It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yet Another Martian Anomaly

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by OrionHunterX

not worth the effort of having a nice RGB video cam on board!

Video? I haven't seen any video film...

But one lousy camera? They weigh like nothing nowadays..

Hell, my phone takes 8mp pics..

Just would have been a good idea to know what it really looks like..

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalM
But one lousy camera? They weigh like nothing nowadays..
Hell, my phone takes 8mp pics..
Just would have been a good idea to know what it really looks like..

And how pray would your little camera phone send back the images to Earth? Multi Media Messaging?

edit on 13-9-2010 by OrionHunterX because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   

And yet we had all them pretty pictures of earth, taken from the moon..
Or were they artificially coloured also?? Please don't say that....

Did you actually visit those sites and READ what was said and look at what was presented?

How do you think a normal RGB digital camera gets a 'true colour' picture? Do you understand the difference between film taken by astronauts on a very short mission to a place illuminated by pure sunlight and returned to earth for processing, versus digital sensors on a camera on Mars where the sunlight is filtered by an atmosphere of somewhat indeterminate composition, and for a VERY long time???

edit on 13-9-2010 by CHRLZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by OrionHunterX

And how pray would your little camera phone send back the images to Earth? Multi Media Messaging?

Umm, the same way all the other pics and information got back??

Surely they used connected data cables...

What kind of BS question was that anyway???

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by SarK0Y

"helmet is only game of shadows".

Perhaps, but it is interesting that the "object" has quite different reflective properties from the surrounding rocks.
You can see the sun reflect in what appear to be a rounded smooth surface in the upper left quadrant of the "object".

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

No.

It could be hematite (from the Greek haem (blood), not iron oxide. Weren't you paying attention? Hematite can form without the presence of water. It also does not require steel buildings.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Am I the only person seeing a road here?

I didn't realize that more massive rocks and boulders rolled up a slope. I would assume those rocks perched up on those slopes in such a saucy manner, teasing physicists and old Newton himself, woulda rolled on down by now. There's so many friggin things I see when I look at Mars pix and I know half of it is simply WANTING to see something. I hope there's a silicate based life form on Mars stalking Spirit and Opportunity and whipping out little wrenches and screwdrivers during their PowerSave mode to repair them so that we can eventually find them.

It's a 250 million mile game of Marco Polo.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
It could be hematite (from the Greek haem (blood), not iron oxide. Weren't you paying attention? Hematite can form without the presence of water. It also does not require steel buildings.

"It could be"... hmm rampant speculation? You don't do your homework? Funny you trying to educate me on rocks

Hematite, also spelled as hæmatite, is the mineral form of iron(III) oxide (Fe2O3). No buildings? Awww geee... Well how about water then? Sure Hematite can form from from volcanic activity, but usually from water, but then we already know that a lot of the Hematite the rovers found WAS formed by water....

Here are some of those famous Martian Blue Berries (Gotta LOVE NASA's naming policy)

In-situ investigations by the Opportunity rover showed a significant amount of hematite, much of it in the form of small spherules that were informally named "blueberries" by the science team. Analysis indicates that these spherules are apparently concretions formed from a water solution.

From your favorite source

I see a lot more sedimentary rock on Mars than Volcanoes and Hematite kinda like the Hematite Concretions in Utah

But as you can see by the dust and the name "Blue Berries" this Hematite is blue not red

And they knew about it before going because they targeted this area

The Blue Berry Fields of Barsoom

BLUE not RED According to NASA

OH and BTW, how do you like the "Critter"?

edit on 13-9-2010 by zorgon because: None of your concern

edit on 13-9-2010 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Haematite also has an Iron II variant, according to the nice people here:

www.space.com....

The Martian ones would seem to be from reduction environments, rather than oxidation environments - it's like when your blood loses oxygen molecules it is blue, and when it gains one it goes red. I vaguely remember sampling clay from the bottom of peat bogs where the iron content was blue/grey.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

NASA's Mars Exploration Rover Opportunity is examining a type of rougher-textured, lighter-colored round pebbles that appear to be related to the smoother, darker spherules nicknamed "blueberries." The rover has found blueberries, which are actually gray, to be plentiful in Mars' Meridiani Planum region.

This is a false-color composite image taken with the Mars Exploration Rover Opportunity's panoramic camera. It shows part of a rock called "Bylot" in the "Axel Heiberg" outcrop area low inside "Endurance Crater." A mixture of blueberries and the lighter-colored spherules, nicknamed "popcorn," lie on top of the rock. The image shows what appear to be, based on color, partially exposed blueberries inside popcorn spherules. Also visible are several irregular, gray fragments that may be pieces of blueberries scattered over the sand at the bottom of the image.

Sound familiar? It should.
www.thelivingmoon.com...
But hematite is red...remember? From the Greek for blood.

edit on 9/13/2010 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

See that is the problem with NASA Never A Staright Answer...

They feed the IT'S RED crowd...

Courtesy NASA/JPL-Caltech

and on the same site they feed the IT'S BLUE crowd...

Courtesy NASA/JPL-Caltech

I say we take up a collection and buy them a couple of old fashioned point and shoot cameras and get us a few decent pictures. Perhaps all that high tech stuff is just too much for them to handle

edit on 13-9-2010 by zorgon because: because Phage told me too

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

No need. MSL will have "consumer grade" sensors.
You really haven't been paying attention.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Thats a little defeatist. Why not send PEOPLE? Im sick of the pathetic excuse making that happens from NASA about the time it would take to get a man to Mars.
Tell you what NASA, hows about you take the billions in funding , and get the god damned job done before someone sues you for malpractice, fraud , and anything else you can get sued for when you take money without performing the tasks you are set.
NASA is government therefore publicaly motivated. They MUST bow to the people and do better with the enourmous funding they have.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I hope people realize the sensors in the consumer cameras are very sensitive and prone to short. That may be the reason why NASA doesnt use them?

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
All the billions spent on these space programmes and the recent advancements in technology and NASA/camera makers ect CANNOT produce a camera that can take high quality photos with the correct and original colour saturations on Mars.Something fishy i smell here perhaps.Get your finger out NASA/ camera technology people i say.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by K-PAX-PROT

Scientists, geologists in particular, do not care about "correct and original" colors. There is much more to be learned about mineralogy by using particular wavelengths, most of which are not visible to the human eye. That is why the imagers use those wavelengths.

The cameras are not there to provide pretty pictures with "true colors". They are there to provide scientific data.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

reply to post by K-PAX-PROT

Scientists, geologists in particular, do not care about "correct and original" colors. There is much more to be learned about mineralogy by using particular wavelengths, most of which are not visible to the human eye. That is why the imagers use those wavelengths.

The cameras are not there to provide pretty pictures with "true colors". They are there to provide scientific data.

fair enough explanation

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
Thats a little defeatist. Why not send PEOPLE? Im sick of the pathetic excuse making that happens from NASA about the time it would take to get a man to Mars.

It's not a pathetic excuse. At the nearest, it's 56 million miles, and if you go there, you pretty much have to stay until it gets close again. We've never even sent a human being more than a couple hundred thousand miles. Never really outside our magnetic field. We have some theories about how to do it, but no practical experience.

At this point in time, sending people on a nutty mission to Mars would likely end with everybody dead. Our robots get smarter every day. No sense sending people there.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

At this point in time, sending people on a nutty mission to Mars would likely end with everybody dead. Our robots get smarter every day. No sense sending people there.

You don't think people would line up around the block to be the first to die on Mars?

Exhibit A:
One Way Trip To Mars - Retired Officer Explains

Exhibit B: Space Exploration Volunteers Wanted - ATS THREAD

This last one was carried in the Houston Chronical, on Yahoo, and Google News, and a few of the major alphabet networks.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Well its about time NASA remembers its not the scientists that pay the bill, but us poor slobs that pay our taxes. Seems to me they could take a minute or two to make us some pretty pictures like they did with Apollo 11 to keep the public interested in the space program and keep the tax dollars flowing

If they have problems with that, give us our money back and bill the scientists, because THEY get access to the real data while we get the left overs

And I cut stones, mount them and sell specimens... my customers want them in TRUE COLOR

Now if NASA would send me a pound of those Blueberries I will go away and not bother them anymore

edit on 13-9-2010 by zorgon because: PPFFFTT

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join