It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dieting and Exercise Aren't Effective Fat Loss Tools

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

Food, Minerals, Mood and Health . 120min interview about the same stuff.

Part one
www....(nolink)/?m2vtaayjxaj

Part two
www....(nolink)/?xgrgmg9qma1

Part three
www....(nolink)/?5ysydbxtzzr

Worth listening to if you want to get your blood sugar levels back to normal, more energy and all that good stuff that comes from being heathy.

Worked for me. When from 200 lbs to 160lbs and i can eat anything now and my weight is stable. Been 1 year.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I quick look around the internet will reveal a large amount of research devoted to the insulin issue. In this case, the given name is Syndrome X, which seems to follow along the theme presented: indicating the idea is not without merit. I'd coordinate that information with blood type groupings and see if that works for you.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
For those who are blatantly assuming hormonal imbalances occur merely in a small subset of the population:

Hyperinsulinemia. A link between hypertension obesity and glucose intolerance.

We conclude that insulin resistance and/or hyperinsulinemia (a) are present in the majority of hypertensives, (b) constitute a common pathophysiologic feature of obesity, glucose intolerance, and hypertension, possibly explaining their ubiquitous association, and (c) may be linked to the increased peripheral vascular resistance of hypertension, which is putatively related to elevated intracellular sodium concentration.

High levels of insulin are almost always present in obese, diabetic, atherosclerotic (heart disease) and hypertensive (high blood pressure) individuals. It is not a rare happenstance. And while there are genetic expressions to which IR can be attributed, inheritence doesn't explain the vast amount of incidence observed.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteD2012
reply to post by Final Solstice

So you wouldnt recommend a permenent ketogenic diet for bodybuilders or people in general?. I myself am considering trying the ketogenic diet, while still doing a lot of weightlifting and some cardio workout.

It is possible to actually gain muscle while on a ketogenic diet, this would require you to eat tons of fat so your protein intake can also go up. Some people can do it and I myself have actually made a decent amount of muscle gain while partaking on this way of eating. Just make sure you do a refeed on carbs 1 or 2 days a week, this well help restore your glycogen storage and aid you in a very heavy lifting day once the refeed is over, this refeed and lifting day is very important for trying to build muscle aswell as push yourself back into Keto quickly.

Though it is possible to gain muscle while doing keto, keto is much more efficient for cutting up and defining. Also, worry not because Keto is very good muscle sparing, meaning you are not likely to lose any muscle while on this diet. I actually plan on doing cycles with keto. When the winter gets here I will probably go off of it for a few months to try and bulk up and throw a good amount of muscle on and then the other 9 months out of the year I will go right back on it. We will see though, I've come to dislike carbs...I'm very sensitive to them.

I say give it a shot atleast, especially if your goal is to lose some weight. PM me if you have any other questions or want some good links to visit for more information.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
I'm confused

If Obesity is not caused by overeating then how come there is a direct historic correlation between the amount of calories consumed at a point in time and the obesity rate at that time?

I made it pretty clear that an increase in body mass (fat gain) is associated with a positive caloric balance. That would account for the calorie consumption increasing as obesity rates increase. Your astute observation, however, does not provide an arrow of causality.

and how come this particular genetic disease was virtually unheard of within the mass population a hundred years ago when food was scarce?

Firstly, it's not a genetic disease. Secondly, nobody even knew what insulin was 100 years ago, much less it's physiological effects.

and how come in less developed countries right now where food is still a luxury is the disease of obesity still virtually unknown?

Not really sure what you're asking here. Are you asking why less affluent populations with limited resources and caloric intake don't have obesity? Well, you certainly forgot about the Pima indians. They were an affluent culture with an abundance of food at one time. They were robust and in great health, until the gold rush destroyed their food source and their economy. At which point, they relied on limited government rations and became obese and diabetic....extremely so. In fact, 1 in 2 adult Pima females are diabetic and the vast majority of the Pima are indeed obese.

We're talking about going from healthy and in great shape during times of caloric abundance, and then during hard times and rationed food supplies...became fat and diabetic. That's a pretty major paradox......and there's plenty more examples from around the world.

How come this chart that shows obesity rates in different countries, matches more or less exactly with thismap of countries sorted by calorie intake?

Because the fatter you are, generally, the more you eat.

If bread is so good at making you obese how come when people more or less lived on bread alone like medieval peasants that obesity was not a problem?

Considering that you're talking about extremely unsanitary conditions, extremely poor and, most importantly, you're talking about a time period that lacked accurate scientific observations. Even still, not a lot is known of dietary influences on health. Besides, everyone was dying of infectious diseases.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Teebs
if I were to suddenly increase the calories I am consuming to above the level that I am burning them, my body would of course store (what it could not use for energy) fat, regardless of the fact that my body is producing almost no insulin.

Well, without understanding your entire situation (sex, age, physical activity level, food sensitivities and body fat %) it's really hard for me to give you a reason for what's happening; however, and I mean this sincerely, your anecdotes don't mean very much given the context. I'm not saying you're wrong....but if you noticed, I haven't provided any of my own personal anecdotes for the same reason. Just one question....have you actually measured your serum insulin levels fasting and postprandial?

Animal and human lab studies have shown that a positive caloric balance does not always lead to fat to fat gain.

Of course there are other factors involved besides calories in Vs. calories out when it comes to adipose tissue retention, but in the end, that is the PRIMARY factor. To say otherwise is simply wrong.

Well, considering the compensatory effects of calorie restriction and calorie surplus...calories in vs. calories out-- in a healthy individual and barring extreme circumstances (starvation..forced overfeeding)--don't really matter.

In other words, when you're healthy and you're eating healthily, if you eat too much you're body compensates naturally to maintain fat mass; if you eat too little your body compensates naturally to maintain fat mass.

You should read some bodybuilding forums if you really want to educate yourself. In bodybuilding, it's common to cycle between high calorie (meaning a caloric surplus, as in MORE calories than you are burning) 'bulking' periods in order to put on muscle (which also puts on fat), and then switch to low calorie (meaning a caloric deficit) 'cutting' diets in order to loose the fat gained, while attempting to keep muscle loss to a minimum.

Oh...thanks for bringing this up. I frequent bodybuilding forums daily (for tips on workouts/sports nutrition for me and my small clientele). Yeah, you have to eat more to provide your body with enough fuel for muscle hypertrophy; however, hormones are the dominate factor here. For without hormones..muscle growth is impossible (testosterone, HGH, etc.)

And while it's true that "bulking" typically leads to increased bodyfat...that's not always the case if done correctly. Look into some work by Dr. John Berardi...and G-Flux. His clients consistently build lean body mass and lose body fat while maintaining a positive caloric balance. I'm talking 4000 calories a day and dropping body fat.

Bodybuilders also eat high-GI carbs before, after and during their workouts. They literally eat pure sugar (dextrose/glucose),

Hey, me too....except I take maltodextrin and dextrose.

Also,another thing you forgot to mention (I think) is that high body-fat levels in men REDUCE endogenous testosterone production, which is not good for business.

Absolutely...which certainly adds to the vicious cycle.

As one final note, the meaning of the word 'diet' has become completely misused. Your 'diet' is simply what you eat, so of course we are all on a 'diet'. Whether or not our diet consists of a caloric surplus, or a caloric deficit is another matter. When people say they are 'going on a diet', what they really mean is 'I'm going to introduce a caloric deficit into my eating plan with the desired outcome of losing adipose tissue deposits while retaining lean body mass'. You never go 'on' or 'off' a diet, you just modify your eating plan.

....exactly. Most people's idea of diet means..."Eat Less".

Thanks for the post!

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I can see there is much research done on your post. Nice work

I've kinda looked at the obesity/diet thing in a different perspective. I've isolated a couple culprits that are most dangerous adversary to those wanting to drop some weight. The biggest catalyst to the problem is the diet drink mentality. The primary ingredient in diet drinks is aspartame which devastating to the mind and body. Aspartame is a neurotoxin/excitotoxin. It is also suggested that aspartame is a causative factor in obesity, along with carcinogenic/immunosupressive properties. It has also been proven to metabolize into Formaldehyde in the body (yep, embalming fluid). Aspartame also reacts with the container it is in. This reaction assimilates more trace aluminum into the body (one of the more toxic of the soft metals). There are tons of websites explaining the hazards of artificial sweeteners.
Another culprit in the diet scams is MSG. It has been said that "MSG is to food as nicotine is to cigarettes". MSG (MonoSodiumGlutamate) is another neurotoxin/excitotoxin that is in most everything you buy. It has the capability to penetrate the blood/brain barrier as does aspartame. If you have ever loaded up at a chinese buffet and felt like you just ran a marathon, that is the damaging effect of MSG. The bad news is that once these toxins assimilate into the brain, it is nearly impossible to flush them out since they have separated from the circulatory system. It also migrates into the endocrine system and retards the metabolic process, therefore affecting the immune system.

Those are the 2 big things to avoid. I also avoid HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup). It is also mixed into processed drinks and juices. Although the body needs sucrose and fructose, synthetic and processed sugars wreak havoc on the insulin system. It identifies sweeteners as either dextrose, sucrose or fructose (in that genre)and makes every attempt to process it. Our system is not designed to perfectly process synthetic (manmade) organisms. I'm sure there will be perpetual problems with hyper/hypo glycemia and variants of diabetes. Besides these 3 WMDs I also avoid fluoride. I have a natural mountain spring on my property.

As far as energy drinks go, it's a big problem since unburned carbs metabolize into sugar, and is eventually converted/stored as fat. From what I remember, a couple years ago, Red Bull was banned in some European locations due to the physical/neurological damage it was doing. I had a friend who was hooked on Pepsi. He would have withdrawls if he went more than 12 hours without it. He stopped drinking it for 2 weeks and he noticed HUGE improvements in his blurred vision, energy, and memory/concentration.

In my personal life, I am disabled to the extent that I cannot jog, run, climb, or power walk. I also cannot do situps/lifting due to a degrading abdominal surgery. So in my own strategy, I have to eat according to my activity, keeping my caloric/carb/protein intake in perspective. Needless to say, fast food is my nemesis
as is many condiments. I'm still under 170 lbs and am 5'7", so far.

edit on 24-9-2010 by OuttaTime because: added a couple details.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Whilst I agree with the general sentiment that if you sit on a lounge eating pizza,burgers,fries and potato chips all day watching tv you will be obese for many of us it is a little more technical than that.I became obese in 1998 after being diagnosed with schizophrenia and put on the drug risperidone I went from a fit 85kg kickboxer and bodybuilder to a 135kg zombie.Over the years I have been put on drugs with less fattening effects I am currently on solien and 110kg.All through this time I have been glucose intolerant but thankfully not diabetic but I believe the medication has effected my insulin levels and my bodies ability to burn fat.

If I play with the variables reduce intake and increase exersize I get very minimal results,the simple out exceeds in equation does not work for me.I believe to get back to a healthy weight I would not need a Doctor,Dietician or personal trainer but a biochemist as I believe that my weight problem is a chemical problem.I eat healthy and exersize when I can but all that does is maintain weight and stop me from putting it on which will happen if I dont bother to watch what I eat and exersize.

I have bought a 3 month supply of the acai-berry diet which is supposed to get results in tough cases this is in the mail at the moment I'll keep people informed if it worksl

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Great news guys!
you can now eat whatever you want, as much as you want or can, as often as possible, without having to ever work out as long as its what OP defines as healthy, you will be absoultuely fit as fiddle!
deep fried meat and cheese???? as long as theres no carbs!
want to never lift a finger again or walk up stairs? no issues there, apparently excersize doenst do anything anyway.
wanna live off frozen foods and mcdonalds and your hungry all the time becasue you lack self control? go for it, apparently its doesnt make you fat. being fat makes you eat more, not the other way around, seemed so obvious!
are you a lazy fat kid who eats junkfood all day? sure, but your not lazy and fat from overeating, your overeating becasue you are already lazy and fat!!!! it all has to do with hormones! not ur fault , nothing is anymore!
it all makes so much sense now, thank goodness. i can finally stop eating all those vegetables, they were gross anyway.
i tihnk ill go downstairs, wrap some pepperoni in some hamburgers, dip them in cheese, roll that in bacon and deep fry the hole thing and chase it with a gallon of whole milk! no carbs im in the clear.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknows
Eating less is the only way to weight loss - and that is logical.

If you exercise, you burn more calories obviously, but cutting down meal sizes is the key.

Also, not eating when you are not hungry, even if it seems to be meal time.

People today eat because:
1. THEY FEEL EMPTY and want to FEEL FULL.
2. Its a programmed habit.
3. Its pleasurable and often a social occasion.
4. For psychological compensation,depression,distraction,
5.They need energy now and to store energy for the future (famine).

The natural state of Spiritual Consciousness is one of Fullness/Bliss. Its a paradox, but when one is in such a state, the very energy spent eating actually decreases ones Feeling of Fullness. In the Natural Spiritual State One does not Seek Fullness through food, one is Already Full. God is Fullness, not emptiness.

AS LONG AS ONE REMAINS IN A STATE OF SEEKING ONE WILL REMAIN EMPTY OF THE INHERENT NATURAL FULLNESS.

My experience is that the more fat on me the hungrier I feel, which does go along with the hormone theory.

My other experience is the MERCURY POISONING ,usually from Mercury Amalgams or Eating Fish, will alter ones metabolism as the body uses food as a chelating agent to rid itself of the mercury. It seemed that my caloric intake decreased after eliminating mercury from my diet.

edit on 24-9-2010 by RRokkyy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
and what exactly is your medical degree in? Also, to lose weight one does not need to restrict calories unless they are trying to lose an extreme amount and the restriction of calories would only be temporary. It is more about the quality of product that enters your body. By the way I am a nutritionist

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by mateandbucky06

Then please explain how my parents got obese eating good quality, home cooked food. Fresh meat, fresh veges etc...

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   

"and what exactly is your medical degree in? "

What a typical pompous academic statement to make. Having a degree does not make you smart. It only means you can repeat what you are told.

Give me someone who can innovate, and think for themselves, over a parrot any day.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedeadtruth

Then please explain how my parents got obese eating good quality, home cooked food. Fresh meat, fresh veges etc...

You can eat all of those and still be obese, activity plays a large roll in weight loss

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedeadtruth

....by et cetera you mean, fresh margerine, fresh cooking oils, fresh potatoes, fresh sugar...right?

Why do you have to make snarky remarks? I mean, surely you don't expect someone on this board to explain how your parents became obese, especially when all we know is that they supposedly ate good quaility, home cooked food.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ong Bak
Great news guys!
you can now eat whatever you want, as much as you want or can, as often as possible, without having to ever work out as long as its what OP defines as healthy, you will be absoultuely fit as fiddle!
deep fried meat and cheese???? as long as theres no carbs!
want to never lift a finger again or walk up stairs? no issues there, apparently excersize doenst do anything anyway.
wanna live off frozen foods and mcdonalds and your hungry all the time becasue you lack self control? go for it, apparently its doesnt make you fat. being fat makes you eat more, not the other way around, seemed so obvious!
are you a lazy fat kid who eats junkfood all day? sure, but your not lazy and fat from overeating, your overeating becasue you are already lazy and fat!!!! it all has to do with hormones! not ur fault , nothing is anymore!
it all makes so much sense now, thank goodness. i can finally stop eating all those vegetables, they were gross anyway.
i tihnk ill go downstairs, wrap some pepperoni in some hamburgers, dip them in cheese, roll that in bacon and deep fry the hole thing and chase it with a gallon of whole milk! no carbs im in the clear.

Seriously? you should be banned for taking that much time and effort to mock somebody else's post.

DevolutionEvolvd, I almost completely agree with your points except that potatoes are bad for you.

Here is a news report by ABC news on a Japanese village that lives to very very old age and are super healthy on a staple of potatoes and konjac. One of the only places left in this world (developed country) where the diet is built around an unrefined starch. So don't count potatoes out just yet.
www.youtube.com...

edit on 25-9-2010 by eLPresidente because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
When I got my job working as a truck loader, I went from 170 flabby with hardly any muscle to 150 very toned. I could eat anything I wanted, in fact, by eating anything I wanted, with common sense, I stayed lean. The OP used the truck as a metaphor, but I like the metaphor of a fire better. The fire can only stay blazed as long as you keep feeding it things to burn, but if you let the fire get too low, you can throw as much wood on it as you want, but it's still going to go out. No that I'm not working there anymore, I weigh 200

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by eLPresidente

Thanks! I don't think that potatoes are inherintly bad for most people but if you're having problems controlling insulin and glucose levels, potatoes probably aren't a great dietary choice. For maintenance and for healthy individuals.....have at it!

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Great thread. Hits on a few of my own "pet ideas", like science confusing cause and effect.

I am going to excerpt this on my blog, and link to your OP. I think your research here, combined with some keen insight and solid logic, hits on some fact.

I am currentl about 400lbs. You wouldn't know it to see me. I mean, i am fat but can still run down a shopping cart before it smashes my car.

In high school i was a competitve weightlifter. Ate about 10k calories a day. Mostly pastas and meats. I weighed around 330, and during the hot, 110 degree summer would work out about 9 hours a day (weights, running, basketball, more running, more weights).

Now, i am 38. I walk maybe 2 miles a day at work, but mostly ride a desk. Put in about 4000 calories, maybe (i LOVE Dr. Pepper). The only thing that may keep me from being hungry constantly is indigestion.

But I also prefer a chubbier girl.
So there is an upside to not having everyone look like skeletor.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
Great thread. Hits on a few of my own "pet ideas", like science confusing cause and effect.

I am going to excerpt this on my blog, and link to your OP. I think your research here, combined with some keen insight and solid logic, hits on some fact.

I am currentl about 400lbs. You wouldn't know it to see me. I mean, i am fat but can still run down a shopping cart before it smashes my car.

In high school i was a competitve weightlifter. Ate about 10k calories a day. Mostly pastas and meats. I weighed around 330, and during the hot, 110 degree summer would work out about 9 hours a day (weights, running, basketball, more running, more weights).

Now, i am 38. I walk maybe 2 miles a day at work, but mostly ride a desk. Put in about 4000 calories, maybe (i LOVE Dr. Pepper). The only thing that may keep me from being hungry constantly is indigestion.

But I also prefer a chubbier girl.
So there is an upside to not having everyone look like skeletor.

fix your lifestyle.
and also, nice antisemetic blog.
dr pepper + meat + 400 pounds + no exersize =??????
well, if you believe OP im sure you will be jsut fine........

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join