It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope's astronomer would be pleased to baptize an alien "no matter how many tentacles it has."

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
reply to post by mother1138

If aliens have managed to make it all the way to Earth from a far away planet I'm guessing its because they never invented religion. Let's not be the ones to introduce it to them

Either that or they were unified by one religion, which preached that the exploration of the cosmos is the paramount goal of their species, and therefore a divine quest. Their religion, if they had one, would not necessarily take the form it has on Earth.

edit on 18-9-2010 by Big Raging Loner because: To remove a few words...

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Being the popes astrologer doesn't make the genius

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   

I am not in the least suprised that the Catholic church would baptise an extra terrestrial lifeform. I mean if they are ok with baptising Nazi peadophile apologists like the pope, then I guess anything goes right?

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   

No disrespect to you, but you say you find the idea of the Catholics baptising fascinating, i on the other hand find it to be another example of the pea brained arrogance of these self appointed 'moral guardian' (laughable in itself!).

It clearly demonstrates that the people that gravitate towards positions of authority in religion, are simply narcissistic control freaks. That fact that they have illusions of standing in moral or spiritual authority over another ET species, therefore somehow pretending they in the church are superior is an obvious and blatant example of this.

If ET's have an ounce of intelligence, which they patently must have, they'll immediately vaporise any pratt in a cassock who tries to baptise them without delay. Just as the South Americans should have done centuries ago.

Then we'll see if the church still says they are 'all god's children or not won't we!

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun
... All religions that can survive will do an invaluable service to those people that are after solstice and in need of support of their diminished faith. ...

Hey right on! I entirely agree

There's a lot that the "world's wisdom" can offer, particularly in times of upheaval.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by spikey

No disrespect to you ...

No offense taken -- I understand your thoughts.

Another thing that I find interesting is something proposed by others in the Vatican that there could well be intelligent life out there that doesn't have a fallen nature. And if so, humanity could learn a lot from them. That's a fascinating possibility.

One of the many things that brings up is this:
1 - If a race of beings were without a fallen nature, this would also imply that the Church wouldn't be trying to baptize them, wouldn't it? Because baptism is about washing away sin, and rebirth. I would think that this wouldn't be necessary for a being without a fallen nature. And so ...
2 - The Church would possibly place a heavy emphasis on learning from them. And that is something that would not be without controversy.

These sort of things would lead to really interesting discussions.

But anyway, the Church's primary mission is to humanity ... anything else is secondary. And so the above comment makes sense to me, that the Church and other religious institutions would be busy helping other humans grapple a quickly changing view of "the way things are."

Psychologists would be busy, too.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

If aliens have managed to make it all the way to Earth from a far away planet I'm guessing its because they never invented religion. Let's not be the ones to introduce it to them

Either that or they were unified by one religion, which preached that the exploration of the cosmos is the paramount goal of their species, and therefore a divine quest. Their religion, if they had one, would not necessarily take the form it has on Earth.

edit on 18-9-2010 by Big Raging Loner because: To remove a few words...

Oh! They could be missionaries themselves, here to "save us" from our heathen ways. Some extraterrestrials could have their own prophets and christ-figures. Hmmm ... in which case, the Church could be up against something new.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by mother1138
Oh! They could be missionaries themselves, here to "save us" from our heathen ways. Some extraterrestrials could have their own prophets and christ-figures. Hmmm ... in which case, the Church could be up against something new.

That was covered quite nicely in Stargate SG1 where the Ori where intent on converting everyone in the galaxy...

Now wouldn't THAT be a hoot? So THAT is why they are keeping them a secret. Imagine the Jesuits having to deal with an Alien version of what they spent centuries doing

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

"Pope's astronomer would be pleased to baptize an alien "no matter how many tentacles it has.""

What a bunch of lying bastards.

Is my dog Fido allowed to come to church with me? Will the church baptize my dog? Will the church allow Fido to take part in Holy Communion?

Dear Holy Roman Catholic Church,
Allow the life on earth into your church, then talk about aliens.

The Vatican is full of a bunch of liars!

What Would Jesus Do?
Jesus Left. That is what Jesus would do.

edit on 18-9-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: to tell Jesus off

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I think that back in the 80's or 90's, Billy Graham was asked about whether space aliens needed to accept Jesus. His response was "Perhaps they never ate of the apple." Meaning that perhaps they never fell into sin. If they want to become a christian, no one would stop them, but no one is going to force it on them either.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

edit on 18/9/2010 by christianpatrick because: double post, sorry, timed out

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
What Would Jesus Do?
Jesus Left. That is what Jesus would do.

Well heck would you hang around if your own people are trying to crucify you? Heck they couldn't even do it themselves and had to get the Romans to do their dirty work

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

No ET is going to fall for that crap.

Are you kidding? This is awesome! If I were an extra terrestrial I would totally go for baptism. Then I'd go back home and sell tourists on the idea. You know, get the whole "earth experience." Fly my fellow denebians out to earth, drop them in the middle of the ocean to swim with dolphins, then to italy to get baptised, then to new york to get tasered by a police officer and have a delicious wall street hot dog.

I'd make a fortune in interstellar credits.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Earth's headline reads:

Pope's astronomer would be pleased to baptize an alien "no matter how many tentacles it has."

And the alien headline reads:

Earth's "astronomers" taste surprisingly like chicken

In a clearly unprovoked attack an earthling "astronomer" (yeah, right!) tried to
submerge our captain Dirk in water with the clear intent of cooking him,
claiming authority from a guy with a pointy hat and some nonsense about a supreme being.

Like we we haven't heard this line before!

Is there something in the water of these primitive planets
that makes the inhabitants full of themselves or is it the isolation? Or both?

Read more on page six.

edit on 18-9-2010 by tungus because: to bolden a word.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by AliensunThe ETs come here via vastly superior technological means, with an equal amount of superior knowledge of how the Universe functions, and, surely also with a vastly superior knowledge of how thought processes develops in creatures, and WE are going to show them the way to Heaven?

What makes you assume that they are "vastly superior" to us? That is merely an assumption on your part.

edit on 17-9-2010 by zorgon because: Blah Blah Blah

If they weren't vastly superior, then they wouldn't have ever reached us.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

"To get the whole 'earth experience'" Truly hilarious, LordBucket

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by christianpatrick
I think that back in the 80's or 90's, Billy Graham was asked about whether space aliens needed to accept Jesus. His response was "Perhaps they never ate of the apple." Meaning that perhaps they never fell into sin. If they want to become a christian, no one would stop them, but no one is going to force it on them either.

Holy crap, I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing that, christianpatrick. And it stands to reason that Christianity was intended for humanity. Humanity screwed up, and humanity needed redemption -- not any other creature.

(That's why Esoteric Teacher's pet dog, Fido, doesn't need baptism. Well ... unless he asked for it, perhaps. LOL)

Moreover, the thought that there could be other intellectual, sentient life in the galaxy that (unlike us humans) doesn't have a fallen nature ... that pretty humbling.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Let's let the man speak for himself.
Texans beware, insult ahead.

David Grouchy

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun

Obviously, over the years, the Church has been trying to come to terms with ETs being out there, but they should be more concerned with tending their flocks than converting ETs.

I just had to laugh at this line right here...

We're talking about the same religion that has pushed itself to the far reaches of this world, and forced itself on every last being on this planet for the last 2000 years+, right?

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by mother1138
Moreover, the thought that there could be other intellectual, sentient life in the galaxy that (unlike us humans) doesn't have a fallen nature ... that pretty humbling.

Humbling? Only if you buy into that version of religion. That apple story and 'original sin' is not a universal concept on Earth.

In fact one could look at it another way... what if all these 2000 plus years we have been supporting the wrong side? Think about it... The one many call god wants absolute obedience and blind worship, and if you don't he throws a hissy fit and wipes everyone out (Noah) and he wants to keep KNOWLEDGE away from you... don't you DARE eat that apple and learn something... Bible is full of the "wrath of god" stories.

WHY would anyone worship a god that you have to FEAR?

Now the other guy, that Lucifer, (Bringer of LIGHT) says... "Okay enough is enough... those poor apes need to understand whats going on..." and tosses the woman the apple...

And don't forget the story of Prometheus... who got punished for giving man fire to keep warm and cook his food

God throws another hissy fit and tosses mankind through the Stargate to a barren desolate spot on Earth, the Middle Eastern deserts... and Lucifer gets a bad rap for the next 2000 years.

Don't forget that out current version of HELL was created under contract by the Roman Catholic Church from Dante... his sick mind was just the ticket to create those visions of hell... another tool to instill FEAR in the masses

Giovanni di Paolo, 1445,
Creation of the World & Expulsion from Paradise

Oh yeah? PROVE me wrong then

edit on 19-9-2010 by zorgon because: Classified

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join