of all that weight lost during that year. I definitely felt I was in a rut but guess what gave me the motivation? Yeah, females... lol. And it worked! But I digress... nearly all friends that come to me asking how I did it or wanting tips just don't have the willpower to do it. It was VERY tough breaking the cycle that was 19 years in the making. But I did it, and when we go out and they all have pizza, I'm fine with my chicken-pita wrap!

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedeadtruth

They eat what most people would call the freshest food. Just meat, veges and fruit. Not deep fried or covered in butter.

They got obese on a "good well rounded diet"

How is that possible if your theory is correct?

This is not my theory. It's not a theory at all. It's a hypothesis. And it's one based on over 100 years of observational and clinical evidence.

How is it possible? Insulin resistance would make it possible. But I don't see how your parents are relevant...you're talking about TWO people. And you want me to tell you why they're fat when all you've given me is...."they eat meat and vegies and fruit"

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Both are one in the same mate;

•hypothetical - conjectural: based primarily on surmise rather than adequate evidence; "theories about the extinction of dinosaurs are still highly conjectural"; "the supposed reason for his absence"; "suppositious reconstructions of dead languages"; "hypothetical situation"

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

In layman's terms...yeah. But not in scientific terms. Not when we're talking about the scientific method. And I'm trying to keep this discussion as scientifically accurate as possible.

People make guess or hypothises based on observations. Theories are former hypotheses that stand up scrutinous testing and yet still hold true.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Aye, I suppose technically and going by the book you are correct.

Oh well, I wasn't trying to argue... had enough of that for one night.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Some great info, I've read about half of the pages so far. Lots of disagreement, but still some good nuggets I think.

I wonder if anyone has asked about, or has info on Human Growth Hormone (HGH). If so, sorry, just have such limited time these days, but I'm curious not just for the weight issue, but it seems to cover a long list of "age" issues too.

I'm not sure it's the proverbial "silver bullet", but Silvester Stallone seems to be going strong, and he's over 60 now. From the little I've read so far about it, it also seems to be good for weight loss. Or maybe it just helps reactivate some "young" biochemistry or something.

Anyway, not to get off topic, for all I know, HGH points to a confirmation of the OP, since many replies seem to repeat that things were just fine in younger days (same for me), but then things slow down, next thing you know, fatso is staring back from the mirror! Does the younger body process insulin better? Probably. If it's insulin resistance that develops over time, then maybe age-related issues play their part.

I've heard HGH can be expensive, maybe some risks? But with all the money thrown at weight loss, maybe it's worth looking at.

My "intuition" is that it must be very important, because after I turned 40, it was like someone flicked a switch. Actually, it was more like some joker pushed me off a cliff! Yeah, getting old sucks, but the fact that many people seem to experience the same thing, they turn 40, and Wham!

Weight gain issues are likely complicated, and very individual, but It's got to be more than just diet and exercise.

JR

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
That is sometimes true then again sometimes not...genes play a huge roll in that department..intense excercise and dieting could cause the body to store fat more excesivley..u have to listen to your body and see what works for you..change the kind of food you eat..change your sleeping habbits..what works for one might not work for everyone

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

Yeah, I'm right there with you!

But I'm always up for a good discussion.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by JR MacBeth

Any type of hormone therapy, in my opinion, can lead to problems....especially so in large amounts. So, HGH...meh. If you're old and can afford it...HGH is a good way to maintain/build muscle mass.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Great thread. I just wanted to add that exercise and Vitamin K reduce those insulin levels in your blood. This in theory should also boost your metabolism and help digest those calories better.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
There's a major epidemic of metabolic disorders... a good place to check out how to reverse this is at Dr. Mayer Eisenstein's website, homefirst.com....

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I don't understand how calorie restriction could work in the long term. Say you start off lowering your caloric intake from 3000 + calories per day down to 2000 per day. You initially lose weight, but then plateau. Then you drop your caloric intake down to 1800 and boom, you're losing again. Plateau, drop the calories to 1600 per day, lose more, plateau.... and it becomes a cycle. These figures are with or without exercise. If you exercise you adjust the intake to match the activity.

I have seen first hand how destructive calorie restriction can turn out to be. A friend of mine joined ww. She lost 250 lbs by going on a 1,200 a day diet. However, whenever she plateaued, she had to go down to 800 calories per day then back up to 1,200. She lost all of that weight, but the pay off is...malnutrition, hair loss, and anemia. I'm surprised that anyone would suggest such a low calorie diet to begin with. It worked for her... but she complains all of the time about being hungry. In a way, she has developed an eating disorder. After 7 years she will not eat anything without counting it, and will starve herself to keep from going above the numbers.

What is a sensible way to lose?

I did an experiment once called "eat like my grandparents" diet. I ate nothing but fresh veggies. Meat that has no hormones added in, and home made bread with my own mix of good healthy seeds and wheat. I managed to gain around 10 lbs eating this way. The interesting thing about this diet is, this is how my paternal grandparents ate all of their lives and they stayed trim. They did not eat out often but once per month. They did indulge in desserts once in awhile and they had the occasional soda pop. Is it just good genetics?

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by shiman

I totally agree with you. The doctors should be saying "watch what you eat. Eat a full and well rounded diet avoiding junk foods" instead of "eat less food, don't eat fats, eat less calories blah blah". And of course exercise is a given.

I was reading something the other day about how in the late 80's through the 90's, it was taught in medical school to stop approaching or scolding patients about their weights, because it could create tension between doctor and patient, and, create emotional distress further causing possible eating disorders. My dad remembers when he was growing up how you could not go to the doctor overweight without the doctor saying "hey, you're fat. you need to drop that weight".

It seems in the past couple of years that this mentality of not bringing up weight issues is starting to fade away. And I do think it's time. Doctors, of all people should tell their obese patients that something must be done and continue to encourage the means to change. But it's the approach, the doctor must work on, when dealing with their patients. I think that a doctor to not say anything at all is irresponsible. I know that most fat acceptance groups would disagree with my line of thinking.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Thunder heart woman

Genetics do play a part but it's pretty simple really, eat healthily and in moderation. I've said it countless times before; a mars bar once or twice a week won't make anyone fat, neither will the occasional KFC/Burger King/McDonalds.

If you eat healthily, have the occasional treat and do some form of physical exercise (be that simply walking when you go shopping at the weekend) you'll stay in reasonable shape and not become obese.

If you want to have a better, healthier body then become a lot stricter with your nutrition and start exercising, doing both cardio and weight training.

It's all about how you want to look and how healthy you want to be; I don't see the point in being the healthiest person in the world and living till your 105 years of age if you don't actually live life, there is nothing wrong with the occasional drink/smoke/fast food in my opinion.

Moderation, Moderation, Moderation!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join