It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope's astronomer would be pleased to baptize an alien "no matter how many tentacles it has."

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Pope's astronomer would be pleased to baptize an alien "no matter how many tentacles it has."

www.datelinezero.com

Guy Consolmagno, astronomer to the pope, is profiled in the Economist. What’s getting a bit of interest is the story that he says intelligent design is “bad theology” to begin with.
Here’s the interesting story: He also would be “delighted” to discover intelligent extraterrestrial life. He added that he would he happy to baptize an alien; but, of course, “only if they asked.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.guardian.co.uk
www.ft.com

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I know that some UFO conspiracy theorists are going to find this interesting because there is one theory out there that the Vatican is preparing full disclosure ... perhaps to do what various government bodies aren't willing to do.

But I simply find the idea of extraterrestrial life being baptized Christians to be fascinating.

Space truly is the next frontier, with people looking to trade in resources, to start a new colony (and escape an growing tyrannical government), and missionaries, and the whole thing.

It perhaps overly romanticized imagery, but it does get me excited.

www.datelinezero.com

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by mother1138

www.datelinezero.com

Guy Consolmagno, astronomer to the pope, is profiled in the Economist. What’s getting a bit of interest is the story that he says intelligent design is “bad theology” to begin with.
Here’s the interesting story: He also would be “delighted” to discover intelligent extraterrestrial life. He added that he would he happy to baptize an alien; but, of course, “only if they asked.”

Related News Links:
www.guardian.co.uk
www.ft.com

What arrogance. The ETs come here via vastly superior technological means, with an equal amount of superior knowledge of how the Universe functions, and, surely also with a vastly superior knowledge of how thought processes develops in creatures, and WE are going to show them the way to Heaven?

Obviously, over the years, the Church has been trying to come to terms with ETs being out there, but they should be more concerned with tending their flocks than converting ETs.

It makes me wonder if they can ever allow the possibility that some religions were given to humans by earlier visits?

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by AliensunThe ETs come here via vastly superior technological means, with an equal amount of superior knowledge of how the Universe functions, and, surely also with a vastly superior knowledge of how thought processes develops in creatures, and WE are going to show them the way to Heaven?

What makes you assume that they are "vastly superior" to us? That is merely an assumption on your part.

edit on 17-9-2010 by zorgon because: Blah Blah Blah

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

[

What makes you assume that they are "vastly superior" to us? That is merely an assumption on your part.

edit on 17-9-2010 by zorgon because: Blah Blah Blah

Umm, well, let's see, they fly long distances in space in some sort of thingies, they mustus knows about what makes the stars shine and that sorta stuff, and they would surely study themselves and the creatures on their planet to make sure that that they really, really want to go visit some other folk. Other than that, you have disappointed me in asking that question.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
"Pope's astronomer would be pleased to baptize an alien"

Lmmfao, I bet he would be.

No ET is going to fall for that crap.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

I especially like, "only if they asked." Since when did the Church have a change of heart, truely? It appears the tune changes when those you want to baptise might have powerful laser pistols.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

This is honestly one of the biggest and most credible indicators to me that 1) they know something that we don't, and 2) that so-called "quarantine" on Earthlings really is being lifted soon.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I have a very big tentacle, can I be (un)baptized?

edit on 17/9/10 by Faiol because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11

This is honestly one of the biggest and most credible indicators to me that 1) they know something that we don't, and 2) that so-called "quarantine" on Earthlings really is being lifted soon.

Quite so. This Vatican astronomer has had several of his "wilder" statements from the otherwise staid Vatican get mentioned in the world's press. It ain't no accident when such statements occur more than once. Like our progressive scientific discoveries increasingly pointing to life out there, the Vatican has evidently been informed that it needs to get their stuff reorganized to face the coming day, because it will cause Hell on Earth anyway for a time and the priests and the churches must be prepared emotionally themselves to handle the sudden load.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11

Number 1) I certainly rings true.

As for number 2), are you saying it runs both ways? This is very troubling if so. I understood it was we who are not allowed off the planet.

Or do you mean that once the quarantine is lifted, the SWHTF for certain elements like the religious institutions and they're trying to chum up and remain relevant afterwords rather than face the laser pistol?

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
That question was not for me, but I will provide my response.

The primary duty of the church (should be/claims to be) to provide service to the people. Contact will severely hinder any belief in God because it complicates what most people have believed. (They forget the "many mansions" bit from the Bible.) All religions that can survive will do an invaluable service to those people that are after solstice and in need of support of their diminished faith. (Very similar to when a loved one dies and people blame God for taking the person, but will go to church to out of desperation to gain some understanding of the unknowable.)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenUp
Or do you mean that once the quarantine is lifted, the SWHTF for certain elements like the religious institutions and they're trying to chum up and remain relevant afterwords rather than face the laser pistol?

More like that...

I personally think "they've" been here the whole time, on an non-interference policy since the last cataclysm, which I don't really feel the need to go into.

A few different sources (none of them having mainstream credibility) have been saying this "policy" is ending in a few short years due to mankind's rapidly re-approaching the level of development we once had, that allows us to interact more as peers than as livestock.

The institutions that have treated us as livestock, the major organized centers of religion, financial and government institutions, are going to be up the creek, as they say.

Just my two cents and in no hurry to see it all to fruition, believe me. I'm just sitting back and watching these "interesting times" with everyone else.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun
Umm, well, let's see, they fly long distances in space in some sort of thingies, they mustus knows about what makes the stars shine and that sorta stuff, and they would surely study themselves and the creatures on their planet to make sure that that they really, really want to go visit some other folk.

Well those things make them more or less our equals. Tesla had saucer tech 100 years ago, Ben Rich claims we already have the tech to go to the stars... only thing is back in the 30's we chose war as our focus rather than exploration.

If they were so superior... how come they keep crashing when they get here?

Other than that, you have disappointed me in asking that question.

Why? The ability to get here is only a small step past where we are today in public view

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
If they were so superior... how come they keep crashing when they get here?

No doubt the quarantine field which makes the planet act like a gigantic bug zapper, thanks to Tesla!

edit on 9/18/2010 by EnlightenUp because: s ... S!

edit on 9/18/2010 by EnlightenUp because: Laser pistol.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by mother1138

I wonder how happy he'd be if the aliens had the same morality as the Catholic Church of old?

Think 'Inquisition.'

Torture, terror and convert or die!

If a belief-system like that reaches Earth...kiss goodbye to the 'peace n love' ETs handing out free energy and cuddles.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by mother1138

Did he actually say 'tentacles' or was that the headline addition?

Not sure why this makes it to breaking news though...

Vatican scientist says belief in God and aliens is OK
Wed May 14, 2008
REUTERS

The Pope's chief astronomer says that life on Mars cannot be ruled out.

Vatican Says Aliens Could Exist
Tuesday, 13 May 2008
BBC NEWS

Vatican Official Declares Extraterrestrial Contact Is Real

Monsignor Corrado Balducci, a theologian member of the Vatican Curia (governing body), and an insider close to the Pope, has gone on Italian national television five times, including recent months, to proclaim that extraterrestrial contact is a real phenomenon. Balducci provided an analysis of extraterrestrials that he feels is consistent with the Catholic Church's understanding of theology. Monsignor Balducci emphasizes that extraterrestrial encounters "are NOT demonic, they are NOT due to psychological impairment, they are NOT a case of entity attachment, but these encounters deserve to be studied carefully."

www.thelivingmoon.com...

II Congresso di Ufologia - Città di Ancona
www.ufodisclosure.com...

Vatican and UFO: Secretum Omega
www.ufodigest.com...

Vatican Ponders Baptism of Extraterrestrials
Independent Catholic News 11 October 2005

A pocket-sized book published by the Catholic Truth Society in the UK addresses Catholic attitudes to extraterrestrial life. Independent Catholic News reports that with increasing numbers of people believing not only in the possibility of intelligent life on other planets, but even claiming encounters with aliens, it is not surprising that the Catholic Church is beginning to explore what effect the discovery of sentient ETs might have on Christian theology.

Vatican astronomer asks: could you baptise an extra-terrestrial? (Independent Catholic News 11/10/05)
www.indcatholicnews.com...
published 11 October 2005 seems it has since been removed but the www.archive.org... still has it. Just paste in the URL seems ATS link bug still there

Many saints believed in extraterrestrial life: Vatican Monsignor
www.ufodigest.com...

The Vatican Observatory Foundation - Castel Gandolfo, Italy
vaticanobservatory.org...

Vatican Observatory Research Group - Steward Observatory - University of Arizona, Tucson
Vatican Advanced Technology Telescope (VATT) - Mount Graham International Observatory (MGIO)
vaticanobservatory.org...

The Wheeling Jesuit University
Wheeling Jesuit University, Inc. • 316 Washington Avenue • Wheeling • West Virginia
www.wju.edu...

They get grants form NASA continously. NASA being funded by tax payers and claiming to be underfunded is giving money to a religious organization...

RESEARCH GRANTS
NASA West Virginia Space Grant Consortium Research Initiation Grant, $17,240 (including matching funds), 1999
NASA Glenn Research Center, Cleveland, Ohio, $15,745, January, 2001 - June, 2002,
www.wju.edu...

Just go to WJU and search NASA Grants

National Technology Transfer Center

The National Technology Transfer Center (NTTC) has entered its 20th year of providing technology transfer services for federal facilities of our nation. Our work has provided clients with technical and market research expertise dedicated to meeting the complex needs of technology transfer organizations, while providing close support focusing on customer service. NTTC is inspired by the technologies developed at our federal R&D institutions, and is proud of our work commercializing and disseminating federal innovation for the betterment of our nation's economy.

www.nttc.edu...

These guys are the ones that distribute and control the release of new tech to companies...
Look at the bottom of their home page...

©2009 National Technology Transfer Center, Wheeling Jesuit University

So exactly WHY is the transfer of new technology under the control of the Jesuits?

edit on 18-9-2010 by zorgon because: Silly annoying LINK BUG

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by mother1138

If aliens have managed to make it all the way to Earth from a far away planet I'm guessing its because they never invented religion. Let's not be the ones to introduce it to them

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I wish the Catholic church was as progressive in other fields as they appear to be in space exploration and astronomy.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Yeah, I had the same thoughts too. The Vatican can say what they like how ever many times they like and people will pay attention and post threads.

I was expecting to see a few Icke threads after his Binnall interview...so it's not all bad!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join